[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1085848 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #375 on: March 02, 2020, 03:13:04 PM »
Aren’t we down to zero cases in the U. S.?

That’s what we were told last week.

ha!

But, seriously though, two just added to Wisconsin in the last hour.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #376 on: March 02, 2020, 03:30:45 PM »
ha!

But, seriously though, two just added to Wisconsin in the last hour.

source?

All I found was this: https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/two-more-people-are-being-tested-for-coronavirus-in-wisconsin

Which said "2 cases are pending".   (Admittedly, I would think 200 cases are pending..)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #377 on: March 02, 2020, 03:42:03 PM »
source?

All I found was this: https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/two-more-people-are-being-tested-for-coronavirus-in-wisconsin

Which said "2 cases are pending".   (Admittedly, I would think 200 cases are pending..)

Sorry, I should have said pending.  My mistake.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #378 on: March 02, 2020, 08:40:15 PM »
I thought this was a good interview.

Coronavirus Is Loose in America. An Expert Explains Why You Shouldn’t Panic
Keep calm and wash your hands, a Columbia University virologist says. “The reality is we can’t just tell the whole world to stay home”

By TIM DICKINSON

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/containment-failed-coronavirus-spreading-america-960309/

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #379 on: March 03, 2020, 08:37:02 AM »
Transcript of Saturday CDC call:
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0229-COVID-19-update.html

And this was a pretty good read:
https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china

Something the US has failed at so far
In China, they have set up a giant network of fever hospitals. In some areas, a team can go to you and swab you and have an answer for you in four to seven hours. But you’ve got to be set up — speed is everything.
Also this...
China took a whole bunch of steps when they realized they had to repurpose big chunks of their hospital systems to [respond to the outbreak]. The first thing is, they said testing is free, treatment is free. Right now, there are huge barriers [to testing and treatment] in the West. You can get tested, but then you might be negative and have to foot the bill. In China, they realized those were barriers to people seeking care, so, as a state, they took over the payments for people whose insurance plans didn’t cover them. They tried to mitigate those barriers.

Seattle and Portland are pretty much shut down - well, lots working from home.  I guess rush hour in Portland last night was surreal (no rush).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:48:44 AM by rocky_warrior »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #380 on: March 03, 2020, 09:15:11 AM »
Transcript of Saturday CDC call:
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0229-COVID-19-update.html

And this was a pretty good read:
https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china

Something the US has failed at so farAlso this...
Seattle and Portland are pretty much shut down - well, lots working from home.  I guess rush hour in Portland last night was surreal (no rush).

Well we are still in the denial phase.  Let's wait until someone famous gets it and croaks.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #381 on: March 03, 2020, 09:25:23 AM »
Well we are still in the denial phase.  Let's wait until someone famous gets it and croaks.

As mentioned over in the Al board, testing in the US is not where it needs to be yet.  There are way more than 105 people infected - I'm certain.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's closer to 10k - just no tests to confirm yet.  I mean, there's 6 deaths - do we now think it's a 6% death rate?  Nope...

This is also a reason "confirmed" cases in China jumped when they finally got their testing in place.  Same thing will happen here.  It wasn't a coverup - it was just a lag in testing.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #382 on: March 03, 2020, 10:49:38 AM »
As mentioned over in the Al board, testing in the US is not where it needs to be yet.  There are way more than 105 people infected - I'm certain.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's closer to 10k - just no tests to confirm yet.  I mean, there's 6 deaths - do we now think it's a 6% death rate?  Nope...

This is also a reason "confirmed" cases in China jumped when they finally got their testing in place.  Same thing will happen here.  It wasn't a coverup - it was just a lag in testing.

This I agree with.  Also why the "first case in X state!" rhetoric is so stupid.  There is a high probability its in every state now.  And thats fine.  Honestly the more cases, the lower the death rate and rate of "needed hospital attention" is, which goes well to quell hysteria.  Though I don't really trust any of the clickbait to embrace that.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #383 on: March 03, 2020, 10:54:13 AM »
This I agree with.  Also why the "first case in X state!" rhetoric is so stupid.  There is a high probability its in every state now.  And thats fine.  Honestly the more cases, the lower the death rate and rate of "needed hospital attention" is, which goes well to quell hysteria.  Though I don't really trust any of the clickbait to embrace that.

Also the quicker herd immunity builds up.

I hate to say it, but we are past the point of preventing this. It is going to hit every corner of the country. But there's no reason to panic. There will be deaths, probably several thousand, just like there are with the flu every year, especially among vulnerable groups. It doesn't mean we should ignore it either. A firm, rapid response is important. We need to get this under control, and then when the weather gets warm for the summer we'll have a few months to firm up anti-virals and vaccines for the next season. COVID-19 will be part of our flu season going forward. We will have to adapt. It is not some big apocalyptic thing though.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #384 on: March 03, 2020, 11:07:56 AM »

one of the reasons i heard it seems more prevalent and the most problematic(at the moment) in state of washington is that it is a big hub for asian travel as well as california
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #385 on: March 03, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »
My daughter lives in Portland and told me over the weekend people were waiting for grocery stores to open up. She was at Trader Joe's late afternoon and said shelves were getting empty. Full disclosure, my 26 year MU grad had to ask me if any of any reason why the shelves were bare, so obviously the fear has not struck her as of yet.

jesmu84

• All American

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #387 on: March 03, 2020, 12:07:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/into_the_brush/status/1234685467682979840?s=19

Some of the responses to that tell me why we have such a problem with our attitudes toward health care in this country.  The lack of understanding about public health in general is pretty alarming.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #388 on: March 03, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »

Some of the responses to that tell me why we have such a problem with our attitudes toward health care in this country.  The lack of understanding about public health in general is pretty alarming.

Not to be a jackass but why didn't this lady just call her primary care doctor or go to her local hospital for care? Why mess with a Corona hotline and all of that jazz? If you are sick, contact a doctor. Regardless of whether they can "test" you, you need treatment for symptoms. This twitter post just seems like a scream for attention.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:33:34 PM by Coleman »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #389 on: March 03, 2020, 02:15:29 PM »
Not to be a jackass but why didn't this lady just call her primary care doctor or go to her local hospital for care? Why mess with a Corona hotline and all of that jazz? If you are sick, contact a doctor. Regardless of whether they can "test" you, you need treatment for symptoms. This twitter post just seems like a scream for attention.

I had the perfect answer to your question, but it seems you've already answered it.   8-)

On a different note... CNBC just showed a picture of a Costco in Seattle with empty shelves in the paper goods aisle (toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, etc.).  I'm not surprised by the fact that people are stocking up, but I am surprised that Costco can't even keep the stores in its own backyard stocked.  Yet in the Chicago-area (where the 2nd US case was discovered 6 weeks ago, no less), there's no run on the stores anywhere... anecdotally, it's mostly shopping as usual. 

While this speaks to calm, it also seems to speak to widespread apathy and/or procrastination; I wasn't expecting depleted stocks, but I also wasn't expecting full shelves and short lines at Costco this past Sunday.  My concern here is that too little is being done... an individual's normal reaction to a situation becomes amplified as more people also experience the same situation; in other words, the more people remain unprepared - whether it's because they're being "calm," "responsible," "measured," or whatever - the more likely there's going to be a collective over-reaction at some point.

---[ASIDE]---

A new theory I overheard at lunch today: Most "doomsday preppers" (at least those in the public view) are radical right-wingers, and so there's a political ideology being attached to the decision one makes on whether or not to prepare for a potential crisis, even in the face of said crisis (as opposed to simply an unknown event), and the further left you go, the more resistant to prepare.  So the theory goes that Bernie's supporters are less likely to make preparations and/or take the necessary precautions in the event Covid goes mainstream in the US. 

Honestly, this is the dumbest thing I've heard in response to Covid-19 yet (yes, even more than the "go buy Bitcoin" rallying call)... and that applies whether it's true or false.  Whatever the case, people... PLEASE DON'T BE STUPID; political ideology should have ZERO effect on whether you're capable of making a rational decision that is beneficial to yourself and society... the last thing this country needs is a lot of Bernie Bros refusing to do anything because Trump said whatever,  because the more people delay, the more irrational the response (see above), not to mention, dead Bros don't vote.  DON'T BE STUPID.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #390 on: March 03, 2020, 02:24:43 PM »
I had the perfect answer to your question, but it seems you've already answered it.   8-)

On a different note... CNBC just showed a picture of a Costco in Seattle with empty shelves in the paper goods aisle (toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, etc.).  I'm not surprised by the fact that people are stocking up, but I am surprised that Costco can't even keep the stores in its own backyard stocked.  Yet in the Chicago-area (where the 2nd US case was discovered 6 weeks ago, no less), there's no run on the stores anywhere... anecdotally, it's mostly shopping as usual. 

While this speaks to calm, it also seems to speak to widespread apathy and/or procrastination; I wasn't expecting depleted stocks, but I also wasn't expecting full shelves and short lines at Costco this past Sunday.  My concern here is that too little is being done... an individual's normal reaction to a situation becomes amplified as more people also experience the same situation; in other words, the more people remain unprepared - whether it's because they're being "calm," "responsible," "measured," or whatever - the more likely there's going to be a collective over-reaction at some point.

---[ASIDE]---

A new theory I overheard at lunch today: Most "doomsday preppers" (at least those in the public view) are radical right-wingers, and so there's a political ideology being attached to the decision one makes on whether or not to prepare for a potential crisis, even in the face of said crisis (as opposed to simply an unknown event), and the further left you go, the more resistant to prepare.  So the theory goes that Bernie's supporters are less likely to make preparations and/or take the necessary precautions in the event Covid goes mainstream in the US. 

Honestly, this is the dumbest thing I've heard in response to Covid-19 yet (yes, even more than the "go buy Bitcoin" rallying call)... and that applies whether it's true or false.  Whatever the case, people... PLEASE DON'T BE STUPID; political ideology should have ZERO effect on whether you're capable of making a rational decision that is beneficial to yourself and society... the last thing this country needs is a lot of Bernie Bros refusing to do anything because Trump said whatever,  because the more people delay, the more irrational the response (see above), not to mention, dead Bros don't vote.  DON'T BE STUPID.

I'm trying to toe a middle line here. I'm not doing any major prepping, but I'm making sure the advil is stocked, we have pasta and soup, toilet paper, etc. loaded up on baby formula and diapers.

it is all stuff we're eventually going to use anyway. but it doesn't hurt to make sure we have enough to get us through a week or two if needed.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #391 on: March 03, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »
I'm trying to toe a middle line here. I'm not doing any major prepping, but I'm making sure the advil is stocked, we have pasta and soup, toilet paper, etc. loaded up on baby formula and diapers.

it is all stuff we're eventually going to use anyway. but it doesn't hurt to make sure we have enough to get us through a week or two if needed.

This seems completely appropriate.  Everyone should - to the extent they have the means/capacity - have enough to get them through one week of "house arrest" (w/o Amazon deliveries).  Nobody needs to be digging a bunker in their backyard, but there's absolutely no harm in stocking up on things you're going to use even if a vaccine were introduced tomorrow.

[IMHO - Every parent should have a month's worth of diapers and wipes, minimum.  Not for covid, but because when the inevitable tummy bug hits, that month's supply is going to turn into a week's supply within a matter of hours.]
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #392 on: March 03, 2020, 02:37:16 PM »

Same... mostly because I was too late to load up on condoms.

More seriously, there's nothing wrong with having extra toilet paper and other goods That'll get used eventually. When you see people walking out with lifetime supplies of dried rice and beans I can't help but laugh a bit.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #393 on: March 03, 2020, 02:42:12 PM »

I mean, that's all I'm doing as well, and that is all anyone really should be doing.

Well, we're up to 9 just a few hours later  :o

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #394 on: March 03, 2020, 02:44:16 PM »
Here is the twitter account I follow for updates.  Very accurate info, and when there is a mistake they correct it.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #395 on: March 03, 2020, 03:47:04 PM »

I think the last sentence speaks for itself - as that is how I see 99% of stuff on Twitter. You are right - she needs to get off of Twitter and go see a doctor.

But...,

I don't believe I have ever subscribed to a conspiracy theory in my entire life even once, but I may almost be coming close now. The lack of testing in this country is criminal. S. Korea is testing 15,000 people a day. England has set up over 100 testing sites. Yet, we do nothing. And since we were told that we would be down to ZERO cases by now, there is a real reason why our gov't isn't on board with wide scale testing.

Here's the problem though. When we are told that there are fewer than 100 cases and yet 9 people have already died - now a near 10% fatality rate IS ABSOLUTELY a reason to cause panic to the uninformed. Most reasonable people knows that there are 1,000s of cases that just haven't been confirmed with testing and that the fatality rate is in reality in the 1%-2% range or even lower. So by trying to keep total case numbers low, our gov't is feeding into the panic that can ensue when people see that according to gov't stats that we are suffering from a high fatality rate. The bureaucracy has been smashed to bits and it hurts us all in a time of crisis like this.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #396 on: March 03, 2020, 03:58:12 PM »
I think the last sentence speaks for itself - as that is how I see 99% of stuff on Twitter. You are right - she needs to get off of Twitter and go see a doctor.

But...,

I don't believe I have ever subscribed to a conspiracy theory in my entire life even once, but I may almost be coming close now. The lack of testing in this country is criminal. S. Korea is testing 15,000 people a day. England has set up over 100 testing sites. Yet, we do nothing. And since we were told that we would be down to ZERO cases by now, there is a real reason why our gov't isn't on board with wide scale testing.

Here's the problem though. When we are told that there are fewer than 100 cases and yet 9 people have already died - now a near 10% fatality rate IS ABSOLUTELY a reason to cause panic to the uninformed. Most reasonable people knows that there are 1,000s of cases that just haven't been confirmed with testing and that the fatality rate is in reality in the 1%-2% range or even lower. So by trying to keep total case numbers low, our gov't is feeding into the panic that can ensue when people see that according to gov't stats that we are suffering from a high fatality rate. The bureaucracy has been smashed to bits and it hurts us all in a time of crisis like this.

Yeah I'm certainly not defending the Trump administration or its response. I think the lack of testing is mostly due to incompetence and an over concern with political appearances (par for the course), rather than some kind of orchestrated cover-up.

Trump is not a thoughtful or in the weeds guy. He wants to yell at Pharma CEOs and make them fix it. He wants to go on TV and tell everyone everything is going to be good, and hope it will. The thing his, for most of his first term, he has gotten lucky. Stuff has worked out. The economy has been on autopilot. We wave our dick at North Korea, and they back down. We kill an Iranian general, and they fumble the response and shoot down a commercial airliner. This is the first time he has actually had to respond to a complex situation.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:03:24 PM by Coleman »

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #397 on: March 03, 2020, 04:08:09 PM »
Five biotech stocks that are showing relative strength
(1) Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (VRTX)
(2) Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (REGN)
(3) Seattle Genetics, Inc. (SGEN)
(4) AbbVie, Inc. (ABBV)
(5) Charles River Laboraties (CRL)
“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #398 on: March 03, 2020, 04:42:14 PM »
My daughter lives in Portland and told me over the weekend people were waiting for grocery stores to open up. She was at Trader Joe's late afternoon and said shelves were getting empty. Full disclosure, my 26 year MU grad had to ask me if any of any reason why the shelves were bare, so obviously the fear has not struck her as of yet.

Good to know that Aldi Joe's is there for all of the prepping hippies.   8-)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #399 on: March 03, 2020, 04:56:38 PM »
Anyone else's company put total kabosh on travel? We got word this morning at my company (Fortune 500, 35,000 employees) that all domestic travel is immediately suspended.