[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Missing Scoopers?  (Read 40070 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Missing Scoopers?
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2020, 07:44:04 AM »
This is true.   However, recruits and their families do read message boards.    And it can negatively influence them.    Badger fans negatively influenced Blue, Matthews, the Hauser family.    Legend has it that message board chatter cost MU a recruit under Crean.   Certainly, the Diener family has no love for a certain poster on the Dodds board.     Now, some will argue that recruits and their families should not read message boards.   That it is just a message board and what anonymous fans post shouldn't be taken seriously or personally.     Balderdash.   

You are judged by what you say everywhere and by everyone.    Words do create impressions.   People do infer character of individuals and a fanbase as a whole.     It just is.

I understand what you are saying, tower. I would argue that we shouldn't go after MU players and that we shouldn't launch scathing, repeated diatribes against the MU coach because being civil is simply the right thing to do.

That being said, I don't believe folks who articulate a genuine dissatisfaction with the direction of the program should have to think, "I better pretend to be happy, or to not care, because a recruit's uncle might see this." It's a fan site. We are allowed to have fan takes.

Are there really major college hoops programs whose fan sites NEVER criticize the coach and/or players out of fear that recruits might be logged on? If so, why aren't those programs getting all the great recruits? I have seen Kentucky, Duke, Carolina and Kansas fan sites; I wonder how those programs keep getting 5-star recruits.

I do believe there are ways to discuss a coach's shortcomings without saying, "So-and-so is a moron. I never liked him. All he does is de-motivate our players. He's a tool. Etc." And certainly, adults attacking the teenagers and early-20-somethings who have dedicated their lives to MU basketball are revealing their lack of character.

As with most things, there are degrees of "right" and "wrong," lots of nuance.

I thought Wojo looked weak when he was unable to do one of the biggest parts of any coach's job: manage his players' egos. I hated losing the Hausers, and even more, I worried that the situation might hurt future recruiting. I did not for one second say to myself, "Gee, if I voice those concerns on Scoop, I could cost us future recruits."

Others, obviously, are free to disagree. It's an interesting topic, in and of itself.

And, of course, I am delighted to have been shown I really shouldn't have worried that Hausershima would hurt Wojo's ability to land good recruits.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2020, 07:44:43 AM »
Does Chico's actually have a job?  Sure seems to be a lot of free time.

Keep lying...you have mastered it
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GOO

• All American
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2020, 07:49:27 AM »
This is true.   However, recruits and their families do read message boards.    And it can negatively influence them.    Badger fans negatively influenced Blue, Matthews, the Hauser family.    Legend has it that message board chatter cost MU a recruit under Crean.   Certainly, the Diener family has no love for a certain poster on the Dodds board.     Now, some will argue that recruits and their families should not read message boards.   That it is just a message board and what anonymous fans post shouldn't be taken seriously or personally.     Balderdash.   

You are judged by what you say everywhere and by everyone.    Words do create impressions.   People do infer character of individuals and a fanbase as a whole.     It just is.

I do think that one's character can come through on a board like this, as people tend not to hide their true self as much as they do in person.  True "character revealed" on these boards?  As far as the board itself or fan base itself, I do agree that families and others do get impressions and extrapolate a few comments and generalize to the whole - as that seems to be human nature - take one or two points and assume and extrapolate to the whole.  Bad logic, but it is part of what we do as humans, even though we should know better. 

One thing I have learned from this board is just how many people have egos (or is it fragile egos) that any slight must be responded to and how hurt people get at the slightest of slights.  Little ability to take a glancing jab or negative comment and move on to the important things in life that actually matter.   

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2020, 08:07:44 AM »
Lots of missing scoopers tonight

Didn’t see the game, was in meetings until late last night....plus a celebration with my family.  Will watch game tonight, sounds like we played well.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2020, 08:12:06 AM »
Sometimes I think people are trying to sabotage his recruitment to make Wojo look bad.

Wow that’s a bad (but hilarious) take

Thank you for coming out of your silent room after all these years lurking and carrying the mantle of all good things Scoop. Your 12 days of fighting for the life of the Scoop board against all things and posters unjust will be rewarded in heaven.

Arby's coupons for you, sir, for your newfound gallantry.
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2020, 08:29:04 AM »
Xavier board has a Fire Steele thread and it sounds just like some folks here.  Lots of experts out there.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2020, 09:40:29 AM »
When you're dealing with " fans " who only show up after a loss to spew caustic, vitriolic, negative rhetoric, but lack the courage to show up after a win, I wouldn't put anything past them.

Ya know what Scoop doesn't need? A white knight to ride in a solve all of it's problems, cause you are actually just making it worse. General interneting says don't feed the trolls, stick to facts and debating valid opinions and the rest will take care of itself.

Scoop has been here long before you, and it will be here long after you're gone. Same with the trolls. MU has landed and lost lots of recruits none of whom did it matter that some keyboard tough guys were debating the merits of the programs coach in some hazy corner of the internet. I bring this up to you because unlike the trolls you might be redeemable. Just let it all go.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2020, 10:00:56 AM »
Ya know what Scoop doesn't need? A white knight to ride in a solve all of it's problems, cause you are actually just making it worse. General interneting says don't feed the trolls, stick to facts and debating valid opinions and the rest will take care of itself.

Scoop has been here long before you, and it will be here long after you're gone. Same with the trolls. MU has landed and lost lots of recruits none of whom did it matter that some keyboard tough guys were debating the merits of the programs coach in some hazy corner of the internet. I bring this up to you because unlike the trolls you might be redeemable. Just let it all go.

WhoaJoe: Highly recommend you heed mu03's advice. He is among the most reasonable posters on Scoop.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2020, 10:19:49 AM »

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2020, 03:17:17 PM »
Does Chico's actually have a job?  Sure seems to be a lot of free time.

That’s what I’ve saying. What does this person do that they have that much free time?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2020, 04:35:35 PM »
That’s what I’ve saying. What does this person do that they have that much free time?

I work for a university

You also incorrectly believe I am someone else posting here....that’s a Tsmith34 issue that you are falling for.  Blame yourself.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2020, 04:45:08 PM »
WhoaJoe: Highly recommend you heed mu03's advice. He is among the most reasonable posters on Scoop.

I'm not sure what to make of mu03.
That posters take after a win is SO different from their take after a loss.
It's like they're two different people.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2020, 05:19:40 PM »

Behind WalMart?

Because you can’t spell “martial law” without it.   ;)
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2020, 05:45:03 PM »
I work for a university

You also incorrectly believe I am someone else posting here....that’s a Tsmith34 issue that you are falling for.  Blame yourself.

What do you for a living that you have free time during the day and can work at 2am if you want?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2020, 06:20:31 PM »
What do you for a living that you have free time during the day and can work at 2am if you want?

I don’t want to work at 2:00am, there are times I am compelled to because of partnerships around the world in different time zones, etc.  My “free time” during the day is usually during lunch, my morning drive or my evening. Or maybe something opens up and I need 10 minutes to get my brain off the grind...this is an outlet for me.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2020, 07:07:53 PM »

If by so different you mean that I post after wins but i don't after losses then yes I'm all over the place
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2020, 07:17:54 PM »

Some share one account others make multiple  ;)

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2020, 07:19:12 PM »
I don’t want to work at 2:00am, there are times I am compelled to because of partnerships around the world in different time zones, etc.  My “free time” during the day is usually during lunch, my morning drive or my evening. Or maybe something opens up and I need 10 minutes to get my brain off the grind...this is an outlet for me.

You shouldn't be scooping and driving

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2020, 07:31:07 PM »

I don’t....don’t text and drive.

Carpool

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2020, 07:34:29 PM »

Don’t worry he’s not. He won’t tell anyone what he actually does because he does nothing. One post he says he has a job that affords him the flexibility  to work at 2am if he wants and now he is saying he doesn’t want to work at 2am he just has all these important global partners that need him at all hours. It sounds made up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2020, 07:39:07 PM »

I think you are getting him confused with somebody else.

I told you what to make of mu03eng: He is a very intelligent Marquette fan who almost always offers well-thought-out and reasonable takes.

His advice to you was excellent. Not sure why you wouldn't accept in the kind, constructive and useful manner in which it was intended.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2020, 07:41:29 PM »
Don’t worry he’s not. He won’t tell anyone what he actually does because he does nothing. One post he says he has a job that affords him the flexibility  to work at 2am if he wants and now he is saying he doesn’t want to work at 2am he just has all these important global partners that need him at all hours. It sounds made up.

Cheeks has been very public on who he is and what his job is. While he is often over the top on his arguments with the hyperbole, he is also a professional expert in sports and media, if not the top one here on Scoop. Why he chooses the hills he does to die on is one thing, but it can also be quite fun to poke that pig.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2020, 08:50:06 PM »
Cheeks has been very public on who he is and what his job is. While he is often over the top on his arguments with the hyperbole, he is also a professional expert in sports and media, if not the top one here on Scoop. Why he chooses the hills he does to die on is one thing, but it can also be quite fun to poke that pig.

If one is to die, need to pick a hill and own it.  Plant the flag.  I hear more NCAA reporting about to come out for the next school by end of January.  :D

Barfing Keith is on ignore...not worth the brain cells.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2020, 08:52:06 PM »
If one is to die, need to pick a hill and own it.  Plant the flag.  I hear more NCAA reporting about to come out for the next school by end of January.  :D

Well, it is summer in Argentina.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2020, 08:54:09 PM »
Well, it is summer in Argentina.

I like the way you think

feedback