[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: BE POY Watch  (Read 13834 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
BE POY Watch
« on: January 20, 2020, 12:38:57 PM »
Anybody have any idea who besides Markus and Myles is in it?

What's the advanced stats for them since I don't have a Kenpom subscription? I know last year Powell has a ridiculous usage rate, is Markus' higher now?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: BE POY Watch
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 12:42:16 PM »
After this season, the BE is going to save paper by replacing the BE record book with a pic of Markus.

Powell has been good, but Wojo would have to handcuff Markus for the rest of the season to prevent him from winning POY again.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 12:42:53 PM »
kenpom has Baldwin, Reed, and Yurtseven rounding out the top 5. I'd add Saddiq Bey. I don't think DePaul or Georgetown will have a good enough conference record, and honestly I hope the voters are smart enough to avoid Baldwin, who's a high usage replacement player on offense.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 12:44:23 PM »
kenpom has Baldwin, Reed, and Yurtseven rounding out the top 5. I'd add Saddiq Bey. I don't think DePaul or Georgetown will have a good enough conference record, and honestly I hope the voters are smart enough to avoid Baldwin, who's a high usage replacement player on offense.

Completely agree on the DePaul, Hoyas, and Baldwin comments. I think the risk with Baldwin rises if Butler does very, very well in the conference standings. Dude can't shoot tho.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 01:22:59 PM »
If Seton Hall finishes top 2 in conference and we don't, Powell will be POY. Markus may split it with him (I think they did that a couple of years ago) but if its only one it will be Powell.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 01:26:37 PM »
If Seton Hall finishes top 2 in conference and we don't, Powell will be POY. Markus may split it with him (I think they did that a couple of years ago) but if its only one it will be Powell.

Because he was preseason POY or are there legit stats to back it up?
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 01:30:35 PM »

Markus is 4th in Kenpom's player of the year rankings. Powell is 5th.

Markus has been a bit better but not enough to overcome a gap in the standings.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 02:18:22 PM »

Here are past winners:

2019: Markus Howard (Marquette, 2nd)
2018: Jalen Brunson (Villanova, 2nd)
2017: Josh Hart (Villanova, 1st)
2016: Kris Dunn (Providence, T4th)
2015: Ryan Arciadiacono (Villanova, 1st)/Kris Dunn (Providence, 4th)
2014: Doug McDermott (Creighton, 2nd)
2013: Otto Porter (Georgetown, T1st)
2012: Jae Crowder (Marquette, 2nd)
2011: Ben Hansbrough (Notre Dame, 2nd)
2010: Wesley Johnson (Syracuse, 1st)
2009: Hasheem Thabeet (UConn, T2nd)/Dejuan Blair (Pittsburgh, T2nd)
2008: Luke Harangody (Notre Dame, T2nd)
2007: Jeff Green (Georgetown, 1st)
2006: Randy Foye (Villanova, T1st)
2005: Hakim Warrick (Syracuse, T3rd)

I figure 15 years is enough, but other than Kris Dunn, you have to go back 15 years to find anyone who won the award and wasn't at worst tied for 2nd in the league. What would be interesting is if SHU wins the league but Marquette finishes 2nd or 3rd and is good enough to earn a top-4 seed. We could see Powell win the league award while Howard might have a shot at edging him for NPOY.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 02:39:30 PM »
Here are past winners:

I figure 15 years is enough, but other than Kris Dunn, you have to go back 15 years to find anyone who won the award and wasn't at worst tied for 2nd in the league. What would be interesting is if SHU wins the league but Marquette finishes 2nd or 3rd and is good enough to earn a top-4 seed. We could see Powell win the league award while Howard might have a shot at edging him for NPOY.

This list made me remember how awesome it was to see Jae go to Morgantown and completely outplay Jones to essentially take the award.  So much fun.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 02:46:37 PM »
Here are past winners:

Interesting to note - think every one of these players except Hansborough got drafted.  Markus should be a lock to get drafted.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 03:22:33 PM »

I can understand the thinking, but its just hard right now for me to see Powell getting the nod.  Powell is on a better team, but Howard shoots better in every percentage, including significantly better on nearly the same amount of 3PA, and then they are basically a wash in TRB, AST, and Steals.  Especially as Howard is on pace to run away with the national scoring title.

But it will probably be the most interesting conference POY race, besides maybe Garza vs Winston in the B10

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 04:10:54 PM »
I can understand the thinking, but its just hard right now for me to see Powell getting the nod.  Powell is on a better team, but Howard shoots better in every percentage, including significantly better on nearly the same amount of 3PA, and then they are basically a wash in TRB, AST, and Steals.  Especially as Howard is on pace to run away with the national scoring title.

But it will probably be the most interesting conference POY race, besides maybe Garza vs Winston in the B10
I was watching the Big East Conference show and they guys were basically saying Powell was gonna get it.  Said there was a good case for Howard, but when two guys are close enough, the guy on the winning team is going to get it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 04:14:56 PM »
After this season, the BE is going to save paper by replacing the BE record book with a pic of Markus.

Powell has been good, but Wojo would have to handcuff Markus for the rest of the season to prevent him from winning POY again.

I seldom disagree with you, but I think if numbers stay the same and SH wins the BE, Powell will get it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 04:34:57 PM »
Markus is the Naismith Player of the Week

The Naismith Trophy @NaismithTrophy
Securing a 2-0 record for  @MarquetteMBB last week, @markushoward11 earns the title of @CitizenWatchUS Naismith Men’s Player of the Week. 💪
Howard averaged 38.5 points with 3 assists and 3 rebounds per game. 👀

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 05:15:50 PM »
Here are past winners:

So 4 and 5 years ago, a guy on a team that finished 4th won it...and his numbers weren't as dominant as Markus'. That tells me he has a very good shot as long as we're in the top half.

A little additional perspective: He has won BE Player of the Week 4 times this season, was Naismith POW this week, will likely lead the BE in scoring for the second straight season, and will likely graduate the all-time leading scorer in BE history. Powell is good, but at this rate, Markus is POY.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 06:13:56 PM »
I think it will go to the player on the team that has the best performance.  I obviously want Markus to win it for the benefit of MU, but Powell is extremely talented as well.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 07:58:07 PM »
Two other factors that may be at play. If it's East coast media people voting, that could help Powell. Also, I heard one national media person say they couldn't vote Howard NPOY because he ran off the Hausers.

Anyone who follows me on Twitter knows that my account is basically a Markus Howard stan account at times, but if it's close, I expect it to go to Powell. I felt like that fix was in when he showed up in his Big East Preseason Player of the Year suit at media day.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 08:04:31 PM »
Two other factors that may be at play. If it's East coast media people voting, that could help Powell. Also, I heard one national media person say they couldn't vote Howard NPOY because he ran off the Hausers.

Anyone who follows me on Twitter knows that my account is basically a Markus Howard stan account at times, but if it's close, I expect it to go to Powell. I felt like that fix was in when he showed up in his Big East Preseason Player of the Year suit at media day.
I think the coaches are the ones that vote. They can’t vote for their own player though .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 08:12:08 PM »

Who honestly said that?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 09:45:58 PM »
The same people who voted for Markus over Powell last year will be voting this year. Where was the East Coast bias then?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 09:54:21 PM »
The same people who voted for Markus over Powell last year will be voting this year. Where was the East Coast bias then?

Splitting between Powell and Ponds; maybe even a vote or two for Booth or Paschall?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 10:20:34 PM »

Did you look at last year's standings?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 11:33:51 PM »

if a national media person is stuck on "he ran off the hausers" he shouldn't be a national media person.  the hausers ran off the hausers or more succinctly, jh ran off the h's
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2020, 08:38:09 AM »
Did you look at last year's standings?

Did you look at Cheeks' thread showing that our overall team ratings are better this season than last?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2020, 08:48:08 AM »

Did you look at Cheeks' thread showing that our overall team ratings are better this season than last?

But relative to the Big East teams we are still in 5th place.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Powell plays on the best team in the league for sure.  Old schoolers (see MVP baseball convo here) have said they will vote for guy on better team.  I disagree, but depending on your POV it wil likely have an impact on the votes.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire