collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214985 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #900 on: November 08, 2020, 08:49:23 PM »
Never watched it during its original HBO run, but I am currently watching Treme, a show about post-Katrina New Orleans.  Very interesting look at what it was like to be a local in that area.

Parts of that show are phenomenal, parts just drag. Some episodes I couldn’t wait for next weeks, others left me shrugging. It’s probably unfair expectations for a David Simon show after The Wire though

tower912

• All American
« Reply #901 on: November 11, 2020, 10:05:36 AM »
Band of Brothers marathon.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #902 on: November 11, 2020, 11:26:24 AM »
Band of Brothers marathon.

Don't forget to follow it up with The Pacific.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #903 on: November 11, 2020, 12:06:32 PM »
My wife and I are watching "Wayne" on Amazon Prime. It's about a teenage boy who has a big heart but a violent streak that gets him into trouble. He falls for a girl and they decide to go to Florida to recover a car that had been his father's.

It's OK. The boy is well-acted. The girl's fine -- the fake Boston accent and her use of "teen talk" such as "whatever" seems forced.

It's an easy way to waste a half-hour of TV watching but we couldn't help but think it is a fairly weak imitation of "The End of the F'n World" on Netflix. Highly recommend that one, far superior IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #904 on: November 11, 2020, 12:15:17 PM »
Just finished The Wire for the first time.  Sheeeeeeeeeeeet, that was a good show.

Now on to Deadwood.

Finishing up Homeland after that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #905 on: November 11, 2020, 12:30:14 PM »
Just finished The Wire for the first time.  Sheeeeeeeeeeeet, that was a good show.

Now on to Deadwood.

You might give Treme a try.  Done by the same guy as The Wire.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #906 on: November 11, 2020, 12:36:56 PM »

Now on to Deadwood.

A post without mentioning me?  Damn, what did I do wrong?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #907 on: November 11, 2020, 01:23:36 PM »
Finished the second episode of El Presidente on Amazon Prime last night. It's a drama recounting the 2015 FIFA corruption scandal. It's a Chilean show and the English dubbing is pretty bad in some parts but it's been good so far.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #908 on: November 11, 2020, 01:26:10 PM »
My wife and I are watching "Wayne" on Amazon Prime. It's about a teenage boy who has a big heart but a violent streak that gets him into trouble. He falls for a girl and they decide to go to Florida to recover a car that had been his father's.

It's OK. The boy is well-acted. The girl's fine -- the fake Boston accent and her use of "teen talk" such as "whatever" seems forced.

It's an easy way to waste a half-hour of TV watching but we couldn't help but think it is a fairly weak imitation of "The End of the F'n World" on Netflix. Highly recommend that one, far superior IMHO.

I agree completely. Wayne is mostly entertaining, but we are watching it as a show to fill in when we don't feel like investing a couple hours on another show on any particular night.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #909 on: November 11, 2020, 03:41:01 PM »
I agree completely. Wayne is mostly entertaining, but we are watching it as a show to fill in when we don't feel like investing a couple hours on another show on any particular night.

Exactly. We are always looking for decent half-hour shows for the exact reasons you state.

To that end ... We kind of enjoyed Shrill, the Aidy Bryant vehicle. Definitely better than we expected it to be.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #910 on: November 11, 2020, 04:08:26 PM »
You might give Treme a try.  Done by the same guy as The Wire.

Thanks for the tip.  If i can squeeze it out of my free month, I'll watch it.  (Cheap SOB)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #911 on: November 11, 2020, 04:10:52 PM »

Don't forget to follow it up with The Pacific.

I loved both of them.
Fantastic mini-series.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #912 on: November 11, 2020, 04:35:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  If i can squeeze it out of my free month, I'll watch it.  (Cheap SOB)

Always looking for welfare. Sad!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #913 on: November 11, 2020, 05:42:36 PM »
Always looking for welfare. Sad!

If this was humor, it failed.   Bigly.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #914 on: November 11, 2020, 05:57:40 PM »
If this was humor, it failed.   Bigly.

Just take your free stuff and be happy. The rest of us pay so you can enjoy your evenings.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #915 on: November 11, 2020, 06:20:21 PM »
Clint Eastwood has defamed a since-deceased reporter, depicting her in "Richard Jewell" as having slept with sources to get stories about the 1996 Olympic bombing despite no evidence that ever occurred.

Warner Bros is defending Eastwood and the studio by pointing to the disclaimer that rolls with the end-of-movie credits: "The film is based on actual historical events. Dialogue and certain events and characters contained in the film were created for the purposes of dramatization."

Nice. Misogyny and character assassination are always dramatically fun!
Richard Jewell is played by an actor with family origins in Milwaukee. The actor in the lead, also known for his work in I Tonya (Shaun the bodyguard --who kneecapped Kerrigan), Paul Walter Hauser is the son of Paul Hauser of Milw.

Paul and I were in the same class and good friends at Milwaukee Lutheran High, Class of 75. Paul went on to be a minister in Grand Rapids where his son, the actor, was born. The actor's grandpa , also Paul Hauser was a minister for decades at a northside Milw. lutheran church.

It was fun to see Paul's kid make it in the movies, but both dad and grandpa were skinny.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #916 on: November 11, 2020, 06:28:55 PM »
Richard Jewell is played by an actor with family origins in Milwaukee. The actor in the lead, also known for his work in I Tonya (Shaun the bodyguard --who kneecapped Kerrigan), Paul Walter Hauser is the son of Paul Hauser of Milw.

Paul and I were in the same class and good friends at Milwaukee Lutheran High, Class of 75. Paul went on to be a minister in Grand Rapids where his son, the actor, was born. The actor's grandpa , also Paul Hauser was a minister for decades at a northside Milw. lutheran church.

It was fun to see Paul's kid make it in the movies, but both dad and grandpa were skinny.

Good stuff. I always enjoy these six degrees (or less) of separation stories. You've got me trying to think if I personally knew anybody 40-50 years ago who went on to become a famous actor or a pro athlete; I'm not sure I did.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #917 on: November 11, 2020, 07:12:17 PM »
Threw this in a couple of weeks back.

Queen of the South on Netflix.

Just finished the 4th season. All caught up now.

I promise you won’t regret watching.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #918 on: November 11, 2020, 07:28:54 PM »
Threw this in a couple of weeks back.

Queen of the South on Netflix.

Just finished the 4th season. All caught up now.

I promise you won’t regret watching.

Is it in Spanish or English? I assumed Spanish, so I haven't watched it yet.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #919 on: November 11, 2020, 08:05:56 PM »
Is it in Spanish or English? I assumed Spanish, so I haven't watched it yet.

I haven't watched it on Netflix but it originally aired as a USA Channel Original in English
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #920 on: November 11, 2020, 09:45:28 PM »
I haven't watched it on Netflix but it originally aired as a USA Channel Original in English

Gracias, TAMU.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #921 on: November 12, 2020, 10:09:04 AM »

It’s 90% in English. It’s not like Narcos for example.

It’s a great show, I will say the usage of Spanish is confusing to me though. You have characters whose native tongue is Spanish who speak primarily in English, you have others whose jump back and forth, and then some speak Spanish for a few episodes and then start speaking mostly Spanish.  Also, another personal quirk, Isabella is a child who grew up in Sinaloa. Even if you’re the wealthy child of cosmopolitan parents, you’re not growing up in that circumstance speaking perfect unaccented American English  :o

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #922 on: November 12, 2020, 01:38:27 PM »
We just started The Queen's Gambit on Netflix.  So far it is pretty good. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #923 on: November 12, 2020, 01:50:32 PM »
We just started The Queen's Gambit on Netflix.  So far it is pretty good.

We've only watched Ep 1. The actress who played the young chess prodigy was outstanding.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #924 on: November 14, 2020, 10:46:56 PM »
Binged 4 Trials. Pretty good. Thought parts of it were drawn out and they could’ve cut out about one episode’s worth over the series, but crazy what cops can get away with and not face any consequences, while their actions put people behind bars that otherwise wouldn’t be.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback