[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1085442 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #500 on: March 07, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »
Could be da best thin' for MU if da BET is canceled, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #501 on: March 07, 2020, 06:09:15 PM »
Want a tremendous thread of doom?  Read this thread:

https://twitter.com/LizSpecht/status/1236095180459003909

That is why countries have been responding so aggressively, and why there is a lot of media coverage. The good news, I think it is working.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #502 on: March 07, 2020, 06:13:29 PM »

That was interesting.  Guess there is math to support my paranoia. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #503 on: March 07, 2020, 06:27:49 PM »
Honestly, after reading that thread .. and once you take the leap that C19 is not going to be controlled .. it's just a matter of time.   The author presupposes a doubling-rate of 6 days .. fine, maybe we can make that 12 days, so instead of billions infected by July, it's ~October.     Yay?

Seems like only a matter of time, like 4-6 weeks where all schooling is closed.  All cruise ships, closed.  Air travel will be 75% closed.   Hotels, closed.  Restaurants, closed.  Churches, closed.  On and on.

That seems like .. the beginning of a global great depression?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #504 on: March 07, 2020, 06:31:26 PM »
Honestly, after reading that thread .. and once you take the leap that C19 is not going to be controlled .. it's just a matter of time.   The author presupposes a doubling-rate of 6 days .. fine, maybe we can make that 12 days, so instead of billions infected by July, it's ~October.     Yay?

Seems like only a matter of time, like 4-6 weeks where all schooling is closed.  All cruise ships, closed.  Air travel will be 75% closed.   Hotels, closed.  Restaurants, closed.  Churches, closed.  On and on.

China checked it and it will be a 1-2 quarter recession for them.  So I guess it depends on when the rest of the world can get to peak infection.  My guess is it will take ROW longer due to either worse health systems (emerging markets) or freedom (developed). 

Edit: obviously if this is slowed down by weather, people decide to accept risk or vaccine can completely change it to the positive. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 06:42:18 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #505 on: March 07, 2020, 06:41:23 PM »

And then there's this https://www.businessinsider.com/presentation-us-hospitals-preparing-for-millions-of-hospitalizations-2020-3

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #506 on: March 07, 2020, 06:53:15 PM »
Flu truther?

Go to the top of this page and you will see

Total recovered = 58,359
Total Death = 3,558

No divide them to get the Case Fatality Ratio (CFR)
3,558 / 58,359 = 6.1%
Of all the resolved cases, 6.1% die

2018/2019 flu season
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

Total = 35,520,883
Recovered = 35,486,726
Dead = 34,157

34,157 / 35,486,786 = .096% (2018/2018 CFR)

Coronavirus is 63.5x (6.1%/0.096%) deadlier than the seasonal flu.

Classic Heisey misdirection addressing 0.0% of what I was talking to.

If a disease normally kills .5% of red haired green eyed people, and a new strain now kills 3% of red haired green eyed people, but still .01% of non-red haired green eye people, creating panic and paranoia about that disease to everyone that is not red haired and green eyed is excessive and irresponsible.

That 58,000 does not account for all Covid cases which required no hospitalization or care, which likely number in the hundreds of thousands.

But keep banging your drum to help your AAPL short

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #507 on: March 07, 2020, 07:01:55 PM »
Please read the first sentence of the story

The University of Washington said on Friday that it would cancel in-person classes and have students take courses and finals remotely while the Seattle area grapples with a growing coronavirus outbreak, in a move that other colleges around the country are preparing to follow if the virus becomes more widespread.

and since you missed that, you probably also missed this in the middle

The University of Washington, with 50,000 students on three campuses across the Seattle region, was apparently the first large college in the United States to make the shift entirely to online classes amid virus concerns. It said the change would begin Monday and continue through the remainder of the winter quarter, which ends March 20. The university’s president, Ana Mari Cauce, said she was hopeful that normal classes would resume during the spring quarter.

Oh wait, I said semester and it says quarter.  Stand corrected on that minor point.  But ... they are not going back in late March.  This is not ending in two weeks.

It’s not a minor point. The quarter is just a couple of weeks. A semester would imply May.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #508 on: March 07, 2020, 07:04:05 PM »
The media has made this out to be a frightening ordeal for everyone, the ABC news special report on Friday night was reminiscent of the somber reports of terror attacks.  If you're in one of the demographic groups that are susceptible to pneumonia or garden variety influenza complications, then by all means make preparations and precautions.  But cancelling months of classes, bringing businesses fully to a halt, encouraging people to postpone or cancel vacation/travel plans 1/2/3 months in the future?  Thats where I'm getting a bit sick of the media bias and narrative.

Think of cancelling classes, businesses, etc as a flu shot*.  If you're healthy, you don't really need a flu shot - you'll survive the flu.  But healthy people get flu shots to avoid getting sick and spreading it to a vulnerable population.  THAT is why it's important to cancel things and slow the spread.  Most people have someone, or lots of someones of age 70+ in their life that they care about.  Those people can take precautions, but if you're not, or businesses or classes don't care, a lot more of those people will die.

* - I'm certainly not comparing COVID-19 to the flu.

I am not personally scared of having the virus.  I bet I will persevere.  More so I am cautious about contracting and infecting others.  If there’s anything I can do to stop that while not going full China lockdown it’s a win. 

And that's essentially the correct perspective.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #509 on: March 07, 2020, 08:37:02 PM »

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #510 on: March 07, 2020, 11:21:51 PM »
China checked it and it will be a 1-2 quarter recession for them.  So I guess it depends on when the rest of the world can get to peak infection.  My guess is it will take ROW longer due to either worse health systems (emerging markets) or freedom (developed). 

