[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1084891 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #300 on: February 27, 2020, 01:42:42 PM »
And provided the virus doesn't mutate, which is a greater than 0% possibility.

Right, but Dish was talking about the "same strain."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #301 on: February 27, 2020, 02:04:38 PM »
Exactly.  I thought about buying some extra N95's yesterday just to have on hand..

I did this yesterday.  Amazon is basically out, so I turned to eBay.  Brought up a couple of "buy it now" pages.  After 5-10 minutes, I refreshed the pages and poof, one was gone .. the other went from $60 to $100 for a pack of 10 N95 masks.

I did another search and found a pack of 15 for $65 and bought it instantly.  I'll probably sell it for $6500 if it arrives in the mail. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #302 on: February 27, 2020, 02:10:14 PM »
I'm going to ask an incredibly dumb question...

So once you get it, and it passes through your system, are you then fine from getting the same strain again? I mean I know I can get the flu multiple times in the year, I guess what I'm asking is to your point, if I get it, get done with it, am I then fine to be around other people that have it?

Feel free to call me dumb for asking this.

many unknowns yet...concerns that the virus could infect you, you recover, but the virus then remains dormant only to reoccur if you had say minimal to limited infection, your body doesn't develop as strong an antibody(s) toward, then you can become reinfected with the same virus from within your body

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/484942-japan-confirms-first-case-of-person-reinfected
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #303 on: February 27, 2020, 02:12:41 PM »
Yes.  You should be innoculated for the rest of your life providing you get it strong enough to develop the antibodies or your immune system isn't compromised.

Let me start with: I'm not certain, please correct if I'm wrong

Just like the flu vaccine is only good for a short period (one "season"), you can also get the same flu strain every year - but not usually twice in a single year.

I don't think there's any "rest of your life" innoculations for any Coronavirus (which includes the common cold).  Otherwise we'd get a shot for that!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #304 on: February 27, 2020, 02:15:47 PM »
Thanks rocket, I've heard murmurs of reinfections too (in Chinese medical staff), but don't want to spread that around much until we understand more.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #305 on: February 27, 2020, 02:19:13 PM »
Thanks rocket, I've heard murmurs of reinfections too (in Chinese medical staff), but don't want to spread that around much until we understand more.

One of the hallmarks of the 1918 flu was that some people who "recovered" from the influenza would relapse and die of ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) caused by a massive secondary infection of pneumonia. The idea that we've got to explain that is that the viral respiratory did enough damage to the lungs that people were at a hugely increased risk of secondary infection. I'm not sure whether there's enough time and trustworthy data about whether a similar secondary infection risk exists, but if it does that might explain "reinfections" and also be very concerning.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #306 on: February 27, 2020, 02:43:03 PM »
Good question.

Does it just become a seasonal thing like the flu at that point? If so, do we get some respite by the time May rolls around? Might give more time to prepare for the next round with vaccines, antivirals, etc. like we handle the flu.

Coleman,. Read The Atlantic article.  Many epidemogists are already  of the opinion every fall will become Cold, Flu and Coronavirus season.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #307 on: February 27, 2020, 03:06:52 PM »

Yes.  You should be innoculated for the rest of your life providing you get it strong enough to develop the antibodies or your immune system isn't compromised.

If you get the flu multiple times in a year, you are getting different strains.  (And I really doubt that is happening - you are most likely getting a norovirus that people are incorrectly calling the flu)

And this is what bothers me about when people don't get the flu shot and complain that they get sick anyway.  You aren't likely getting the flu.  The last time I had the flu, I was knocked out for a week.  It's much different than a 24-48 hour bug.

I dont know that I would rely on this as fact.  I read something last night that someone in Japan was re-infected. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #308 on: February 27, 2020, 04:14:06 PM »
I wouldn't rely on anything I post as fact.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #309 on: February 27, 2020, 05:04:32 PM »
I dont know that I would rely on this as fact.  I read something last night that someone in Japan was re-infected. 

Someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express please correct me if wrong, but aren't "dormancy" and "reinfection" different things?  (Fortunately) I'm not an expert with herpes, but when it recurs, I've never heard that called a re-infection.

I wouldn't rely on anything I post as fact.

Except the part about norovirus.... that one is facty, fact, fact, fact.  It's a Superfacta.  (It floors me just how many people don't understand that a "stomach flu" is not influenza.)

Still, the point remains... if infection is inevitable, the possibility of reinfection is irrelevant.  So why postpone until the big wave hits?  Why not get your laps in during low tide?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #310 on: February 27, 2020, 05:09:52 PM »
Someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express please correct me if wrong, but aren't "dormancy" and "reinfection" different things?  (Fortunately) I'm not an expert with herpes, but when it recurs, I've never heard that called a re-infection.

This is the news article version — so Holiday Inn all the way.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/484942-japan-confirms-first-case-of-person-reinfected

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #311 on: February 27, 2020, 05:29:52 PM »
What affect will it have on the MU student section?

Likely ta result in more booin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #312 on: February 27, 2020, 06:03:26 PM »

If you get the flu multiple times in a year, you are getting different strains.  (And I really doubt that is happening - you are most likely getting a norovirus that people are incorrectly calling the flu)

And this is what bothers me about when people don't get the flu shot and complain that they get sick anyway.  You aren't likely getting the flu.  The last time I had the flu, I was knocked out for a week.  It's much different than a 24-48 hour bug.

No. There are already reported incidents of individuals getting infected a second time, only a month later. There will not be long-term immunity here. The common cold is caused by circulating coronavirus's that aren't mutating, we just don't generate long-term immunity against them.

So even if a vaccine is created, you'd likely need it quite regularly, and it would be only moderately effective.

edit: my apologies for restating the same thing others have now chimed in with. Didn't read through the entire thread yet.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #313 on: February 27, 2020, 06:07:40 PM »
Serious question, though .. once COVID19 is widespread .. enough to be, for example, in Milwaukee, would quarantines matter?   

What's the theory of what could happen?    I don't see the food/grocery industry crumbling, besides some specifics being halted.    If it was widespread, I don't see mass quarantines being effective -- the horse has left the barn.

So .. what's the theory?

This is a great question, and one I have pondered. At a certain tipping point, there will be no chance of containment anymore. After that point, containment will be very expensive, and will have no global effect. At that point any resources should be going to treat those afflicted.

Two problems with that. When is that point of no return? And politically speaking, no one is going to be ok with giving in and just focusing on treatment. Even more complicated by the fact that:

1) We do not have the medical resources to treat a large scale epidemic.
2) Even to maintain the status quo, we need equipment, resources, and medications that are largely produced in China, who isn't producing/distributing them right now.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #314 on: February 27, 2020, 06:18:48 PM »
My sister factory in Zhongshan is considering purchasing the machine used to make masks. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #315 on: February 27, 2020, 07:21:19 PM »
This is a great question, and one I have pondered. At a certain tipping point, there will be no chance of containment anymore. After that point, containment will be very expensive, and will have no global effect. At that point any resources should be going to treat those afflicted.

Two problems with that. When is that point of no return? And politically speaking, no one is going to be ok with giving in and just focusing on treatment. Even more complicated by the fact that:

1) We do not have the medical resources to treat a large scale epidemic.
2) Even to maintain the status quo, we need equipment, resources, and medications that are largely produced in China, who isn't producing/distributing them right now.

Basically this.  The cat is out of the bag, and she isn't going back in.  And to use another turn of phrase, the wheels have come off the bus at this point.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #316 on: February 27, 2020, 09:02:42 PM »
No. There are already reported incidents of individuals getting infected a second time, only a month later. There will not be long-term immunity here. The common cold is caused by circulating coronavirus's that aren't mutating, we just don't generate long-term immunity against them.

So even if a vaccine is created, you'd likely need it quite regularly, and it would be only moderately effective.

edit: my apologies for restating the same thing others have now chimed in with. Didn't read through the entire thread yet.

Are those people actually talking infected a second time?  Or did the original infection go dormant. Because I have been reading that while you are correct that lifetime immunity isn’t a thing, that how long immunity lasts with this isn’t known.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #317 on: February 27, 2020, 09:06:49 PM »
My sister factory in Zhongshan is considering purchasing the machine used to make masks.

which masks?  there are not enough of the n95's and if they weren't expensive 6 mos ago, i'm sure you aren't going to find them on sale now.  also, if you aren't infected, the masks aren't going to do anything for you. 

"Sorrell said there's no reason to use a surgical mask if you're healthy and not infected.

"The virus itself is so small that it can penetrate the mask," she said. "So it literally does nothing for you."

"The only reason to wear a surgical mask is if you're already infected with the virus and are quarantined, according to Sorrell. Hence, if you're staying at home from work or from school, and you're trying not to infect your family members, you should wear a mask.

Stanley Perlman, a professor of microbiology and immunology at Carver College of Medicine at University of Iowa and a longtime coronavirus researcher, said surgical masks aren't as good as keeping the virus out because they have larger pores."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/clarissajanlim/coronavirus-questions-masks-hand-sanitizers

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #318 on: February 27, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
Are those people actually talking infected a second time?  Or did the original infection go dormant. Because I have been reading that while you are correct that lifetime immunity isn’t a thing, that how long immunity lasts with this isn’t known.

No possible way to know 100% either way. Honestly, I hope it is a reinfection. It being able to go dormant for a month would make it impossible to contain.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #321 on: February 28, 2020, 04:59:49 AM »
which masks?  there are not enough of the n95's and if they weren't expensive 6 mos ago, i'm sure you aren't going to find them on sale now.  also, if you aren't infected, the masks aren't going to do anything for you. 

"Sorrell said there's no reason to use a surgical mask if you're healthy and not infected.

"The virus itself is so small that it can penetrate the mask," she said. "So it literally does nothing for you."

"The only reason to wear a surgical mask is if you're already infected with the virus and are quarantined, according to Sorrell. Hence, if you're staying at home from work or from school, and you're trying not to infect your family members, you should wear a mask.

Stanley Perlman, a professor of microbiology and immunology at Carver College of Medicine at University of Iowa and a longtime coronavirus researcher, said surgical masks aren't as good as keeping the virus out because they have larger pores."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/clarissajanlim/coronavirus-questions-masks-hand-sanitizers

From what I've read, the virus isn't airborne.  It does however reside on droplets and aerosol particles... which the N95 should easily block.  But I agree with your first sentence, and would add that buying up the machine that manufactures masks would probably be the definition of buying high.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #322 on: February 28, 2020, 10:27:29 AM »
I remember exactly how excited Benny was when he imagined himself driving a B-2 to the liquor store for more tequila. 

Although, if I grew a beard, it would probably be more Joe Dirt than Tandy Miller.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:29:08 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #323 on: February 28, 2020, 08:21:35 PM »
As someone once said, “it’s the economy, stupid”.

Phuket MU Fan

• Starter
« Reply #324 on: February 28, 2020, 08:48:21 PM »

feedback