collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1084979 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #650 on: March 10, 2020, 01:43:29 PM »
St. JOhn's and the Coronavirus

https://nypost.com/2020/03/10/st-johns-university-asks-students-to-vacate-dorms-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/

One of my daughters is currently home for spring break with a friend. Another daughter is coming for spring break on Friday with a friend. I can't help but wonder if we're going to be hosting one or two friends for much longer than was expected.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #652 on: March 10, 2020, 01:51:29 PM »
It would seem that - at this point - the primary benefit of testing is to observe the spread of the virus; the only other reason would be to fine-tune the mortality rate. 

Maybe we could have used testing to determine prophylactic/preemptive measures early on... which, incidentally, was pretty much the point of my original post on page 1.  But at this point a) we now have a much better idea of the relative mortality of the virus (not to mention high-risk groups) and b) it's already penetrated our borders.  So testing isn't going to stop anything from spreading... as we've already seen in Ohio, people in self-quarantine are already breaking quarantine.  In fact, the only action that can be taken on widespread testing is to enact selective quarantine measures* on the public, which I would think is a measure of last-resort.

Also, it appears that if you have symptoms, treatment is going to be the same for the individual whether or not they test positive.**  So if it's all but certain that 60-70% of the world's population will eventually be exposed to the virus, and your response is gearing up accordingly, I don't see any benefit in testing everyone.

*Selective quarantine measures are not putting entire cities, states, regions under quarantine... SQM is rounding people up who have tested positive and forcibly putting them under quarantine, be that in their home or elsewhere.

**Please note that I did not say "treatment is the same for everyone whether or not they test positive."  Obviously you are not going to treat a healthy 26-year old with symptoms the same way you treat a 62-year old with symptoms.  But if the 62-year old tests positive, you're going to treat them the same way as if he she did not test positive.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #653 on: March 10, 2020, 01:53:53 PM »
This seems like a sensible article:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/solutions/2020/03/10/uw-madison-health-expert-has-advice-on-how-to-fight-coronavirus/5004659002/

No health expert should ever end an article with "May the force be with you." 

(Not to mention that health experts should stick to health issues and let psychologists and economists handle the psychology and economic issues, respectively.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #654 on: March 10, 2020, 02:00:36 PM »
One of my daughters is currently home for spring break with a friend. Another daughter is coming for spring break on Friday with a friend. I can't help but wonder if we're going to be hosting one or two friends for much longer than was expected.

Just got off the phone with a colleague with a daughter at UMass...they've been told they aren't coming back after spring break and that all classes will be virtual for the remainder of the semester. Harvard is going on a break a week early and doing the same thing.

Looks like generally organizations are taking steps to flatten the infection curve and to Benny's point, just about everyone will get it and self-treat whether they know it or not. Hopefully the curve flattens enough in the next 3 weeks that the health systems manage through and we all have a good laugh about it over beers this summer.

I do wonder if the lasting impact of this virus is the acceleration of social distancing that was already going on(kids facetiming while hanging out instead of playing together in the same room or works tele-commuting, etc).
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #655 on: March 10, 2020, 02:02:49 PM »

I do wonder if the lasting impact of this virus is the acceleration of social distancing that was already going on(kids facetiming while hanging out instead of playing together in the same room or works tele-commuting, etc).

I've also been thinking about lasting impacts, even after the outbreak is over. The one you listed is a good example. Do schools go to more online-based instruction? Do companies get serious about Telework for employees who don't really need to be in the office? Do more people get flu shots next year?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #656 on: March 10, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »
Just got off the phone with a colleague with a daughter at UMass...they've been told they aren't coming back after spring break and that all classes will be virtual for the remainder of the semester. Harvard is going on a break a week early and doing the same thing.

Looks like generally organizations are taking steps to flatten the infection curve and to Benny's point, just about everyone will get it and self-treat whether they know it or not. Hopefully the curve flattens enough in the next 3 weeks that the health systems manage through and we all have a good laugh about it over beers this summer.

Super important.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #657 on: March 10, 2020, 02:06:38 PM »
JFC.  Calm down.  Smoke a bowl and listen to Ramblin Man.

You sure do like to tell me to smoke weed. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #658 on: March 10, 2020, 02:11:36 PM »

Interesting thought.  I think that would be highly dependent on how the under-40 population is ultimately affected (if at all).  Everyone I've talked to around the country (most in their 40's and 50's) seems to be exponentially more concerned with the public reaction to the virus than they are about actually contracting the virus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #659 on: March 10, 2020, 02:13:47 PM »
So your position is anyone with possible covid-19 symptoms needs to seek testing?

Here are the current CDC recs:
Sure sounds like EVERYONE demonstrating symptoms doesn't NEED to be tested

Yes, that is my position.  It will save lives, and that is what we should be prioritizing.  You start with people who have had close contact with those who are infected and then you test people who have been where the infected have been, then you test the people who have had contact with those folks.  It is an outward spiral that forms a net that finds out who has it, and how and where it is transmitted.  Cast a wide net, catch a lot of fish.  What is the reason to not test everyone?  Cost?  I get that there is a lack of test kits, but that should be resolved quickly.  I also imagine that China would be willing to send the US and others kits as soon as they can produce them.

The CDC can kick rocks.  They're telling people to not wear masks despite SK's advice that it helps.  Their response to this appears to be very inadequate on the surface as well.  Hopefully, they have a better plan than, 'wait and see'.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #660 on: March 10, 2020, 02:21:21 PM »
I have three coworkers within a couple feet with kids under 5, and two that are older plus two older parents both with asthma. My concern is infecting them, if I get it I'd be scared a bit (shortness of breath freaks me out) but the huge concern would be spreading it. Thus I'd like to know if I have it rather than fight it with chicken soup and a humidifier.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #661 on: March 10, 2020, 03:09:04 PM »
The CDC can kick rocks.  They're telling people to not wear masks despite SK's advice that it helps.

Or how about you leave the masks to the people who actually need them.  Healthcare workers and people who are sick.

I picture you walking around with three masks layered on each other.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #662 on: March 10, 2020, 03:13:09 PM »
What is the reason to not test everyone? 

Panic?  General misunderstanding of Covid-19?  Hoarding?  President Biden? 

Sure, all of that's happening already. 

Imagine what would happen if 50 million people - most without symptoms - happened to test positive... Mass panic?  Breakdown of rational thought/discourse?  Nationwide shortages of basic human needs?  President Pelosi (by line-of-succession)?

FFS, Hards... you're barely still on the rails as it is.  I really don't want to see you - or anyone, for that matter - on WMTV news with Molotov cocktails in tow.

If you are going full tin-foil... here's an excellent reason not to test: Because the faster we can expose all Americans, the faster we can build up an immunity that's effective against all strains of Covid-19 strain before the virus mutates into something much more lethal, which is what the Wuhan bioweapons lab originally intended before one of their researchers didn't properly go through de-con protocol before running out to the market to pick-up the celebratory bat-wing stew for the office lunch party.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #663 on: March 10, 2020, 03:18:49 PM »

The CDC can kick rocks.  They're telling people to not wear masks despite SK's advice that it helps.  Their response to this appears to be very inadequate on the surface as well.  Hopefully, they have a better plan than, 'wait and see'.

Masks will stop you from SPREADING. Masks will do nothing to stop you from RECEIVING.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #664 on: March 10, 2020, 03:25:52 PM »
Marquette cancels all University-sponsored events during BET in NY.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #665 on: March 10, 2020, 03:30:38 PM »

Imagine what would happen if 50 million people - most without symptoms - happened to test positive... Mass panic?  Breakdown of rational thought/discourse?  Nationwide shortages of basic human needs?  President Pelosi (by line-of-succession)?

FFS, Hards... you're barely still on the rails as it is.  I really don't want to see you - or anyone, for that matter - on WMTV news with Molotov cocktails in tow.

If you are going full tin-foil... here's an excellent reason not to test: Because the faster we can expose all Americans, the faster we can build up an immunity that's effective against all strains of Covid-19 strain before the virus mutates into something much more lethal, which is what the Wuhan bioweapons lab originally intended before one of their researchers didn't properly go through de-con protocol before running out to the market to pick-up the celebratory bat-wing stew for the office lunch party.

To the extent that at least this part of that post was serious, viral infections tend to mutate to less-lethal forms of the disease, not more.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #666 on: March 10, 2020, 03:38:51 PM »
Or how about you leave the masks to the people who actually need them.  Healthcare workers and people who are sick.

I picture you walking around with three masks layered on each other.

Lol.  Respirators are not masks.  I think the confusion lies there.  I don't wear either, ever.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #667 on: March 10, 2020, 03:39:27 PM »
Masks will stop you from SPREADING. Masks will do nothing to stop you from RECEIVING.

I'm very aware.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #668 on: March 10, 2020, 03:41:52 PM »

What have I said is til-foily?  You guys act as if I'm hunkered in a bunker.  I'm not.  I've been saying the same things for over a month.  If you guys want to listen to the CDC that's fine.  I'm just telling you what is reported to work in other places, and then questioning why we aren't following what works.  We are still in the denial phase of this.  My guess is reality starts to hit hard by the end of next week.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #669 on: March 10, 2020, 04:02:24 PM »
This image was posted by someone in my LinkedIn Network, so if the curve is off on the 'days' delay, I apologize.  This however, is why I think testing is broad testing is not a bad idea.   None of these countries have shown the ability to yet contain the outbreak or protect vulnerable areas (i.e. nursing homes).  Thus far only a few Asian countries have--and it has been aggressive.  So as Eng said earlier--slow it down, allow the health system and medical supply chain to catch up and make it to the months that hopefully present a lower risk of transmission. 

I also cannot think of areas where less info leads to less uncertainty/panic.   

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:30:16 PM by mu_hilltopper »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #670 on: March 10, 2020, 04:18:44 PM »
Yes, that is my position.  It will save lives, and that is what we should be prioritizing.  You start with people who have had close contact with those who are infected and then you test people who have been where the infected have been, then you test the people who have had contact with those folks.  It is an outward spiral that forms a net that finds out who has it, and how and where it is transmitted.  Cast a wide net, catch a lot of fish.  What is the reason to not test everyone?  Cost?  I get that there is a lack of test kits, but that should be resolved quickly.  I also imagine that China would be willing to send the US and others kits as soon as they can produce them.

I disagree.

If treatment is the same regardless whether a test result is positive or negative, then you don't need the test.

What changes with individual treatment for not at-risk populations? And if they are at-risk, go to the hospital. This is basic medical care/decision-making.

Confused about the "it will save lives" statement.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #671 on: March 10, 2020, 04:25:27 PM »
I disagree.

If treatment is the same regardless whether a test result is positive or negative, then you don't need the test.

What changes with individual treatment for not at-risk populations? And if they are at-risk, go to the hospital. This is basic medical care/decision-making.

Confused about the "it will save lives" statement.

We don't have the beds to deal with the at-risk people.  You want to slow the infection rate, and you do that by finding out who is sick and isolating them from big gatherings of people so that we slow down the infection rate.  To put it another way, if you were infected and you knew would you go see grandma at the retirement home?  No, at least I hope the answer is no.  If you don't know you're infected, you may just go anyway.  Now, you may not go if you have the sniffles or flu, but you're smarter, you're educated.  There are a lot of stupid Americans out there.  And this doesn't even account for the asymptomatic spread.  If you don't know you are infected, and are showing no symptoms, you can still spread this.

So that is why we should be testing everyone on the outward spiral.  If we just let this spread without information, we will see results like Italy, Iran, or Hubei province. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #672 on: March 10, 2020, 04:35:00 PM »
We don't have the beds to deal with the at-risk people.  You want to slow the infection rate, and you do that by finding out who is sick and isolating them from big gatherings of people so that we slow down the infection rate.  To put it another way, if you were infected and you knew would you go see grandma at the retirement home?  No, at least I hope the answer is no.  If you don't know you're infected, you may just go anyway.  Now, you may not go if you have the sniffles or flu, but you're smarter, you're educated.  There are a lot of stupid Americans out there.  And this doesn't even account for the asymptomatic spread.  If you don't know you are infected, and are showing no symptoms, you can still spread this.

So that is why we should be testing everyone on the outward spiral.  If we just let this spread without information, we will see results like Italy, Iran, or Hubei province.

So what if I get tested, don't have it, catch it the next day, and go visit grandma a few days later?

How often do you expect everyone to get tested?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #673 on: March 10, 2020, 04:36:21 PM »
So what if I get tested, don't have it, catch it the next day, and go visit grandma a few days later?

How often do you expect everyone to get tested?

EvErY sIx HoUrS!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #674 on: March 10, 2020, 04:38:09 PM »

Help me out here.   "Expert advice" says the same thing, that masks are for the unwell, to keep their germs in.  Healthy people don't need them.

Then why are health care professionals wearing masks?

feedback