[Today at 08:10:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kevin Willard...views of him from Scoop Intelligentsia Past  (Read 9741 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Kevin Willard...views of him from Scoop Intelligentsia Past
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2020, 07:00:36 PM »
MU beat Villanova 10 days ago, so not sure on the bad days' comments....am I too dense to get it?  I think 10 days ago was a very good day for Wojo, I suspect 9 days ago was, too.

I don't believe I purposely ignored anything, but by all means, explain your comments if you wish.

End of the day, fans are emotional and love the 2nd string QB...love the coach they don't have...love the date they aren't with.  We have been epic here of burying coaches who turned out just fine, or anointing coaches that crashed and burned.  We are really good at having a list of criteria for another coach that looks eerily the same for the coach we cannot wait to throw into the ocean.   

At the end of the day, simply changing for the sake of change without identifying who is going to be the replacement is a fool's errand that I'm quite sure the accomplished folks in the athletic department know.

Thank you for admitting you purposely ignored my point to misrepresent what was written about Willard.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2020, 07:22:34 PM »
dude is seriously unstable.
Chico's?  I would say more fragile than unstable.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2020, 07:33:13 PM »
So MU's AD has a list of unrealistic coaches? I guess you don't think very highly of MU's AD.

I believe MU's AD and athletic department are very good and true professionals that know what they are doing. Sorry you disagree.

I'm sure they have a list of potential targets. Whoever they are, they all need to meet several criteria to be realistic.
Availability, a quality individual,, a good fit for the MU system, the prospect of long term stability and success , and a pedigree from a program with high level success.

Damn...... I just described Wojo

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2020, 09:02:39 PM »
Thank you for admitting you purposely ignored my point to misrepresent what was written about Willard.

I didn't then and I am admitting no such thing.   "I don't believe I purposely ignored anything, but by all means, explain your comments if you wish."   If you wish to explain yourself further I am all ears, but rest assured I am admitting so such thing. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2020, 09:24:02 PM »
I'm sure they have a list of potential targets. Whoever they are, they all need to meet several criteria to be realistic.
Availability, a quality individual,, a good fit for the MU system, the prospect of long term stability and success , and a pedigree from a program with high level success.

Damn...... I just described Wojo
LOL! This is what my kids call a 'bad dad joke'.

As a dad who tells bad jokes, I liked it. Well played sir.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 09:27:07 PM »
LOL! This is what my kids call a 'bad dad joke'.

As a dad who tells bad jokes, I liked it. Well played sir.

I try.....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2020, 03:55:38 PM »
As a reminder, Kevin Willard went to the following his first five seasons at Seton Hall

ZERO NCAA Tournaments
ONE NIT Tournament

They currently have a three game lead in the Big East conference
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2020, 03:59:15 PM »

This. Huggins is a good coach too - much better than Willard - but I would not want him at MU.
Amen

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2020, 04:05:40 PM »
As a reminder, Kevin Willard went to the following his first five seasons at Seton Hall

ZERO NCAA Tournaments
ONE NIT Tournament

They currently have a three game lead in the Big East conference

Preceeded by BoGo, Louis Orr, Tommy Ammacker and George Blaney. Keep trying.

Wojo is 1-21 versus Pomeroy Top 25 teams. In the next three games, he is likely to play three more. Let’s talk then. I expect 2-1. Win tomorrow, and MU is tied for 2nd.   

Go Warriors!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2020, 04:07:41 PM »
Willard has 1 NCAA win in 9 years. He’s having a great year but it’s not like beyond those years he’s been killing it. His resume reads like Crean without the Final Four.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2020, 04:08:53 PM »
Willard has 1 NCAA win in 9 years. He’s having a great year but it’s not like beyond those years he’s been killing it. His resume reads like Crean without the Final Four.

My point is that the knuckleheads wanted him fired, just as the knuckleheads wanted Wright fired, and on and on.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2020, 04:12:41 PM »
Preceeded by BoGo, Louis Orr, Tommy Ammacker and George Blaney. Keep trying.

Wojo is 1-21 versus Pomeroy Top 25 teams. In the next three games, he is likely to play three more. Let’s talk then. I expect 2-1. Win tomorrow, and MU is tied for 2nd.   

Go Warriors!

That stat....source please. 

Louis Orr took the Pirates to the NCAA tournament 2 of his last three years...including his final year.  Willard took over for Gonzalez who went to the NIT his final year.

I know you keep wanting to compare Wojo to Crean and Buzz, but those two got to recruit different players than Wojo is allowed to...so why do you and others keep making the false comparisons?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2020, 04:16:34 PM »
CBB is cyclical.  SH has a likely AA this year, so they are going to be good.  They will drop off next year when he leaves.  The thing I would question about Willard (which I think you can say about every Beast coach not named Wright) is their consistency.  He pulled Whitehead, Delgado, Carrington, Rodriguez, and Powell in a very good 3 year stretch.  Their current Freshman class is a pair of 3*s, their incoming class is a pair of 3*s.  You need to be able to consistently recruit well to stay on top.  They'll still have Cale, Mamu, Reynolds and Rhoden next year, so they won't drop of a cliff, but that recruiting needs an uptick in order to keep this current level of success.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2020, 04:18:18 PM »

I posted this earlier but cannot find it.  During Wojo's career, he has gone something like 2-23 against teams who ended the year KenPom top 25.  Villanova when they were #1 and Wisconsin when we had Henry.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »

Louis Orr took the Pirates to the NCAA tournament 2 of his last three years...including his final year.  Willard took over for Gonzalez who went to the NIT his final year.

I know you keep wanting to compare Wojo to Crean and Buzz, but those two got to recruit different players than Wojo is allowed to...so why do you and others keep making the false comparisons?

Paint Touches is the source. Let’s reverse this the next three games. Hall with a tough win today but their first half schedule was weak.  Let’s win this conference.

And, please tell me you aren’t favorably comparing Wojo to BoGo and Louie Orr? 

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59840.msg1199707#msg1199707

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2020, 04:34:18 PM »

I posted this earlier but cannot find it.  During Wojo's career, he has gone something like 2-23 against teams who ended the year KenPom top 25.  Villanova when they were #1 and Wisconsin when we had Henry.

I didn’t go through all of it, but we beat Wisconsin at home last year and they finished 16th in Kenpom, Buffalo at home last year and they finished 22nd in KenPom, and Louisville on a neutral and they finished 23rd in Kenpom. So maybe all years prior to that is accurate but I don’t think that record is correct.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:37:00 PM by manesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2020, 04:36:47 PM »
OK, then that must have been the Wisconsin victory.  Thanks for the correction.

Put it this way, it wasn't very good and paled to Buzz's record in comparison.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2020, 04:37:13 PM »
So all the great wins against ranked teams don't count because the opponents didn't end the year as KenPom top-25 teams?

Ridiculous.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2020, 04:38:10 PM »
OK, then that must have been the Wisconsin victory.  Thanks for the correction.

Put it this way, it wasn't very good and paled to Buzz's record in comparison.

Just edited it. Also beat Buffalo and Louisville who finished top 25 in Kenpom last year. So had more than 2 top 25 KenPom wins...just last year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2020, 04:49:47 PM »
Just edited it. Also beat Buffalo and Louisville who finished top 25 in Kenpom last year. So had more than 2 top 25 KenPom wins...just last year.

Sorry.  Paint Touches story with 1-21 were away from home games vs. Top 25.  Buffalo and Whiskey were home games.

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »

Cool. If I care enough to find the post I will. Clearly my memory is wrong about the details.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2020, 04:51:05 PM »
So all the great wins against ranked teams don't count because the opponents didn't end the year as KenPom top-25 teams?

Ridiculous.

It was a metric applied consistently and was easy to research.

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2020, 04:59:11 PM »
Here it is. 2-24 against teams that finished the year Kenpom top 20.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59610.msg1187706#msg1187706

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2020, 05:10:56 PM »
Here it is. 2-24 against teams that finished the year Kenpom top 20.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59610.msg1187706#msg1187706

Stat is still inaccurate. 2 last year (UW/KSU) and Nova 2017. Those might be the only 3 but I didn't look further than 2019

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2020, 05:12:47 PM »
Stat is still inaccurate. 2 last year (UW/KSU) and Nova 2017. Those might be the only 3 but I didn't look further than 2019

Thanks for the correction.