Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Kevin Willard...views of him from Scoop Intelligentsia Past  (Read 9592 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Kevin Willard...views of him from Scoop Intelligentsia Past
« on: January 12, 2020, 11:58:06 AM »
Case in point, let's see how Scoopers thought of Kevin Willard in the past....yet Seton Hall stuck with him and now he has a top 15 Ken Pom
program....because his school wasn't pissing their trousers and knee jerking left and right to the whims of fans.

"No one is hired for their coaching skills. Look at Willard. His "coaching skills" have lost more games than won but his brown bag goes deep so he's still working. Hire the guy who's gonna get you the talent and stay blind to the dirty work of getting wins."
- Golden Avalanche, 2018

"I do think he may have the starting job locked up, but that isn't a good thing for him or Seton Hall, and exactly why some think the Willard era is about to go into a flaming death spiral. Because his replacement for Khadeen Carrington was the worst player on a sub-300 team."
-Brewcity77, 2018

"Reminded me of many of Creans teams,  agree with others, it boils down to the coach.  Willard is average as is Crean.  Good coaches would have done much more"
-Sandknit, 2018

"Seriously guys, Wojo made everyone not named Purnell and Willard look like geniuses."
-Mattyv1908, 2015

"If MU is the 2019 version of Seton Hall this year I think you have to question coaching (I don't Willard is a very good coach)"
-NotAnAlum, 2018

And on and on.  Suddenly, he's the cat's meow. 

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
Re: Kevin Willard...views of him from Scoop Intelligentsia Past
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »
I want Marquette to be nothing similar to Willard’s team.

People love SH right now, they loved SLU, rise and repeat.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 12:13:02 PM »

This. Huggins is a good coach too - much better than Willard - but I would not want him at MU.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 12:23:32 PM »

People love SH right now, they loved SLU, rise and repeat.

Not the point....it's about identifying coaching acumen on this board.  I could do the same thing with 20 other coaches.....we aren't very good at identifying coaches that are good or not good here....which is likely how it should be since we are just fans.  Too many coaches become flavor of the day here, or too many buried as terrible and go on to do just fine.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 12:29:23 PM »
Cheeks - I agree totally with your original point; that SHU is being rewarded for its patience with Willard. In his first five seasons at SHU, he was well below .500 in the BE (and just barely over .500 overall), and didn't go to a single NCAA tournament. So your point is well taken: many here who are constantly ripping on Wojo likely would have drawn and quartered Willard after five seasons.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 07:21:10 AM »
Yes, I have been to the Rock now for about 12 years. When we were beating them and they were not so good they have maybe 5k fans in the lower bowl. Last Saturday's game was the first time I was there where that they opened the upper deck and you could really feel the excitement. Willard had problems with team chemistry when Whitehead was there and players transferred, yet look at where they are now.

I am 73, hopefully I'll live long enough to see that excitement at MU again. If, I can be patient I hope the some of you can be as well. If I have one criticism of Wojo and it is just my perception he is just a little to wound up during games. He always seems to have lost his voice in the huddle as he seems to shout at the players rather than calm and collectively talk to the players.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 08:30:22 AM »
This anecdotal evidence of one guy with an otherwise unremarkable career putting a singular team together at a different program with significantly less resources than ours does nothing to change my opinion of our current head coach.

All I take from this is if we wait long enough, Wojo might catch lightning in a bottle too.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 08:36:30 AM »

This anecdotal evidence of one guy with an otherwise unremarkable career putting a singular team together at a different program with significantly less resources than ours does nothing to change my opinion of our current head coach.

All I take from this is if we wait long enough, Wojo might catch lightning in a bottle too.

Perhaps you could also be reminded that patience is a virtue....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 09:15:18 AM »

I can do the same exercise of more than “one guy” and show the same results of MU Scoopers saying a coach sucked who has done fine, or the opposite where Scoopers fall in love with a coach and he bombs in his career.  Scoopers not particularly good at identifying coaches for the long haul.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 09:22:01 AM »
Case in point, let's see how Scoopers thought of Kevin Willard in the past....yet Seton Hall stuck with him and now he has a top 15 Ken Pom
program....because his school wasn't pissing their trousers and knee jerking left and right to the whims of fans.

"No one is hired for their coaching skills. Look at Willard. His "coaching skills" have lost more games than won but his brown bag goes deep so he's still working. Hire the guy who's gonna get you the talent and stay blind to the dirty work of getting wins."
- Golden Avalanche, 2018

Are you too dense to get my point?

Or did you purposely ignore my point in some misguided way to make up for Wojo having a bad 10 days?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »
dude is seriously unstable.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 10:05:57 AM »
I can do the same exercise of more than “one guy” and show the same results of MU Scoopers saying a coach sucked who has done fine, or the opposite where Scoopers fall in love with a coach and he bombs in his career.  Scoopers not particularly good at identifying coaches for the long haul.

And none of any of the guys you identify will have anything whatsoever to do with our coach other than that they’re in the same profession and people had opinions about them.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 12:22:43 PM »
In his first 5 years, they made no NCAA tourneys and never finished .500 in the BEast.

Fortunately for KW, these years are ignored.

KW 2020
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 12:37:34 PM »
[/quote

This is an example of the hate and vitriol people are talking about. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 12:52:33 PM »
[/quote

This is an example of the hate and vitriol people are talking about.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 01:01:54 PM »
If both were still in the BE, would we hate Cronin or Willard more?

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 01:37:32 PM »
If both were still in the BE, would we hate Cronin or Willard more?

Easy answer, we'd hate Huggins more.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 02:58:12 PM »
Fred's son has done well for himself. Also, both are lewd

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 03:01:17 PM »
Are you too dense to get my point?

Or did you purposely ignore my point in some misguided way to make up for Wojo having a bad 10 days?

MU beat Villanova 10 days ago, so not sure on the bad days' comments....am I too dense to get it?  I think 10 days ago was a very good day for Wojo, I suspect 9 days ago was, too.

I don't believe I purposely ignored anything, but by all means, explain your comments if you wish.

End of the day, fans are emotional and love the 2nd string QB...love the coach they don't have...love the date they aren't with.  We have been epic here of burying coaches who turned out just fine, or anointing coaches that crashed and burned.  We are really good at having a list of criteria for another coach that looks eerily the same for the coach we cannot wait to throw into the ocean.   

At the end of the day, simply changing for the sake of change without identifying who is going to be the replacement is a fool's errand that I'm quite sure the accomplished folks in the athletic department know.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2020, 03:30:50 PM »
At the end of the day, it’s about what are your goals for the program and is Wojo the coach to achieve those goals? I think for some, the goal is another National Championship or being a consistent threat for the second weekend.

I’d personally like to see a title in my lifetime. I’m jealous of the crowd around in 1977. I hope Wojo is the coach that can do that. I’m getting more skeptical that he is that coach.

I think there are real concerns that Wojo won’t be any higher than a coach who will have you on the bubble most years with the possibility for better when his anchor class gets experience. If we lost to Holy Cross in 03, I bet there are similar discussions on this board later in the Crean era.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 05:30:56 PM »
At the end of the day, simply changing for the sake of change without identifying who is going to be the replacement is a fool's errand that I'm quite sure the accomplished folks in the athletic department know.

I would bet my life savings that MU has a list of replacement coaches right now and have had it for years and constantly update the list. As you say, the athletic department has "accomplished folks" and will always be ready to make a change.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 05:58:19 PM »
I would bet my life savings that MU has a list of replacement coaches right now and have had it for years and constantly update the list. As you say, the athletic department has "accomplished folks" and will always be ready to make a change.

No doubt they do....we can all make lists, some here have...that doesn't mean a single one of them chooses to come.   

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 06:02:14 PM »
At the end of the day, it’s about what are your goals for the program and is Wojo the coach to achieve those goals? I think for some, the goal is another National Championship or being a consistent threat for the second weekend.

I’d personally like to see a title in my lifetime. I’m jealous of the crowd around in 1977. I hope Wojo is the coach that can do that. I’m getting more skeptical that he is that coach.

I think there are real concerns that Wojo won’t be any higher than a coach who will have you on the bubble most years with the possibility for better when his anchor class gets experience. If we lost to Holy Cross in 03, I bet there are similar discussions on this board later in the Crean era.

Hasn't the goal been to do that for probably 75 programs?  There is a reason why only a handful win it, because it is so damn hard....so much luck, plus the right players, etc.   I'd love to win one, too.  In my mind you do it bottoms up.  You strive to win the conference, make the tournament, be successful to set yourself and then see how the tournament plays out. 

Here's the irony, and Al said this to me, the department, and the media.  The 1977 team, for which we are all jealous, that was not his best team.  I believe he said it was like his 5th or 6th best team...but that's the one that got enough of the bounces, enough of the good Karma, luck, great poise by great players, etc, to win.  His best teams, didn't get that. 

burger

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 06:08:29 PM »
Easy answer, we'd hate Huggins more.

Some of you are too young.....Huggins actually had a couple of players kidnap a local drug dealer.....tie him up.....and torture him with a "red hot" metal coat hanger to have him tell them where his "stash" was located....

That is an all timer.....

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2020, 06:49:56 PM »
No doubt they do....we can all make lists, some here have...that doesn't mean a single one of them chooses to come.
So MU's AD has a list of unrealistic coaches? I guess you don't think very highly of MU's AD.

I believe MU's AD and athletic department are very good and true professionals that know what they are doing. Sorry you disagree.