[Today at 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Where Could Wojo Go?" Watch - January 12  (Read 9717 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: "Where Could Wojo Go?" Watch - January 12
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2020, 04:05:32 PM »
Wojo is already set for life.  His wife is a doctor, Wojo has made a ton of money already...that isn't really at issue here.  So many people cannot wait to start the process over again and repeat the same process over and over and over again.

I think she’s a Nurse Practitioner.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2020, 04:07:16 PM »

Dude one can dream...

I get it, I'm very frustrated right now. I feel like Wojo can coach, but only one way. Last year when we had everything clicking, we looked great. Deservedly top-10 in the country. But then Markus got hurt and there was no alternative. This year, the Hausers leave, we lose that perimeter mismatch, no one has been able to consistently fill that void. When Wojo has exactly what he wants, the results are great. But when things don't go well, it falls apart.

I just don't think he's close to going anywhere. I don't think Marquette would fire him almost no matter what (barring something offcourt) and I don't think anyone will come seeking him out unless we have a great finish this year, in which case, many won't want to lose him anyway.

My main hope is that Wojo should again have the kind of roster he wants next year assuming this class comes together (what we have + Mane). If he can complete that class and within 2 years get back to where we were a year ago, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2020, 04:14:11 PM »
Wojo is already set for life.  His wife is a doctor, Wojo has made a ton of money already...that isn't really at issue here.  So many people cannot wait to start the process over again and repeat the same process over and over and over again.
You don't sound like a Marquette fan. IMO.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2020, 04:17:56 PM »
You don't sound like a Marquette fan. IMO.

LOL.  Ok.  Please tell me why that is the case.  Because I want to win, because I travel from California to Wisconsin at least once if not twice a year to attend MU games, because I almost never miss a game on TV, etc...what was the tip for you?   ::)
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2020, 04:19:20 PM »
  "So with 20 minutes on a laptop and a full pot of coffee, this is what I came up with."

you take the coffee pot into the chitter with ya or do you have the old lady checkin in?
don't...don't don't don't don't

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »
No sh*t sherlock..my whole point was Wojo being dead honest and blaming himself rather then his standard "I have to do a better job teaching them" line that he has used. Be honest, say "I f*ucked up..I should have fouled against Providence up 3". Or in other instances.. "our defense wasn't effective in man, so I should have tried a zone, or given the guys something else to work with". He doesn't have to say the fire me part..obviously he isn't going to say that. But just be honest about your true Coaching abilities and let ppl know when you truly F up instead of always saying "we didn't follow the game plan".

And if he didn't honestly believe that Marquette should have fouled before the three in the PC game ? Should he say it anyway?  And how is him saying he needs to do a better job teaching them not taking responsibility? If he's trying to drill the concepts of man to man into the players heads, maybe not going to zone is a calculated decision. I'm not even saying I personally would mind him employing a zone, in fact I've called for it myself, but I'm not the coach. Probably a good thing too. I've called for sitting Markus at points  during a game and then he hits multiple 3's  and ends up scoring 40.

panda

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2020, 04:32:18 PM »

Correct. She’s not a doctor.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2020, 04:34:21 PM »

My apologies.  Thank you for the correction.  I’m guessing they are doing just fine.  Duke assistants paid very well, paid well by MU for 6 years.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2020, 04:35:09 PM »
I get it, I'm very frustrated right now. I feel like Wojo can coach, but only one way. Last year when we had everything clicking, we looked great. Deservedly top-10 in the country. But then Markus got hurt and there was no alternative. This year, the Hausers leave, we lose that perimeter mismatch, no one has been able to consistently fill that void. When Wojo has exactly what he wants, the results are great. But when things don't go well, it falls apart.

I just don't think he's close to going anywhere. I don't think Marquette would fire him almost no matter what (barring something offcourt) and I don't think anyone will come seeking him out unless we have a great finish this year, in which case, many won't want to lose him anyway.

My main hope is that Wojo should again have the kind of roster he wants next year assuming this class comes together (what we have + Mane). If he can complete that class and within 2 years get back to where we were a year ago, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Last year was an illusionary Top 10 team. We beat a short handed K-State, won a grinder against Wisconsin with Joey Hauser coming up big, and then Buffalo when Markus went God-mode.

Big East was awful last year. Our great Big East start was largely a function of playing teams ranked 60-100 by KenPom.

Sure, last year was arguably our best year under Wojo, but we weren’t a Top 10 caliber team by any stretch of the imagination.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2020, 04:49:00 PM »

I believe they were a top 10 team last year and that's part of my apprehension with Wojo, he pissed that away by letting the chemistry of the team go bad. Howard injury is an excuse and not a good one. That team imploded down the stretch last year thats on the coach.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2020, 04:56:25 PM »
Last year was an illusionary Top 10 team. We beat a short handed K-State, won a grinder against Wisconsin with Joey Hauser coming up big, and then Buffalo when Markus went God-mode.

Big East was awful last year. Our great Big East start was largely a function of playing teams ranked 60-100 by KenPom.

Sure, last year was arguably our best year under Wojo, but we weren’t a Top 10 caliber team by any stretch of the imagination.

Ahh, so wins over top teams last year were an illusion...should they even count Houston?  The Nova and Seton Hall wins...do they count?  Was Markus on the team last year...or do his great performances not count, but his bad performances do...so confusing. 

Big East was awful last year?  Nope.  Not as good as this year, but not awful.  Ranked 5th best conference.

Keep trying to spin.   I’m in Houston at the end of February, we getting together?

panda

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2020, 05:00:10 PM »
Ahh, so wins over top teams last year were an illusion...should they even count Houston?  The Nova and Seton Hall wins...do they count?  Was Markus on the team last year...or do his great performances not count, but his bad performances do...so confusing. 

Big East was awful last year?  Nope.  Not as good as this year, but not awful.  Ranked 5th best conference.

Keep trying to spin.   I’m in Houston at the end of February, we getting together?

Is 5th best conference good?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2020, 05:00:59 PM »
Big East sent 9/10 to the NCAA/NIT tournament. I wouldn't say that is "awful"
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2020, 05:12:35 PM »
Is 5th best conference good?

Yes, good, not great.  Far from AWFUL...the nonsense Ners is spewing.  This year the 5th conference is SEC...some very good teams and some mediocre teams...that’s usually how it plays out.  But Ners wanting to pretend last year’s progression doesn’t mean anything describes it as awful...and as usual he is wrong.

panda

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2020, 05:15:34 PM »
Yes, good, not great.  Far from AWFUL...the nonsense Ners is spewing.  This year the 5th conference is SEC...some very good teams and some mediocre teams...that’s usually how it plays out.  But Ners wanting to pretend last year’s progression doesn’t mean anything describes it as awful...and as usual he is wrong.

Conference was down last year compared to other years. No question about that.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2020, 05:19:11 PM »
Conference was down last year compared to other years. No question about that.

Yes, but that is different than being awful.  That’s the point.

panda

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2020, 05:21:12 PM »

How about one of the worst of the best conferences. Your logic skills are on par with a 5 year old.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2020, 05:27:22 PM »
How about one of the worst of the best conferences. Your logic skills are on par with a 5 year old.

How about words have meaning rather than trying to twit it into something it isn’t.  The Big East wasn’t awful last year, rated 5th best.  Sorry it doesn’t fit your agenda or Ners.  Too bad.

panda

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2020, 05:33:04 PM »
How about words have meaning rather than trying to twit it into something it isn’t.  The Big East wasn’t awful last year, rated 5th best.  Sorry it doesn’t fit your agenda or Ners.  Too bad.

I know it’s difficult for you, but use your brain.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2020, 05:46:26 PM »

Highest ranked KenPom Big East team last?  Nova at 30. Next? MU 33. Rest were all Sub 50. If being ranked 5th out 6th of the Power 6 conferences isn’t awful, we just disagree in semantics.

Can’t recall if any Big East teams won an NCAA game last year?

connie

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2020, 05:54:11 PM »
Wojo no go.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2020, 06:15:36 PM »
I appreciate the GIFs.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2020, 06:18:00 PM »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2020, 06:23:49 PM »
LOL.  Ok.  Please tell me why that is the case.  Because I want to win, because I travel from California to Wisconsin at least once if not twice a year to attend MU games, because I almost never miss a game on TV, etc...what was the tip for you?   ::)
You seem very content with the status quo and happy for Wojo's family financial success. MU= not so good; Wojo = Very Rich. Seems like a perfect storm for a Badger fan.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2020, 06:24:56 PM »
Highest ranked KenPom Big East team last?  Nova at 30. Next? MU 33. Rest were all Sub 50. If being ranked 5th out 6th of the Power 6 conferences isn’t awful, we just disagree in semantics.

Can’t recall if any Big East teams won an NCAA game last year?

Not semantics, just your agenda to try to dismiss an accomplishment...we meeting in Houston or not?  Why you ducking the question?

Yes, Nova won a game last year.  9 of 10 teams went to the post season, I believe 5 went to the NCAA.

What’s interesting is you dismiss all of our lucky wins...against #20 Kansas State, #23 Louisville, #22 BUFFALO, #16 Wisconsin, #30 Nova, etc etc.  LOL

feedback