'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bracketology 2019-2020  (Read 128734 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Bracketology 2019-2020
« Reply #500 on: March 08, 2020, 08:31:49 PM »
NBC Sports Bracket has MU as last 4 in, 10 seed.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #501 on: March 08, 2020, 08:33:34 PM »
http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

Haslametrics has MU as a 10 seed

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #502 on: March 08, 2020, 08:40:01 PM »
But but but this team has to get its shi t together real quick if they wanna do anything in the tournament besides get embarrassed. How can anyone be that confident. What even needs to happen. Baily needs to come back from oblivion. Sacar has bring somthing as does kobe. Those 3 dont show and the seasons over before you can even say tournmanet win

Who here is confident about their recent performance or has said anything in relation to that?  This team isn't good right now.  But their resume is plenty to good to get into the tournament, despite the "fans" that are seemingly hoping they miss. 

I think you're misunderstanding some people's confidence in MU making the tournament as them actually defending how they're playing currently.  I sure as crap am not.  But I am pretty confident that a 10 seed is their floor with a loss to Hall on Thursday. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #503 on: March 08, 2020, 08:45:45 PM »
NBC Sports Bracket has MU as last 4 in, 10 seed.

False.  NBC has them as the 7th to last team in. 

Ahead of Florida, UCLA, Xavier, Stanford, Texas Tech, NC State, TExas, Cinci, Richmond, Wichita State, Memphis, Mississipi State, UNI and SLU.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/03/08/ncaa-tournament-bracketology-projection-bubble-ucla/

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #504 on: March 08, 2020, 08:55:06 PM »
Who here is confident about their recent performance or has said anything in relation to that?  This team isn't good right now.  But their resume is plenty to good to get into the tournament, despite the "fans" that are seemingly hoping they miss. 

I think you're misunderstanding some people's confidence in MU making the tournament as them actually defending how they're playing currently.  I sure as crap am not.  But I am pretty confident that a 10 seed is their floor with a loss to Hall on Thursday.
I really believe MU needs a win to change its momentum. The most likely way I see this happening is to end up in the play in game as an 11. I think with a win we would have a decent chance to beat a 6 and if we won that game we would have a decent chance to beat a three.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #505 on: March 08, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »
Exactly what JJJ said. We're not good. The faith I had in Wojo is gone. But we're not missing the tournament barring an unprecedented committee decision.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:11:30 PM by BM1090 »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #506 on: March 08, 2020, 08:59:27 PM »

To be fair JJJ and playing devil's advocate..you have been proudly proclaiming they are a stone cold lock...and I gave you a scenario where they would in fact be left out. No question about it they would. Obviously that is a scenario that has almost no chance of happening, but as of this moment it could. Thus, calling them a "stone cold lock" is disingenuous. A stone cold lock is one where no matter what happens there is NO chance, absolutely zero of a team getting left out. Like a Kansas as one example. Now if you want to say something like "barring the most bizzare circumstances" happening they are a lock, or They are a near lock, that's totally fine, but again to call them a "stone cold lock" really isn't factual at this moment. Just trying to be fair..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #507 on: March 08, 2020, 09:03:10 PM »
I really believe MU needs a win to change its momentum. The most likely way I see this happening is to end up in the play in game as an 11. I think with a win we would have a decent chance to beat a 6 and if we won that game we would have a decent chance to beat a three.

I agree MU needs to win a game to change its momentum.  I disagree that MU needs to win in order to get a bid into the NCAA tournament. 

I've looked into this in detail. As have others here that are in the same boat as me.  Please provide the resumes of 36 teams (after accounting for 32 auto bids) with better at large resumes than Marquette.  You can't.  I promise you.  You could list 36 teams like someone else tried to do, but 8-10 of them have clearly inferior overall bodies of work than MU.  List NET, Kenpom, SOS, Q1 record, Q2 record Q1+Q2 record, Q3+Q4 record.  I promise you there aren't 36 teams more worthy than Marquette, even with an additional high end Q1 loss to Hall on the resume. 

They have to fill the field.  I have very little confidence MU will do anything with the bid, but I'll take my chances against a team with 3 days to prepare for Markus without any previous knowledge.   

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #508 on: March 08, 2020, 09:10:15 PM »
To be fair JJJ and playing devil's advocate..you have been proudly proclaiming they are a stone cold lock...and I gave you a scenario where they would in fact be left out. No question about it they would. Obviously that is a scenario that has almost no chance of happening, but as of this moment it could. Thus, calling them a "stone cold lock" is disingenuous. A stone cold lock is one where no matter what happens there is NO chance, absolutely zero of a team getting left out. Like a Kansas as one example. Now if you want to say something like "barring the most bizzare circumstances" happening they are a lock, or They are a near lock, that's totally fine, but again to call them a "stone cold lock" really isn't factual at this moment. Just trying to be fair..

Lol, I don't really care to debate anything with you.  You can come up with whatever worst case scenarios you want man.  That is never going to happen.  Every single conference isn't going to have a bid stealer.  Nothing any of us say is "factual".  Some of us just follow this more than others and can provide those who care analysis with actual backup and knowledge of the situation. Others can just babble about the NIT and how MU is the worst at large team ever without watching any or very little CBB this year other than Marquette.  At the end of the day, none of our opinions matter, but MU is no less 8-10 spots from the cutline right now and should be comfortably in regardless of what happens next week.  Most if not all of the other teams around Marquette are also going to lose again before the tournament field is announced, and most of them to a team worse than Seton Hall.   

muguru

• All American
« Reply #509 on: March 08, 2020, 09:34:06 PM »
Lol, I don't really care to debate anything with you.  You can come up with whatever worst case scenarios you want man.  That is never going to happen.  Every single conference isn't going to have a bid stealer.  Nothing any of us say is "factual".  Some of us just follow this more than others and can provide those who care analysis with actual backup and knowledge of the situation. Others can just babble about the NIT and how MU is the worst at large team ever without watching any or very little CBB this year other than Marquette.  At the end of the day, none of our opinions matter, but MU is no less 8-10 spots from the cutline right now and should be comfortably in regardless of what happens next week.  Most if not all of the other teams around Marquette are also going to lose again before the tournament field is announced, and most of them to a team worse than Seton Hall.   

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, but as you said, none of what any of us say is factual. It only matters what the committee really believes/feels. They're the one's who matter. Now, maybe getting left out with their resume would go against historical precedent, but all it really takes is a few committee members(and let's remember we hear time and time again that each member has different things they value), to not like the slide MU has been on, or for one of them to have a belief or preference that teams have at least a .500 league record. Then if those few can sell the rest of the committee..there you go.

Put another way...IF there was even the slightest questioning about MU among the committee members, well MU certainly hasn't done anything recently to quell those questions. How about they just beat SH and remove any slight doubt people have?? I like that idea best.   8-)

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #510 on: March 08, 2020, 09:39:43 PM »
False.  NBC has them as the 7th to last team in. 

Ahead of Florida, UCLA, Xavier, Stanford, Texas Tech, NC State, TExas, Cinci, Richmond, Wichita State, Memphis, Mississipi State, UNI and SLU.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/03/08/ncaa-tournament-bracketology-projection-bubble-ucla/

Typo, meant last 4 byes. My bad.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #511 on: March 09, 2020, 07:24:55 AM »
9 seed on cbs

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #512 on: March 09, 2020, 08:10:53 AM »
If we lose to SH on Thursday, I think having a superstar in Markus still gets us in one of the play-in games.  We will, as one poster put it, “slime” our way into the tournament.
Is there any evidence at all that the committee has ever put a team in the tournament because of star power?  Do you think having Markus in the play-in game would boost the ratings more than someone like Memphis or Cincinnati?   
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #513 on: March 09, 2020, 08:18:42 AM »
Is there any evidence at all that the committee has ever put a team in the tournament because of star power?  Do you think having Markus in the play-in game would boost the ratings more than someone like Memphis or Cincinnati?   

Yeah I just don't see a bunch of people tuning into TruTV on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, who wouldn't otherwise, just to watch Markus Howard.

Last year they could have easilly put Indiana into the tournament ahead of Belmont if they cared about First Four ratings.  Indiana would have drawn a much larger audience than Markus Howard will.  Especially in Dayton.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #514 on: March 09, 2020, 08:53:25 AM »
There is legitimate path towards MU being knocked out entirely before next Sunday.  According to Bracketville (#1 bracketology) we are one of the last four byes.  Yet another loss to Seton Hall (and sixth straight loss) will surely put us in the last four in.  With just 2-3 bid thieves, we could get knocked off the bubble entirely.

I just don't see how a team that can lose its last six straight games gets into the tournament.  Never recall that happening before.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #515 on: March 09, 2020, 09:06:24 AM »
There is legitimate path towards MU being knocked out entirely before next Sunday.  According to Bracketville (#1 bracketology) we are one of the last four byes.  Yet another loss to Seton Hall (and sixth straight loss) will surely put us in the last four in.  With just 2-3 bid thieves, we could get knocked off the bubble entirely.

I just don't see how a team that can lose its last six straight games gets into the tournament.  Never recall that happening before.

Why, at this point, would another loss to a ranked team knock us down further? I don't expect that would move any of our statistical rankings much

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #516 on: March 09, 2020, 09:29:28 AM »

Well it's a good thing we haven't lost 6 straight then.

A loss on Thursday would make it 7 of 8 and four in a row.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #517 on: March 09, 2020, 09:32:37 AM »
Why, at this point, would another loss to a ranked team knock us down further? I don't expect that would move any of our statistical rankings much

If teams below us (or near us) win a game in their tournament, that would give them a bump too.  Florida will be favorited to win a game against Georgia/Ole Miss.  UCLA will be favorited to win against Stanford/California.  Xavier will be favorited to beat DePaul.  Stanford is favorited against California.  NC State will be favorited against Wake/Pitt.  Texas Tech, the lone underdog, is not favorited against Texas.  That is five teams near us on the bubble that are favorited in their conference tournament games (we will be significant underdog). 

And, all of that is not considering that there could be bid thieves from other conferences.  The AAC, for instance, could have a bid thief from Wichita State/Cincinnati/Memphis/Tulsa/UConn.  The A10 could have a bid thief from Rhode Island/SLU. 

This board better be ready for the strong possibility we get bumped from the bubble on Sunday, due to teams around us all winning, and us continuing our slide.  If we beat SH, then it would solidify our spot.  If we lose, it could be catastrophic. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #518 on: March 09, 2020, 09:43:41 AM »
If teams below us (or near us) win a game in their tournament, that would give them a bump too.  Florida will be favorited to win a game against Georgia/Ole Miss.  UCLA will be favorited to win against Stanford/California.  Xavier will be favorited to beat DePaul.  Stanford is favorited against California.  NC State will be favorited against Wake/Pitt.  Texas Tech, the lone underdog, is not favorited against Texas.  That is five teams near us on the bubble that are favorited in their conference tournament games (we will be significant underdog). 

And, all of that is not considering that there could be bid thieves from other conferences.  The AAC, for instance, could have a bid thief from Wichita State/Cincinnati/Memphis/Tulsa/UConn.  The A10 could have a bid thief from Rhode Island/SLU. 

This board better be ready for the strong possibility we get bumped from the bubble on Sunday, due to teams around us all winning, and us continuing our slide.  If we beat SH, then it would solidify our spot.  If we lose, it could be catastrophic.

Nope, people here like JJJ will tell you MU is a "stone cold lock".  ?-(

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #519 on: March 09, 2020, 09:55:56 AM »

Good thing I went and bought 600 cases of toilet paper as well....I mean all hell is clearly breaking lose

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #520 on: March 09, 2020, 09:59:18 AM »
Something positive: Villanova in 2011 lost 10 of their final 15 games, and their last 5 games. Made it in to the tournament as a #9 (lost to #8 George Mason in first round).

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #521 on: March 09, 2020, 09:59:46 AM »

Again, it's just not happening. 95/95 brackets on the matrix have MU in. Compare that to the teams truly on the bubble. The last 4 teams IN are in between 50-75 brackets.

A loss to SHU will not do much. It's a Q1A loss. Our Q1/Q2 record will not be surpassed. We will continue to have an unblemished Q3/Q4 record and better computer numbers than any of the bubble teams. It's not that we have better metrics than some of the bubble teams, we have better metrics than ALL of them.

The only way they miss is in Guru's doomsday scenario where 10 bids get stolen. If that happens for the first time in NCAA history then so be it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #522 on: March 09, 2020, 10:01:57 AM »

Why?  He has Florida, UCLA, Xavier, Stanford, Texas Tech, NC State, Texas, Cinci, Richmond, Wichita State, Memphis, Mississippi State, UNI and SLU behind Marquette.  Chances are each and every one of them lose before selection Sunday, and chances are, most of them lose to a team worse than Seton Hall. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #523 on: March 09, 2020, 10:06:58 AM »
For everyone who thinks BM, BrewCity and myself are just making this sh*t up - bracketmatrix was updated this am.  These are people who do this for a living - or at the very least - are CBB fanatics that study this stuff daily.  95 brackets updated within the last 24 hours.  All 95 brackets have MU in the tournament.  The lowest of which is a 10 seed - so none of then even have Marquette in the "last four in". 

Marquette is the top 9 seed - 12 at large teams between MU and the NIT.  But please, continue to tell us why Marquette is going to miss the tournament. 

*Disclaimer*: this is not me defending the way the team has played, or me telling you we should be happy in the slightest with where things are. This is me telling you that their resume is still so much better than the teams behind them.  **End Disclaimer**
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:28:57 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #524 on: March 09, 2020, 10:07:28 AM »
Be more humiliating if this insane collapse casued them to miss the ncaa after starting 7 and 4 then making it and getting trounced first. This team just looks done to me. I would expect hall to blow them out of the water than we lose by 10 in dayton
The team that played the second half against St. Johns did not look done to me.  Their play the 2nd half is the only thing giving me any hope at this point.

feedback