[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214717 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #625 on: July 06, 2020, 09:58:39 AM »
Watched “The Great” on Hulu. Dramedy about Catherine the Great’s first years in Russia. Brilliantly done. We didn’t know what to expect and chose it for the historical aspect, but it was hilarious and fantastically paced and framed. Very British humor in a lot of the delivery, but the modern sort, not the dry fashion of the 70s and 80s that people have trouble getting around.  Very impressive cast as well

Huzzah!

JWags85

• All American

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #627 on: July 06, 2020, 12:50:22 PM »
my wife and I started Schitt's Creek recently and have blown through it. Why did I miss it for so long?  DAVID!

She's lined up Warrior Nun next.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #628 on: July 06, 2020, 02:33:22 PM »
my wife and I started Schitt's Creek recently and have blown through it. Why did I miss it for so long?  DAVID!

She's lined up Warrior Nun next.

I finished watching a month ago with my wife.
And I've been re-watching with my teenagers who think it's hilarious. 

And I just found out today that Chris Eliott lives here in Old Lyme, CT in what used to be The Nut Museum.  (How appropriate.)  Some lady for decades collected nuts from around the world and opened her house to visitors.  She died in the early 2000s and the collection was donated to Connecticut College.  More the reason Chris Eliott purchased the house is that it is architecturally significant and unique.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #629 on: July 06, 2020, 04:09:20 PM »
I found Schitt's Creek .. awful. 

My wife kept watching S01 and I refused to get S02 for her.  So much other stuff that's got to be better.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #630 on: July 06, 2020, 04:17:50 PM »

My wife kept watching S01 and I refused to get S02 for her.  So much other stuff that's got to be better.

I mostly agree, Topper. Season 1 and even Season 2 were mildly entertaining. The latter season were, as you say, awful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #631 on: July 06, 2020, 04:23:06 PM »
I finished watching a month ago with my wife.
And I've been re-watching with my teenagers who think it's hilarious. 

And I just found out today that Chris Eliott lives here in Old Lyme, CT in what used to be The Nut Museum.  (How appropriate.)  Some lady for decades collected nuts from around the world and opened her house to visitors.  She died in the early 2000s and the collection was donated to Connecticut College.  More the reason Chris Eliott purchased the house is that it is architecturally significant and unique.

Loved Eliott from back in his "Get a Life" days.

We're on season 5 and it's not the same, too much relationship stuff. Still entertaining. I love Stevie's snark.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #632 on: July 06, 2020, 07:27:22 PM »
Loved Eliott from back in his "Get a Life" days.

We're on season 5 and it's not the same, too much relationship stuff. Still entertaining. I love Stevie's snark.

I read an interview with Daniel Levy.  He said after the success of Season 1 him and his dad penciled in an outline for 5 seasons.  Like after season 3 the CBC offered a contract for what would make it 6  seasons.  They evaluated if they hed enough material to adjust to 6 seasons wilthout making it look like they're going through the motions.  The final season finished airing in Canada at the end of April.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #633 on: July 06, 2020, 08:43:48 PM »
More dumb broadway questions. Is it common for Broadway actors/actresses to also be film and/or television actors/actresses? And if it is, do they typically start on screen or in the theater? Or is it not always one to the other?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #634 on: July 06, 2020, 09:15:49 PM »

Thank you, Topper. Juvenile and unfunny, IMO.

When Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara were young I was a big fan of SCTV, which included them, Joe Flaherty, John Candy and others. So I looked forward to Schmitt’s Creek. Disappointing.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #635 on: July 06, 2020, 09:17:43 PM »
More dumb broadway questions. Is it common for Broadway actors/actresses to also be film and/or television actors/actresses? And if it is, do they typically start on screen or in the theater? Or is it not always one to the other?

Yes to question one and both for question two. It all depends on the individual actor and their interests and opportunities.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #636 on: July 06, 2020, 09:44:26 PM »
Yes to question one and both for question two. It all depends on the individual actor and their interests and opportunities.

Fun fact: There are quite a number of well-known Broadway actors/actresses that pop up on the "Law and Order" shows because it is filmed in New York.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #637 on: July 07, 2020, 08:30:13 AM »

I got about 8 episodes in and gave up on it. Terribly unfunny.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #638 on: July 07, 2020, 08:49:22 AM »

How exactly does this work?  1950's much?   ;)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #639 on: July 07, 2020, 08:57:05 AM »
Now being on dad duty from 7.30p-1am each night with a 1mo old I figured it was time to finally watch The Wire. 2 nights down (9 episodes so far) and loving it. I can see why it's been lauded as one of the greatest shows ever.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #640 on: July 07, 2020, 09:06:45 AM »
Now being on dad duty from 7.30p-1am each night with a 1mo old I figured it was time to finally watch The Wire. 2 nights down (9 episodes so far) and loving it. I can see why it's been lauded as one of the greatest shows ever.

Congrats on the new addition!!

I'm wrapping up the fourth season, and it's remarkable. I don't know how they followed this.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #641 on: July 07, 2020, 10:38:23 AM »
How exactly does this work?  1950's much?   ;)

Keep ‘em barefoot and pregnant.  ;D

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #642 on: July 07, 2020, 05:23:10 PM »

As someone who has a Broadway obsessive uncle and a sister who is in talent management in NY for performing artists, I’ll give me take.

The likelihood of stage actors moving into film and television is more likely than those who do lots of musical theater. The musical sort, with obvious exceptions, kind of get typecast and usually don’t crossover except for other musicals or adaptations of Broadway musicals,

As for where they start, it’s far more likely they go from theater to screen, than the other way around.  The list of accomplished stage actors who transitioned to film is long, especially coming out the the UK.  But if you get your start acting to a camera and get a lot of experience there, going to stage is a bit of a difficult transition. Someone like Daniel Radcliffe is an exception.

People think of Matthew Broderick’s later foray back into Broadway with the Producers and a bunch more after, but he was doing Broadway for years before Ferris Bueller.  Same with Hugh Jackman before he got his movie breaks.

But Shoot is right, going from stage to film is a combination of desire and good representation finding you the shot. There are plenty of very good stage actors who love being in theater and don’t ever look for film or TV, aside from small stuff here or there, because that’s what they are happy doing

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #643 on: July 16, 2020, 09:26:18 AM »
I'm wrapping up the fourth season, and it's remarkable. I don't know how they followed this.

Finished the series last night, and I'm still processing the whole thing. Very rarely do I think things live up to their hype, but this show did.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #644 on: July 16, 2020, 10:06:49 AM »
Decided to get a month of DIS+ specifically to watch Hamilton and The Mandalorian. Such a deal! Easily is the best money I've spent in 2020.

Like several others, I also saw Hamilton live and loved it, but we actually liked this version better. We were in the mezzanine for the play (and were lucky to get those tickets), so we were pretty far away. This show, it was like we were in the front row. Could hear every word. Totally loved it.

Agree with those about LMM's voice, arguably the weakest of the entire cast. But that didn't detract from our enjoyment of Hamilton one iota. He is, as others have noted, a genius.

Mandalorian ... loved it! I watched with a teeny bit of trepidation because I really like Star Wars but am not a SW-aholic, so I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the hype. But it was very entertaining, and often had me on the edge of my seat. Even thought-provoking at times. And while it would have been easy to make it too cutesy with Baby Yoda, I really never felt they did that as I watched. And he was cute as hell!

We also watched another Broadway play that they made into a Hamilton-type experience -- Newsies. It was no Hamilton, but it was still quite enjoyable. The lead actor has an incredible voice, and the dancing was insanely good.

I'll probably cancel DIS+ at the end of the month. We don't have kids at home, I've seen all the Marvel and Star Wars movies I care to, etc. But I'll sign up again if there's a Season 2 of Mando.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #645 on: July 16, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »
But I'll sign up again if there's a Season 2 of Mando.
FYI they had already wrapped prior to COVID and is expected to be released in October. Season 3 has been greenlit as well.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #646 on: July 16, 2020, 01:12:21 PM »
Finally got around to Bodyguard. Boy is it heavy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #647 on: July 16, 2020, 01:42:46 PM »
FYI they had already wrapped prior to COVID and is expected to be released in October. Season 3 has been greenlit as well.

Thanks for the info. I'll be signing back up for another month!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #648 on: July 16, 2020, 03:56:00 PM »
Just started Avatar: The Last Airbender today. 4 episodes in and feels like a pretty straightforward anime style show. Enjoyable, but not gotten to the mindblown point many seem to feel.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #649 on: July 16, 2020, 05:20:35 PM »
Finally got around to Bodyguard. Boy is it heavy.

There are like 2-3 HOLY SH** out of nowhere moments

feedback