[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Verdict Is In  (Read 36677 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: The Verdict Is In
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2020, 03:54:51 PM »
wades

He is a .500 coach in the BE, that is a fact. Sub .500 if you count his first season.

I'm confused by your math.

4-14
8-10
10-8
9-9
12-6
4-4

So you originally said if you take away the first season he's a .500 coach but something isn't adding up right. It is definitely a fact that he's .500 this year, or without last year and his first year. Also that he's sub .500 overall.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:59:26 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2020, 03:57:56 PM »
if he gets a mulligan on the first year he's 43-37 in conference since

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2020, 04:20:31 PM »
You mean the Dayton Flyers who are currently ranked #7 in all the land?

I have never understood the dislike for Dayton. Personally, I wish my beloved Warriors were ranked in the Top 10 of all college basketball. Hell, I wish we were ranked.

Troll

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2020, 04:21:49 PM »
I am hopeful that he can start delivering post season success which, at the end of the day, is the ultimate performance measurement.

I believe the correct term for the bolded section is, "welded to the bench."

If Wojo had won the first round in each of his appearances, you'd be happy with him being the coach?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2020, 04:26:31 PM »
It's been six years.  How long should it reasonably take?  How many coaches improve considerably after six years at a P6 type school?

I would say it's more relevant to ask how many coaches get their first HC job at a P6? And, of those, where are they after 6 years of HC experience?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2020, 04:29:14 PM »
BM1090

Your post made me sad. We have become a poor man's Creighton.

How do similar results in conference and tourney make us a "poor man's Creighton"?

Also, hope you don't think McDermott is a good coach. His results demonstrate otherwise by your evaluation.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2020, 04:38:45 PM »
I would say it's more relevant to ask how many coaches get their first HC job at a P6? And, of those, where are they after 6 years of HC experience?

This doesn’t matter.  If you take the Marquette job, you need to be ready to hit the ground running, regardless of prior experience.  It was Wojo’s choice to stay at Duke until the right offer came along.  He shouldn’t be cut any slack because he made the choice to stay an assistant until a P6 school came calling.

To your point about him winning one tournament game each of the times he made it, who knows how the “Nojos” would feel if that happened?  It would’ve been a start, that’s for sure.  But again, it doesn’t matter.  What we actually got were two ass kickings and now a student body that thinks he’s a cuck.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2020, 04:52:47 PM »
The ones who get top ten recruiting classes.

Last year, this year, and next year, should give people some idea of the kind of players Wojo is graduating to.

He has been gradually compiling rosters that are longer and more athletic.

Next years class checks all the boxes.

If Marquette lands Mane they will have five physical guards that all are about 6' 4''.  That is a sharp departure from years past.

With the limitations of his previous rosters Wojo still managed to have some success. Those limitations will be gone next year and it will be interesting to see the new look team in action
Mods -
How much longer do we have to pretend this isn’t Chicos? It’s gotten absolutely bizarre. It’s Hoopaloop on steroids

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2020, 04:53:06 PM »

That is a significant point that many people overlook.

The situation Wojo stepped into as a first time head coach was somewhat unique.

A realigned conference, a program in turmoil, and an uncertain recruiting class were all extenuating circumstances surrounding his hiring. Maybe that's the reason I'm not surprised by the recent lack of tournament success. I expected there would be a delay in development due to the less than ideal conditions he walked into.

Enough time has passed that his adjustment period should be over and the program should expect better returns on its investment. Last years returns were mixed. This year may yet yield a decent return, and next year looks to be promising.

The program is right about where I expected it to be at this point in Wojos tenure.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2020, 04:58:35 PM »
Mods -
How much longer do we have to pretend this isn’t Chicos? It’s gotten absolutely bizarre. It’s Hoopaloop on steroids

Well considering I live in Wisconsin where it's currently 25 degrees with completely overcast skies as it approaches dusk, and Cheeks live in California where I'm sure it's much nicer and hours behind us, there's no reason for you to do anything other than accept that you're wrong.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2020, 05:00:46 PM »
Well considering I live in Wisconsin where it's currently 25 degrees with completely overcast skies as it approaches dusk, and Cheeks live in California where I'm sure it's much nicer and hours behind us, there's no reason for you to do anything other than accept that you're wrong.

“Who wants to place a bet?  I’ll take a picture outside my window in California and WhoaJoe can take one outside his in Wisconsin and we’ll post them at the same time.  Really make a lot of people on here look foolish.”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2020, 05:01:42 PM »
Mods -
the ignore button exists for a reason.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2020, 05:10:55 PM »
“Who wants to place a bet?  I’ll take a picture outside my window in California and WhoaJoe can take one outside his in Wisconsin and we’ll post them at the same time.  Really make a lot of people on here look foolish.”

I would be happy to do that if you told me how. That should really be people's first clue that I'm not Cheeks. I never post pictures or videos. Also, the way we format our responses is also quite dissimilar. For such smart people the differences should be obvious.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2020, 05:28:32 PM »
That is a significant point that many people overlook.

The situation Wojo stepped into as a first time head coach was somewhat unique.

A realigned conference, a program in turmoil, and an uncertain recruiting class were all extenuating circumstances surrounding his hiring. Maybe that's the reason I'm not surprised by the recent lack of tournament success. I expected there would be a delay in development due to the less than ideal conditions he walked into.

Enough time has passed that his adjustment period should be over and the program should expect better returns on its investment. Last years returns were mixed. This year may yet yield a decent return, and next year looks to be promising.

The program is right about where I expected it to be at this point in Wojos tenure.
[/color]

Fixed.

May want to re-read this article:

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/one-and-one/2014/04/01/steve-wojciechowski-duke-coach-k-marquette-head-coach

"Wojciechowski will have to avoid talent attrition; otherwise, the son of a longshoreman, who still keeps his father's hard hat in his house, has zero building or rebuilding to do."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2020, 05:40:02 PM »
Galway

You are correct. Six over if take out first year. I will begrudgingly give him a mulligan for first year. Thanks for correcting my math.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2020, 05:45:03 PM »
Galway

You are correct. Six over if take out first year. I will begrudgingly give him a mulligan for first year. Thanks for correcting my math.

Happy to help. Hopefully we go >11-7 and it'll be one less thing to have to keep track about with or without his first year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2020, 05:51:02 PM »
[/color]

Fixed.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/one-and-one/2014/04/01/steve-wojciechowski-duke-coach-k-marquette-head-coach

"Wojciechowski will have to avoid talent attrition; otherwise, the son of a longshoreman, who still keeps his father's hard hat in his house, has zero building or rebuilding to do."

If only that article matched reality. The writer simply got it wrong.

While you seem to get all your thoughts and opinions from other people, I prefer to think for myself. Being a Wisconsin resident who has closely followed Marquette for over 40 years I trust my analysis far more than some puff piece sports columnist from who knows where.

You keep believing everything you read in the papers and on the Internet. It makes it easier to discredit your arguments and opinions.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2020, 06:00:04 PM »
Galway

I would take Mane and another stud transfer and call it a good day.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2020, 06:16:36 PM »
[/color]

Fixed.

How many different threads are you going to post an article about players who did nothing at the high major level?  We get it.  We know where you stand.  Had Wojo given max minutes to John Dawson he'd be looked at as the GOAT, someone who had the court vision and passing ability only ever rivaled by Magic Johnson.  If Wojo had given max minutes to Deonte Burton maybe it would've healed his mother's ailment and she'd still be alive to enjoy watching him play basketball to this day.  Had he given max minutes to Duane Wilson maybe Duane wouldn't have had bone spurs or whatever other ailments he had and he would've been the second coming of Dwyane Wade.  If he invested max minutes in Sandy Cohen we would've bene watching the second coming of Kevin Durant.  If only he had throw Steve Taylor in for 40 minutes a game we would've had our very own version of Giannis.  All of this on one roster!  We would've went 3 straight years without winning a game by likes than 46 points!  How could Wojo have possibly screwed that roster up?!  He couldn't possibly fail!  Just roll the ball out there and the talent will do the work for you!

Just ask the great Buzz Williams how all that talent worked out for him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2020, 06:30:24 PM »

Manesworld, anyone that would submit a puff piece article as evidence when arguing the circumstances surrounding Wojos hiring and subsequent events has already humiliated themselves beyond anything else you or I could say.

Using a tactic like that is the sign of a lazy mind. When people start doing that it usually means they know they have already lost the argument.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2020, 06:50:43 PM »
You mean the Dayton Flyers who are currently ranked #7 in all the land?

I have never understood the dislike for Dayton. Personally, I wish my beloved Warriors were ranked in the Top 10 of all college basketball. Hell, I wish we were ranked.

This being the outlier, of course. 

Last year they were 62....would we wish we were Dayton then?

The year before that they were 172.

I’ll take us over Dayton every day of the week.  It’s easy to pick an outlier year, but it is just that...an outlier.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2020, 06:52:04 PM »
So we've been a bottom 5 BEast team without an NCAA win. Need to get one tourney this year minimum, and need to finish top 4. Then need to reset with the new class next year and take another step up (top 3 + at least 1 NCAA win most years).

First year rebuild with a crap team he took over, new system, etc....just lame to even include it other than agenda posting.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2020, 06:52:48 PM »
It's been six years.  How long should it reasonably take?  How many coaches improve considerably after six years at a P6 type school?

You really want that answer?  I don’t think you do

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2020, 06:53:53 PM »
BM1090

Your post made me sad. We have become a poor man's Creighton.

Backed up by what data points?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2020, 06:54:38 PM »
Mods -

$5000 bet....let’s go right now.   Say it, will prove you wrong but you have got to pay.

feedback