[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo...what the hell  (Read 22753 times)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: Wojo...what the hell
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2020, 03:01:31 PM »
No one asked because we lost. But in the context of an abysmal multi-faceted meltdown a head scratching foul is just a cog in a much bigger gear.
Well said sir...

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2020, 04:17:21 PM »
So Wojo said the last time he looked MU was down by two.You mean he didn't look at scoreboard the whole second half?MU was not behind the whole second half until he decided to foul and give Butler the lead.His defense philosophy is a another topic.Change defenses or double Baldwin and get the ball out of his hands.Make someone else beat you.Elementary.

Yup.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2020, 04:19:32 PM »
This. Crean would have thrown up some pr crap to confuse his bad decisions and Buzz would have gone into full hunker down mode. Both also made plenty of in-game errors.

That said, especially for an emotional game coach like Wojo who is dug in on his systems, this is on his staff for not setting this up in the huddle right before on situationals. It’s an opportunity improvement area, and honestly owning up to those mistakes is critical for change.

Six years in and THIS is an area for improvement?

It's worse than I thought...

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2020, 04:44:43 PM »

LOL

Mick Cronin just got called for a technical for having 6 men on the court.

It wasn't just a guy standing on the court. 6 guys were out on the floor playing at the same time.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2020, 06:03:16 PM »
LOL

Mick Cronin just got called for a technical for having 6 men on the court.

It wasn't just a guy standing on the court. 6 guys were out on the floor playing at the same time.

Lol

No wonder why Fluffy Sultan wants him....he gets to play with one extra guy on the court.  Doesn’t he know the rules?  The hypocrisy is epic here.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2020, 07:25:17 PM »
I haven't seen this brought up much since the end of the game. What exactly are the roles of the half-dozen assistant coaches during the game? I certainly don't give those guys a free pass here. Plenty of blame to go around.
I don't know what was said in the last time out, but when coach Judson went storming out on the floor, he reminded me of years ago by when we both coached/taught togetherat GBS.  He was not happy.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MU82

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2020, 09:40:57 PM »
Firing not enough for Wojo.

Flog him on the public square. Then shoot him. Then flog him again. Then shoot him 3 more times.

Because if there's one thing Kobe's helicopter crash taught us, it's that nothing is more important than a Marquette basketball game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2020, 09:51:22 PM »
Disagree.

When I played and when my kids played, I had respect for coaches who admitted mistakes. And as a coach myself now, I have had two occasions on which I admitted to mistakes. I genuinely think it gave me credibility -- we're human, and we all make mistakes -- brought the team together and made us better. After one of those admissions, we went on to win the league title; after the other, we got to the title game.

Having said all that ...

It was a bad mistake by Wojo.

Even worse was letting Baldwin get to the same spot on the floor time and time again. It was disappointing to lose a game we had

Agreed. And as a competitive person, I hope it lights a fire in him to study end game scenarios so that the next time a collapse is underway he has a counter and a counter to the counter. This type of thing should eat him alive for a while and hopefully he'll come out the other side better for it.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2020, 10:03:39 PM »
Firing not enough for Wojo.

Flog him on the public square. Then shoot him. Then flog him again. Then shoot him 3 more times.

Because if there's one thing Kobe's helicopter crash taught us, it's that nothing is more important than a Marquette basketball game.

Some people like to beat dead horses and live horses. It's just who they are.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2020, 10:59:17 PM »
Wojo clearly fooked up but the funny thing is it ultimately had no bearing on the end of the game.  Butler had ball in a tie game they were gonna run the clock out n win or tie.  Sure it took a Koby three, but regulation ended in a tie.  Much ado about nothing really.  MU lost because we couldnt get stops n defensive rebounds and couldnt execute offensively during the last 5 minutes.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2020, 11:08:10 PM »
Wojo clearly fooked up but the funny thing is it ultimately had no bearing on the end of the game.  Butler had ball in a tie game they were gonna run the clock out n win or tie.  Sure it took a Koby three, but regulation ended in a tie.  Much ado about nothing really.  MU lost because we couldnt get stops n defensive rebounds and couldnt execute offensively during the last 5 minutes.

Correct
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2020, 06:59:35 AM »
A lot of Wojo hate here. He's our coach. Deal with it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2020, 08:06:40 AM »
A lot of Wojo hate here. He's our coach. Deal with it.

Nobody expects him to be fired.  But people are clearly frustrated with the lack of progress and post season success.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2020, 08:29:53 AM »

Nobody expects him to be fired.  But people are clearly frustrated with the lack of progress and post season success.
Complaining about lack of post season success in the middle of a season is crazy. That is an argument for the off season.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2020, 08:36:45 AM »
Complaining about lack of post season success in the middle of a season is crazy. That is an argument for the off season.

Five years.  No tournament wins.  That is longer than any post-Dukiet coach has gone without winning a game in the tournament.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2020, 08:51:29 AM »
Five years.  No tournament wins.  That is longer than any post-Dukiet coach has gone without winning a game in the tournament.

Serious question, Sultan:

If we had beaten South Carolina in the '17 NCAA tourney and then lost by 40 to Duke, and had everything since then happened exactly the way it went down -- no NCAAs the next year, late collapse last year, embarrassing loss to Murray State, Hausershima, 14-6/4-4 this season so far -- Scoop would be overwhelmingly filled with, "Hey, Wojo's actually a darn good coach"?

Do you think that a single one of the Nojos would be even one iota happier with Wojo had he delivered an NCAA tournament win?

I mean, for at least a couple years, the knock against him was that he couldn't win 3 BEast games in a row. Then, last season, he had BEast winning streaks of 8 and 4 games ... so the Nojos lay in wait to find something else to complain about.

I am NOT saying there hasn't been reason to complain; nor am I advocating for the silencing of Nojos. I am generally Projo, but I have criticized Wojo numerous times over the last year, including in this very thread.

But the contention that if he had just won a single tournament game, folks would get off his back ... I sincerely doubt that.

There would still be the same cast of characters starting 3, 5, 10+ threads that just say the same things over and over and over and over again.

Then we win 3 in a row, and those folks disappear ... only to resurface and go ballistic, as if the world is about to end, the next time we lose. It makes Scoop borderline unreadable.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2020, 08:58:47 AM »
I think some people would feel marginally better about Wojo had they beat South Carolina.  And they wouldn't have lost to Duke by 40.