[Today at 03:01:12 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Where Could Wojo Go?" Watch - January 12  (Read 9706 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
"Where Could Wojo Go?" Watch - January 12
« on: January 12, 2020, 07:25:52 AM »
This has been discussed in various topics, but I thought we could consolidate it here.  If Wojo were to hightail it out of here after this season, where could he go?  It would need to be a place that is likely to have an opening after this year, AND is strong enough of a job where he could save face and not make it look like too much of a demotion.  So with 20 minutes on a laptop and a full pot of coffee, this is what I came up with.

Top Choices

Wake Forest:  This is the perfect choice IMO.  I think the Deacons are going to move on from Danny Manning after this year.  He would go back to a private school in the ACC, and I think they would be happy to have him.

Georgia Tech:  Another school that is likely to move on from their coach.  A school in the ACC, but one that may have greater ambitions than Wojo.

Boston College:  That is if they decide to part ways with Christian.  Wojo has recruited the east well and the Jesuit background can't hurt right?

Worth Mentioning

NC State:  Likley don't move on from Keats despite the negative trajectory.  Checks a lot of boxes however.

Miami: Jim Larranaga might be forced out after this year.  I can't see Wojo going there, but....

South Carolina:  I can see Frank Martin jumping ship to take the Miami job, leaving this one open for Wojo.

Probably Not

Minnesota:  They may move on from little Ricky, but highly doubtful they would look at Wojo.

Oklahoma State:  Probably more interested in a guy who is from that part of the country.

Penn State: Chambers is saving his job there.

South Florida:  Brian Gregory might be out after this year.  AAC school with some profile.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
Re: "Where Could Wojo Go?" Watch - January 12
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 07:31:20 AM »
Wojo would be smart to hit the road after this season. He would set his family for life with another 5-6 year stint at a high level D1 program. By leaving he buys himself time on another rebuild with no chance of getting fired. If he were my son, I would be giving him that advice.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 07:34:00 AM »
This has been discussed in various topics, but I thought we could consolidate it here.  If Wojo were to hightail it out of here after this season, where could he go?  It would need to be a place that is likely to have an opening after this year, AND is strong enough of a job where he could save face and not make it look like too much of a demotion.  So with 20 minutes on a laptop and a full pot of coffee, this is what I came up with.

Top Choices

Wake Forest:  This is the perfect choice IMO.  I think the Deacons are going to move on from Danny Manning after this year.  He would go back to a private school in the ACC, and I think they would be happy to have him.

Georgia Tech:  Another school that is likely to move on from their coach.  A school in the ACC, but one that may have greater ambitions than Wojo.

Boston College:  That is if they decide to part ways with Christian.  Wojo has recruited the east well and the Jesuit background can't hurt right?

Worth Mentioning

NC State:  Likley don't move on from Keats despite the negative trajectory.  Checks a lot of boxes however.

Miami: Jim Larranaga might be forced out after this year.  I can't see Wojo going there, but....

South Carolina:  I can see Frank Martin jumping ship to take the Miami job, leaving this one open for Wojo.

Probably Not

Minnesota:  They may move on from little Ricky, but highly doubtful they would look at Wojo.

Oklahoma State:  Probably more interested in a guy who is from that part of the country.

Penn State: Chambers is saving his job there.

South Florida:  Brian Gregory might be out after this year.  AAC school with some profile.

Give me a break.  No AD is looking at turning to Wojo, much less from a power conference. Their fan bases would revolt at his incredibly thin resume.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 07:51:26 AM »
I think you wasted 20 minutes as he’s not going to leave after the season.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 07:52:02 AM »
Gannon College needs a coach to drive the team van, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 07:52:42 AM »
Good list.  All of the jobs in the “Worth Mentioning” category seem too big for Wojo.  I could absolutely see Wake Forest or Boston College, though.  Those gigs would buy him another 4-5 years at the high major level, at least.

If he leaves I’m guessing our recruits do as well, but if he goes to Wake or BC, there’s probably about a 1% chance that they follow him.  So at least we won’t have to watch that unfold.

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 07:55:47 AM »

It's a lazy Sunday morning.  Nothing really better to do.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 07:57:09 AM »

I wouldn’t be so sure, though it’ll probably take at least one NCAA win to make it happen.  Did you see him after the Seton Hall game?  The guy was practically in the locker room before the final buzzer sounded.  He might not be the brightest guy in the world, but he’s been around the game a long time and has K as a mentor.  I don’t think this job is working out nearly as well as either of them thought it would.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 07:58:30 AM »
Frankly, once da dude leaves MU, eye don't give know chit wear he lands orr watt he does, hey?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 08:09:06 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 08:00:21 AM »
There are 15 conference games, a conference tournament, and a post season yet to be played this season.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 08:05:14 AM »
There are 15 conference games, a conference tournament, and a post season yet to be played this season.

So we can't have speculative discussions on a message board?

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 08:18:07 AM »
You can forget the post season part

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 08:28:47 AM »
Do you think he is too stubborn to listen to his bench? Some of his assistants have to recognize his flaws .

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 08:33:56 AM »
So we can't have speculative discussions on a message board?

And I just gave my two cents.

In the spirit of helping, Frank Martin pretty much begged, pleaded, campaigned, had media friends stomp for him for the Miami position while he was at K-St. (Where he desperately wanted to leave), and Miami still had no interest in hiring him last time around. He then wound up at South Carolina. (There has since been some decision maker changes at The U.)

muguru

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 08:36:24 AM »
Would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Wojo make comments like this sometime after a game. I would gain so much more respect from him, because it's being honest rather than "we didn't execute the game plan well enough". These were some quotes from Roy Williams after yesterday's game vs Clemson...

"We've had some great moments as a coach, and right now I'd say this is my lowest one because losing this game was my fault," Williams said. "Told them if I die tomorrow or 20 years from now, that'll be the biggest regret I had in 32 years as a coach. Cause these kids really need a win. And their coach let them down today."

Williams didn't stop there, either.

"Gotta tell Bubba he should probably fire me, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea," Williams said, folding up a stat sheet to put in his jacket pocket. "The coach is supposed to help his kids. I didn't help them very much.''

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 08:39:39 AM »
Yeah, and the way things are looking now, that could further vaporize his thin resume.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 08:47:24 AM »
Give me a break.  No AD is looking at turning to Wojo, much less from a power conference. Their fan bases would revolt at his incredibly thin resume.

This is correct. 

I appreciate Fluffy BM's attempt at career planning to help our coach depart, but .. zero of those teams would hire a guy coming off a 7-11 BE season, which Bartovik now predicts. 

Wojo's top bullet point on his resume is "If you want a clean program and get your program to complete for NIT bids, I AM YOUR GUY."

#sadtrombone

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 09:22:44 AM »
UMBC retrievers could be in the market for a new coach

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 09:26:22 AM »
Do you think he is too stubborn to listen to his bench? Some of his assistants have to recognize his flaws .

This team is struggling. It is not all coaching. The contributions coming from the bench have been pathetic. Might be the worst offensive bench production in the BE.
Hard to believe we have 3 bigs that struggle to make a basket.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 09:33:49 AM »
I really can’t imagine a high major being interested in Wojo
No Finish Line

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 09:34:24 AM »
UMBC retrievers could be in the market for a new coach
I seriously think his next job will be at a program like UMBC. I sadly believe he will have to take a step down from the P6.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 09:34:59 AM »
All those programs, with the exception of South Carolina, haven't even hit the levels we're not satisfied with here. If Wojo delivered a NCAA bid they'd be doing cartwheels.

I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 09:41:14 AM »
All those programs, with the exception of South Carolina, haven't even hit the levels we're not satisfied with here. If Wojo delivered a NCAA bid they'd be doing cartwheels.

I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.
NC State hasn't seen success like MU?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2020, 09:47:54 AM »
Monumentally dumb
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »
This is correct. 

I appreciate Fluffy BM's attempt at career planning to help our coach depart, but .. zero of those teams would hire a guy coming off a 7-11 BE season, which Bartovik now predicts. 

Wojo's top bullet point on his resume is "If you want a clean program and get your program to complete for NIT bids, I AM YOUR GUY."

#sadtrombone

Mike Deane 2.0, albeit without the drinking and colorful personality.

I think he listens to an extent, but then in the heat of the battle he becomes too emotionally reactive.  I think he'd be a tough coach to play for if you aren't one of his few favorites. Would be interesting to get Travis Diener's thoughts off the record.