[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214616 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1050 on: December 23, 2020, 09:05:55 AM »
We just finished watching The Undoing on HBO. Pretty darn good.

Thought it was well acted and initially very intriguing. Really good through her testimony at the trial. After that, meh - the father/son chase scene at the end seemed more contrived than suspenseful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1051 on: December 23, 2020, 11:24:09 AM »
Thought it was well acted and initially very intriguing. Really good through her testimony at the trial. After that, meh - the father/son chase scene at the end seemed more contrived than suspenseful.

Completely agree. First episode was slow, then it got VERY good. But yea the ending was pretty awful for me. The twists and turns throughout the show were so good that it was a bit of a let down

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1052 on: December 23, 2020, 12:43:19 PM »
Agree, Wags and Lenny.

Mrs. 82 and I were talking about the silly OJ chase while it was happening. But overall, I thought the writing and acting were very good, and I liked the story. Only 6 episodes, too, so they didn't drag it out just to drag it out, which I also liked.

Speaking of courtroom dramas ... we have watched and liked the first couple episodes of Your Honor on Showtime, too. Brian Cranston ... man, he's good. It's a great plot concept, too. Kinda makes me wonder why it hasn't been done before.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1053 on: December 23, 2020, 03:44:32 PM »
I am currently 5 episodes into Empires of New York on CNBC.

It's a six-part documentary about five New Yorkers - Ivan Boesky, Leona Helmsley, Donald Trump, John Gotti and Rudy Giuliani - and how they rose (and often fell) in the 1980s. It does a nice job of showing how they rose to fame and fortune in the wake of the '70s recession and decline of NYC, and show some interesting parallels among the five - notably their bold, brash personalities, a sense that they could do pretty much anything they wanted, and their ability to manipulate the press.

Worth a watch, especially if (like me) you lived through that era and have some recollection of how these five were portrayed at the time, but want to fill in a few blanks.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: December 27, 2020, 10:17:43 AM »
Anybody else watch Soul yet? I watched it last night, maybe when everything's shut down and we're told to stay at home it's not a great time to release a movie about living your life to the max.

Also can anyone break down why so many people are offended by it and think it's racist?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 10:32:03 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: December 27, 2020, 10:50:11 AM »
Anybody else watch Soul yet? I watched it last night, maybe when everything's shut down and we're told to stay at home it's not a great time to release a movie about living your life to the max.

Also can anyone break down why so many people are offended by it and think it's racist?

The only articles I could find that could potentially hint at this were like from March and November 2019, when people only saw trailers. 

These early articles stated that some people were concerned that Disney/Pixar, would “morph” a Black or person of color lead character into another being, thus taking away this part of their identity, ie Miguel in Coco, Tiana from Princess & The Frog...

Again only thing I could find thru a quick google search (and it was like 2 or 3 articles), not sure where you reading “so many people”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: December 27, 2020, 10:54:06 AM »
The only articles I could find that could potentially hint at this were like from March and November 2019, when people only saw trailers. 

These early articles stated that some people were concerned that Disney/Pixar, would “morph” a Black or person of color lead character into another being, thus taking away this part of their identity, ie Miguel in Coco, Tiana from Princess & The Frog...

Again only thing I could find thru a quick google search (and it was like 2 or 3 articles), not sure where you reading “so many people”

Click on the one star reviews on Google and read them or read the business insider review that came out yesterday.
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1057 on: December 27, 2020, 11:08:20 AM »
Wonder Woman 1984 is bad. Really, really bad.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: December 27, 2020, 11:14:24 AM »
Click on the one star reviews on Google and read them or read the business insider review that came out yesterday.

I think one writer and a bunch anonymous Google reviewers who don’t even verify if you have seen the movie is not really representative of that fact it has 97% score rotten tomatoes and pretty much universal acclaim from the Black media community.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: December 27, 2020, 11:26:01 AM »
I thought Soul was well-done. Need to watch it again with more focus but my first instinct was there were fewer quotable jokes than I expected. Beautiful animation. Impressed by the concept and execution.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: December 27, 2020, 11:29:22 AM »
I think one writer and a bunch anonymous Google reviewers who don’t even verify if you have seen the movie is not really representative of that fact it has 97% score rotten tomatoes and pretty much universal acclaim from the Black media community.

Well I didn't say the majority of people. I didn't say it was being making headlines as racist. I read an article, wanted to see if some other people felt that way and then was just curious if I missed something that some of the people here noticed. My bad for the term "so many people" that triggered you. I'll change it to "more than one person"

I thought Soul was well-done. Need to watch it again with more focus but my first instinct was there were fewer quotable jokes than I expected. Beautiful animation. Impressed by the concept and execution.

That's how I felt. I wouldn't put it on the Mount Rushmore of Pixar movies but it was cute and enjoyable.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 11:33:36 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: December 27, 2020, 11:33:06 AM »
Well I didn't say the majority of people. I didn't say it was being making headlines as racist. I read an article, wanted to see if some other people felt that way and then was just curious if I missed something that some of the people here noticed. My bad for the term "so many people" that triggered you. I'll change it to "more than one person"

I was honestly curious, because I loved the movie, and didn’t see any of those things that writer saw...but I’m also a white male, with my own biases and blinders, so maybe I missed something.

Happy Sunday Galway

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: December 27, 2020, 11:34:42 AM »
I was honestly curious, because I loved the movie, and didn’t see any of those things that writer saw...but I’m also a white male, with my own biases and blinders, so maybe I missed something.

Happy Sunday Galway

This is more the response I was looking for. Just a conversation on if anyone else noticed anything. Not an argument.

Happy Sunday to you as well.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: December 27, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »

That Business Insider review was written by a white women and is getting universally panned by PoC on Twitter.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: December 27, 2020, 03:41:27 PM »
Wonder Woman 1984 is bad. Really, really bad.

Such a letdown.

The first 1 surprised me big time. This movie was literally exactly what I expected the first to be. Pure nonsense.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: December 27, 2020, 07:51:34 PM »
I thought Soul could have been great, love the idea. But, I felt like it took a massive idea and didn’t focus all that well. I LOVE Inside Out, maybe one of my favorite movies, not just favorite animated movies. It was a bit cliche at times and confusing at others. But, afterwards, my wife and two teenage boys talked about it for twenty minutes. That is a sign of something. We also didn’t realize the movie was over. We didn’t feel like it was 90 minutes, which also says something.

I did some digging after reading the post about the Insider article. In that article there is a link to another article about the trope of changing black characters into animals or creatures. I wasn’t aware of that. However, the part of the article that resonated with me the most is that “22” was the initial protagonist, the lead evolved into Joe, and it evolved into a Black character. That’s how I felt, the movie wasn’t a completed idea or really a committed idea.

I did like how Joe and 22 inspired each other, I liked how Joe inspired his students and didn’t quite get that he was such a massive force in their lives. I’ll probably watch it again, but I think it will always be a fantastic idea as an average, messy, watered down manifestation.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: December 27, 2020, 09:23:25 PM »
Saw "News of the World" in a small family-run moviehouse in rural Wisconsin this afternoon, and i would highly recommend it. Besides Glow and me, the were 3 other people in the theater, so proper social distancing was not a problem.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 09:39:30 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: December 27, 2020, 09:33:31 PM »
Outside of Succession and The Mandalorian, I’m not much of a binge/streaming guy. On Christmas Eve as we we’re putting presents out late at night, my wife wanted to watch something on Netflix together. She saw Guest House listed and turned it on.

Awful.

So awful. Probably the worst movie I’ve ever seen. Turned it off after 30 minutes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1068 on: December 27, 2020, 09:47:05 PM »
Just watched Class Action Park on HBO. Highly recommend. 90 minutes flies by.

Tried to watch Flight Attendant. Got 1 1/2 episodes in and couldn't watch it any more.

And thanks for those who gave info on the new Wonder Woman movie. My son also said it wasn't very good. I think we'll skip it with our limited TV time available. Too bad, because like other Scoopers, I found the first one to be quite enjoyable.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: December 27, 2020, 09:54:55 PM »
I’ve been binging The Crown. I’ve been having some dreams where every person is talking in a British accent.

Was there much hype about the series before this year/most recent season came out? This was the first year I’ve heard of it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: December 27, 2020, 10:09:43 PM »
On Christmas Eve as we we’re putting presents out late at night, my wife wanted to watch something on Netflix together.

On Christmas Eve, we all sat and watched four or five Christmas episodes of The Office. It was my son’s suggestion. It was an outstanding idea and we had a great time.

“Well Happy Birthday, Jesus. Sorry your party's so lame.”
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 08:48:09 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: December 27, 2020, 10:33:41 PM »
In Christmas Eve, we all sat and watched four or five Christmas episodes of The Office. It was my son’s suggestion. It was an outstanding idea and we had a great time.

“Well Happy Birthday, Jesus. Sorry your party is so lame.”

I have this tradition with the office for Halloween and Christmas.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: December 27, 2020, 11:46:54 PM »
In Christmas Eve, we all sat and watched four or five Christmas episodes of The Office. It was my son’s suggestion. It was an outstanding idea and we had a great time.

“Well Happy Birthday, Jesus. Sorry your party is so lame.”

My family did the same. My sisters both visiting from the East Coast are huge fans so we watched a pair of Christmas episodes. That led to just watching random episodes. My parents and GF were never regular fans but were cracking up. Obviously the seasons had continuing storylines and plots, but what stood out to me was how stand-alone funny the episodes are. You can put on some of the better episodes and crack up despite not seeing the season or knowing all the characters/plots.

The lawsuit with corporate over Jan and Michael’s relationship was killing us.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: December 28, 2020, 08:07:26 AM »
I’ve been binging The Crown. I’ve been having some dreams where every person is talking in a British accent.

Was there much hype about the series before this year/most recent season came out? This was the first year I’ve heard of it.

It’s been pretty big for awhile. My wife and I get through each new season pretty quickly. This year may have been bigger due to Diana being in it.

John Lithgow was really good as Churchill IMO.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: December 28, 2020, 01:03:35 PM »

It's been hyped on my Netflix home page since before the first episode of the first season, and if you read any entertainment news, it's featured quite often.

Also, it has been nominated for something like 40 Emmys and won quite a few of them, including best Actress.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 01:06:48 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback