Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?  (Read 53616 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2020, 02:01:38 PM »
We all know what you want Cheeks. You’re not fooling anyone.

Yes, I want to know why he thought that was necessary.  It wasn’t...you can defend it all you want, you are not fooling anyone. Race is a constant thing with some of you guys.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2020, 02:15:05 PM »

What does race have to do with it?

When it comes to Duke? A ton. I'm talking about the perception of why Stevens is a fit, and if you think him being a clean cut, boyish looking white guy isn't a big part, maybe the biggest part of that, you're delusional. People still view Duke through the 1990s lens when Laettner & Hurley were the faces of the program. It's not true, but the perception has never changed.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2020, 02:19:22 PM »
Yes, I want to know why he thought that was necessary.  It wasn’t...you can defend it all you want, you are not fooling anyone. Race is a constant thing with some of you guys.

Better than being ignorant about it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2020, 02:27:01 PM »
When it comes to Duke? A ton. I'm talking about the perception of why Stevens is a fit, and if you think him being a clean cut, boyish looking white guy isn't a big part, maybe the biggest part of that, you're delusional. People still view Duke through the 1990s lens when Laettner & Hurley were the faces of the program. It's not true, but the perception has never changed.

Agreed, racism sucks but it's reality. As is sexism, ageism, and discrimination based on religious and sexual preference.

It still affects decision making now, and I imagine it will in the future. Acknowledging that fact is the best way to continue addressing these issues.

Saying problem solved!, is actually counterproductive.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »

To say nothing of the fact that Brad Stevens is one of the great, young minds in basketball today, black or white.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2020, 02:39:38 PM »

To say nothing of the fact that Brad Stevens is one of the great, young minds in basketball today, black or white.

Which is true. But why Duke?  He’s already coaching in the NBA, has no connection to the school, and didn’t win at Butler the way K wins now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2020, 02:44:17 PM »

Which is true. But why Duke?  He’s already coaching in the NBA, has no connection to the school, and didn’t win at Butler the way K wins now.

Correct, there are zero rational thinking people who would honestly think Brad Stevens would take a step back from the Celtics to coach any collegiate program again.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2020, 02:59:49 PM »

He is. But when people talk about Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas, and other blue bloods, Stevens' name never comes up. It's not a coincidence that he is constantly tied with the Duke job despite his only connection to Duke being a Gordon Hayward missed prayer.

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2020, 03:04:00 PM »
He is. But when people talk about Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas, and other blue bloods, Stevens' name never comes up. It's not a coincidence that he is constantly tied with the Duke job despite his only connection to Duke being a Gordon Hayward missed prayer.

He did turn UCLA down in 2013, but yeah.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2020, 03:04:53 PM »
I think the thought of him coaching Duke more likely follows the logic that Duke is the only iconic program Stevens would even consider leaving Boston for. I firmly believe race has nothing to do with this.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2020, 03:08:47 PM »
I think the thought of him coaching Duke more likely follows the logic that Duke is the only iconic program Stevens would even consider leaving Boston for. I firmly believe race has nothing to do with this.

I think Brew has it right that it harkens back to Duke of 20 years ago. And race is part of that.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2020, 03:11:01 PM »

Exactly.  His acumen at basketball coaching is why Duke would hire him, his race has nothing to do with it.  Ridiculous it was even brought up and double-downed.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Duke wants to win college basketball games, they will try to hire the best coach regardless of any nonsense being thrown around here about race, creed, ethnicity or anything else.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2020, 03:18:02 PM »
Exactly.  His acumen at basketball coaching is why Duke would hire him, his race has nothing to do with it.  Ridiculous it was even brought up and double-downed.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Duke wants to win college basketball games, they will try to hire the best coach regardless of any nonsense being thrown around here about race, creed, ethnicity or anything else.

Learn to read bud.  No one said that Duke would hire him because he is white.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2020, 04:07:12 PM »
Learn to read bud.  No one said that Duke would hire him because he is white.

I believe he was saying that Stevens would appeal to the sensibilities of some members of the Duke faithful. And he's probably right.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2020, 04:08:43 PM »

Amen Doc.  Exactly.  Well said.  And if he said no, well then it gets interesting, especially if Coach K has a strong hand in the selection.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2020, 04:10:08 PM »
I think Brew has it right that it harkens back to Duke of 20 years ago. And race is part of that.

Oh 20 years ago....so that's the deal....we're bringing stuff up from 20 years ago to make some kind of SJW point.  Sigh.  As stated, some people just cannot help themselves and have to interject it wherever they can.  Guilt or something.

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2020, 04:12:00 PM »
Oh 20 years ago....so that's the deal....we're bringing stuff up from 20 years ago to make some kind of SJW point.  Sigh.  As stated, some people just cannot help themselves and have to interject it wherever they can.  Guilt or something.

What?  Seriously can’t you comprehend English?

• All American
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2020, 04:12:39 PM »
I believe he was saying that Stevens would appeal to the sensibilities of some members of the Duke faithful. And he's probably right.

Not even that. Just that these rumors persist in some people’s minds because of that.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2020, 04:36:22 PM »
Did MU say no or did Mr. & Mrs. Ellenson?

Both
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2020, 05:45:06 PM »

Also, once Duke started recruiting more one and done guys than UK it wasn’t “ruining college basketball” anymore.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2020, 06:05:41 PM »

Yes, because it's much better to ignore the painfully obvious reality that race is still impacting our society. Let me guess, you're proud to be colorblind too, right?

• All American
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2020, 06:10:11 PM »
Yes, because it's much better to ignore the painfully obvious reality that race is still impacting our society. Let me guess, you're proud to be colorblind too, right?

He has a lot of black friends! 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2020, 08:39:11 AM »
He has a lot of black friends!

I have many friends of many races, but why does it matter?  Is it a contest?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2020, 08:40:10 AM »

So we should inject this into everything on this board now or on,y when you feel a guilt trip?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2020, 08:55:07 AM »
So we should inject this into everything on this board now or on,y when you feel a guilt trip?

I don't feel a guilt trip, I'm just cognizant of the world we live in.

feedback