[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?  (Read 53501 times)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?
« on: January 08, 2020, 10:22:27 PM »
The Texas fanbase is done with Shaka and the MU Fanbase has a sour taste in their mouths with Wojo.  Wouldn't it be ironic if both were let go at the end of the season?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 10:51:45 AM by mu_hilltopper »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 07:22:13 AM »
Wojo will not be let go.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 07:47:40 AM »
Ah, the #donedeal.
When all the misleading haikus in the world couldn’t bring him to MU.
A simpler time.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 09:31:10 AM »
How many topics is MikeDeanesDarkGlasses going to start that say the exact same thing?

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:45:01 AM »
The best cure for avoiding his repeating posts is winning. Lets all hope and pray that Wojo and this team can do that. For the sake of our sanity and reading pleasure.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 10:12:16 AM »
How many topics is MikeDeanesDarkGlasses going to start that say the exact same thing?

I'd wager at least 1 per week

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »
All the letters typed about Wojo being let go are wasted. Until the BOT (currently very satisfied) and specifically Doc (extremely satisfied) turns on Wojo his seat is as cool as possible.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 11:03:29 AM »
MikeDeanesDarkGlasses- One man's obsessed mission/calling in life to remove Wojo. 

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 11:06:04 AM »

I will keep posting until you start learning how to tell the difference between a cubic zirconium and a diamond

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 11:24:11 AM »
most "Texas fans" couldn't identify Shaka since he's not a football coach. But, like what happened with Charlie Strong, once there heard about a certain characteristic Shaka has that determined their opposition to him before he even coached a game.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 11:26:24 AM »
The Texas fanbase is done with Shaka and the MU Fanbase has a sour taste in their mouths with Wojo.  Wouldn't it be ironic if both were let go at the end of the season?

You know what?  I got a question for ya.

Just before Texas hired Shaka they got disgusted with their coach who was then fired.  Where did he end up and how did that turn out?

Special bonus question #1.  What awards did this coach earn at the end of last season?

Special bonus question #2.  Who recruited Kevin Durant to Texas?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:35:58 AM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 12:01:47 PM »

Buffalo Gap

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 01:38:30 PM »
most "Texas fans" couldn't identify Shaka since he's not a football coach. But, like what happened with Charlie Strong, once there heard about a certain characteristic Shaka has that determined their opposition to him before he even coached a game.

Are you seriously suggesting that people objected to Smart's ethnicity?

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 01:41:05 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/28447581/the-2020-college-basketball-hot-seat-revolves-shaka-smart-acc-quartet

Part about marquette: . A year ago at this time, Marquette's Markus Howard had established himself as perhaps the best show in college basketball. It feels as if the buzz has quieted somewhat -- but Howard is arguably better across the board when it comes to scoring. He's averaging more points per game, shooting better from 3-point range and is more efficient offensively than a year ago. Marquette is only one game worse than it was after 15 games last season and is only two spots lower in KenPom's rankings after 15 games.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 01:46:18 PM »
All the letters typed about Wojo being let go are wasted. Until the BOT (currently very satisfied) and specifically Doc (extremely satisfied) turns on Wojo his seat is as cool as possible.

How do you know this for sure?

Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

Buffalo Gap

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 01:47:24 PM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 02:11:50 PM »
It absolutely blows me away that Doc Rivers is somehow the Godfather of Marquette basketball.  Besides showing up at home games centered around his NBA duties, what has he done?

It seems like he has done close to zero with his pulpit, you rarely here him interject MU into conversation
It seems like he has done close to zero with his pocket book, I bet if he donated ANYTHING of note MU would broadcast it
It seems like he has done close to zero with his persona, has he ever popped up at a road game, tweeted agony have a loss, shown up at a presser in MU gear, etc
It seems like he has done close to zero with his parenting, his kids went to Georgetown and Duke, I don't expect him to push them to MU, but did he even encourage?

Now, don't get me wrong, Doc doesn't owe us any of this but if he's our "decider" then I would like to see some public support.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2020, 02:19:55 PM »
Are you seriously suggesting that people objected to Smart's ethnicity?

yes, just like they did with Charlie Strong before Strong had ever coached a game.

https://www.texasobserver.org/ut-football-charlie-strong-segregation/
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2020, 02:20:42 PM »
It absolutely blows me away that Doc Rivers is somehow the Godfather of Marquette basketball.  Besides showing up at home games centered around his NBA duties, what has he done?

It seems like he has done close to zero with his pulpit, you rarely here him interject MU into conversation
It seems like he has done close to zero with his pocket book, I bet if he donated ANYTHING of note MU would broadcast it
It seems like he has done close to zero with his persona, has he ever popped up at a road game, tweeted agony have a loss, shown up at a presser in MU gear, etc
It seems like he has done close to zero with his parenting, his kids went to Georgetown and Duke, I don't expect him to push them to MU, but did he even encourage?

Now, don't get me wrong, Doc doesn't owe us any of this but if he's our "decider" then I would like to see some public support.

He was on the Board of Trustees (he termed out last year), and was extremely active in the coaching search that resulted in hiring Wojo, including flying around the country during basketball season to be involved.  (I believe he was in Shaka's living room.)

And he was at the Jacksonville game, and spoke to the team beforehand. 

He's been pretty supportive.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2020, 02:23:07 PM »

Let's hope the next coaching decision is made by the professionals in Athletics Department versus a committee. MU was a mess last time.  MU's history with committee hires is not very good.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2020, 02:30:29 PM »
We can play the what-if game all we want, but...

Let's say that Shaka gets hired at MU in April, 2014.  It's possible he gets to flip a number (if not all) of his (then) VCU commits - Terry Larrier, Michael Gilmore, Justin Tillman and/or Jonathan Williams - to come along as well.  Maybe Cohen stays, maybe he doesn't.  Very unlikely that Carlino comes along, and probably even more unlikely that the Ellensons come along as well.  Due to youth, but full recruiting class, we probably don't make the tournament, but are very likely to be better than the 13-19 final record we had that year (14-15).

Anyways, Billy Donovan takes the OKC job in April, 2015 (Shaka had taken the Texas job in March, 2015).  Shaka had ties to Florida under Donovan, and it is very possible that Florida wants Shaka to replace Donovan after a solid, but unspectacular, start at MU.  Let's say Florida gets Shaka.  Marquette, then, would have had three head coaches in prior seven seasons (Crean, Buzz, Shaka). 

Who was high in the coaching cycle in 2015?  Avery Johnson, Bobby Hurley, Steve Prohm, Nate Oats, Will Wade, Ben Howland and Rick Barnes were the bigger (now) names at that point.  In addition, Brian Wardle gets hired at Bradley.  It's very likely that Howland (again) gets another serious look, as well as Wardle (who, as an alum, would be very unlikely to immediately bolt for a bigger job). 

Who knows, but always interesting to wonder what would have happened if a couple of events went the other way...

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2020, 02:30:44 PM »

He's one of the main reasons I recently joined the board and started some counter threads. I apologize for any pollution I've caused on the board but some of his crap really needs to be challenged.