'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo...what the hell  (Read 22773 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Wojo...what the hell
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2020, 08:06:34 AM »
MU is like 4/4 in getting stops with that zone at the end of games with 3 or so turnovers. I definitely would have liked to see that when it was clear they weren’t getting stops.

Totally. Very strange that this wasn't employed with Theo sitting in the paint and Sacar/Bailey/Cain/McEwen on the perimeter for at least a few possessions. All of those guys brought it on D yesterday

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2020, 08:14:06 AM »

How can Wojo not know the score?  They  just had a timeout.  What did they discuss?  Wojo said there was confusion in the huddle - how can that be?  There are scoreboards. 

Marquette deserves better than this.  Wojo needs to be better than this, as does his staff.  The players played their hearts out tonight.  Coaching let them down and that’s inexcusable.

There are a lot of things to like about Wojo but after six years watching games play out like this is beyond disappointing.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2020, 08:23:04 AM »
Steve “JR Smith” Wojciechowski

Every scooper felt like Lebron.

Know the score man.

So disappointing.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2020, 08:27:44 AM »
This exactly. You are conceding that you cant stop your opponent. How about playing some damn defense or devising a way to stop the guy. If you lose because he beats your best effort.  ok.
The point is to win the game.  If he was going to devise a different defense he would have had to have done it already (and I agree he should have), but by then it was too late.  Who gives a crap that fouling meant we were conceding that we couldn't stop them?  We hadn't been stopping for a long stretch whether we conceded it or not and there was no reason to think we would stop them on that possession.

He/we f'd up the endgame a half dozen ways, and that fact that he called for the foul because he did not know the score is just brutal.  When it first happened, I figured that Bailey screwed up, then when I read on the board that Wojo called for it, I thought that it was a good gamble.  When I read that Wojo called for it because he didn't know the score, I thought it was a brutal but happy accident.  It worked by the way.  We got to OT, which was best case scenario if not fouling.  If we ran some semblance of an offense instead of chucking up a contested three with 10 seconds left, we could have won the game right there.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2020, 08:34:09 AM »
The point is to win the game.  If he was going to devise a different defense he would have had to have done it already (and I agree he should have), but by then it was too late.  Who gives a crap that fouling meant we were conceding that we couldn't stop them?  We hadn't been stopping for a long stretch whether we conceded it or not and there was no reason to think we would stop them on that possession.

He/we f'd up the endgame a half dozen ways, and that fact that he called for the foul because he did not know the score is just brutal.  When it first happened, I figured that Bailey screwed up, then when I read on the board that Wojo called for it, I thought that it was a good gamble.  When I read that Wojo called for it because he didn't know the score, I thought it was a brutal but happy accident.  It worked by the way.  We got to OT, which was best case scenario if not fouling.  If we ran some semblance of an offense instead of chucking up a contested three with 10 seconds left, we could have won the game right there.
It's a bad decision. You may think that it was sound strategy as a fan, as a coach you don't make that call. It sends the message to the team that the coach has no confidence in them.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2020, 08:43:45 AM »
Can’t believe it got to the 5th page to refer to this: https://kenpom.com/blog/studying-whether-to-foul-when-tied-part-3/

Given a 30% chance to win, MU should have fouled a 78.7% foul shooter or less. Baldwin was not. Ken tweeted about it during the game.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2020, 08:53:14 AM »
It's a bad decision. You may think that it was sound strategy as a fan, as a coach you don't make that call. It sends the message to the team that the coach has no confidence in them.
So, lose the game to show the team you have confidence in them?  You could spin it to show that you had confidence in the offense to win the game. 

At any rate the point was moot, because what Wojo did by admitting a gaffe after the game was the worst of all things.  He showed the team he didn't know what he was doing.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2020, 08:57:11 AM »
Wojo f'd up.   He owned it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2020, 09:03:57 AM »
Wojo f'd up.   He owned it.
I'm glad he owned it. Maybe,  just maybe, the silver lining is Wojo better prepares himself and is more focused on the games in the future.  He owes that to his players.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2020, 09:08:41 AM »
There's nothing he can say.  He's inept.  And You're comfy with this guy.  Just think if there's a similar situation in a tourney game.......  I mean how many times does it take?

You have been on vacation the last three games until tonight...you are nothing but a troll
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2020, 09:10:22 AM »
So, lose the game to show the team you have confidence in them?  You could spin it to show that you had confidence in the offense to win the game. 

At any rate the point was moot, because what Wojo did by admitting a gaffe after the game was the worst of all things.  He showed the team he didn't know what he was doing.
To your first sentence. Yes. He should be trying to build a long term winning culture. To you last point I agree. If he just fook'd up then that's ever worse. At least he owned it

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2020, 09:14:27 AM »
You have been on vacation the last three games until tonight...you are nothing but a troll

If you read my posts they all call out the weaknesses that need to be corrected. 

