[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1109682 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #10175 on: May 12, 2021, 09:14:11 AM »
Fauci should resign. Of course that power crazed idiot won't because his 15 minutes of fame then goes away. Sit back, write the book, and make millions, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #10176 on: May 12, 2021, 09:18:30 AM »
Fauci should resign. Of course that power crazed idiot won't because his 15 minutes of fame then goes away. Sit back, write the book, and make millions, hey?
Yep, his master plan was to be a civil servant for 50+ years managing infectious diseases and helping our country prepare/deal with them for his 15 minutes of fame and a book deal. Gotta respect his long game.

He's not perfect and clearly in the bizarre landscape that was 2020 he made some mistakes but the conspiracy crap is really something else.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10177 on: May 12, 2021, 09:37:49 AM »

My favorite part about the American zeitgeist is that once someone makes a mistake once they're forever wrong on everything and their credibility is shot.

I guess we live in the society we deserve.

By your logic, Doc, you should probably turn in your dentistry license and write a book.  You've had your share of hot takes over the last year.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #10178 on: May 12, 2021, 09:41:05 AM »
I’m not a fan of the Chicago Teachers Union, ( can’t comment on any others) and they certainly shouldn’t control any decision-making, but their input on the practical side of things could be useful, as the teachers themselves know what actually happens as opposed to what the powers that be think is happening. When they renovated my church years ago we wished they would have consulted with the hospitality volunteers at some point  as we could have pointed out a few things from a practical point of view.

And yes the idea that Fauci wants to go out bd make millions is absurd, or that he wants to prolong things so he appears on television more.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10179 on: May 12, 2021, 09:44:04 AM »
I am totally confident that there are fine scientists there doing a fantastic job, every day.  The problem with government entities, in my view, is that at the top of the house are always appointed politicians most interested in furthering an agenda, whatever that happens to be.

We HAD a CDC that was run by the White House. It was ordered to lie by the White House. it had people fired by that White House for not towing the line. Yet that didn’t bother you a bit.

Now we have an expert in charge. The scientists are making the decisions based on their lifetimes of working in the field. And now you are bothered.

Following the science must really piss you guys off.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10180 on: May 12, 2021, 09:53:27 AM »
Yep, his master plan was to be a civil servant for 50+ years managing infectious diseases and helping our country prepare/deal with them for his 15 minutes of fame and a book deal. Gotta respect his long game.

He's not perfect and clearly in the bizarre landscape that was 2020 he made some mistakes but the conspiracy crap is really something else.

Maybe I’m naive, but I feel part of his position is to be overly cautious and focus on the risks. He’s supposed to be providing risks and recommendations on how to stop the spread of the disease. Politicians and individuals then take those risks and weigh them against a multitude of factors.

Isn’t making a hypothesis and then re-evaluating as new information presents itself part of the scientific process? This whole idea of a gotcha because he was wrong on something in April 2020 is silly in my opinion. It was new to everyone.

I feel we have moved to attacking the science and Fauci as a way to rile up political bases and provide commentary. He may enjoy the limelight and that’s skewing his recommendations. I’d like to think not, but I may be naive.

Talking about masks into summer of 2022 and all that might have been a way to stay relevant. But I would guess if we truly were trying to eradicate the virus, that might be what we have to do. However, I think the general consensus is if we get an annual shot and it’s equivalent to the flu, that’s a tremendous win.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #10181 on: May 12, 2021, 10:02:14 AM »
Maybe I’m naive, but I feel part of his position is to be overly cautious and focus on the risks. He’s supposed to be providing risks and recommendations on how to stop the spread of the disease. Politicians and individuals then take those risks and weigh them against a multitude of factors.

Isn’t making a hypothesis and then re-evaluating as new information presents itself part of the scientific process? This whole idea of a gotcha because he was wrong on something in April 2020 is silly in my opinion. It was new to everyone.

I feel we have moved to attacking the science and Fauci as a way to rile up political bases and provide commentary. He may enjoy the limelight and that’s skewing his recommendations. I’d like to think not, but I may be naive.

Talking about masks into summer of 2022 and all that might have been a way to stay relevant. But I would guess if we truly were trying to eradicate the virus, that might be what we have to do. However, I think the general consensus is if we get an annual shot and it’s equivalent to the flu, that’s a tremendous win.
I'm in agreement with everything you say plus Hards point that people are holding him to a standard they couldn't possibly meet themselves. People are saying he's political but if the politicians had listened to him, instead of making his/CDC input political, for the last 18 months there's no argument that we'd be in a MUCH better position health wise and economically wise.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10182 on: May 12, 2021, 10:23:22 AM »

Right. This is how science works.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10183 on: May 12, 2021, 12:50:17 PM »
I'm in agreement with everything you say plus Hards point that people are holding him to a standard they couldn't possibly meet themselves. People are saying he's political but if the politicians had listened to him, instead of making his/CDC input political, for the last 18 months there's no argument that we'd be in a MUCH better position health wise and economically wise.

You can’t be serious?!?!  We did listen to him on not wearing masks in the beginning (oops), we didn’t listen to him on locking down travel from China (thank goodness), we did listen when he recommended lockdowns, he was part of the team that drafted the 15-30 days to slow the spread, social distance, etc etc.

What exactly did we not listen too?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10184 on: May 12, 2021, 12:53:00 PM »

You live in a country that had a worse death rate than many developing nations, and you think the problem was overly strict guidelines offered by the CDC?

Come on.  You think developing countries were testing and identifying cases at the rate we were?

Like Donnie said of you don’t test (bad idea) then you won’t have as many positive cases and therefore as many c19 related death data.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #10185 on: May 12, 2021, 01:03:11 PM »
You can’t be serious?!?!  We did listen to him on not wearing masks in the beginning (oops), we didn’t listen to him on locking down travel from China (thank goodness), we did listen when he recommended lockdowns, he was part of the team that drafted the 15-30 days to slow the spread, social distance, etc etc.

What exactly did we not listen too?

Hello, this is 2021 not April 2020.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10186 on: May 12, 2021, 01:07:00 PM »
You can’t be serious?!?!  We did listen to him on not wearing masks in the beginning (oops),

Dude, what?  After he reversed course on that pretty quickly, we didn't listen to him as much as we should have, and we had the biggest surge the following fall.

Some of you people are hell bent on rewriting history.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10187 on: May 12, 2021, 01:10:17 PM »

Dude, what?  After he reversed course on that pretty quickly, we didn't listen to him as much as we should have, and we had the biggest surge the following fall.

Some of you people are hell bent on rewriting history.

Of course he reversed course but we initially listened and then again listened when he changed his tune. 

I cant think (doesn’t mean there isn’t an example) of one major thing we didn’t listen to him on.  Compliance to what he was saying was our own fault and i believe our own choice to make those mistakes.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10188 on: May 12, 2021, 01:24:28 PM »
I think the issue is there is a balance between infectious disease experts/epidemiology and sensible public policy.  The former has, more or less, goal of completely eliminating disease and its spread and limiting as much risk as possible.  So they are going to speak to that and advise based on that.  Now that is likely not the most reasonable public policy, expecting everyone to mask up or lockdown until its eradicated or minuscule levels.  But if you ask people like Fauci, thats what they will advise on.  My issue isn't so much with him, but constantly shoving a mic in his face daily, and then throwing out bombastic headlines or recommendations as a result.  Same with guys like the UPENN medical expert earlier in 2020 who was recommending lockdowns lasting 6 months or more.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10189 on: May 12, 2021, 01:25:18 PM »
Of course he reversed course but we initially listened and then again listened when he changed his tune

I cant think (doesn’t mean there isn’t an example) of one major thing we didn’t listen to him on.  Compliance to what he was saying was our own fault and i believe our own choice to make those mistakes.

