[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 210895 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #675 on: August 06, 2020, 09:57:46 PM »
Firstly .. I've watched West Wing 3x now.  I'd absolutely love to show it to the boys but they just wouldn't understand so much of it.   Sports Night .. The Newsroom .. Studio 60 .. all great.  But too adulty.

Battlestar Galactica .. I've never seen it (except the one in 1980s..) and you are the 2nd to suggest .. so that might be the winner.

.. As an aside, as I feel like my kids brains are turning to mush, I try to do a Youtube "Crash Course" with them every day.  They are 10 minute videos on some subject .. but when I'm doing it, I'm pausing the video and doing side lectures, asking them questions, so sometimes it takes an hour to get through.

I'm currently doing the Economics playlist with them.  Turns out I can bullshat my way through an hour easy.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #676 on: August 06, 2020, 10:10:02 PM »
The modern BSG is much better than the old one from what I've seen. It's not nearly as campy and the evolution of the Cylons make them more interesting and sinister. But it wasn't overly violent that I recall (though it's been a decade or so since I watched). I also think you'll enjoy it, especially the first season where you're figuring out what's going on.

EDIT: As it's been awhile, you might want to check out the first episode or two to see if the age rating is appropriate. I would guess it's probably okay, but memories get fuzzy after a decade and I only watched it through adult eyes without children.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:11:46 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #677 on: August 06, 2020, 10:44:59 PM »
I'm a fan of modern BSG....but from what I remember, it may be a little beyond the attention span of a 12 year old. 14 probably at the low end for BSG fandom. I rewatched it maybe 5 years ago and there is surprisingly little action and in the latter season they spend more time exploring some high level existential questions.

Also, don't know how you feel about "adult" themes. No nudity but plenty of sexy time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #678 on: August 07, 2020, 09:59:19 AM »
This may be more appropriate on the Youtube thread, but I'll share here as it does name a tv show we just watched.  When Youtube raised rates recently we dumped them.  Then we wondered what we were going to watch or do with the whole tv thing and started exploring the various apps.  We found one called IMDb app and checked it out.  Bunch of free tv (they do make you watch ads, more on that in a moment) and since I had never watched Boston Legal when it was out, we watched that over the last few weeks.  I now wonder if this will be the new way for us to watch tv.  Find a show and watch several seasons over a few weeks, rather than waiting for new episodes once a week as they come out.  It certainly is possible and will save a great deal of money over the year.   We are now moving onto Perry Mason on HBO (via Amazon Prime) and have Moonlighting and Numbers in our future as well (hopefully via IMDb).

A sidenote on the ads on IMDb.  I hate them.  They are never long enough to get up and do something (restroom, refresh your drink, get a snack) so you either have to watch them or pause the tv at that point and come back and watch them.  Actually it is quite brilliant on their part.  In fact you hardly have enough time to login to Scoop to check for new posts. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #679 on: August 07, 2020, 01:16:18 PM »
Hmm .. no joy on Battlestar Galactica.  I didn't watch it when it came out and .. it didn't light my fire today either.

Still searching.. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #680 on: August 07, 2020, 01:27:25 PM »
Arrested Development?  Is Daredevil too violent?

It's also never too late to get them into anime!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #681 on: August 07, 2020, 02:03:20 PM »
I. LOVE. Sports Night.  It's a travesty that it was over after 2 seasons.

I don't think Umbrella Academy would pass the limited violence requirement. But it's a fun watch

Agree completely with Sports Night. I have only seen 3 series that matched my criteria for sports shows - White Shadow, Brockmire, and Sports Night.

Disagree on Umbrella Academy. Tried twice and never made it to the end of Episode 1.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #682 on: August 07, 2020, 05:13:57 PM »
Just had a thought .. maybe the NBC show Heroes from a decade ago..

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #683 on: August 07, 2020, 05:34:21 PM »
Just had a thought .. maybe the NBC show Heroes from a decade ago..

Season 1 is so so good.
Season 2 and 3 is so so bad. (Got caught up in the writers strike)
Season 4 was really good but the damage from the past two seasons was done.

Writers strike killed a lot of good shows,  none of them had more potential than Heroes
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #684 on: August 07, 2020, 08:13:31 PM »
Yup, two things Lost had going for it. They weren't afraid to kill off main characters, that was kind of a shock at the time.

Also, the end of season one when they finally blow open the was talked about endlessly. I didn't even start watching until season 3 because I was too young when it first aired, but I remember "What's in The Hatch?" being talked on a near daily basis.

Lost was just a cultural phenomenon just like Survivor was when it first came out.
Yep... we discussed LOST non stop at work. Guys started watching the dvds during lunch to catch up and be part of the chatter. I’d receive phone calls after episodes to discuss and break down the show. Internet deep dives were great. TV,for the most part, is consumed differently these days.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #685 on: August 07, 2020, 08:54:21 PM »
Hmm .. no joy on Battlestar Galactica.  I didn't watch it when it came out and .. it didn't light my fire today either.

Still searching..

Scrubs? Maybe a little sexual for the kiddos but it’s nothing crazy explicit. Probably my favorite comedy.

Also, Heather Graham making a few appearances throughout the series is never not welcome.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #686 on: August 07, 2020, 09:33:01 PM »
Scrubs? Maybe a little sexual for the kiddos but it’s nothing crazy explicit. Probably my favorite comedy.

Also, Heather Graham making a few appearances throughout the series is never not welcome.

Also, the most medically accurate fiction show that's been on TV

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #687 on: August 09, 2020, 04:57:25 PM »
Finished up "I'll Be Gone in the Dark".  Last episode pretty powerful. The POV angle added a lot I thought as a docu-series. Will win some awards.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #688 on: August 09, 2020, 06:04:27 PM »
Didn't have Showtime when it came out, but I have been watching Californication on Hulu. David Duchovny, Evan Handler and Pamela Adlon are all outstanding.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #689 on: August 09, 2020, 06:06:17 PM »
I haven’t kept up on this thread so I apologize if it has already been discussed, but did anybody watch Immigration Nation yet on Netflix? If so, any reviews?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #690 on: August 09, 2020, 06:31:54 PM »
Didn't have Showtime when it came out, but I have been watching Californication on Hulu. David Duchovny, Evan Handler and Pamela Adlon are all outstanding.

If you like Adlon and have HULU, check out Better Things. As good as any show on TV.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 11:00:42 AM by Jockey »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #691 on: August 10, 2020, 09:13:22 AM »
Perry Mason on HBO. Surprisingly good. In this version Mason is not the slick lawyer as seen on the 50s TV version. Della Street is a lesbian, Assistant DA Hamilton Burger is also gay, and Paul Drake is African American. It also takes place in 1930s LA.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #692 on: August 16, 2020, 02:03:50 PM »
After completing Lost .. then Band of Brothers, I started showing my boys movies at lunch (over two days.)

The list so far:  A Few Good Men, Saving Private Ryan, Hacksaw Ridge, Remember the Titans.

Today's movie:  Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #693 on: August 16, 2020, 02:10:21 PM »
If you like Adlon and have HULU, check out Better Things. As good as any show on TV.

Funny - I actually decided to try Californication because I had watched Better Things and loved her performances.😎

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #694 on: August 16, 2020, 02:16:15 PM »
Finished up "I'll Be Gone in the Dark".  Last episode pretty powerful. The POV angle added a lot I thought as a docu-series. Will win some awards.

Didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Too much focus on McNamara and not as much on GSK until the final episodes.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #695 on: August 16, 2020, 09:17:31 PM »
Ok .. need some help.

When COVID closed the schools .. my boys (12 and 14) would have lunch, and .. I got them hooked on Lost.   Watched an episode per day, and ~5 months later, we were done.

Next up, was Band of Brothers.   Great, so great.  But that was only 12 episodes and we finished today.

So .. what next?    Band of Brothers checked a lot of boxes, entertaining, sometimes inspirational, and frankly educational.     It's hard to imagine another series like that, but maybe Scoop can come up with something.

Either that, or ok, another series of some sort.   Can't be violent or mom will veto.

Help.

Ken Burns stuff, especially WW2 or Civil War. PG version of The Last Dance. On Netflix, Atypical might be a pretty good one for y’all.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #696 on: August 20, 2020, 12:10:40 PM »
Just finished Season 3 of Killing Eve with the family.
The season felt disjointed and all over the place and not as good as Seasons 1 & 2 other than the episode when Villanel finally meets her family in Russia.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #697 on: August 20, 2020, 12:43:19 PM »
Eco Challenge Fiji on Amazon is fantastic.

It makes my fat ass want to be an adventure racer.  Lol.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #698 on: August 20, 2020, 01:17:50 PM »
Let’s try this again...

I recently very randomly watched the Paul Rudd (minor role) film “The Perks of being a Wallflower” after passing it numerous times on Netflix. I knew nothing about it. Enjoyed the film as well as the music.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #699 on: August 20, 2020, 01:48:17 PM »
Is this the right thread?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.