[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Missing Scoopers?  (Read 40247 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Missing Scoopers?
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »
Cuonzo Martin, Ben Howlund and Shaka Smart

Top paying job, national recruiting base, NBA arena? Gee I don’t know? I’m not sure who would be interested this time, but last go around, all of the head coaches on the carousel made themselves available for Marquette.

Not moving on from mediocrity because, it’s too hard to find someone or if they’re really good they’ll leave is a pretty lame reason, even for you.

Retread. Retread. Retread.

We ended up with an assistant....AGAIN.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2020, 07:35:34 PM »
Retread. Retread. Retread.

We ended up with an assistant....AGAIN.
How could Shaka Smart be a retread if Texas was his second job? Do you know what retread means?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »
How could Shaka Smart be a retread if Texas was his second job? Do you know what retread means?

None of those guys are better than Wojo and you’re lying to yourself otherwise.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2020, 08:28:51 PM »
Ners, appreciate the concern. Happy to report that I am doing great. My first daughter was born early Monday morning. Past week has been lots of joy  and not a lot of sleep. Wasn't able to watch the Providence game (sounds like I was lucky) but did see the Seton Hall game. Daughter is doing great but apparently not a good luck charm for Marquette!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2020, 08:30:28 PM »
Ners, appreciate the concern. Happy to report that I am doing great. My first daughter was born early Monday morning. Past week has been lots of joy  and not a lot of sleep. Wasn't able to watch the Providence game (sounds like I was lucky) but did see the Seton Hall game. Daughter is doing great but apparently not a good luck charm for Marquette!
What's the little ones name.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2020, 08:33:55 PM »
Painfully mediocre. Never greater than the sum of his parts. If you’re ok with that, fine. But many of us believe this program deserves better than .500 in conference.

Do you hear me saying I'm OK with mediocrity??  Do you think this incoming class is mediocre?? Especially if we get Mane??  I already conceded that Wojos tenure has been a mixed bag, and that it took this top ten recruiting class to put me solidly in favor of retaining him. This season was FUBAR once the Hausers left and the injuries started stacking up. If Wojo salvages an NCAA appearance that would be another point in the plus column. I won't give him extra credit if he wins one game in the tournament then loses. It's just one game. BFD. If they win two or three, sure.
If they don't make the tournament it's another point in the minus column but that's all it is. The Hausers leaving made that outcome highly likely.

panda

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2020, 08:39:11 PM »

We’ll never know for sure, but it’s really been a horse a piece given the results of each coach at their new gigs.

My main point is that Chicos said no head coach would be interested. That is patently false. He then called Shaka Smart a retread. That is patently false.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2020, 08:41:15 PM »
What's the little ones name.

TAMU Jr, obvisouly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2020, 08:41:42 PM »
Do you hear me saying I'm OK with mediocrity??  Do you think this incoming class is mediocre?? Especially if we get Mane??  I already conceded that Wojos tenure has been a mixed bag, and that it took this top ten recruiting class to put me solidly in favor of retaining him. This season was FUBAR once the Hausers left and the injuries started stacking up. If Wojo salvages an NCAA appearance that would be another point in the plus column. I won't give him extra credit if he wins one game in the tournament then loses. It's just one game. BFD. If they win two or three, sure.
If they don't make the tournament it's another point in the minus column but that's all it is. The Hausers leaving made that outcome highly likely.

He totally mismanaged the Hauser situation so he’s not getting any sympathy from me on that one.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2020, 08:47:09 PM »

I’m talking about now.

But ok, last I checked Smart said NO.  So what was left were retreads.  And once again we ended up with an assistant...AGAIN.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2020, 08:49:07 PM »
We’ll never know for sure, but it’s really been a horse a piece given the results of each coach at their new gigs.

My main point is that Chicos said no head coach would be interested. That is patently false. He then called Shaka Smart a retread. That is patently false.

I did not say no head coach would be interested.  I said a head coach that is worth something won’t...as has been the case for years now.  No doubt lots of mid major coaches who have proven nothing will be interested.  Yay. Yay. Yay.  So awesome.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2020, 08:49:43 PM »
Are we now claiming we couldn’t possibly get a better coach than Wojo? I’m lost.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2020, 08:49:58 PM »
He totally mismanaged the Hauser situation so he’s not getting any sympathy from me on that one.

LOL.  You have no idea.  If Hausers back, other guys gone but you refuse to accept this. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2020, 08:52:43 PM »
I did not say no head coach would be interested.  I said a head coach that is worth something won’t...as has been the case for years now.  No doubt lots of mid major coaches who have proven nothing will be interested.  Yay. Yay. Yay.  So awesome.

Nope you said Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan implying we can’t get a premier head coaching target. Duh.

panda

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2020, 08:53:59 PM »
LOL.  You have no idea.  If Hausers back, other guys gone but you refuse to accept this.

Yikes. I don’t know how we’d manage....

The situation never should have reached the point of players leaving. The situation was completely botched.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2020, 08:54:49 PM »

Which would mean he mismanaged the situation, just in a different way.  I'm interested in who everyone assumes would've left though.  I absolutely would've wished Jamal Cain the best at a more appropriate school for his talent.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2020, 08:57:54 PM »
Nope you said Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan implying we can’t get a premier head coaching target. Duh.

Correct, Stevens and Donovan are not coming nor are any other high major premier coaches.

You said I said NO HEAD COACHES....you are absolutely dead wrong.  Premier head coaches = no.  Avg head coaches, mid major head coaches...sure.  Big difference.

Read what you wrote...you are flat out wrong.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2020, 08:58:43 PM »
Yikes. I don’t know how we’d manage....

The situation never should have reached the point of players leaving. The situation was completely botched.

You know nothing of the situation the same way you know nothing of a black hole.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2020, 08:59:51 PM »
Which would mean he mismanaged the situation, just in a different way.  I'm interested in who everyone assumes would've left though.  I absolutely would've wished Jamal Cain the best at a more appropriate school for his talent.

No, it means some relationships no matter what you do cannot remain.  Period.  As much as you pretend the coach has all the power and reasoning to keep everyone together, you are wrong on that front.  Just more agenda nonsense. 

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2020, 09:01:31 PM »
No, it means some relationships no matter what you do cannot remain.  Period.  As much as you pretend the coach has all the power and reasoning to keep everyone together, you are wrong on that front.  Just more agenda nonsense.

Nope, just laying the blame where it belongs. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »
You know nothing of the situation the same way you know nothing of a black hole.

What do you know then?

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2020, 09:02:22 PM »
[/quote ]

nm
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:05:06 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2020, 09:03:21 PM »
Nope, just laying the blame where it belongs.

Oh, you mean with everyone...got it.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2020, 09:05:41 PM »
Oh, you mean with everyone...got it.

Sure.  The guy who's 20 years their senior is gonna look worse though.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2020, 09:06:44 PM »
Markus stayed, Hausers go.  Period.  Markus goes, Hausers might stay (one).

Hausers stay, two guys go....not hard who they are.  Both playing now and giving solid minutes and scoring punch. 

Either way, net subtraction of players.