Did we really? Because... uh... <gestures broadly at how masks became a front of the suicidal culture war over the last 9+ months>

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10190 on: May 12, 2021, 01:33:45 PM »
I think the issue is there is a balance between infectious disease experts/epidemiology and sensible public policy.  The former has, more or less, goal of completely eliminating disease and its spread and limiting as much risk as possible.  So they are going to speak to that and advise based on that.  Now that is likely not the most reasonable public policy, expecting everyone to mask up or lockdown until its eradicated or minuscule levels.  But if you ask people like Fauci, thats what they will advise on.  My issue isn't so much with him, but constantly shoving a mic in his face daily, and then throwing out bombastic headlines or recommendations as a result.  Same with guys like the UPENN medical expert earlier in 2020 who was recommending lockdowns lasting 6 months or more.

Good stuff wags

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10191 on: May 12, 2021, 01:35:30 PM »
Did we really? Because... uh... <gestures broadly at how masks became a front of the suicidal culture war over the last 9+ months>

We listened and tried to drive compliance the best we could.  Every business, park, public space I can think of had mask required signs on the doors.  CDC and federal guidelines called for mask it.  When there was a shortage early on the administration during a press conference suggested the use of a scarf  or other material covering on the face.

I acknowledge 20-30% of America didn’t listen but knew they weren’t following guidelines when they decided to not wear a mask.  Not sure what you can do about that but to the point of listening to Fauci, we for the most part did.

• All American
« Reply #10192 on: May 12, 2021, 01:36:04 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10193 on: May 12, 2021, 01:54:18 PM »
We listened and tried to drive compliance the best we could.  Every business, park, public space I can think of had mask required signs on the doors.  CDC and federal guidelines called for mask it.  When there was a shortage early on the administration during a press conference suggested the use of a scarf  or other material covering on the face.

I acknowledge 20-30% of America didn’t listen but knew they weren’t following guidelines when they decided to not wear a mask.  Not sure what you can do about that but to the point of listening to Fauci, we for the most part did.

Maybe you did, but there was and remains an active group of people who have been attacking him from the jump. That group spoke directly to the 20-30% of America that "didn't listen" (a number that seems low). There is a pretty obvious throughline about how that group developed, and it has nothing to do with people listening to him.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10194 on: May 12, 2021, 03:07:53 PM »
My favorite part about the American zeitgeist is that once someone makes a mistake once they're forever wrong on everything and their credibility is shot.

I guess we live in the society we deserve.

• All American
« Reply #10195 on: May 13, 2021, 01:09:14 PM »
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1392903574879932416?s=20

The Washington Post
@washingtonpost
·
3m
CDC says fully vaccinated Americans no longer need masks indoors or outdoors in most cases, paving way for society’s full reopening

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10196 on: May 13, 2021, 01:38:02 PM »

The Washington Post
@washingtonpost
·
3m
CDC says fully vaccinated Americans no longer need masks indoors or outdoors in most cases, paving way for society’s full reopening

And full chaos when non vaccinated people can claim to be vaccinated. It's gonna be an exciting time
Maigh Eo for Sam

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #10197 on: May 13, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »

The Washington Post
@washingtonpost
·
3m

Time to bust out the razor!!!!! 

This is something long overdue and worth celebrating.  Stadiums will be full be end of June and Fiserv will be rocking shoulder to shoulder next year.

I applaud the CDC for making this announcement and following the science.  Not sure why today but I’m not complaining cause we’ve finally made it, congrats scoop!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10198 on: May 13, 2021, 02:52:33 PM »
This is the time when I can see the value of vaccine cards/passports.   I flash a card when I go into Costco   Now I could flash a second and go in mask free.   

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 03:05:03 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10199 on: May 13, 2021, 03:03:27 PM »
Anyone heard from Goo lately?I noticed he has been MIA for a while.

feedback