'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?  (Read 53676 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2020, 12:18:42 AM »
Don’t waste your time debating with Chico’s and his 5 accounts here. Exercise in insanity.

Wojo recognized the above as you posted, and that the inherited roster had 7, Top 100 recruits. Wonder why he finally chose to leave Duke?  Because both he and K knew this was a really good program/job. End of story.

Only one, but good try Ners.  The mods can prove this in one second if they wished.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2020, 12:51:29 AM »
Never forget that MU ran Buzz off when he started losing (technically going .500 in conf) not when he appeared on front page of Chicago Tribune or other headlines. 

But yes that 2014 season was an incredible low. 

Until 2015
And 2016
And really 2017
And definitely 2018
And actually 2019, too
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2020, 02:44:26 AM »
Never forget that MU ran Buzz off when he started losing (technically going .500 in conf) not when he appeared on front page of Chicago Tribune or other headlines. 

Until 2015
And 2016
And really 2017
And definitely 2018
And actually 2019, too

Buzz ran himself off. I loved the Buzz era but that dude was toxic and his last two years he was looking for every way out and it was reflected in his recruiting.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2020, 07:47:58 AM »
Buzz ran himself off. I loved the Buzz era but that dude was toxic and his last two years he was looking for every way out and it was reflected in his recruiting.

Yeah, you’re right.  I was really worried about what Deonte, Duane & JJJ as juniors + freshman Diamond Stone was gonna look like.  Plus sophomores Ahmed Hill & Shayok.  All that winning in March ( and April) would have been annoying.  You’re right, he had zero plan. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2020, 07:51:42 AM »

I thought his recruiting was fine.  The class of Shayok, Hill and Cohen was considered a pretty good one if I recall. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2020, 08:11:46 AM »
Sew Chris Farley could have bin a suitable choice two, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2020, 08:15:30 AM »

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2020, 09:34:14 AM »
Ah yes...fond memories of the phony downhome lonesome Cowboy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2020, 09:48:27 AM »
The Lens

Spot on with your posts. I would have loved seeing that group play at MU under Buzz as well.  Also, agree on a half decade plus of disappointing seasons and not a lot of promise for the short term. Wojo has recruited a couple of game changers and still no March success. That is biggest reason why I am not overly optimistic about the incoming recruiting class. On paper it is a very nice class, but not a game changer.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2020, 10:05:49 AM »

I thought his recruiting was fine.  The class of Shayok, Hill and Cohen was considered a pretty good one if I recall.

Don't forget his success w JUCOs and transfers -- always an option for a Buzz recruiting class.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2020, 10:10:26 AM »
Pretty sure JJJ was going to leave had buzz stayed, and there's no proof we were gonna get stone. Plus Taylorand others were also going to leave. Also Cohen never panned out.

That dream team everybody wants is just a fantasy no different than saying imagine if the Hausers were here this year or if Henry was on last years team.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »

Until 2015
And 2016
And really 2017
And definitely 2018
And actually 2019, too

So your contention is that the NCAA tournament teams of 2017 and 2019 were more "incredible lows" than Buzz's 2014 team? OK then.

I say this as a Buzz fan who was very disappointed when he left.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »
So your contention is that the NCAA tournament teams of 2017 and 2019 were more "incredible lows" than Buzz's 2014 team? OK then.

I say this as a Buzz fan who was very disappointed when he left.

When making the NCAAs is considered the peak, I do think it’s disappointing.

We’ve gone from 3 straight S16s to hoping to make the dance and little optimism to make noise.  The new normal is a low to me.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2020, 11:24:18 AM »
He looks very clean cut, he's white, and he wins. I really think it's just that he has the look and resume most associate with Duke, regardless of recruiting or coaching methods.

What does race have to do with it?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »

"I’ll stand up and be the first to admit being an epic hypocrite on this over the years.  100%.  OWNING IT! The worst at times.  It really should stop.  Most of all, can we please stop with the racism charges and come together?" --Jams
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2020, 11:43:41 AM »
Pretty sure JJJ was going to leave had buzz stayed, and there's no proof we were gonna get stone. Plus Taylorand others were also going to leave. Also Cohen never panned out.

That dream team everybody wants is just a fantasy no different than saying imagine if the Hausers were here this year or if Henry was on last years team.

We were not getting Stone.  Cohen was a midmajor just like Taylor.  That was one of the most over hyped recruiting team in MU history.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2020, 11:49:43 AM »
We were not getting Stone.  Cohen was a midmajor just like Taylor.  That was one of the most over hyped recruiting team in MU history.

No argument here. Ners' obsession with the HS rankings is ridiculous.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2020, 11:57:28 AM »
No argument here. Ners' obsession with the HS rankings is ridiculous.

And yet those of you in the Pro-Jo camp are salivating over next year's class, and citing that as a primary reason to keep Wojo.  You realize next year's class at present is rated lower than Buzz's class with JJJ, Deonte, Duane, Dawson..and Luke Fischer was a Top 50 kid not factored into that class rating.  (You know, that "empty cupboard.")

Sadly, all of those kids played under a first-year coach who really struggled.  Even talented players can't overcome poor coaching.

Call me crazy but I'd rather continue to get Top 10 rated classes filled with Top 100/50 recruits.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2020, 12:22:39 PM »
Yeah, you’re right.  I was really worried about what Deonte, Duane & JJJ as juniors + freshman Diamond Stone was gonna look like.  Plus sophomores Ahmed Hill & Shayok.  All that winning in March ( and April) would have been  annoying.  You’re right, he had zero plan.

I’d Buzz stayed JJJ was gowne. Diamond Stone was NEVER going to come to MU and that was MUs choice (True story, Stones people reached out to Wojo to see if MU was still interested and MU said no)

I have no doubt that Buzz could have pulled something together but we’ll never know because he ran away
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »
And yet those of you in the Pro-Jo camp are salivating over next year's class, and citing that as a primary reason to keep Wojo.  You realize next year's class at present is rated lower than Buzz's class with JJJ, Deonte, Duane, Dawson..and Luke Fischer was a Top 50 kid not factored into that class rating.  (You know, that "empty cupboard.")

Sadly, all of those kids played under a first-year coach who really struggled.  Even talented players can't overcome poor coaching.

Call me crazy but I'd rather continue to get Top 10 rated classes filled with Top 100/50 recruits.

First, that class was torn apart when Jameel never played, Duane got injured. Then torn apart further when Burton transferred as did Dawson and Luke was riddled with shoulder injuries, not to mention was a traditional center at a time spreading the floor was getting traction (see our current issue).

I never hear you going on about Buzz's lack of ability to develop Erik Williams, letting Maymon leave, Cadougan being average, Jamail Jones not developing then leaving, Taylor not developing, Anderson not developing, that highly touted class not winning Buzz's last year. All top 100s you'd have an excuse for. But when it's wojos top 100s that he didn't even bring in you throw the axe.

That being said I do agree with what you say regarding it's better to bring in more than not because the more there are the more likely you are to find a Vander, Jamil, Henry, Sam and Markus. (Brendan tbd).

Also I'm not "Pro-jo" I'm just rooting for MU whether thats Wojo or the next guy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 01:43:11 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2020, 12:52:36 PM »
I’d Buzz stayed JJJ was gowne. Diamond Stone was NEVER going to come to MU and that was MUs choice (True story, Stones people reached out to Wojo to see if MU was still interested and MU said no)

I have no doubt that Buzz could have pulled something together but we’ll never know because he ran away

Did MU say no or did Mr. & Mrs. Ellenson? 

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2020, 12:57:05 PM »

They can't be over ranked until they fail.

Unfortunately, due to injuries, personal issues, departure, and in JJJs case, slow development, that class did end up being overrated.

The fact that all the guys signed for next year are bigs with offensive skills is reason for optimism. It would be risky to change coaches at this point and that's not even accounting for possibly signing Mane.

Are you suggesting that because  a highly ranked recruiting class failed in the past, this highly ranked recruiting class with a yet to be determined level of success, shouldn't be considered when evaluating Wojos total resume?

Really?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 01:00:29 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2020, 01:29:20 PM »

We all know what you want Cheeks. You’re not fooling anyone.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2020, 01:34:00 PM »
Yeah, you’re right.  I was really worried about what Deonte, Duane & JJJ as juniors + freshman Diamond Stone was gonna look like.  Plus sophomores Ahmed Hill & Shayok.  All that winning in March ( and April) would have been annoying.  You’re right, he had zero plan.

Diamond Stone was never going to come to Marquette, no matter who the coach was. No chance.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2020, 01:58:05 PM »
Diamond Stone was never going to come to Marquette, no matter who the coach was. No chance.

Yup, but memories here are clouded in some parallel utopian universe of wishing vs reality.