[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tomorrow's game is sold out  (Read 31875 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Tomorrow's game is sold out
« on: January 03, 2020, 12:00:07 PM »
Just a FYI.  Key recruits will be there.  Let's hope our fans back the team, coach and staff....all of them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 12:03:18 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: Tomorrow's game is sold out
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 12:03:52 PM »
Just a FYI.  Key recruits will be there.  Let's hope our fans back the team, coach and staff....all of them.

do we know names?

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 12:04:22 PM »

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 12:06:05 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 12:23:36 PM »
ka-REEM mah-NAY (Just so everyone knows how to pronounce it).

https://twitter.com/northpolehoops/status/1208928097132785664?s=21
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 01:00:02 PM »
I dont think fans backing the team will be an issue, as long as the team shows up. At the end of the day fandom is not limited to fanatics who will "ride or die" with a team. Majority of people want to go watch a team win. Its unreasonable to expect fans to follow and support mediocrity. So hopefully the team shows up tomorrow.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 01:13:14 PM »
Only Cheeks would make such a dumb post.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 01:34:33 PM »
Only Cheeks would make such a dumb post.

LOL.  I’ve seen what our fans have done at senior games, at coaches returning to banquets and such....I made the statement for a reason.

Glad the game is sold out, with what I have been reading the last few days I was sure that many people were simply not going to show and let the administration know how pissed they are.  Principles.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 01:44:02 PM »

Dude you are the most fragile guy on the internet. Soft serve vanilla

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 01:54:58 PM »
And once again Scoop’s grand poobah of the High Volume Wojo Guys has started a thread to...trash the fan base, I guess?  Shame people for not fully supporting our head coach after five mediocre seasons and a blowout loss in our first conference game in year 6?  Next up will be a link to another puff piece from “Inside Marquette Basketball” about some charity outing the players were made to go to.  “Glad to see our guys doing such good work in the community.”

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 01:58:38 PM »
Silent

I agree. Cheeks loves to bash the anti Wojo camp. Wojo really has been a bust and it gets harder to argue the longer he is here.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 02:24:48 PM »
Silent

I agree. Cheeks loves to bash the anti Wojo camp. Wojo really has been a bust and it gets harder to argue the longer he is here.

You also have to understand..Cheeks expectations for the program are extremely low. As long as the kids graduate, stay out of trouble and MU makes the tourney once in awhile, he's good with that. For real, he is. And any of us that expect more(and know the program can/should become more), will get told by him that we have unrealistic expectations.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 02:25:43 PM »
Well, if some of the "Anti-Wojo" or player bashers act in real life like they do here, he has a point. OK, now I need a shower.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 02:39:34 PM »
You also have to understand..Cheeks expectations for the program are extremely low. As long as the kids graduate, stay out of trouble and MU makes the tourney once in awhile, he's good with that. For real, he is. And any of us that expect more(and know the program can/should become more), will get told by him that we have unrealistic expectations.

Your Dwyane Wade wish did make me laugh today.  It really did.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

muguru

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 02:44:49 PM »
Your Dwyane Wade wish did make me laugh today.  It really did.

It honestly makes me chuckle to myself, but then I think about the recruiting...and dayyyyyyyyum.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 03:04:19 PM »

You forgot the most important one. *no one leaves early*

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 04:07:17 PM »
How many of us will be there??

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 04:26:57 PM »

I would argue my expectations are higher than most here.  Because I want to win AND have kids graduate AND have kids stay out of trouble.  What I hear people saying passively is that you cannot do that. The only way to win is take high risk kids, etc.   You and others are essentially arguing to LOWER OUR STANDARDS.....I find that as the weasely way out.  Can't get enough students in....lower the standards.  Can't win enough games, let anyone that can ball.  ETc.  That's not low expectations I have....it's the opposite.

So I find your comments to be complete nonsense.  I don't think we would hire a guy from Duke if we had low expectations on winning.  And for years, until the NBA's stupid 1 and done rule, Duke also graduated damn near everyone. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 04:31:32 PM »
  Next up will be a link to another puff piece from “Inside Marquette Basketball” about some charity outing the players were made to go to.  “Glad to see our guys doing such good work in the community.”

Is this really true, it was Mandatory?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 04:39:25 PM »
If Tommy Naismith showed up at the game tomorrow I would boo that bag of manure.  I doubt people will boo the team.  the last time I did it was Detroit on Senior night in 1977.  As a result the team huddled up and won a national championship.  Were you alive then Cheeks? 
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 04:41:49 PM »
Silent

I'm just glad you and others finally admit what camp you are in.   :D   Sorry, I'm not there.  Continue to see the right trajectory and have a long view of the program. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 04:43:53 PM »
If Tommy Naismith showed up at the game tomorrow I would boo that bag of manure.  I doubt people will boo the team.  the last time I did it was Detroit on Senior night in 1977.  As a result the team huddled up and won a national championship.  Were you alive then Cheeks?

Dutchman is back....sort of...LOL.  Yes, I was alive and living back here in the USA after a number of years overseas.  That was more than 40 years ago....a loooooonnnnnnggggggg time ago. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 04:44:35 PM »
I'm just glad you and others finally admit what camp you are in.   :D   Sorry, I'm not there.  Continue to see the right trajectory and have a long view of the program.

So what’s that trajectory?  What’s the long term view?

What is an acceptable spot for us in

Year 7
Year 8
Year 9?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »
Who is the other key recruit who will be there?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 05:16:44 PM »

I would argue my expectations are higher than most here.  Because I want to win AND have kids graduate AND have kids stay out of trouble.  What I hear people saying passively is that you cannot do that. The only way to win is take high risk kids, etc.   You and others are essentially arguing to LOWER OUR STANDARDS.....I find that as the weasely way out.  Can't get enough students in....lower the standards.  Can't win enough games, let anyone that can ball.  ETc.  That's not low expectations I have....it's the opposite.

So I find your comments to be complete nonsense.  I don't think we would hire a guy from Duke if we had low expectations on winning.  And for years, until the NBA's stupid 1 and done rule, Duke also graduated damn near everyone.

Yes, but your definition of "winning" is quite different than most others. You have made that clear. You are perfectly content(and you always point to Wojo's "trajectory" when proving this). You are perfectly satisfied with a good regular season record...like 20 wins. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference to you if they make the tournament or not, have any notable accomplishments, like conference titles etc .You basically don't mind mid major results. You can deny it all you want, but every statement you make about the program points to you being perfectly content with winning regualr seasons. That's it. Whatever they accomplish/don't accomplish after that really doesn't bother you.

As far as the whole "bad kids" thing. Look, all my time and money has been invested in MU's BASKETBALL program, then anything to do with the University itself. So, excuse me for caring about what results are produced ON the floor as opposed to OFF the floor. I would get much more personal gratification watching the team cut down the nets, then anything they do after their careers at Marquette. That's just the facts. If they go on to be major successful in their professional lives after their career at MU is done, that's great, I hope they do. But if they don't, that's not going to bother me either..it is what it is. Once they leave MU, I don't have any idea what most of them are doing with their lives or careers, unless they are in the NBA but even then, I don't follow the NBA so..