[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1103180 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #450 on: March 05, 2020, 05:08:07 AM »
Bingo. Ive been pretty firmly in the "stop panicking, be logical" camp when it comes to civilian approach and preparation, which has not went well with my GF in NYC who is in the midst of panic and paranoia and racing to the shelves.  That being said, the "counters" of infected people in the US and breaking alerts each time someone dies from CV is shameless click/eyebait designed to rev up the masses.  Cause fear sells and brings ratings.

Someone accused me earlier today of being "callous" towards the elderly when I commented how this is not something "normal" healthy 20/30/40 year olds should be stressing about, its more an elderly/pre-existing condition issue.  Not at all, but the media refuses to make that distinction for reasons mentioned above.  For example, the diagnosed lawyer in NYC has a respiartory condition and the woman who died in LA was elderly.  However, to find out that the majority of these critical or fatal cases is the listed deep in the articles or not at all.   Its wildly irresponsible for sanity and public response control, by design.

The issue is that there should be something in place, where there is the appearance of nothing.  We need to let this happen, but it needs to happen SLOWLY.  If it burns fast and hard, we get panic.  If its slow, people just accept it for what it is.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #452 on: March 05, 2020, 08:13:27 AM »
A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor. They don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people. So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and/or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #453 on: March 05, 2020, 09:41:35 AM »
We're leaving you guys alone for a week, but I'll have the neighbors look in from time to time, so no parties.

Super .. our cruise has a stop in Jamaica.  I guess I'll pack a thermometer and not step off the boat if warm.

It's Jamaica mon, things move on island time so more likely nothing is instituted until July after high $eason is over

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #454 on: March 05, 2020, 02:24:47 PM »
A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor. They don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people. So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and/or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.

It's a question of intent. The point (I think, god help getting into that brain) he is making is that the statistics may, I'll say again, give a false representation of the actual deadly nature of the disease. If it's true that the majority of patients experience very mild symptoms we may not know how many are actually infected(especially given the lack of testing) meaning the denominator is smaller than actual so the fatality metric is misleading.

But what is the intent of that? To reduce panic or to be Kevin Bacon at the end of Animal House? Dunno
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #455 on: March 05, 2020, 04:53:11 PM »
Anyone else's company put total kabosh on travel? We got word this morning at my company (Fortune 500, 35,000 employees) that all domestic travel is immediately suspended.

Fortune 150 company, similar number of employees. We got the same message today.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #456 on: March 05, 2020, 09:13:51 PM »
Cleaned up a bunch of crap.  Not sorry if you posted something you thought was useful and it's gone now. 

Here's the CDC transcript from Mar 3 (sorry a little behind)
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0303-COVID-19-update.html

At least, they admit that numbers are gonna climb quick once their 75k test kits get to the destinations...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #457 on: March 05, 2020, 09:34:06 PM »
The issue is that there should be something in place, where there is the appearance of nothing.  We need to let this happen, but it needs to happen SLOWLY.  If it burns fast and hard, we get panic.  If its slow, people just accept it for what it is.

This is a really good point. The fatality rate is high in some locales, because they are inundated with cases. They do not have the resources to treat everyone with intensive care. So more die. If this happens and progresses slowly, the death rate can be kept low, by providing top of the line care for those that need it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #458 on: March 05, 2020, 11:52:55 PM »
For those that like data, just came across the dashboard created by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.  I mean, cool to watch while you're sitting around waiting for your 14 day quarantine to end...

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
https://systems.jhu.edu/research/public-health/ncov/

EDIT: Added the block to the top of this thread.  You can minimize the block if you don't like it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:27:06 AM by rocky_warrior »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #459 on: March 05, 2020, 11:54:48 PM »
This is a really good point. The fatality rate is high in some locales, because they are inundated with cases. They do not have the resources to treat everyone with intensive care. So more die. If this happens and progresses slowly, the death rate can be kept low, by providing top of the line care for those that need it.

Another thing that has driven the high fatality rate is the toll in Iran through a combination of gov't incompetence and a medical system that is in shambles because of foreign sanctions.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #460 on: March 05, 2020, 11:57:51 PM »
For those that like data, just came across the dashboard created by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.  I mean, cool to watch while you're sitting around waiting for your 14 day quarantine to end...

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Thanks. This is pretty cool.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #461 on: March 06, 2020, 06:39:26 AM »

EDIT: Added the block to the top of this thread.  You can minimize the block if you don't like it.

I had a customer meeting yesterday and she specifically mentioned she had been following this site regularly. 

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #462 on: March 06, 2020, 07:24:44 AM »
I had a customer meeting yesterday and she specifically mentioned she had been following this site regularly.
She follows Scoop regularly?   ;)
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #463 on: March 06, 2020, 07:56:24 AM »

I wouldn't want to have a customer who would have this site as a favorite
-Groucho Marx
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

CreightonWarrior

• Starter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #465 on: March 06, 2020, 09:43:48 AM »
This can't be great
CenturyLink Field employee who worked XFL game diagnosed with coronavirus

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Srz9EtLCMQs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Srz9EtLCMQs</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #466 on: March 06, 2020, 10:20:06 AM »
This can't be great
CenturyLink Field employee who worked XFL game diagnosed with coronavirus

Vince McMahon is a marketing genius. No one will go to the games, watch from home, and drive up TV ratings.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #467 on: March 06, 2020, 01:00:34 PM »

This is why the fatality rate has dropped dramatically in China, now under 1%, compared to what it was in the early days of the outbreak (10-15%)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #468 on: March 06, 2020, 04:21:18 PM »
SXSW canceled
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #469 on: March 06, 2020, 04:31:23 PM »
A few minutes ago we were told that EVERYONE who wants to get tested can get tested now.

The lies continue.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #470 on: March 06, 2020, 04:35:57 PM »
A few minutes ago we were told that EVERYONE who wants to get tested can get tested now.

The lies continue.

first of all-knock off the politics!!  secondly, do you have any proof other than not liking what you heard and who said it that this is a lie

this should be ban hammerable but... ?-(
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #471 on: March 06, 2020, 04:59:28 PM »

The lies continue.

the fact that you state this is a lie, is furthering the unnecessary hysteria of this unfortunate situation.  the swine flu was as bad if not worse than this and i don't recall all the sensationalism.  that one lasted roughly a year.  if this is a lie, then show us!  otherwise, stfu and learn something.  next thing ya know, you'll be blaming this on "nationalities" >:(
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #472 on: March 06, 2020, 05:02:53 PM »
Jockey
How to you continually get away with your political comments. The double standard allowed for some on here is a joke. Have to be honest, rather you pollute the non ball threads than trying to add your thoughts on the program.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #473 on: March 06, 2020, 06:20:40 PM »
Actually Jockey is right on this one. My healthcare source confirms.  CDC has shipped 75k test kits. CDC says millions of independent tests can be used. That's false, the FDA hasn't approved those tests yet, so providers can't use them (my source deals directly with providers)

Max of 75k tests will be done by early next week, and following the 40% positive tend, total US  cases will be around 30k, but thousands more won't be tested.

If my numbers don't bear out, call me on it, but I think you'll see my way soon...

It's not political. Political are the spin that rocket and goose say we should believe.

edit: nobody called me on it, and I must have misread.  US test/positive ratio is about 10%
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 11:34:52 PM by rocky_warrior »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #474 on: March 06, 2020, 06:33:19 PM »

Can we get something like that for big east basketball scores?