You’re buying what China is saying?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #511 on: March 08, 2020, 01:05:46 AM »

Are you saying it’s way worse from them (meaning more than 1-2 quarters) or they are sandbagging cause they were in economic turmoil before this?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #512 on: March 08, 2020, 06:52:20 AM »

Based on The NY Times article I posted above and recent factory utilization rates reported by companies, I think it is generally true. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #513 on: March 08, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »
I liked this document ..

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cI_D3ULz6-qoBRMND8dIVz-naW92MqATphBg5bQEIjg/preview?fbclid=IwAR3dK2AUxsebUvy-VFkTqRKrbADDFmv7fcYX4U9wpkr_Vt0XHTjNq8y8VeQ&pru=AAABcN5-6sQ*1EWxzP8ANMZuVQ_HmmvMEw#

This was a good point:

8. I do want to remind everyone that when public health works, the result is the least newsworthy thing ever: nothing happens.

If this all fizzles out and you start feeling like ‘Wah, all that fuss for nothing??’ Then send a thank-you note to your local department of public health for a job well done. Fingers crossed for that outcome.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #516 on: March 08, 2020, 11:46:10 AM »
Are you saying it’s way worse from them (meaning more than 1-2 quarters) or they are sandbagging cause they were in economic turmoil before this?

Actually, Wags, I was referring to statements that things are getting better in Chine (re:coronavirus). When did we suddenly get to the point that their gov't - which has lied from the beginning and covered up the extent of the virus - has suddenly become a source of facts.

According to The Week - a centrist news site - they are still simply lying and covering up. In other words, SOP.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/900488/chinas-coronavirus-recovery-all-fake-whistleblowers-residents-claim

I think we all agree that we don't know what is going on in China. I think we can also agree we will not get transparency from the Chinese Gov't.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #517 on: March 08, 2020, 12:57:43 PM »
Actually, Wags, I was referring to statements that things are getting better in Chine (re:coronavirus). When did we suddenly get to the point that their gov't - which has lied from the beginning and covered up the extent of the virus - has suddenly become a source of facts.

According to The Week - a centrist news site - they are still simply lying and covering up. In other words, SOP.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/900488/chinas-coronavirus-recovery-all-fake-whistleblowers-residents-claim

I think we all agree that we don't know what is going on in China. I think we can also agree we will not get transparency from the Chinese Gov't.

Ok, multiple sources have them closing the Coronavirus hospitals and quarantine centers.  And I can tell you, as well as many others, first hand from clients and customers that many factories are back open and back to work.  Not speaking to long term business outlooks, but claiming its a massive coverup and the virus is still rampaging unchecked is some alarmist nonsense IMO.

Maybe they are window dressing Wuhan a bit, but the country is not longer at a standstill and case numbers continue to drop.  Thats meaningful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #518 on: March 08, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »
as more "first hand" news and reports from guys like wags, goose and a few others here who do direct business with the asian areas, will we start seeing our most accurate reports.  watch the stock market tomorrow-that could also tell us a little more. 

as more accurate numbers of the cases come out and the #'s being verified via testing, the mortality rate will drop.  i am not by any means trying to minimize any death from this virus.  it seems as though it's following the usual story; the very young, very old and the immunocompromised who are most susceptible 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #519 on: March 08, 2020, 01:34:07 PM »
Ok, multiple sources have them closing the Coronavirus hospitals and quarantine centers.  And I can tell you, as well as many others, first hand from clients and customers that many factories are back open and back to work.  Not speaking to long term business outlooks, but claiming its a massive coverup and the virus is still rampaging unchecked is some alarmist nonsense IMO.

Maybe they are window dressing Wuhan a bit, but the country is not longer at a standstill and case numbers continue to drop.  Thats meaningful.

I'll take your word on this Wags - as I have been out of the business loop for a few years now.

The company where I worked made a conscious decision about 10 years ago to not depend entirely on China as they closed plants in Honduras, Costa Rica, Jamaica, etc. Instead, they went to a presence in India, Vietnam, and Indonesia to supplement the factories in China.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #520 on: March 08, 2020, 02:07:05 PM »
Wags
Our team is back to work and have full access to 90% of the factories we work with, which is over 50 and all over China. Many of the factories not up and running are factories with money issues. There has been a glut of overcapacity for a long time and the weak factories are suffering.
I cannot comment on China reporting new cases or deaths accurately, but confirm much of China is open for business.
I have two grandkids arriving in early April otherwise I would be finding a way to get back to China and Vietnam.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #521 on: March 08, 2020, 06:43:49 PM »
Wags
Our team is back to work and have full access to 90% of the factories we work with, which is over 50 and all over China. Many of the factories not up and running are factories with money issues. There has been a glut of overcapacity for a long time and the weak factories are suffering.
I cannot comment on China reporting new cases or deaths accurately, but confirm much of China is open for business.
I have two grandkids arriving in early April otherwise I would be finding a way to get back to China and Vietnam.

Goose, good to hear your operation is mostly back to full speed.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #522 on: March 08, 2020, 07:21:47 PM »
Wags

I have my weekly teleconference Monday morning.  I'll have a China update from my China b pant manager.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #523 on: March 08, 2020, 07:34:05 PM »
MU Fan
Keep me posted.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #524 on: March 08, 2020, 08:00:00 PM »
MU Fan
Keep me posted.

i knew we had at least another great scoop'er here with business ties to the southeast.  Godspeed to all of you guys, especially if you have to travel and your businesses.  the same goes for anyone else more directly involved with this mess.
don't...don't don't don't don't