[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1107988 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2900 on: April 01, 2020, 12:51:17 PM »
To the flu, yes.
A vaccine is basically a shortcut to herd immunity. It provides the immunity without the getting sick part. But if you do get sick with it once, you're probably not going to get it again or become a carrier for it.

In theory, you are correct. But the flu vaccine has an effectiveness rate of generally around 50% and upwards of a half a million people die from it every year. The necessary level for herd immunity for measles or mumps to prevent an wide outbreak is in the 90% range.  It would take a long time to get to that level with COVID.

We still don't know if COVID will mutate like the flu virus.If it doesn't, that bodes well for the future. If it does, a vaccine is vital.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2901 on: April 01, 2020, 01:08:02 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2902 on: April 01, 2020, 01:11:34 PM »
To mask or not to mask

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/coronavirus-pandemic-airborne-go-outside-masks/609235/

Today in the Atlantic goes through what WHO and CDC were saying not to do, the pivot and whether any of it makes sense.  Different experts say different things.

This goes back to the politics of this.  Leaders receive input from all kinds of experts, and they don't all agree.  Leaders make decisions based on that input in real-time.  WHO and CDC have made some bad (in retrospect) calls in this.  Our leaders rely on those opinions and make decisions accordingly.  Some decisions are poorly made even without that input as exemplified for all to see, but it doesn't help when leading health authorities are making erroneous statements or confusing recommendations.

Stay safe everyone
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

• All American
« Reply #2903 on: April 01, 2020, 01:15:49 PM »
To mask or not to mask

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/coronavirus-pandemic-airborne-go-outside-masks/609235/

Today in the Atlantic goes through what WHO and CDC were saying not to do, the pivot and whether any of it makes sense.  Different experts say different things.

This goes back to the politics of this.  Leaders receive input from all kinds of experts, and they don't all agree.  Leaders make decisions based on that input in real-time.  WHO and CDC have made some bad (in retrospect) calls in this.  Our leaders rely on those opinions and make decisions accordingly.  Some decisions are poorly made even without that input as exemplified for all to see, but it doesn't help when leading health authorities are making erroneous statements or confusing recommendations.

Stay safe everyone

Just stop your bullsh*t Cheeks.

Yes, medical protection advice can change as circumstances change.  However completely ignoring the obvious signs that it was coming here in the first place doesn't really fall into that category.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2904 on: April 01, 2020, 01:18:15 PM »
So you want to blame the media for reporting on what the CDC actually advised?

I prefer WHO and CDC become more crisp with their declarations and pronouncements.  They are in a tough position because of the fluid nature of this.  To claim masks were ineffective from the start defied logic for most of us, but that message was pushed anyway.  Whether it was to stave off a run on the product or because they truly didn't think it would work is up to you to decide.

Not blaming the media for reporting, but would have liked them to be a bit more thorough.  Most ran with the story the masks wouldn't work.  A few didn't.  The media provides a tremendous service for democracy and the well being of the citizenry.  They can also be a problem when they play gotcha blame games.  I see both going on at the moment and it is unfortunate.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2905 on: April 01, 2020, 01:20:58 PM »

You worry way too much about the "blame game" versus making legitimate criticisms of how leaders have managed this.

There is always time for blame later.  WWII we screwed up endlessly in the first few years. If it was reported that way we would have lost the war. 

These are unique times and leaders are going to make mistakes.  Whether that is DeBlasio, Trump, Jerry Brown, DeSantis, the head of WHO, CDC, or some bureaucrat that lets 20M masks to expire.  What is the point?
— Plato

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2906 on: April 01, 2020, 01:24:33 PM »
There is always time for blame later.  WWII we screwed up endlessly in the first few years. If it was reported that way we would have lost the war. 

These are unique times and leaders are going to make mistakes.  Whether that is DeBlasio, Trump, Jerry Brown, DeSantis, the head of WHO, CDC, or some bureaucrat that lets 20M masks to expire.  What is the point?

Yeah what's the point of holding leaders accountable in real time. Let them keep screwing up constantly!
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2907 on: April 01, 2020, 01:56:50 PM »
Well, it's official :)
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-01/china-concealed-extent-of-virus-outbreak-u-s-intelligence-says

But I laugh at these statements:
“The claim that the United States has more coronavirus deaths than China is false,” Senator Ben Sasse, a Nebraska Republican, said in a statement after Bloomberg News published its report.

This is the wrong focus.  Nobody should care who has more cases, just find the best solution going forward.

“I would urge every nation: Do your best to collect the data. Do your best to share that information,” [Michael Pompeo] said. “We’re doing that.”

Sure...we've done our best to collect data.  cough.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2908 on: April 01, 2020, 02:00:38 PM »
Well, it's official :)
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-01/china-concealed-extent-of-virus-outbreak-u-s-intelligence-says

But I laugh at these statements:
This is the wrong focus.  Nobody should care who has more cases, just find the best solution going forward.

Sure...we've done our best to collect data.  cough.

You are dead on Rocky -- at this point China is irrelevant because we now have a problem.  I was looking at worldometers since I was a bit shocked by the numbers being thrown out by the admin...But...if you look at deaths per 1M population, Italy/Spain are at the level that would be equivalent of 2M here.  Why there are people still not focused on improving our situation as best as possible at this point, I dont know.

• All American
« Reply #2909 on: April 01, 2020, 02:01:54 PM »
You are dead on Rocky -- at this point China is irrelevant because we now have a problem.  I was looking at worldometers since I was a bit shocked by the numbers being thrown out by the admin...But...if you look at deaths per 1M population, Italy/Spain are at the level that would be equivalent of 2M here.  Why there are people still not focused on improving our situation as best as possible at this point, I dont know.

Because blaming others and gaslighting along the way is easier.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2910 on: April 01, 2020, 02:12:47 PM »

Because blaming others and gaslighting along the way is easier.

There must be some recurring theme on Faux News because I keep hearing adherents repeating statements that "when this is all past, China has to pay for all this because they're responsible for it." 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2911 on: April 01, 2020, 02:18:55 PM »
There must be some recurring theme on Faux News because I keep hearing adherents repeating statements that "when this is all past, China has to pay for all this because they're responsible for it."

We have a better chance of Mexico paying for that wall.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2912 on: April 01, 2020, 02:25:17 PM »

At this point I would just take some medical PPE from China.  I would pay for it!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2913 on: April 01, 2020, 02:47:22 PM »
https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/adam-schefter-rips-nfl-proceeding-business-as-usual-ignoring-carnage-in-streets.html

Adam Schefter ripping the NFL for refusing to change the draft.

Schefter is being silly and overwrought here, and likely a shill for the team front office people who feed him many of his scoops. I mean, "carnage in the streets"?
The vast majority of the business world is finding ways to carry on operations while adhering to social distancing guidelines. There's no reason the NFL cannot do the same with the draft. In fact, given the league's vast resources, it ought to be easier for them than most. It's not ideal, and it upsets the "way we've always done it" mentality that pervades NFL front offices, but it's far from impossible, and not at all somehow offensive in light of everything else happening out there.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2914 on: April 01, 2020, 02:51:56 PM »
At this point I would just take some medical PPE from China.  I would pay for it!

Supposedly getting some from Russia.  Not sure Russia should be sharing what they have with us... didn't work out so well for us when we sent ours to China.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2915 on: April 01, 2020, 03:02:21 PM »

I hear that one a lot on social media.

I also hear from the same people that, they are pretty sure they had COVID back in October.

They don't seem to understand those two things are incompatible. If this was circulating widely in the US in October, then it didn't come from China...and we do know this started in China.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2916 on: April 01, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »
I hear that one a lot on social media.

I also hear from the same people that, they are pretty sure they had COVID back in October.

They don't seem to understand those two things are incompatible. If this was circulating widely in the US in October, then it didn't come from China...and we do know this started in China.

Knowledge isn’t their strong suit? Go figure.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2917 on: April 01, 2020, 03:21:28 PM »
Knowledge isn’t their strong suit? Go figure.

Come on man, you're better than this.  Not every other comment has to be an arrogant partisan pissing contest, regardless of the side you're on.

In other news, looking forward to hearing the praise for DeSantis for FINALLY doing what he should have done a month ago  ::)  My GF's mom lives in the central part of Florida.  She informed her about the new rule and she was puzzled cause "doesn't seem like anybody else is changing anything".  Which is exasperating.  Especially since her mom's BF would clearly be in the intersection of multiple vulnerable populations.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2918 on: April 01, 2020, 03:27:09 PM »
Come on man, you're better than this.  Not every other comment has to be an arrogant partisan pissing contest, regardless of the side you're on.

In other news, looking forward to hearing the praise for DeSantis for FINALLY doing what he should have done a month ago  ::)  My GF's mom lives in the central part of Florida.  She informed her about the new rule and she was puzzled cause "doesn't seem like anybody else is changing anything".  Which is exasperating.  Especially since her mom's BF would clearly be in the intersection of multiple vulnerable populations.

DeSantis won't be getting praise because he carelessly has let people become infected and die. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2919 on: April 01, 2020, 04:18:30 PM »

Medical staffing company cut salary, benefits for medical staffs fighting coronavirus:

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/490552-medical-staffing-company-cut-salary-benefits-for-medical-staffs-fighting

A major medical staffing company that employs emergency room doctors and nurses is cutting salaries and benefits for employees who are treating coronavirus patients, according to an investigation by ProPublica.

Though hospitals remain full, both staffing and insurance companies have lost money during the pandemic because most elective procedures have been postponed to make room for coronavirus patients.

That has cut into the profits for hospitals and insurance companies.

These companies received benefits in the $2 trillion stimulus bill passed last week, including deferring payroll taxes, suspending reimbursement cuts and receiving advance Medicare payments.

The memo added that they will be reducing hours for clinicians, cutting pay for administrative employees by 20 percent and suspending 401(k) matches, bonuses and paid time off. Some employees were told that they were going to be switched from full-time to part-time status.

yah capitalism!

• All American
« Reply #2920 on: April 01, 2020, 04:23:09 PM »
Georgia’s governor issued a stay at home order. Said that “new” evidence suggesting that asymptotic people could spread the disease was a “game changer.”  🙄🙄🙄

Oh and it is only for two weeks.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2921 on: April 01, 2020, 04:29:10 PM »
Said that “new” evidence suggesting that asymptotic people could spread the disease was a “game changer.”  🙄🙄🙄

If there is anything to be mad at China about it is this + not allowing the CDC to observe in China like they requested initially.  Based on the NY Times article interview with the Canadian WHO leader, the asymptomatic angle was completely swept under the rug.  In reality this seems to be a major factor in spread.  Now South Korea, Singapore and HK seemed to either figure this out or take a path to test and not trust to figure this dynamic out.  If this was definitively ID'd much earlier my guess is the CDC would have taken a different course early. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2922 on: April 01, 2020, 04:33:17 PM »

Georgia’s governor issued a stay at home order. Said that “new” evidence suggesting that asymptotic people could spread the disease was a “game changer.”  🙄🙄🙄

Oh and it is only for two weeks.

Probably too busy watching Faux News to know what's happening in the real world.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2923 on: April 01, 2020, 04:39:26 PM »
If there is anything to be mad at China about it is this + not allowing the CDC to observe in China like they requested initially.  Based on the NY Times article interview with the Canadian WHO leader, the asymptomatic angle was completely swept under the rug.  In reality this seems to be a major factor in spread.  Now South Korea, Singapore and HK seemed to either figure this out or take a path to test and not trust to figure this dynamic out.  If this was definitively ID'd much earlier my guess is the CDC would have taken a different course early.

So basically, we trusted China more than we trusted South Korea or Singapore. That alone is a pretty serious indictment of the administration.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2924 on: April 01, 2020, 04:46:09 PM »

So basically, we trusted China more than we trusted South Korea or Singapore. That alone is a pretty serious indictment of the administration.

I guess it could also be less apparent there since everyone slaps a mask on. 

feedback