[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: I know we’re pi$$ed, but...  (Read 2616 times)

goldeneagle91114

• All American
I know we’re pi$$ed, but...
« on: March 07, 2020, 05:03:12 PM »
As much as it pains me to say it, the BoT and Scholl are still in love with wojo.

Emotions aside, what can actually be done to fix these issues next year?

Again, please keep emotions in-check.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: I know we’re pi$$ed, but...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 05:12:34 PM »
Nothing. Full on nihilism

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 05:28:05 PM »
Get some guards who can dribble and not turn it over.Hopefully a PG who can run the offense.You will be surprised the difference it makes.McKinley Wright stats today: 20 points,6 rebs, 6 assists 2 steals and only 3 turnovers in 43 minutes.That is a point guard

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 07:42:46 PM »
As much as it pains me to say it, the BoT and Scholl are still in love with wojo.

Emotions aside, what can actually be done to fix these issues next year?

Again, please keep emotions in-check.

Love...Can you tell me why?  He has a good haircut?  Is nice to them?  Ladi frickin da.  Buzz was 20x the coach wojo will ever be...admin are a stupid cluster...

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 07:48:55 PM »
Fix the issues?

No, the issues will be compounded next year by losing your most valuable player and not having anyone on the roster who's able to get his own shot.  The team will be reliant on youth and inexperience at the PG position.  MU basketball won't be competitive in the least next year and may be one of the worst years in recent memory.

Who's going to score?
Who's going to handle the ball?
Who's the leader?
Etc, etc, etc

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »
Nothing.

But when money stops flowing, then action will be taken.  Same as it ever was.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 08:09:31 AM »
What can be done? Play to the team's strengths, first of all. Wojo is obsessed with an up-tempo approach when his team turns it over too much and doesn't force them enough. If guys like Sy & Koby will be the ball-handlers, slow it down so they aren't forcing the action, which often leads to the sloppiness St John's exploited yesterday.

Defensively, we may need more zone. We will be young and long. Heavy zone could make up for likely defensive lapses by freshmen.

Overall, allow play to dictate the lineups. Don't be married to one starting lineup come hell or high water. If guys like Garcia, Torrence, John, Cain, Bailey, McEwen, Elliott, Oso, & others flash starting ability, let them start. Don't be afraid to let a player start one night and come off the bench the next. Let your roster dictate what the other team does, not vice versa.

But I expect none of that. We'll have the same starting five in game 2 as we do in game 32. We'll play fast and loose, try to run before we can walk, and stick to man long after its effectiveness has ran out. Because that's what we do.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 08:16:18 AM »
What can be done? Play to the team's strengths, first of all. Wojo is obsessed with an up-tempo approach when his team turns it over too much and doesn't force them enough. If guys like Sy & Koby will be the ball-handlers, slow it down so they aren't forcing the action, which often leads to the sloppiness St John's exploited yesterday.

Defensively, we may need more zone. We will be young and long. Heavy zone could make up for likely defensive lapses by freshmen.

Overall, allow play to dictate the lineups. Don't be married to one starting lineup come hell or high water. If guys like Garcia, Torrence, John, Cain, Bailey, McEwen, Elliott, Oso, & others flash starting ability, let them start. Don't be afraid to let a player start one night and come off the bench the next. Let your roster dictate what the other team does, not vice versa.

But I expect none of that. We'll have the same starting five in game 2 as we do in game 32. We'll play fast and loose, try to run before we can walk, and stick to man long after its effectiveness has ran out. Because that's what we do.

Exactly, Wojo trys to be Duke w/out Duke talent. We need a coach who has done the most w/the least amount of talent, i.e. someone who can adapt to the other team's styles

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 08:26:53 AM »
In the first game against St. John's, they dropped the defense back into almost a pack-line man, and it worked beautifully. I don't know if I've seen it since.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 08:35:16 AM »
What can be done? Play to the team's strengths, first of all.

Agree entirely. We don't adapt quick enough, in-game or game to game. Look at Illinois this year. Took a step back in the offseason and adapted to the roster he had rather than force it.
https://247sports.com/college/illinois/Article/Illinois-basketball-Illini-coach-Brad-Underwood-defensive-changes-142261182/

Our current rosters bigs are not an offensive threat, which puts added pressure on our team to go one-on-one and the defense hedges against our guards. When we play Seton Hall or Creighton the lack of range and/or scoring from our bigs is even more evident. While we will be young next year and will take our lumps, the fact that there will be competing for minutes will be helpful. There is none of that this year. Also, the fact that we will have more able bodies will help down the stretch of the season. While we shorten our roster come the end of the season, we have lost our legs.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 09:14:12 AM »
As Alien and Brew have pointed out, Wojo is going to do whatever he wants to whether or not it works because he is "obsessed" with (add your own words) and "tries to be Duke without Duke talent" (with the exception of Markus). I would rarely suggest a correction to a Brew post but I think the last line should read "because that's what Wojo does".

I think Wojo will go down with the ship rather than make the corrections that are necessary. I am not trying to be a smart azz here when I say this but I think he has at least one serious psychological/behaviorial handicap, and possibly several. I will quickly add that I have no professional education or training to make a definitive statement and that this is simply my layman's opinion. As long as Wojo is Marquette's coach, things will not end well.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.