[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hypocrisy of MU Basketball  (Read 30871 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Hypocrisy of MU Basketball
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2020, 10:23:39 PM »
When I made that comment, Archie Miller was at the helm.  He's done things at Dayton that Wojo may never replicate at MU.  Miller actually knows how to run and coach a program.

He's doing a helluva job at Indiana.

Another mid-major star who seemingly can't hack it as a big-boy coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2020, 10:36:39 PM »
He's doing a helluva job at Indiana.

Another mid-major star who seemingly can't hack it as a big-boy coach.

Well, if we go by the Wojo rule he gets at least 6 years to prove himself, right?

He's in year 3 right now.  His first recruiting class is turning into upperclassmen this year.  There's a ways to go when evaluating him.  This year and next year are the defining points of his career at Indiana.  He might just turn out like Shaka Smart. 

Nonetheless, in 2014 I asked for Archie Miller's Dayton program to come into the Big East - not Indiana. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2020, 10:38:00 PM »
Well, if we go by the Wojo rule he gets at least 6 years to prove himself, right?

He's in year 3 right now.  His first recruiting class is turning into upperclassmen this year.  There's a ways to go when evaluating him.  This year and next year are the defining points of his career at Indiana.  He might just turn out like Shaka Smart. 

Nonetheless, in 2014 I asked for Archie Miller's Dayton program to come into the Big East - not Indiana.

Glad your wish wasn't granted.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2020, 10:48:51 PM »
Glad your wish wasn't granted.

They are ranked 15th..... and have had more success than MU since 2014.

I mean.... what's another quality opponent in the Big East?  It only benefits us all.  Not sure what your rationale is or if you have any for that matter. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2020, 10:51:47 PM »

I mean.... what's another quality opponent in the Big East?  It only benefits us all.  Not sure what your rationale is or if you have any for that matter.

BEast has been fine without em.

I highly recommend you move to Dayton so you can go to all of their games.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2020, 11:06:35 PM »
You mean the guy who would, unprovoked, lash out and insult all firefighters (real heroes) as a group and lacked the introspection to realise he was being a jerk then lashed out at me when I called him on it rather than taking a look in the mirror?

Yeah... I don't have the highest opinion of him either.

There is no such thing as a universal hero regardless of profession.  Most firefighters are awesome, most cops, most teachers, most soldiers, etc....but not all.  I suspect Keefe was calling some out and used too broad of words. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2020, 11:11:32 PM »
Keefe was a soldier.  What happened to him?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2020, 11:19:33 PM »

Dayton since 2014 (Ken Pom)

MU

I guess you get to pick and choose with your data again, because your statement is false.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2020, 11:48:45 PM »

MU

I guess you get to pick and choose with your data again, because your statement is false.

Is this what Wojo brings into his yearly review? 

Do you have a KenPom tramp stamp by any chance?   Remember in 2017 NCAA Tourney, when South Carolina bent over KenPom when it had them ranked 24th?
You stat boys need to play the game, otherwise your data sets are 2 dimensional at best.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2020, 12:00:36 AM »

Is this what Wojo brings into his yearly review? 

Do you have a KenPom tramp stamp by any chance?   Remember in 2017 NCAA Tourney, when South Carolina bent over KenPom when it had them ranked 24th?
You stat boys need to play the game, otherwise your data sets are 2 dimensional at best.

You made the false comment, I provided the data so you couldn’t claim it was biased.  Just straight data. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2020, 08:00:45 AM »
There is no such thing as a universal hero regardless of profession.  Most firefighters are awesome, most cops, most teachers, most soldiers, etc....but not all.  I suspect Keefe was calling some out and used too broad of words.

Between the four I'll take the firefighters as closest to universal hero.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2020, 08:12:15 AM »
I suspect Keefe was calling some out and used too broad of words.
Nope, not at all. 

His ego couldn't handle the fact that the firefighters on Scoop were getting more respect than he was, despite him constantly touting his self-proclaimed superiority to all mortals, so he clumsily tried to belittle them.  He only succeeded in making himself a bigger ass than he already was.  I suspect he was still feeling burned for getting called out for plagiarizing from a holocaust-denier website and he lashed out.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=profile;u=8299;area=showposts;start=0

"Meanwhile, you took that expensive Jesuit education and got a job as a firefighter. Now, don't get me wrong, as a fighter pilot, I was always comforted by the presence of those brave young men and women who stood at the ready on the flight line in their crash trucks. But I rather doubt that very many actually had college degrees because the job simply doesn't require it.

So, while some of us are making a real difference in clean power generation others have settled for less in life. You say you called me on "plagiarizing"?? I would dare say that some of us have created real value in this world while others sit around waiting for the bell to ring.

<snip>

You and Brew attempt to lay claim to some self-proclaimed expertise on college basketball. Fact is, your lack of professional intensity allows you more time to think about the subject though not really offering any meaningful insight."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 08:14:31 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2020, 08:23:27 AM »
Keefe was a soldier.  What happened to him?

Crashed and burned.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2020, 08:37:57 AM »

MU

Based on the data you provided, that would say Dayton is deserving of a spot in the conference. Outside of one outlier year, they've been a pretty darn good program in recent years. Outside of that one outlier, they've been better than MU if you're looking solely at KenPom numbers (but that's just picking and choosing data). Plus they've had some success in March and won a few conference titles. Sure, it's all in the A-10, but that's a pretty good resume. I think Dayton could be a good addition to the conference.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #164 on: January 07, 2020, 08:42:29 AM »
Based on the data you provided, that would say Dayton is deserving of a spot in the conference. Outside of one outlier year, they've been a pretty darn good program in recent years. Outside of that one outlier, they've been better than MU if you're looking solely at KenPom numbers (but that's just picking and choosing data). Plus they've had some success in March and won a few conference titles. Sure, it's all in the A-10, but that's a pretty good resume. I think Dayton could be a good addition to the conference.

No one is "deserving" of a spot in the BE unless they bring more value than everyone else would lose by cutting an extra slice of the pie.  Dayton doesn't bring that value.  UConn did.  Notre Dame does.  Gonzaga would if they weren't so darn far away. 

I really doubt after the UConn add that the BE expands anytime soon.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #165 on: January 07, 2020, 09:01:12 AM »

No one is "deserving" of a spot in the BE unless they bring more value than everyone else would lose by cutting an extra slice of the pie.  Dayton doesn't bring that value.  UConn did.  Notre Dame does.  Gonzaga would if they weren't so darn far away. 

I really doubt after the UConn add that the BE expands anytime soon.

I'm not all that well versed in the TV contract with FS1, but I would think there are some opportunities out there for expansion that could help grow the overall pie enough to be worthwhile. There are a handful of A10 teams that could get the conference into some new areas, and that could help grow viewership and revenue. And maybe there's a football school or two out there like UConn that would rather prioritize basketball.

I like the conference right now, but I don't think it's a waste of time to look for ways to improve it. 20 years ago, I'm sure plenty of Big East fans would have scoffed at adding schools like Butler, Creighton, DePaul, and even Marquette.

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 07, 2020, 09:08:00 AM »
I'm not all that well versed in the TV contract with FS1, but I would think there are some opportunities out there for expansion that could help grow the overall pie enough to be worthwhile. There are a handful of A10 teams that could get the conference into some new areas, and that could help grow viewership and revenue. And maybe there's a football school or two out there like UConn that would rather prioritize basketball.

I like the conference right now, but I don't think it's a waste of time to look for ways to improve it. 20 years ago, I'm sure plenty of Big East fans would have scoffed at adding schools like Butler, Creighton, DePaul, and even Marquette.

With the addition of UConn and the expansion to a 20 game season, the BE is going from playing 90 to 110 conference games.  Those 20 extra games do bring value.  But, considering that Fox owns part of the B10 contract, does it really want or need the additional 10 games that an addition like Dayton would bring?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2020, 09:38:43 AM »
Remember when that whack-job Dayton fan used to come on here and claim that 1. Dayton would never accept a Big East bid even if it was offered; and 2. The A-10 was better than the Big East?

Fun times.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2020, 09:40:58 AM »
ABD
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

• All American
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2020, 09:47:47 AM »
Remember when that whack-job Dayton fan used to come on here and claim that 1. Dayton would never accept a Big East bid even if it was offered; and 2. The A-10 was better than the Big East?

Fun times.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=34539.msg422884#msg422884

It is hilarious how wrong someone could be in one post.

• All American
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2020, 09:49:45 AM »
And this one...

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=33574.msg408366#msg408366

"I can tell you from the A10's perspective, those institutions are not going anywhere -- namely Xavier, Dayton, St. Louis, Butler, St. Joe, etc.  The league just expanded with Butler and VCU and is the best basketball only league in the country.

There is zero incentive for some of those schools to pick up and leave the complete security, certainty, and future of the A10, for some half-baked new conference in a new world order of college athletics that has exit fees, entrance fees, unknown certainty, unknown security, new rivals, new geographies, new travel partners, no TV package, and no automatic postseason NCAA bid.

The A10 members are exactly where they want to be. They are ALREADY in a good, stable, secure basketball conference with 100% security.  The postseason tourney is moving to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn this season. Everything about the league is on the up-tick. It is a destination league for basketball schools -- not an exit platform. The only schools leaving are those with grandiose, half-baked plans for BCS football."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2020, 09:55:19 AM »

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=34539.msg422884#msg422884

It is hilarious how wrong someone could be in one post.

This or Bamas Smackdown of ners are my favorite posts in scoop history.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2020, 01:03:31 PM »
I have zero problem with reading other opinions here. Just the opposite -- one of the biggest reasons I come to MUScoop is for other perspectives on Marquette basketball. For all the endless and pointless arguments, I've actually learned a lot here.

Whether I agree or disagree with you, MikeDeanesDarkGlasses, I can appreciate you clearly put some thought into your posts. What I primarily object to is the way you state your own opinions as fact. That, along with your pompous, argumentative and overly dramatic tone.

Some examples just from this thread:

After a long hiatus, I've returned. Several years ago I called for the firing of Wojo, critiquing his poor coaching. The moderators tried to shut me down for voicing an opinion supported by facts. Time hath proven me correct.

Was anybody on the board pining for your return? OMG, get over yourself.

Lack of continuity on defense. No system whatsoever.

You repeatedly state this without offering any evidence whatsoever. Wojo has talked about his defensive philosophy in multiple articles, interviews and basketball clinics. If you've attended any of the team's open practices, they spend approximately half the time on defensive drills. The system is right there for everyone to see. He's even released a video on the very subject (Tactics, Techniques and Drills for Man Defense).

By every measure I'm aware of, Marquette's defense has improved over the last two seasons to become one of the best in the Big East. KenPom, for instance, ranked MU #2 in the conference in defensive efficiency for the 2018-19 season.

Unsubstantiated statements like this one simply erode your credibility.

MU moderators wouldn't be the first people in history to shut down genius insight. Had MU taken my advice, the program could be year 3 into a much more viable coach rather than continue to put up with Wojo's incompetence.

There's nothing wrong with thinking you're smart. You probably are pretty smart. It's good to have a healthy sense of self-esteem. But appointing yourself a genius -- and loudly bragging about it -- suggests a deep insecurity about how others perceive you.

It seems most people on here don't know how to recognize a top 25 coach.

Once again, you're right and everybody else is wrong. Hmmm...

The Monotone Whisperer just isn't a good coach all around.

That's the third time in this thread you mention Wojo's "monotone" public speaking style, which you say is "uninspiring." An expressive public speaking style is not a prerequisite for effective leadership or success. Just listen to Coach K, Jim Boeheim, Gregg Popovich, Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, Brad Stevens, et cetera. If that's one of the best critiques you have, again, you're undermining your own argument.

Your best point is that Wojo hasn't won much of anything yet. No disagreement here. Making the NCAA tournament is a clear sign of progress and a key indicator of success -- you can't make a deep tourney run without first earning a bid -- but it's not the end goal. Like every other poster here, I want more from the MU program.

Based on Wojo's record to date, you may believe you've seen the best he has to offer, and that he will not improve further as a head coach. That's your opinion. It's in no way an undisputed fact.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 02:17:34 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

feedback