collapse

* Recent Posts

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:20:49 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1108183 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2975 on: April 02, 2020, 11:21:24 AM »
There's already like 40 vaccines for COVID-19.

Johnson & Johnson has developed three on their own.

I don't think we will see one in mass production until early 2021.

It is good news. They will start getting into the hands of doctors for some clinical trials very soon, which will save lives. But we won't put a full stop to the virus until they are available to everyone.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:23:06 AM by Coleman »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2977 on: April 02, 2020, 11:23:19 AM »
Italy’s death toll from virus far higher than reported

https://www.wsj.com/articles/italys-coronavirus-death-toll-is-far-higher-than-reported-11585767179

This is why the comparisons against other countries is meaningless.  The numbers are not comparable or standardized.  Used purely as a political hammer in my opinion.  I’m not sure why the them of greatest country on earth keeps coming up either.  All countries have flaws, and the US is no different.  How do we move forward as a nation to tackle this, preserve our civil liberties in the process (do we care?) and come out the other side?

We are also way way under on reporting cases and deaths. We have had terrible testing capacities.

So all nations are in a similar boat in terms of under-reporting. The bottom line, since the beginning the mortality rates from cases has been high 3-5%, it was experts down playing these numbers to 1%. The Ro from China, were higher or equal to what we are currently observing.

All the information needed to merit significant concern, and to drive a global call to action, as well as methods to limit the spread and impact, were known by mid-late January. The nations being impacted very negatively right now, including us, were because we didn't take those number seriously. The actual number of cases and deaths don't matter in models, the mortality rate and Ro, do.

The current agenda of making it seem like the reason we were behind is some nations manipulating numbers, is purely political cover, the models of this from the China data, if anything, predicted a higher impact than what we are currently seeing.

It's also not helpful, the mess we are in now, is our own creation. We failed to take this seriously, failed in initial testing, and failed in our initial response. Blaming others, for political purposes, takes energy away from what needs to be done to fix the problem.

We just need to own our errors, and move on.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2978 on: April 02, 2020, 11:25:10 AM »
That can be accelerated.....I mean if the trials are working, why wait?? This is vital.

It will take 8-12 months to even know if the trials are working at all. That is the minimum, and may be a little on the fast end.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2979 on: April 02, 2020, 11:28:57 AM »
Trials will be accelerated. I don't think it will take 18 months to get a vaccine to mass production.

But I still think we are looking at early 2021, best case scenario.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2980 on: April 02, 2020, 12:27:52 PM »
That can be accelerated.....I mean if the trials are working, why wait?? This is vital.

They have to be proven to work and they have to be safe.  There will never be a vaccine developed in under 12 months.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2981 on: April 02, 2020, 12:52:48 PM »

Here is a good article that answers your question:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/19/opinion/why-will-coronavirus-vaccine-take-so-long/

This is the process for any drug - even those for people who already have various illnesses. But vaccines are not for people who are already sick. They are for healthy people, so it is especially critical that they go through the necessary steps to make sure we won't make even more people sick with a poorly tested "cure."

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2982 on: April 02, 2020, 01:16:10 PM »

As others have mentioned, there are dozens of companies and Medical Centers that are developing vaccines and treatments. There are vaccine and treatment evaluation units affiliated with the National Institute of Health. There are 9 VTEU's (Vaccine and Treatment Evaluation Units) in the country.

Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas; Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center in Cincinnati, Ohio; Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia; Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle, Saint Louis University, Washington; University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland; University of Rochester in Rochester, New York; University of Washington in Seattle, Washington; and Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee.

They are developing both vaccines and treatments for COVID-19. This article from a couple of days ago helps explain why it takes time even in the best cases.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-31/coronavirus-vaccine-is-coming-in-a-year-to-18-months-show-me
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:18:49 PM by shoothoops »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2983 on: April 02, 2020, 01:46:39 PM »
This is the process for any drug - even those for people who already have various illnesses. But vaccines are not for people who are already sick. They are for healthy people, so it is especially critical that they go through the necessary steps to make sure we won't make even more people sick with a poorly tested "cure."
Oh come on, Gooooo, what could possibly go wrong with putting an unproven vaccine into billions of people??  You're just one of those soft kids guru talks about, aren't you?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2984 on: April 02, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »
Oh come on, Gooooo, what could possibly go wrong with putting an unproven vaccine into billions of people??  You're just one of those soft kids guru talks about, aren't you?

Why stop at one vaccine? There are 100's in development. Just inject everyone with all of them. At least 1 has to work right?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2985 on: April 02, 2020, 02:19:45 PM »

You really don’t know anything about this.

Look at attempts at an HIV vaccine. Things that work in the lab have not worked in real life trials. In one trial, people injected with the trial vaccine caught HIV more often than those who received a placebo.

This takes time because you don’t want a vaccine that does does more damage than it does help people.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2986 on: April 02, 2020, 02:31:02 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2987 on: April 02, 2020, 02:34:48 PM »
You're way off.

I'm saying patients who need these medications for their intended use, not for covid. Those patients can't get these important drugs because some irresponsible folks are wrongly prescribing for themselves.

You have a weird fetish for this medication/proposed treatment. You have posted about it a ton. Why?

“Weird fetish” is an interesting and loaded way to put it

I have no financial investment in any of the drug companies that make it.  It just makes a lot of sense to me. It is a drug(s) that have a long ha of safety. It has shown a high rate of efficacy where used, anecdotally of course  and now you are seeing more and more acceptance of its use.  Even the Michigan gov. Who hates trump and initially banned anyone within her state from using it, has now dropped that ban and trying to grab it with both hands. 

I am following the use of this drug use on covid19 because I want a ray of hope, a light at the end of the tunnel for this country.  We all know the development of a vaccine will happen, but we all also know that could be years down the road. We need something to grab onto here. Is this the magic bullet?  Not yet, but I think it’s upside is looking pretty good

I’m just rooting for the good guys, that’s all. I would think there are a few more like minded people here
don't...don't don't don't don't

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2988 on: April 02, 2020, 02:38:24 PM »
Ballgame for Covid-19

How can you be so optimistic about this and so pessimistic about Marquette basketball?  That is some real extreme right there.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:40:14 PM by MarquetteDano »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2989 on: April 02, 2020, 03:11:17 PM »
Even the Michigan gov. Who hates trump and initially banned anyone within her state from using it, has now dropped that ban and trying to grab it with both hands. 

Talk about an exaggeration.  Even according to Fox news...
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-reverses-course-on-trump-touted-coronavirus-drugs

- Michigan gov banned it for off-label use - saving their stock for intended treatments
- Then the FDA declared it OK to use off-label without a clinical trial, and opened up their stock,
The FDA’s emergency use authorization allows hydroxychloroquine sulfate and chloroquine phosphate products donated to the national stockpile “to be distributed and prescribed by doctors to hospitalized teen and adult patients with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible.”
- So Michigan said fine, give us some, we'll try it for covid

Not as "reverse course" as you present it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2990 on: April 02, 2020, 03:43:55 PM »
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp did not know that asymptomatic people could spread COVID-19. He just found this out Tuesday, and insisted that it was news to everyone and not just him. Spoiler alert the CDC is based in Georgia. It is 6.5 miles from the Kemp's home.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1245709571869507586?s=19
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:47:21 PM by shoothoops »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2991 on: April 02, 2020, 03:55:28 PM »
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp did not know that asymptomatic people could spread COVID-19. He just found this out Tuesday, and insisted that it was news to everyone and not just him. Spoiler alert the CDC is based in Georgia. It is 6.5 miles from the Kemp's home.

Well...you know what else is based in Atlanta?  CNN.  Another 3 letter acronym starting with C.  The purveyor of fake news.  Sensible to disregard the CDC as well as an extra precaution against it all.  Plenty of likely collusion one could reckon. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2992 on: April 02, 2020, 03:56:58 PM »

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60331.msg1228762#msg1228762

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2993 on: April 02, 2020, 03:59:11 PM »
"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said religious services conducted in churches, synagogues and houses of worship are “essential business” and therefore exempt from this stay-at-home executive order announced this afternoon."

So I'm going to go with "Never" in terms of him earning praise.
And it looks like I am going to have to go even longer before I heap DeSantis with due praise.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/04/02/ron-desantis-quietly-signed-second-executive-order-targeting-local-coronavirus-restrictions/

"The second order requires that new state guidelines taking effect Friday morning “shall supersede any conflicting official action or order issued by local officials in response to COVID-19.” In other words, local governments cannot place any limitations that would be more strict than the statewide guidelines."

"Locally, it means Hillsborough County cannot mandate churches close their doors, a rule that drew national attention and the ire of the local Republican Party after Tampa megachurch The River of Tampa Bay held two Sunday services, leading to the arrest of pastor Rodney Howard Browne."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2994 on: April 02, 2020, 04:07:59 PM »
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60331.msg1228762#msg1228762

Really? Really? Lol. I see you didn't respond to my last post and simply say whoops your bad. That post above is the same day from a different thread, not this thread. I haven't read that thread.  I don't read every thread. There are a ton of threads here with people post off topic for days, weeks, pages etc ..or where I (or others) have posted things only later to have additional posters post as if its the first time. That happens frequently.  ...But whatever floats your boat or makes ya feel good. 👍

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:15:13 PM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2995 on: April 02, 2020, 04:18:47 PM »
Really? Really? Lol. I see you didn't respond to my last post and simply say whoops your bad. That post above is the same day from a different thread, not this thread. I haven't read that thread.  I don't read every thread. There are a ton of threads here with people post off topic for days, weeks, pages etc ..or where I (or others) have posted things only later to have additional posters post as if its the first time. That happens frequently.  ...But whatever floats your boat or makes ya feel good. 👍

I actually posted it in THIS thread yesterday.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59849.msg1228555#msg1228555
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2996 on: April 02, 2020, 04:22:22 PM »
And it looks like I am going to have to go even longer before I heap DeSantis with due praise.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/04/02/ron-desantis-quietly-signed-second-executive-order-targeting-local-coronavirus-restrictions/

"The second order requires that new state guidelines taking effect Friday morning “shall supersede any conflicting official action or order issued by local officials in response to COVID-19.” In other words, local governments cannot place any limitations that would be more strict than the statewide guidelines."

"Locally, it means Hillsborough County cannot mandate churches close their doors, a rule that drew national attention and the ire of the local Republican Party after Tampa megachurch The River of Tampa Bay held two Sunday services, leading to the arrest of pastor Rodney Howard Browne."

These creeps will always try to out-God each other.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2997 on: April 02, 2020, 04:28:35 PM »

I actually posted it in THIS thread yesterday.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59849.msg1228555#msg1228555

Fair enough.

And you also posted a plethera of off topic things in the Stan Johnson thread I started, ...about Buzz, many about the Chicago Bulls etc...

Do you see the point? I didn't see the need to point it out to you or Rocky. It happens. And compared to many others, I am mostly on topic without repeating info in a thread.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:31:20 PM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2998 on: April 02, 2020, 04:30:59 PM »
Fair enough.

And you also posted a plethera of off topic things in the Stan Johnson thread I started, ...about Buzz, many about the Chicago Bulls etc...

Do you see the point?

No.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2999 on: April 02, 2020, 04:37:27 PM »
No.

Pot kettle. Stones Glass Houses.

Maybe look in the mirror first next time.

feedback