[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ed Morrow  (Read 67018 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: Ed Morrow
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2020, 09:52:59 AM »
do you think last noght was an out of this world shooting performance? Or Purdue?

I think our bigs got 10 shot last night and were involved early..and there was a clear emphasis to involve them.  Something that has frequently been forgotten.  And Ed was assigned into a role here to play on the block/as a big. 

Hard to contribute when your guards rarely share the ball, and if they do, when you miss a shot or travel, you are yanked, and usually get about 2-3 minute stretches of playing time.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2020, 09:57:56 AM »
MU82

IMO, Ed gets the the game and is a far smarter player than Theo. I think one of the biggest things lacking in this years team is a lack of high IQ basketball guys.

I question how many Marquette games you actually watch if you're touting Ed Morrow's basketball IQ......
Guy is a walking personal foul with no low-post feel.  To claim he's "far smarter" than anyone on this team is foolish IMO.

This isn't me knocking a man while he's down, as I hope there's some reconciliation and he's back, but the fact is Ed has been one of our worst players since he's been here.  Definitely does not deserve more PT.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2020, 10:03:28 AM »
I think our bigs got 10 shot last night and were involved early..and there was a clear emphasis to involve them.  Something that has frequently been forgotten.  And Ed was assigned into a role here to play on the block/as a big. 

Hard to contribute when your guards rarely share the ball, and if they do, when you miss a shot or travel, you are yanked, and usually get about 2-3 minute stretches of playing time.

Just to dispel any nonsensical inference that Ed has lacked opportunities, his 17.7 usage rate ranks fourth among players in the rotation, behind only Markus, Sacar and Koby. His shot attempts per 100 possessions ranks fifth among the regulars, ahead of Jayce and Theo.
Ed's minutes aren't likely where he wants them, but he's not being denied opportunities when he's on the floor.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2020, 10:06:43 AM »

The guy has a career turnover percentage of over 20%, as a big, for two different coaches and programs.

I guess two different coaches must not have been giving Ed enough run to get comfortable enough to not be a turnover machine.

I wanted Ed to kill it, and I wish him nothing but the best, but in my (obviously inferior) mind, the solution to Ed's issues was not to keep running Ed out there and throw him the ball so he can try to figure out how not to travel on one end and then having Nate Watson score over him every time down the court on the other end.  But who knows, I'm sure it was just the lack of minutes and had Wojo just let him play through his mistakes he'd have been Charles Barkley.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2020, 10:08:35 AM »
Just to dispel any nonsensical inference that Ed has lacked opportunities, his 17.7 usage rate ranks fourth among players in the rotation, behind only Markus, Sacar and Koby. His shot attempts per 100 possessions ranks fifth among the regulars, ahead of Jayce and Theo.
Ed's minutes aren't likely where he wants them, but he's not being denied opportunities when he's on the floor.

He's played 27% of minutes avail = 10.8 minutes per game.  Chop that up into two or three segments of run, and you have a guy getting 3-5 minutes of run at a time.  Super easy to get into a flow and rhythm.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2020, 10:10:01 AM »
He's played 27% of minutes avail = 10.8 minutes per game.  Chop that up into two or three segments of run, and you have a guy getting 3-5 minutes of run at a time.  Super easy to get into a flow and rhythm.

It's called basketball.  To get more minutes you have to earn them.  Really you have been saying this nonsense about "flow and rhythm" for years to justify why the players you like aren't productive.  And the evidence just doesn't hold up.

I think Wojo deserves some criticism how he handles the locker room.  But don't make sh*t up to justify it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2020, 10:10:15 AM »
Yes, agree with this completely! Plus he would seem to miss point blank bunnies ad naseum.

The guy has a career turnover percentage of over 20%, as a big, for two different coaches and programs.

I guess two different coaches must not have been giving Ed enough run to get comfortable enough to not be a turnover machine.

I wanted Ed to kill it, and I wish him nothing but the best, but in my (obviously inferior) mind, the solution to Ed's issues was not to keep running Ed out there and throw him the ball so he can try to figure out how not to travel on one end and then having Nate Watson score over him every time down the court on the other end.  But who knows, I'm sure it was just the lack of minutes and had Wojo just let him play through his mistakes he'd have been Charles Barkley.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2020, 10:11:29 AM »
Kids leave & get run off all the time. 

I don't like that we've had so many that have erupted mid-season in recent years...DB, Traci, HC, Ed --off the top of my head.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2020, 10:12:48 AM »
I hope Ed comes back. We need his intensity and toughness. He's a fighter who plays hard to win. And that's the definition of a true Warrior.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »

It's called basketball.  To get more minutes you have to earn them.  Really you have been saying this nonsense about "flow and rhythm" for years to justify why the players you like aren't productive.  And the evidence just doesn't hold up.

I think Wojo deserves some criticism how he handles the locker room.  But don't make sh*t up to justify it.

I didn't love Ed as a player...but I can absolutely understand why he struggled.  The "flow and rhythm" isn't nonsense.  Playing on eggshells is a perfect formula for underachievement. 

I'm not surprised that Wojo hasn't been able to manage the locker room/roster well, has had numerous mid-season transfers/quitters.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2020, 10:22:41 AM »

On the flipside, our bigs are generally not very good at kicking the ball back out if they don't have a good look. Once the ball gets into the paint, it stays there. I think our big guys force too many shots just because they're close to the hoop. Especially for a group that is more defense-focused than offense-focused, I'd like to see them get the ball back out to scorers more often.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2020, 10:26:12 AM »
On the flipside, our bigs are generally not very good at kicking the ball back out if they don't have a good look. Once the ball gets into the paint, it stays there. I think our big guys force too many shots just because they're close to the hoop. Especially for a group that is more defense-focused than offense-focused, I'd like to see them get the ball back out to scorers more often.

Yep.

A couple games ago, Ed made a nice pass out of the post for a 3 (BB I think, but might have been Sacar); yesterday, Theo made a great pocket pass to Cain for a layup. I was surprised both times, and cheered the TV set both times.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2020, 10:32:25 AM »

Very true.  I suspect this is a function of knowing they almost never get the ball.  All basketball players want to shoot/score. 

Thought last night was one of our best games, due to better sharing of the ball and getting bigs involved.  It's good for morale, and keeps bigs engaged.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »
In rhythm. No one close. Good shot.
I think you meant to say the shot was nowhere close.
If EM would have shot an open 3 in flow and rhythm of the offense, you may think that’s a good shot.
Both shots would be out of his range.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2020, 10:33:31 AM »
All of this boils down to it is better to have depth than not. We're worse for not having Ed on the bench.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2020, 10:34:28 AM »
All of this boils down to it is better to have depth than not. We're worse for not having Ed on the bench.
Whatever his limitations, its better to have him available.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2020, 10:36:34 AM »
I think you meant to say the shot was nowhere close.
If EM would have shot an open 3 in flow and rhythm of the offense, you may think that’s a good shot.
Both shots would be out of his range.

It wasn't a three.  It was a tad past the free throw line.  No problem with the shot whatsoever, and I'm about 99% sure that it had nothing to do with any "benching" since he played later that game.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

1SE

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2020, 10:36:46 AM »
Whatever his limitations, its better to have him available.

Yep, Theo aggravates his hand, both he and Jayce get into foul trouble, we run into a matchup in the tourney where we absolutely have to have 2 bigs on the floor.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2020, 10:41:00 AM »
Ed was generally fine as long as the ball was not in his hands. Seemingly gave max effort. Just very limited offensively and in 2 years his footwork probably got worse.

Are we better with him available? Sure. But if someone said I had to pick 1 scholarship player to leave the team, it would be Ed. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2020, 10:44:22 AM »

It wasn't a three.  It was a tad past the free throw line.  No problem with the shot whatsoever, and I'm about 99% sure that it had nothing to do with any "benching" since he played later that game.
Didn’t say it was a 3 and didn’t mention anything about the subsequent benching.
There was a reason he was open, as you said.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2020, 10:46:01 AM »
Didn’t say it was a 3

But you brought up a hypothetical three in an absurd way to discredit my thought that a free throw line jumper was a bad shot.  It wasn't.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2020, 10:52:36 AM »

But you brought up a hypothetical three in an absurd way to discredit my thought that a free throw line jumper was a bad shot.  It wasn't.
Would EM taking an open 3 within the rhythm of the offense been a good shot?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2020, 11:14:27 AM »
I hope he is able to return.  The team is better with him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2020, 11:21:14 AM »
Tweet said family stuff. I’ll assume family stuff until proven otherwise.

No, the tweet said nothing about family stuff.  It said "personal reasons".
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2020, 11:27:39 AM »
Yep, Theo aggravates his hand, both he and Jayce get into foul trouble, we run into a matchup in the tourney where we absolutely have to have 2 bigs on the floor.

Spot on!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.