Vacay? - More like the Pro Wojers tried to get me banned for no specific reason other than I tell it how it is.

Wojo has lost the team 2x conference games this year already, what is your answer for that?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2020, 09:40:57 AM »
Steve “JR Smith” Wojciechowski

Every scooper felt like Lebron.

Know the score man.

So disappointing.

Thanks for the laugh.

https://tenor.com/YcwD.gif

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2020, 09:46:26 AM »
Can’t believe it got to the 5th page to refer to this: https://kenpom.com/blog/studying-whether-to-foul-when-tied-part-3/

Given a 30% chance to win, MU should have fouled a 78.7% foul shooter or less. Baldwin was not. Ken tweeted about it during the game.

Nice find.  Thanks for sharing.  Can we hire KenPom? (Joke)  But wonder if we have a data/statistics scientist working with the program?  Progressive NFL teams now have one, and they are using the data to decide when to go for 4th downs to increase win probabilities.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 09:49:12 AM by Elonsmusk »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2020, 10:00:21 AM »
It was a bad, bad decision, but still didn't cost us the game. Markus' chucking and turnovers, plus no ability whatsoever to find a way to stop baldwin did

I agree. Markus has provided many great moments for MU fans, but hero ball cost us the game last night. An a senior all-american , he should recognize when he is off and get the ball to the guys with the hot hand. Sacar, BB and even Koby were hot. Markus was a big liability down the stretch last night.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2020, 10:32:56 AM »
Prior to Markus getting clocked at the 15:44 mark, he had 24 points and 6 assists in 24 minutes and was playing a solid game.    The next 12 minutes or so, he didn't force much.   He missed shots, but they were in the flow.    Sacar and Bailey scored a lot in this stretch.    For some reason, with 3 minutes to go, he decided to go hero.  Whether he took it on himself or Wojo told him to, it didn't work.    I have very few complaints about Markus, the team, or coaching decisions, through the first 37 minutes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2020, 10:39:12 AM »
Nice find.  Thanks for sharing.  Can we hire KenPom? (Joke)  But wonder if we have a data/statistics scientist working with the program?  Progressive NFL teams now have one, and they are using the data to decide when to go for 4th downs to increase win probabilities.

While this is true it’s not employed because there’s evidence that it increases your chances of winning, it’s employed to cover one’s ass.

No more relevant statistics to apply than those born from this game itself.  MU scored a bucket on 34.9% of its possessions.  If Andre Drummond was bringing the ball up, you don’t foul.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2020, 10:45:14 AM »
I did not see the game but reading this thread I have to ask:

1) if the defense was getting beat consistently, why no adjustments?, and;
2) is it really believable that in year six, Wojo still gets slack for "still learning" what to do at the end of a game?  Should that really be the case at this point?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2020, 10:48:18 AM »
Prior to Markus getting clocked at the 15:44 mark, he had 24 points and 6 assists in 24 minutes and was playing a solid game.    The next 12 minutes or so, he didn't force much.   He missed shots, but they were in the flow.    Sacar and Bailey scored a lot in this stretch.    For some reason, with 3 minutes to go, he decided to go hero.  Whether he took it on himself or Wojo told him to, it didn't work.    I have very few complaints about Markus, the team, or coaching decisions, through the first 37 minutes.   
So for 12 minutes after he hit his head he played ok. The hit in the head somehow affected him only for the last 3 minutes. Ok

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »

You can only take this so far.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jp7xb3/moreyball-goodharts-law-and-the-limits-of-analytics

tower912

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2020, 11:13:22 AM »
So for 12 minutes after he hit his head he played ok. The hit in the head somehow affected him only for the last 3 minutes. Ok
6-14 prior, 2-13 after.   He didn't force anything until the last 3 minutes.    And then, yeah, he stunk.   

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2020, 02:08:42 PM »
It’s a mistake that can’t be made. Ever. Under any circumstances. Great that he owned it. He’s a man of integrity. He also continues to show he’s a very mediocre coach.

Our best hope at this point is he assembles enough talent that they don’t require great coaching to be successful.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 02:12:43 PM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »
Yep. The rationalizing here on this is nuts. I do give Wojo credit for owning it. Could have made some lame excuse.

Plus the loss came aftert that foul. The unintentional intentional foul ended up helping MU get to OT. The problem was Markus was gassed and playing too much hero ball. Wonder if his injury affected him more than we think.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2020, 02:27:17 PM »
If a player score 20 consecutive points from virtually the same spot why doesn't somebody make an adjustment and keep him off that place? Kept waiting for a zone to mix them up for a few plays.
reminds me of  the Stanford game where Lopez basically camped out below the basket and tossed in shot after shot and we let him park there uncontested. Still rankles when I think about it.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2020, 02:42:18 PM »

Spot on.  No issues with the other 37 minutes on offense even when Howard was off.  Just a very, very poor last 3 minutes.  On defense, that's another story as I thought they should have mixed it up against Baldwin.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.