Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: McEwen  (Read 28565 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: McEwen
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2020, 01:38:19 PM »
Once Koby has the ball his first instinct to try and hoist a shot. Couple times last night the GOAT was open and Koby took it in his own hands to make a play. I would give the freshman a ton more playing time at the point. He will be needed next year and beyond.

I agree, but here is the problem - at least as I see it. Kobe is back next year.

I think if Kobe was a senior, both Greg and Sy would see more minutes. but Wojo sees Kobe as one of the leaders of the team next year; hence, he doesn't attempt to limit him in any way despite ample evidence that it should happen.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2020, 01:49:57 PM »
Ed?

One more thing I love about Symir, he always finds Ed in position to make a quick move and score. The more Ed dribbles and moves, the less likely the ball comes out and more likely he doesn't score.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »
Koby was awful last night.  And thumb injury or not some of those layups he threw up there were absolute garbage.  Wojo said something about "funny shots" on the postgame with Homer and I'm certain he was talking about the Koby layups that didn't go anywhere near the basket.  The kid is athletic and can get to the hoop, but once there he's a waste.
I mostly agree with your take and with Wojos " funny shots" comment. Koby seems unsure of himself at times which leads to hesitation, and like the saying goes.... " He who hesitates is lost "

The only parts I take exception with is the "total garbage" and "he's a waste" comment. Besides being extreme it's somewhat inaccurate. In two of our biggest wins  this season Koby contributed in very significant ways.

Koby lacks confidence and consistency at the moment, and is dealing with an injured thumb. If the thumb isn't injured to the point of affecting his shot then I say let him work through it. If it is, sit him and let it heal. Sacar has shown he can be serviceable at the point and Symir has shown flashes on offense. Neither situation is optimal, but it is what it is.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »
Koby has been really bad on offense, but Torrence is definitely a liability on defense right now. I'd like to see more of him, but he's the worst backcourt defender we have at this point.

Could not agree More.  So what the answer?  3rd Base.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2020, 05:05:39 PM »
Could not agree More.  So what the answer?  3rd Base.

Greg didn't have a good shooting night against Providence, but I would like to see more of him and Markus. I liked having Cain start ahead of McEwen when Koby was out. Start Cain, Greg is first off the bench, let McEwen and Torrence fight for minutes behind him.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2020, 05:34:05 PM »
Greg didn't have a good shooting night against Providence, but I would like to see more of him and Markus. I liked having Cain start ahead of McEwen when Koby was out. Start Cain, Greg is first off the bench, let McEwen and Torrence fight for minutes behind him.

Sounds like a plan and if doesn't work keep adjusting.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2020, 05:38:04 PM »

What is up with Greg’s free throw stroke...it looks like he is shot putting it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2020, 06:07:29 PM »
What is up with Greg’s free throw stroke...it looks like he is shot putting it.

At least it's not Jayce's stroke?  ;D

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2020, 06:54:08 PM »

While I agree, I don't see that happening.  McEwen has been really tough to watch, and I'd love to see less of him until he is more consistent, but he's not going to be the 3rd guy off the bench.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2020, 08:33:58 PM »
"He who hesitates is lost" is a saying?

Haven't heard that one in all my years.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2020, 09:17:51 PM »
"He who hesitates is lost" is a saying?

Haven't heard that one in all my years.

Yeah, It's a classic, as in old.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2020, 08:30:49 PM »
who was the last transfer that lived up to half the hype?  yu'd think maybe we'd get lucky once and one of these guys actually improved from the prior year and shocked the chit outta us.  he'd get the keys to cobeen if he could-they're still all coeds eyn'a?  man, i lost my innocence over there a whole bunch of times :D

don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2020, 08:36:10 PM »
who was the last transfer that lived up to half the hype?  yu'd think maybe we'd get lucky once and one of these guys actually improved from the prior year and shocked the chit outta us.  he'd get the keys to cobeen if he could-they're still all coeds eyn'a?  man, i lost my innocence over there a whole bunch of times :D

Rowsey.

And cool? Congrats!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2020, 08:51:16 PM »
He who hesitates is lost, but haste makes waste.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2020, 08:54:16 PM »
He who hesitates is lost, but haste makes waste.

Touché

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2020, 09:09:39 PM »
Touché

Mcewen has been simply horrible offensively.  Today he wasnt horrible, with that said tyrning point in the game was when he mussed the dunk down 5 n then bricked both ft’s. SH went on a 7-0 run n ball game.
All that said, sacar n bailey shoot better than 3-18 n we r right there.  Guys arent stepping up.  Getting good shots gotta make shots and defensively we are not very tuff. Hard to win
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2020, 10:01:09 PM »
Rowsey.

And cool? Congrats!

yes, he was kinda the only one i had on my very short list, but was kinda hoping to have a, you know, list and i didn't consider a list to be, umm, one

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2020, 10:04:01 PM »
yes, he was kinda the only one i had on my very short list, but was kinda hoping to have a, you know, list and i didn't consider a list to be, umm, one

You asked for “the last transfer to live up to the hype.”  By definition that’s a list of one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2020, 10:13:24 PM »
You asked for “the last transfer to live up to the hype.”  By definition that’s a list of one.

you're right-got me. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2020, 10:37:49 PM »

Carlino. The team didn't, but he did.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2020, 03:47:18 PM »
Mike flory, david boone, tyrone baldwin

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2020, 04:20:03 PM »

What was the hype for Johnson.  In my mind it was a fouls guy who could rebound, nothing more, nothing less.  What “hype” are people talking about?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2020, 04:39:11 PM »
Mcewen has been simply horrible offensively.  Today he wasnt horrible, with that said tyrning point in the game was when he mussed the dunk down 5 n then bricked both ft’s. SH went on a 7-0 run n ball game.
All that said, sacar n bailey shoot better than 3-18 n we r right there.  Guys arent stepping up.  Getting good shots gotta make shots and defensively we are not very tuff. Hard to win

Yeah, he did some positive things, and then he wiped them all out by failing in key moments. He and a few others need  to put together a complete game. Specifically Brendan and Sacar. Markus isn't infallible either. If Marquette can get 30 solid minutes from each of them on both ends, every game, our fortunes should change. If not..........

MU82

• All American
« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2020, 10:09:34 AM »
Super solid game for Koby.

9 assists, only 1 turnover, very good defense ... and 4 perfectly pure FTs that barely even rippled the net to clinch the win.

Making a big contribution even when the shot's not there is something good basketball players do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »
Absolutely agree!  Love to see him get his shot going, but his defense, court vision, and cool under pressure are pretty much always there.

feedback