[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 159698 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #300 on: January 26, 2021, 11:56:26 AM »
Either Moe, Curly, or Larry stand a better chance at being MU's next coach than any of the names mentioned in this thread, hey?

Yep. Any of the names most of us actually would want to coach our team, anyway.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #301 on: January 26, 2021, 12:48:53 PM »
Thad Matta was dismissed on June 5.

Those were pretty extreme and unusual circumstances.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #302 on: January 26, 2021, 12:50:53 PM »
Thad Matta was dismissed on June 5.

Online it says it was mutual not a dismissal.
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #303 on: January 26, 2021, 01:09:27 PM »
Either Moe, Curly, or Larry stand a better chance at being MU's next coach than any of the names mentioned in this thread, hey?

I never would have guessed Buzz was a possibility to come back.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #304 on: January 26, 2021, 01:44:39 PM »
Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest.

Anyway, here are a couple of comps.

The 2015-16 Baylor Bears.  They were 17-4 at one point and ranked in the top 15.  They finished the regular season 4-6, lost in the second round of the B12 tournament, and lost to a 12 seeded Yale in the first round.  Scott Drew...not fired.

The 2010-11 Vanderbilt Commodores.  They were ranked #18, tied for first in the SEC East, then lost three of four.  Lost to 12 seeded Richmond in the first round.  Kevin Stallings...not fired.

The 2013-14 Cincinnati Bearcats.  They were ranked #7 in the country.  Lost three of their last six.  Lost in the second round of the AAC tournament.  Lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament to 12 seeded Harvard.  Mick Cronin...not fired.

There are numerous other examples.

The fact is that these types of collapses and losses are pretty regular happenings.  Coaches don't get fired for them.  And no...there was zero chance they were going to fire Wojo after than AND just because two players transferred.
Not Monday morning, I was saying it at the time and I wasn’t alone. Also you glossed over the most important part with all of these comps. The unraveling of a top 5 roster on the heels of that late season collapse was justifiably a fireable offense. Would it have been somewhat surprising? Sure. Would there have been basis for it? Definitely.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 01:46:25 PM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #305 on: January 26, 2021, 01:49:18 PM »
Several fellow Scoopers beat me to it.

You're simply frustrated and angry, and you can't control your emotions enough to be pragmatic.

I highly recommend you channel your frustrations by organizing a petition or leading a boycott. Do something about it rather than make silly, illogical arguments on the interwebs.
You don’t know anything about me but I follow enough of your posts to find this incredibly rich
No Finish Line

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #306 on: January 26, 2021, 01:51:16 PM »
The way 2019 ended, from the results to the Hausers, may have put Wojo into position where 2020 results would've either been fireable or at least put him on the hot seat. The pandemic delayed that. Every chance of dismissing him likely got pushed back a year. We don't have to like it, but it's the likely reality.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2021, 01:56:14 PM »
Not Monday morning, I was saying it at the time and I wasn’t alone. Also you glossed over the most important part with all of these comps. The unraveling of a top 5 roster on the heels of that late season collapse was justifiably a fireable offense. Would it have been somewhat surprising? Sure. Would there have been basis for it? Definitely.

The team finished the season at 33 in KenPom.  We added the 74th ranked recruiting class in the country.  What in the world would've made us jump from 33 to a top 5 roster?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #308 on: January 26, 2021, 02:02:53 PM »

Actually, at the time the Hauser's left, you claimed it was "too late" to get rid of Wojo.

I only wish it’d happened sooner and maybe we could’ve moved on a replacement coach. Considering there’s no way the admin could’ve been completely blindsided by this maybe they should’ve proactively made a move. Now it’s too late.

Even funnier, after the Murray State loss, you said this:

I think the silent majority claim is being way overblown. While there’s been a ton of frustration vented about Wojo, very few have insisted he should be fired. Most, even the most vocally frustrated have acknowledged he deserves at least another year

Then after the brothers left, you changed your tune and said this:

The window for moving on from Wojo came and went and that opportunity was blown. Inexcusable

So you've been Monday morning quarterbacking this from the beginning.  You didn't support getting rid of Wojo after the Murray State loss, and you claimed it was too late to fire him after the Hausers left.

And now you claim you supported firing him all along???   ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 02:05:58 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #309 on: January 26, 2021, 02:47:46 PM »
The team finished the season at 33 in KenPom.  We added the 74th ranked recruiting class in the country.  What in the world would've made us jump from 33 to a top 5 roster?

ESPN did have us ranked at #2 for the next year before that happened. I think that was way too high, even with the Hausers.

If I remember right, even though we were winning, our KenPom rankings were still in the 20-30 area. I think we benefited from a fairly easy schedule. We weren’t exactly playing at the level of a top 10 team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #310 on: January 26, 2021, 02:50:12 PM »
23-4 justified top 10.   Schedule justified 20-30 range.    From the outside, everybody returning and adding Koby justified a way too early top 10.     Mutiny torpedoed that.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #311 on: January 26, 2021, 02:53:38 PM »
You call it mutiny. Others call it poor coaching leadership, which is par for Captain Mediocrity.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #312 on: January 26, 2021, 02:54:26 PM »
You call it mutiny. Others call it poor coaching leadership, which is par for Captain Mediocrity.

tower, I think you have a groupie!!!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #313 on: January 26, 2021, 02:59:11 PM »
Actually, at the time the Hauser's left, you claimed it was "too late" to get rid of Wojo.

Even funnier, after the Murray State loss, you said this:

Then after the brothers left, you changed your tune and said this:

So you've been Monday morning quarterbacking this from the beginning.  You didn't support getting rid of Wojo after the Murray State loss, and you claimed it was too late to fire him after the Hausers left.

And now you claim you supported firing him all along???   ::) ::) ::)
You literally just substantiated my claim so thanks for doing the legwork. Along those lines the fact you bothered makes me kind of sad I’m not going to lie. There has to be a better way to spend your time.
No Finish Line

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2021, 03:01:03 PM »
ESPN did have us ranked at #2 for the next year before that happened. I think that was way too high, even with the Hausers.

If I remember right, even though we were winning, our KenPom rankings were still in the 20-30 area. I think we benefited from a fairly easy schedule. We weren’t exactly playing at the level of a top 10 team.

In that ranking they made a whole paragraph about how the top recruits hadn't committed yet. We probably would've been preseason between 8 and 15.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #315 on: January 26, 2021, 03:17:14 PM »
You literally just substantiated my claim so thanks for doing the legwork. Along those lines the fact you bothered makes me kind of sad I’m not going to lie. There has to be a better way to spend your time.

Keep spinning dude.  Monday morning quarterbacking from the beginning.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #316 on: January 26, 2021, 03:33:13 PM »
tower, I think you have a groupie!!!

Can hardly blame him.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #317 on: January 26, 2021, 03:55:03 PM »
Can hardly blame him.
Speaking of Groupies, how is your Wojo Groupie Grope procgessing?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #318 on: January 26, 2021, 04:03:42 PM »
Speaking of Groupies, how is your Wojo Groupie Grope procgessing?

Well willie just made it weird.  Again....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #319 on: January 26, 2021, 04:48:26 PM »
You can't pick your groupies.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #320 on: January 26, 2021, 05:01:38 PM »
Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest.

Anyway, here are a couple of comps.

The 2015-16 Baylor Bears.  They were 17-4 at one point and ranked in the top 15.  They finished the regular season 4-6, lost in the second round of the B12 tournament, and lost to a 12 seeded Yale in the first round.  Scott Drew...not fired.

The 2010-11 Vanderbilt Commodores.  They were ranked #18, tied for first in the SEC East, then lost three of four.  Lost to 12 seeded Richmond in the first round.  Kevin Stallings...not fired.

The 2013-14 Cincinnati Bearcats.  They were ranked #7 in the country.  Lost three of their last six.  Lost in the second round of the AAC tournament.  Lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament to 12 seeded Harvard.  Mick Cronin...not fired.

There are numerous other examples.

The fact is that these types of collapses and losses are pretty regular happenings.  Coaches don't get fired for them.  And no...there was zero chance they were going to fire Wojo after than AND just because two players transferred.

So Team A lost 6 of their last 10
     Team B lost 3 of their last 4
     Team C lost 3 of their last 6

MU lost 6 of their last 7

Teams A, B and C lost as 5 seeds to 12 seeds

MU as a 5 seed was blown out of the gym (by 19) by a 12 seed.

Additionally, MU lost their 2 of their 3 best players to transfer following the fiasco.

By any “comp” Marquette’s end of season collapse was the greatest. And their NCAA performance was the most embarrassing. And the roster fallout was the worst.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #321 on: January 26, 2021, 06:23:33 PM »
So Team A lost 6 of their last 10
     Team B lost 3 of their last 4
     Team C lost 3 of their last 6

MU lost 6 of their last 7

Teams A, B and C lost as 5 seeds to 12 seeds

MU as a 5 seed was blown out of the gym (by 19) by a 12 seed.

Additionally, MU lost their 2 of their 3 best players to transfer following the fiasco.

By any “comp” Marquette’s end of season collapse was the greatest. And their NCAA performance was the most embarrassing. And the roster fallout was the worst.

Spin it how you want. Not expecting intellectual consistency from you since you’ve been biased from the start.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2021, 06:58:38 PM »
You don’t know anything about me but I follow enough of your posts to find this incredibly rich

I know plenty about you. After every loss, or narrow win, or any other basketball result that you take as a personal affront, you come on here with your hair on fire.

As I said ... do something about it. Or just keep whining here. You be you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2021, 08:22:54 PM »
Spin it how you want. Not expecting intellectual consistency from you since you’ve been biased from the start.

You try to compare apples to pomegranates (IOW, spin).I out you and your BS with inconvenient truths and you accuse me of exactly what you just did.

It’s also a lie (not uncommon for you) that I have been biased toward Wojo “from the start”. I’ve applauded his successes and on more than a few occasions even fell for what is now (and has been for some time) obviously fool’s gold. You. OTOH, have been the most intellectually inconsistent person on this board re Wojo. Vocal Projo, vehement nojo and everything in between. The good news is that all your flip flopping has given you the chance to fight, insult and get personal with folks of all stripes. Which is nice.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #324 on: January 26, 2021, 08:31:04 PM »
You try to compare apples to pomegranates (IOW, spin).I out you and your BS with inconvenient truths and you accuse me of exactly what you just did.

It’s also a lie (not uncommon for you) that I have been biased toward Wojo “from the start”. I’ve applauded his successes and on more than a few occasions even fell for what is now (and has been for some time) obviously fool’s gold. You. OTOH, have been the most intellectually inconsistent person on this board re Wojo. Vocal Projo, vehement nojo and everything in between. The good news is that all your flip flopping has given you the chance to fight, insult and get personal with folks of all stripes. Which is nice.

This is the biggest bunch of revisionist history bullsh*t.  The fact is I listed comparables. Not exactables. You don’t like it?  I don’t give AF.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:33:56 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »