[Today at 02:47:50 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by MUbiz
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Point guard or big by Jockey
[Today at 11:37:56 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:25:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BE POY Watch  (Read 13983 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: BE POY Watch
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2020, 09:40:56 AM »
Does anybody actually do that?  That doesn't seem like a thing that I read here.  I've read that Markus shoots too much or dominates the ball and Wojo does nothing about it, but that is not the same as minimizing victories because Markus shoots too much.

I see it all the time.  Not maybe those exact words, but certainly things like "We gotta stop relying on Markus", or "we wouldn't have won if Markus hadn't scored half the points".  That's just dumb, IMO.

It's worse if you read stuff outside of Scoop, even from folks who I am pretty sure consider themselves fans.
Have some patience, FFS.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »
I see it all the time.  Not maybe those exact words, but certainly things like "We gotta stop relying on Markus", or "we wouldn't have won if Markus hadn't scored half the points".  That's just dumb, IMO.

It's worse if you read stuff outside of Scoop, even from folks who I am pretty sure consider themselves fans.

Agreed, see it and hear it a bunch.

Get a big win and its "the win is fine but we need more balance".  " We can't rely on Markus all the time"  blah blah blah.

Other teams are trying to stop Markus and simply cannot.  no reason to take the ball out of his hands.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2020, 09:49:49 AM »
I don't really get it either. Markus is by far our best offense.  I get wanting to get other guys involved, but I have zero issue whatsoever with Markus putting up 25+ shots a game against high major opponents. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2020, 09:53:39 AM »
I think Markus does shoot too much in certain games, but sadly, it is needed for this team to be competitive against similar talented teams. Markus last night was the type of player I wish we saw every game. He made other guys better, still got off 20 shots and we won.

This team can and will be competitive against 90% of the teams in the country and that can be said about a lot of teams out there. Unless Howard scores 60 and makes others better, we will not be competitive more times than not against the elite teams.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2020, 09:56:13 AM »

Take away an All-American from any team and they'd be worse. It baffles me that people gripe about any of that. What would Iowa be without Luka Garza, Seton Hall without Myles Powell, Dayton without Obi Toppin, 2003 Marquette without Dwyane Wade?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2020, 09:57:29 AM »
KenPom has Markus 3rd in NPOY based on his models.  Powell is 5th.  He has Devon Dotson of Kansas as #1 and Luke Garza at Iowa #2.

Looking at Dotson's numbers, I'm baffled as to why he has Dotson above Markus.  I sure don't feel Powell is better than Markus either, and the award is PLAYER of the year, not Best player on Best team - yet that seems to be the way these/MVP awards are going.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2020, 09:58:47 AM »
Take away an All-American from any team and they'd be worse. It baffles me that people gripe about any of that. What would Iowa be without Luka Garza, Seton Hall without Myles Powell, Dayton without Obi Toppin, 2003 Marquette without Dwyane Wade?

Agree.  And this concerns me for next year.  Fingers crossed we land Mane.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2020, 10:04:52 AM »
You should hear the dude who sits behind us. It's "COME ON MARKUS!" screamed in fury after every miss, and an equally angry "MARKUS!" while each shot goes up (even if it goes in). I wonder if several years from now and zero MU players with 40 point games, he's going to look back on how his experience watching a generational talent was ruined by his own horrible attitude. Probably not, he'll probably just have a new target for his rage.
PRN sits behind you at games?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2020, 10:12:44 AM »
Next to Mine Deanes sunglasses.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2020, 10:13:51 AM »
I think Markus does shoot too much in certain games, but sadly, it is needed for this team to be competitive against similar talented teams. Markus last night was the type of player I wish we saw every game. He made other guys better, still got off 20 shots and we won.

This team can and will be competitive against 90% of the teams in the country and that can be said about a lot of teams out there. Unless Howard scores 60 and makes others better, we will not be competitive more times than not against the elite teams.

Still don't get why this is sad. We have won plenty of times against good teams when Markus was not at his best.  The best win of Markus' tenure was one where he fouled out with zero points.  If he is at his best (or even at his average), give him the ball and get the f*ck out of his way.  Better yet, get in the way of the other team.  And quit your cryin'.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2020, 10:20:51 AM »
Agree.  And this concerns me for next year.  Fingers crossed we land Mane.

Understandable, but next year's team will be a lot different regardless. I'm heartened to see Bailey, Cain, Elliott, and (in limited chances) Sy all able to hit from deep. Garcia will add a dimension we haven't seen since Ellenson (closest recent comparison) and we should still be long, quick, and athletic on defense.

I expect a step back, unless somehow Garcia & Mane both come and play like first-rounders as freshmen. Right now, I'm just happy to enjoy another few months of the Markus Howard Experience.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2020, 10:21:05 AM »
chick

Sadly because he is not good enough to carry this group against elite teams. He can single handily beat virtually all of the 7 BE Bubble teams and do it more often than not. I wish he had the weapons around him to beat the elite teams out there. There is no doubt that he is a special player, but he is surrounded by mostly guys. IMO, Howard is not capable of carrying this team against the upper tier teams and that is why I say "sadly".

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2020, 11:48:25 AM »
chick

Sadly because he is not good enough to carry this group against elite teams. He can single handily beat virtually all of the 7 BE Bubble teams and do it more often than not. I wish he had the weapons around him to beat the elite teams out there. There is no doubt that he is a special player, but he is surrounded by mostly guys. IMO, Howard is not capable of carrying this team against the upper tier teams and that is why I say "sadly".
ask Jay Wright

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2020, 12:05:29 PM »

I guess I don’t view it as a dumb opinion. I believe Paint Touches or AE had an article that came to the conclusion where having an efficient high-usage player can be very good, but carries a lot of risk game to game.

We’ve had trouble with St Johns the last few years, and I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Markus also has struggled against them. As a team, we very much go as Markus goes.

I feel people are making those comments because in the tournament or against better teams, Markus may not be able to have the efficient, high usage game he usually does. I think up until recently, in KenPom “A” games, he wasn’t very efficient.

The good news is on this stretch of 3 wins, Markus has been very good, and Koby, Jayce, and Sacar also seem to be settling into their roles.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »
lawdog

Please note that I was referring to elite teams. Jay has an elite program, but not an elite team this year. That is why I noted that Howard can handle the teams in BE, aside from SH, this year. Nova is a beatable team this year.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2020, 12:11:47 PM »
lawdog

Please note that I was referring to elite teams. Jay has an elite program, but not an elite team this year. That is why I noted that Howard can handle the teams in BE, aside from SH, this year. Nova is a beatable team this year.
they are top 10. Might even be top 5 by end of year. They are the most elite team we have played this year , in my opinion

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2020, 12:24:40 PM »
lawdog

The thing is, most supposed elite (by rankings) teams are beatable. Outside of Baylor you can argue for Gonzaga and SDSU just because they're undefeated. But Kansas and Louisville are beatable. Dayton is not as good as Nova. SLU should have knocked them off just this past weekend. Duke or Kentucky are not the usual powerhouse.

Markus is the type of player that is capable of getting hot and taking down the elite. The thing is, he will probably need a 35+ point performance while at least 2 or 3 supporting cast players play above their role. Still can be a team game even if Markus gets the bulk of the shots.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2020, 12:30:37 PM »
The thing is, most supposed elite (by rankings) teams are beatable. Outside of Baylor you can argue for Gonzaga and SDSU just because they're undefeated. But Kansas and Louisville are beatable. Dayton is not as good as Nova. SLU should have knocked them off just this past weekend. Duke or Kentucky are not the usual powerhouse.

Agreed. I feel pretty confident saying Baylor is very good. Gonzaga and San Diego State look to also be good. After that, it feels like not much more than a blind guess. Duke, Butler, and Kansas have all looked good, but also shown the ability to trip over their shoelaces. I don't really trust much of anyone. Though it could make for a really interesting March.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2020, 12:38:03 PM »
Baylor is playing well right now. But if you watch them that’s a team that is absolutely beatable
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2020, 12:38:52 PM »
Markusquette

Yes Howard could bring down a top team with a great performance by a couple of other guys. I just do not think that if he/MU faced a steady diet of athletic teams, made up of basketball players, that they would fare very well. When all is said and done, MU will probably suffer a tough loss against an athletic, talented team to end their season. In the meantime, it will be fun watching them against the BE.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2020, 12:50:44 PM »
Markusquette

Yes Howard could bring down a top team with a great performance by a couple of other guys. I just do not think that if he/MU faced a steady diet of athletic teams, made up of basketball players, that they would fare very well. When all is said and done, MU will probably suffer a tough loss against an athletic, talented team to end their season. In the meantime, it will be fun watching them against the BE.

I don't disagree. MU winning is contingent on Markus having the hot-hand. MU is capable of beating any team, but I certainly would not bet on it. The team is too volatile to really predict much. Which makes the season as exciting as it is frustrating. I'd imagine most fan bases have a similar feeling about their team considering most have had a handful of disappointing losses and great wins this year.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2020, 12:53:19 PM »
they are top 10. Might even be top 5 by end of year. They are the most elite team we have played this year , in my opinion

Tend to disagree. Nova is not the Nova of last years. Who scared you on their team. They are solid but not Top 10 or 5 - definitely feel Maryland and Seton Hall are better.

That aside beating them at home was a good win and our best of the year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2020, 12:57:52 PM »
Tend to disagree. Nova is not the Nova of last years. Who scared you on their team. They are solid but not Top 10 or 5 - definitely feel Maryland and Seton Hall are better.

That aside beating them at home was a good win and our best of the year.

Maryland isn’t that good. They just played out of their minds against us.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2020, 12:58:06 PM »
Elon

IMO, Maryland and SH are much, much better than Nova. I believe aside from SH, the BE is a bunch of teams that can beat each other on a given night. I agree on your appraisal of Nova. This is a year to beat them twice, which does not happen often.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2020, 12:58:22 PM »
MU is 11-2 when MH is the leading scorer.
3-3 when he is not.

Shoot all you want, young fella.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

feedback