[Today at 06:01:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 213635 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1100 on: December 31, 2020, 06:32:33 PM »
It's all the rage right now in casting.  The live-action remake of "Lady and the Tramp" was set in 1909, and it featured an mixed race upper-class couple as Lady's owners.

Please 1909.  This rage started all the back at zero.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1101 on: December 31, 2020, 06:55:18 PM »
Yep. Pretty sure 80% of the main Wire cast has been in more HBO shows. Hell, I think 50% of Treme was Wire alums.

Yeah Treme was a Simon show. The Deuce packed in a lot of The Wire cast as well. And if you watch Oz(great show btw) a bunch of the cast is in that prior to the Wire. Many in smaller roles.

It's hard to find a show on TV nowadays without a The Wire alum on it!

Michael K Williams appears to have his pick of the HBO scripts. Hes been in a lot since the Wire. Such a good actor
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1102 on: December 31, 2020, 07:06:49 PM »

Michael K Williams appears to have his pick of the HBO scripts. Hes been in a lot since the Wire. Such a good actor

He was awesome in Boardwalk Empire.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1103 on: December 31, 2020, 07:15:31 PM »
Watching Perry Mason on HBO Go. Set in 1932 Los Angeles, a prequel to the TV show essentially. John Lithgow, Mathew Rhys - pretty darn good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1104 on: December 31, 2020, 10:56:09 PM »
Watching Perry Mason on HBO Go. Set in 1932 Los Angeles, a prequel to the TV show essentially. John Lithgow, Mathew Rhys - pretty darn good.

We enjoyed this show. Della's a bad-ass!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #1105 on: January 01, 2021, 12:05:22 PM »
Yep. Pretty sure 80% of the main Wire cast has been in more HBO shows. Hell, I think 50% of Treme was Wire alums.

Yeah, David Simon definitely brought a lot of his ensemble back for that one.  Also, the dude who played Frank Sobotka in The Wire is hilarious as James Franco’s scumbag BIL in The Deuce, another awesome HBO show.  The Deuce also isn’t a huge time investment, just three seasons, which was the plan when they started production.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1106 on: January 01, 2021, 12:30:33 PM »
We enjoyed this show. Della's a bad-ass!

Agreed!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1107 on: January 01, 2021, 01:23:08 PM »
Yeah, David Simon definitely brought a lot of his ensemble back for that one.  Also, the dude who played Frank Sobotka in The Wire is hilarious as James Franco’s scumbag BIL in The Deuce, another awesome HBO show.  The Deuce also isn’t a huge time investment, just three seasons, which was the plan when they started production.

I need to finish that show. I liked S1 a lot and then just never got back to the last 2 seasons for some reason.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1108 on: January 01, 2021, 01:54:23 PM »

Is it like the TV show, where Perry's withering questions cause the defendant to confess on the stand every time?  ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1109 on: January 01, 2021, 03:59:42 PM »

Is it like the TV show, where Perry's withering questions cause the defendant to confess on the stand every time?  ;D

It's largely about Perry's backstory in S1. As fans of The Americans know, Matthew Rhys is a damn talented actor.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #1110 on: January 01, 2021, 06:50:23 PM »
I need to finish that show. I liked S1 a lot and then just never got back to the last 2 seasons for some reason.

Do it.  It’s not quite as good as The Wire, but it’s up there.  You won’t be disappointed.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1111 on: January 02, 2021, 10:24:12 PM »
Getting into Clone Wars on Disney+. The first half season was tough to get into, but now that they are better fleshing out Ahsoka and have introduced more interesting characters like Cad Bane and the Mandalorians, I'm really enjoying it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1112 on: January 02, 2021, 10:29:53 PM »
Finally got around the watching the Boys. Binged it in about a week. Brilliant show. Really looking forward to season three. That scene with the dolphin gave me my first uncontrollable belly laugh in a very long time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1113 on: January 02, 2021, 11:35:44 PM »
Finally got around the watching the Boys. Binged it in about a week. Brilliant show. Really looking forward to season three. That scene with the dolphin gave me my first uncontrollable belly laugh in a very long time.

Such an excellent show.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1114 on: January 03, 2021, 10:17:14 PM »
Just watched WW 1984 and I didn't think it was as bad as it was made out to be. I mean I won't be watching it ever again but don't feel like I just lost two hours of my life I'll never get back.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1115 on: January 04, 2021, 07:38:46 AM »
It's all the rage right now in casting.  The live-action remake of "Lady and the Tramp" was set in 1909, and it featured an mixed race upper-class couple as Lady's owners.

I can remember back in the late 60s and through the 70s there were a lot of shows with the token black actor; today its the token LGBTQ person.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1116 on: January 04, 2021, 08:18:55 AM »

The dolphin scene was simultaneously hilarious and horrendous. The Deep is such a disaster of a character.  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1117 on: January 04, 2021, 08:26:13 AM »

Do you remember the Cherrios "mixed race ad" and the "controversy" it caused?  That was only seven years ago.

https://www.today.com/news/cheerios-ad-mixed-race-family-draws-racist-responses-6C10169988

And now, you see mixed race couples in ads all over the place.  Which is absolutely fine of course, but it shows how much things have changed in less than a decade.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1118 on: January 04, 2021, 08:48:50 AM »
Do you remember the Cherrios "mixed race ad" and the "controversy" it caused?  That was only seven years ago.

https://www.today.com/news/cheerios-ad-mixed-race-family-draws-racist-responses-6C10169988

And now, you see mixed race couples in ads all over the place.  Which is absolutely fine of course, but it shows how much things have changed in less than a decade.

Right and I don’t think anyone here has an issue with that, as it’s more reflective of the current world.

But when you’re casting for historical/period pieces, it just seems silly, much less making that historical inaccuracy a plot point, it just seems revisionist, that’s all.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1119 on: January 04, 2021, 09:01:21 AM »

Loooooooong overdue to reflect day to day life in society. Perhaps Netflix can now address casting darker shades of color for its original series and movies. It has long had a stigma for that. Progress is slow.

As for the show "Bridgerton," Shonda Rhimes writes and casts characters based on her experiences and interests, as well as for people watching at home today. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1120 on: January 04, 2021, 11:40:06 AM »
Loooooooong overdue to reflect day to day life in society. Perhaps Netflix can now address casting darker shades of color for its original series and movies. It has long had a stigma for that. Progress is slow.

As for the show "Bridgerton," Shonda Rhimes writes and casts characters based on her experiences and interests, as well as for people watching at home today.

Didn’t realize she experienced the queen being a POC in early 19th Century England.

I’m all for equal representation and casting, but if I created a show about Song Dynasty and made the Emperor a Caucasian and his chief advisor a Latino gentleman, people would be like WTF at best and pissed at worst.

Whitewashing in casting is bad.  Underrepresented women and minorities in lead roles or central characters is bad.  Both are in the process of being evolved and changed, which is great.  Shoving “underrepresented” demographics into period pieces or roles where they don’t make sense to overcorrect or pander to a certain demographic is also bad and feels foolish.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1121 on: January 04, 2021, 11:46:40 AM »
Didn’t realize she experienced the queen being a POC in early 19th Century England.

I’m all for equal representation and casting, but if I created a show about Song Dynasty and made the Emperor a Caucasian and his chief advisor a Latino gentleman, people would be like WTF at best and pissed at worst.

Whitewashing in casting is bad.  Underrepresented women and minorities in lead roles or central characters is bad.  Both are in the process of being evolved and changed, which is great.  Shoving “underrepresented” demographics into period pieces or roles where they don’t make sense to overcorrect or pander to a certain demographic is also bad and feels foolish.

+1
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1122 on: January 04, 2021, 01:02:27 PM »

Julia Quinn and others disagree. Anyone w/even the slightest familiarity of Shonda Rhimes' work knows how she works.

Many period pieces have historical inaccuracies, The Crown etc...where's the outrage. Bridgerton has modern music and some have mentioned the interesting physical depictions of the White Elizabethans in the show. I believe you called the historically inaccurate music "incredible" in a recent post.

It's often interesting what does and doesn't bother some people.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:08:23 PM by shoothoops »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1123 on: January 04, 2021, 01:06:23 PM »
Shoving “underrepresented” demographics into period pieces or roles where they don’t make sense to overcorrect or pander to a certain demographic is also bad and feels foolish.

Who cares? It's not a documentary. Why are certain fictitious elements ok and others not?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1124 on: January 04, 2021, 01:10:19 PM »
Who cares? It's not a documentary. Why are certain fictitious elements ok and others not?

My personal take on these situations is always if this were a movie based on my life how much fictional/creative liberty would I be cool with them taking?

I also think Wags' point about a reversed situation, not even necessarily a white person, but say a Hispanic actor/actress playing an Asian or black non fictional character wouldn't go over well so I don't think it's offensive to at least have a discussion of "well maybe this should be a two way street"
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback