[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1087694 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #475 on: March 06, 2020, 07:58:24 PM »
A few minutes ago we were told that EVERYONE who wants to get tested can get tested now.

The lies continue.

Is that for US or Italy?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #476 on: March 06, 2020, 08:14:27 PM »
Actually Jockey is right on this one. My healthcare source confirms.  CDC has shipped 75k test kits. CDC says millions of independent tests can be used. That's false, the FDA hasn't approved those tests yet, so providers can't use them (my source deals directly with providers)

Max of 75k tests will be done by early next week, and following the 40% positive tend, total US  cases will be around 30k, but thousands more won't be tested.

If my numbers don't bear out, call me on it, but I think you'll see my way soon...

It's not political. Political are the spin that rocket and goose say we should believe.

this is not correct rocky-anyone who needs the test can get tested.  you need a doctors orders however.  not just anyone can walk into a clinic and because they have a little cough demand a test.  they need the tests for those who exhibit more of the S & S's. 

yes it was political because jock was citing president trump and pence's press conferences given just minutes("A few minutes ago we were told that EVERYONE who wants to get tested can get tested now.") before he posted his outrage.  i am going to take a wild guess here, but i don't think jocky boy is a big fan of this administration.

given the parameters you set out earlier for this thread-to keep it on point and resourceful,  i would have thought even you would have expected some source for the "lie" jock was claiming.  ok, if it is a lie, who stated it?   yes, there are only a finite amount of tests available at this time but they are manufacturing them as quickly as possible.  the same with a potential anti-viral by gilead sciences(remdesivir) that has been in in clinical trials.  it was approximately a year out, but due to the obvious gravity of this situation, they are trying to fast forward it.  if it can saves lives, the risk-reward leans reward, we must proceed with caution
   statements such as the one posted by jock are recklessly divisive and at this time, there should be no one to blame except the wuhan people.  if you or jock or whoever can cite who stated "the lie" and it wasn't someone on the opposite side of the political spectrum from which they stand, i will be the first to apologize and give myself a self-ban for 2 weeks.  if i am correct, i would expect similar from jockey
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:21:13 PM by rocky_warrior »
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #477 on: March 06, 2020, 08:20:31 PM »
  this is not correct rocky-anyone who needs the test can get tested. 
[snip]
  yes, there are only a finite amount of tests available at this time but they are manufacturing them as quickly as possible.

So, it's a lie that anyone who needs a test can get one.  Confirmed.  Glad we agree.

Also, I'm well aware politicians said it.  Many politicians lie to try to save their ass.  Doesn't make it less of a lie.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:22:27 PM by rocky_warrior »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #478 on: March 06, 2020, 08:21:57 PM »
  this is not correct rocky-anyone who needs the test can get tested.  you need a doctors orders however.  not just anyone can walk into a clinic and because they have a little cough demand a test.  they need the tests for those who exhibit more of the S & S's. 

yes it was political because jock was citing president trump and pence's press conferences given just minutes("A few minutes ago we were told that EVERYONE who wants to get tested can get tested now.") before he posted his outrage.  i am going to take a wild guess here, but i don't think jocky boy is a big fan of this administration.

given the parameters you set out earlier for this thread-to keep it on point and resourceful,  i would have thought even you would have expected some source for the "lie" jock was claiming.  ok, if it is a lie, who stated it?   yes, there are only a finite amount of tests available at this time but they are manufacturing them as quickly as possible.  the same with a potential anti-viral by gilead sciences(remdesivir) that has been in in clinical trials.  it was approximately a year out, but due to the obvious gravity of this situation, they are trying to fast forward it.  if it can saves lives, the risk-reward leans reward, we must proceed with caution
   statements such as the one posted by jock are recklessly divisive and at this time, there should be no one to blame except the wuhan people.  if you or jock or whoever can cite who stated "the lie" and it wasn't someone on the opposite side of the political spectrum from which they stand, i will be the first to apologize and give myself a self-ban for 2 weeks.  if i am correct, i would expect similar from jockey

"not a political word" ??  and we all fell off the turnip train

No one to blame but the Wuhan people?!?

The quote was from less than 3 weeks ago my friend.

“I had a long talk with President Xi — for the people in this room — two nights ago, and he feels very confident. He feels very confident. And he feels that, again, as I mentioned, by April or during the month of April, the heat, generally speaking, kills this kind of virus. So that would be a good thing. But we’re in great shape in our country.”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #479 on: March 06, 2020, 09:26:00 PM »
No one to blame but the Wuhan people?!?

The quote was from less than 3 weeks ago my friend.

“I had a long talk with President Xi — for the people in this room — two nights ago, and he feels very confident. He feels very confident. And he feels that, again, as I mentioned, by April or during the month of April, the heat, generally speaking, kills this kind of virus. So that would be a good thing. But we’re in great shape in our country.”

you know what i mean reinko-the people who tried to keep it under wraps.  they should have alerted EVERYONE of this outbreak as soon as they knew.  the chinese officials/wuhan officials i am referring to.   china does not have a reputation for transparency.  this could have been minimized if proper steps were taken right off the bat

https://nypost.com/2020/02/29/china-officials-knew-of-coronavirus-in-december-ordered-cover-up-report-says/

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #480 on: March 07, 2020, 07:23:28 AM »
So, it's a lie that anyone who needs a test can get one.  Confirmed.  Glad we agree.

Also, I'm well aware politicians said it.  Many politicians lie to try to save their ass.  Doesn't make it less of a lie.

To neutralize the politics, the WSJ (conservative editorial stance but with quality and usually independent news division) reports today that the test kits have been and continue to fall short of demand, but should be catching up to demand soon.  (Link won’t work w/o subscription)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #481 on: March 07, 2020, 09:02:39 AM »
To neutralize the politics, the WSJ (conservative editorial stance but with quality and usually independent news division) reports today that the test kits have been and continue to fall short of demand, but should be catching up to demand soon.  (Link won’t work w/o subscription)

the new york times also has some good coverage on this ever evolving situation as well.  i don't know when they started requiring a subscription sign up, but that is the only way you will be able to access some good stuff.  getting out accurate and upbeat information serves to calm the unnecessary panic.  we will get thru this like many other things if we just take certain basic precautions, which should actually, always be followed.  as they told us when HIV was evolving, treat everyone like they've got it.  i'm not in favor of "sugar coating" the situation, but to further lies and/or half truths for some type of an advantage or agenda is morally corrupt.  this virus in particular and any other malady that puts large segments of our populace in peril knows no bounds.  most reasonable people just wants this thing under control so we may resume tending to the day to day chit shows

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #482 on: March 07, 2020, 09:04:18 AM »
I had a customer meeting yesterday and she specifically mentioned she had been following this site regularly.

A number of dashboards, good and bad

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615330/best-worst-coronavirus-dashboards/
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #483 on: March 07, 2020, 09:29:52 AM »
the new york times also has some good coverage on this ever evolving situation as well.  i don't know when they started requiring a subscription sign up, but that is the only way you will be able to access some good stuff.  getting out accurate and upbeat information serves to calm the unnecessary panic.  we will get thru this like many other things if we just take certain basic precautions, which should actually, always be followed.  as they told us when HIV was evolving, treat everyone like they've got it.  i'm not in favor of "sugar coating" the situation, but to further lies and/or half truths for some type of an advantage or agenda is morally corrupt.  this virus in particular and any other malady that puts large segments of our populace in peril knows no bounds.  most reasonable people just wants this thing under control so we may resume tending to the day to day chit shows

Getting this thing under control will require that people are extremely vigilant. That they avoid going out in public as much as possible. That, if they have any symptoms, stay home and isolate themselves from others. If the symptoms persist, they immediately get in touch with healthcare experts to safely get tested. That, if communities are affected, public events, schools, and work should be shut down for non-essential purposes.

Failure to adhere to such measures could lead to a quick and rapid increase in cases to a point where we are unable to provide intensive care needed to avoid death. The result would be high fatality rates as observed in some communities in Iran, Italy, and China, where the disease spread too quickly.

Given the fact that health care is unaffordable for the vast majority of Americans, and that for many, if they stay home they don't get paid, and if they don't get paid electricity, housing, and/or food are gone. Getting the population to be on follow the above measures is a major hurdle. The best solution, is saturating the airwaves and media, so that there is a healthy level of fear to stop the spread. The worst solution, is to pretend like it is nothing, and/or a hoax, or just another flu.

Hopefully people continue to follow the advice above, and the naysayers will be able to puff out there chest and say  "I told you it was nothing." But if people follow the advice and mindset of the naysayers, this will be a big thing. So far communities are following the advice above, and ignoring the naysayers.  Yes, they are going a bit overboard in some of the panicking (selling out stores etc.), but that is better than under-reacting.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 10:01:42 AM by forgetful »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #484 on: March 07, 2020, 09:59:22 AM »
Actually Jockey is right on this one. My healthcare source confirms.  CDC has shipped 75k test kits. CDC says millions of independent tests can be used. That's false, the FDA hasn't approved those tests yet, so providers can't use them (my source deals directly with providers)

Max of 75k tests will be done by early next week, and following the 40% positive tend, total US  cases will be around 30k, but thousands more won't be tested.

If my numbers don't bear out, call me on it, but I think you'll see my way soon...

It's not political. Political are the spin that rocket and goose say we should believe.

edit: nobody called me on it, and I must have misread.  US test/positive ratio is about 10%

Just because it is inconvenient, doesn't mean its political.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #485 on: March 07, 2020, 02:51:30 PM »
  i mean i hope these people had no plans to play the lottery anytime soon

https://www.foxnews.com/world/coronavirus-quarantine-hotel-collapses-in-china-trapping-70-people

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #486 on: March 07, 2020, 04:08:34 PM »
Why do we think the BET will still happen?

March 7, 12:13
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo declares state of emergency over coronavirus outbreak
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/07/new-york-governor-andrew-cuomo-declares-state-of-emergency-over-coronavirus-outbreak.html?__source=iosappshare%7Ccom.tinyspeck.chatlyio.share

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/07/amtrak-cancels-nonstop-acela-service-between-dc-nyc-due-to-coronavirus.html

And this from yesterday

Fans barred from NCAA basketball tournament at Johns Hopkins amid coronavirus fears
https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2020/03/06/fans-barred-from-ncaa-basketball-tournament-at-johns-hopkins-amid-coronavirus-fears-1265944

Does the NCAA season end with the final games tomorrow? (Sunday, March 8)

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #487 on: March 07, 2020, 04:13:52 PM »
No the NCAA season isn't going to end its season.  But the way things are going they may be paid in front of empty gyms.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #488 on: March 07, 2020, 04:24:39 PM »
No the NCAA season isn't going to end its season.  But the way things are going they may be paid in front of empty gyms.

LeBron James: 'I ain't playing' if there are no fans due to coronavirus concerns
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/486428-lebron-james-i-aint-playing-if-there-are-no-fans-due-to
"We play games without the fans?" James asked incredulously. "Nah, it’s impossible."

"I ain’t playing," James continued. "I ain’t got the fans in the crowd. That’s who I play for. I play for my teammates. I play for the fans. That’s what it’s all about. If I show up to an arena and there are no fans in there, I ain’t playing. They can do what they want to do."

He's right.

If they attempt to play in empty stadiums, are they not announcing to the world that they think the players are "expendable?"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 04:26:31 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #489 on: March 07, 2020, 04:34:45 PM »
There are more fans in television than there are in the stands. It’s happening in Europe. It can happen here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #490 on: March 07, 2020, 04:50:01 PM »
Today (just a few hours ago)
Stanford cancels classes, will limit attendance at sporting events, big tech tells workers to stay home
https://padailypost.com/2020/03/07/stanford-cancels-classes-will-limit-attendance-at-sporting-events-big-tech-tells-workers-to-stay-home/

Yesterday
University of Washington went online for the rest of the semester
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/us/coronavirus-college-campus-closings.html

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #491 on: March 07, 2020, 04:51:40 PM »
It seems like Italy leads the US by 2 to 3 weeks.

The Italian government is planning to lock down 16 million people—more than a quarter of its population, including the region around Milan and 11 provinces in nearby regions—in the most sweeping steps any European country has prepared to take against the coronavirus epidemic.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/italy-plans-large-scale-lockdown-in-countrys-north-to-fight-coronavirus-11583613874

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #492 on: March 07, 2020, 05:11:27 PM »
Today (just a few hours ago)
Stanford cancels classes, will limit attendance at sporting events, big tech tells workers to stay home
https://padailypost.com/2020/03/07/stanford-cancels-classes-will-limit-attendance-at-sporting-events-big-tech-tells-workers-to-stay-home/

Yesterday
University of Washington went online for the rest of the semester
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/us/coronavirus-college-campus-closings.html

False. They aren’t going online the rest of the semester.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #493 on: March 07, 2020, 05:31:39 PM »
False. They aren’t going online the rest of the semester.

Please read the first sentence of the story

The University of Washington said on Friday that it would cancel in-person classes and have students take courses and finals remotely while the Seattle area grapples with a growing coronavirus outbreak, in a move that other colleges around the country are preparing to follow if the virus becomes more widespread.

and since you missed that, you probably also missed this in the middle

The University of Washington, with 50,000 students on three campuses across the Seattle region, was apparently the first large college in the United States to make the shift entirely to online classes amid virus concerns. It said the change would begin Monday and continue through the remainder of the winter quarter, which ends March 20. The university’s president, Ana Mari Cauce, said she was hopeful that normal classes would resume during the spring quarter.

Oh wait, I said semester and it says quarter.  Stand corrected on that minor point.  But ... they are not going back in late March.  This is not ending in two weeks.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #494 on: March 07, 2020, 05:33:34 PM »
In total, this covers 12,000 employees

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-06/apple-encourages-silicon-valley-staff-to-work-from-home-on-virus?sref=SgYAAa0L

Apple Inc. is encouraging employees in Silicon Valley to work from home as an “additional precaution” against the outbreak of coronavirus, joining other major technology companies, including Alphabet Inc. and Microsoft Corp.

The iPhone maker has two main headquarters in Cupertino, California, -- the Apple Park campus and its original Infinite Loop set of buildings -- in addition to offices elsewhere in Santa Clara County. Apple also is offering workers in Seattle the option to work from home. The company employs engineers in Seattle on machine-learning technology.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #495 on: March 07, 2020, 05:34:54 PM »
It seems like Italy leads the US by 2 to 3 weeks.

The Italian government is planning to lock down 16 million people—more than a quarter of its population, including the region around Milan and 11 provinces in nearby regions—in the most sweeping steps any European country has prepared to take against the coronavirus epidemic.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/italy-plans-large-scale-lockdown-in-countrys-north-to-fight-coronavirus-11583613874

Of note, 99% of deaths in Italy have been people 60+, nearly 85% over the age of 70. 1 person under the age of 40, and it was not a child.  All of the victims in Washington, from what I saw, were nursing home patients.

This is not to downplay the lives of the elderly, or to downplay the contagiousness of it.  But the fear and hysteria need to be framed properly.  People don't raid store shelves cause chicken pox broke out in the school district.  The media has made this out to be a frightening ordeal for everyone, the ABC news special report on Friday night was reminiscent of the somber reports of terror attacks.  If you're in one of the demographic groups that are susceptible to pneumonia or garden variety influenza complications, then by all means make preparations and precautions.  But cancelling months of classes, bringing businesses fully to a halt, encouraging people to postpone or cancel vacation/travel plans 1/2/3 months in the future?  Thats where I'm getting a bit sick of the media bias and narrative.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #496 on: March 07, 2020, 05:37:36 PM »
A week ago no one even completed canceling it.  Now they are making plans to play with no fans.

Check back in a week.

March Madness Will Go On, but in a Worst Case, Without Mad Fans
As coronovirus spreads around the U.S., the NCAA’s marquee basketball tournaments are slated to begin in less than two weeks
https://www.wsj.com/articles/march-madness-will-go-on-but-in-a-worst-case-without-mad-fans-11583599569

The NCAA’s worst-case scenario for staging its March Madness tournaments in the time of coronavirus involves barring spectators from games, with players screened for illness before competing, the association’s chief medical officer Brian Hainline said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal.

The men’s and women’s college basketball tournaments are slated to begin in less than two weeks, at a time when event cancellations are piling up in the U.S. and abroad.  But the NCAA says it is not contemplating a postponement or cancellation of its lucrative marquee event.

“I think a worst-case scenario is that it’s played behind closed doors,” Hainline said Friday. “It would be very, very difficult to cancel a championship and have it at any other time.”

"It’s very unlikely,” he added of the closed-door scenario, saying the organization had worked out “options A through Z” to choose from.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #497 on: March 07, 2020, 05:43:22 PM »
I am not personally scared of having the virus.  I bet I will persevere.  More so I am cautious about contracting and infecting others.  If there’s anything I can do to stop that while not going full China lockdown it’s a win. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #498 on: March 07, 2020, 05:47:32 PM »
Want a tremendous thread of doom?  Read this thread:

https://twitter.com/LizSpecht/status/1236095180459003909

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #499 on: March 07, 2020, 05:48:50 PM »
Of note, 99% of deaths in Italy have been people 60+, nearly 85% over the age of 70. 1 person under the age of 40, and it was not a child.  All of the victims in Washington, from what I saw, were nursing home patients.

This is not to downplay the lives of the elderly, or to downplay the contagiousness of it.  But the fear and hysteria need to be framed properly.  People don't raid store shelves cause chicken pox broke out in the school district.  The media has made this out to be a frightening ordeal for everyone, the ABC news special report on Friday night was reminiscent of the somber reports of terror attacks.  If you're in one of the demographic groups that are susceptible to pneumonia or garden variety influenza complications, then by all means make preparations and precautions.  But cancelling months of classes, bringing businesses fully to a halt, encouraging people to postpone or cancel vacation/travel plans 1/2/3 months in the future?  Thats where I'm getting a bit sick of the media bias and narrative.

Flu truther?

Go to the top of this page and you will see

Total recovered = 58,359
Total Death = 3,558

No divide them to get the Case Fatality Ratio (CFR)
3,558 / 58,359 = 6.1%
Of all the resolved cases, 6.1% die

2018/2019 flu season
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

Total = 35,520,883
Recovered = 35,486,726
Dead = 34,157

34,157 / 35,486,786 = .096% (2018/2018 CFR)

Coronavirus is 63.5x (6.1%/0.096%) deadlier than the seasonal flu.