[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214898 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #650 on: July 16, 2020, 05:28:06 PM »
There are like 2-3 HOLY SH** out of nowhere moments

Extremely well done. As I think we have discussed before, I am a huge fan of English dramas.

Comedies? Not so much. I tried The Great on your recommendation (you've said you like British comedy a lot) and just couldn't do more than one episode. I am watching the documentary on Monty Python (Netflix), though. I loved the show as a little kid. It was on PBS on Sunday nights. Really old school British comedy.

There have been some comedies I have liked, but not all that many.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #651 on: July 16, 2020, 05:32:28 PM »
Watching Hunters on prime, and I love it... except for some of the strange stuff that is thrown in for... levity I guess?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #652 on: July 16, 2020, 05:50:54 PM »
Watching Hunters on prime, and I love it... except for some of the strange stuff that is thrown in for... levity I guess?

my wife and I loved Hunters. Our neighbor bailed after the second episode so not for everyone.

We killed off "A Very British Affair" on Prime in two nights. Excellent stuff.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #653 on: July 17, 2020, 10:50:53 AM »
I'm halfway through Season 4 of The Man in the High Castle  Season 4 feels way different than the first 3 but still intriguing.

Started The Cars that Made America.  I DVR'ed a few weeks ago on History Channel.  Follows like the The Food that Made America.  Halfway through Episode 1 there is so much I did not know about the history of Ford & GM.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #654 on: July 17, 2020, 12:50:33 PM »
Anyone watch Perry Mason on HBO? Also anyone have Roku and know how I’ll be able to access HBO after July 31?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #655 on: July 17, 2020, 01:01:05 PM »
Anyone watch Perry Mason on HBO? Also anyone have Roku and know how I’ll be able to access HBO after July 31?

We use Amazon Prime to subscribe to HBO and their streaming service.  Works great.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #656 on: July 17, 2020, 02:23:28 PM »
We use Amazon Prime to subscribe to HBO and their streaming service.  Works great.

HBO is still arguing with Roku over fees, but you can use the HBO Go or HBO Now app on Roku. The issue is that you can't watch live. For example, Perry Mason is on at 8:00 pm, but you can't watch it until a few minutes after 9:00.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #657 on: July 19, 2020, 07:15:27 PM »
Congrats on the new addition!!

I'm wrapping up the fourth season, and it's remarkable. I don't know how they followed this.

Thanks homie.

I'm in the middle of season 3 right now and loving it. Can't wait to watch a bit on vacation this week at the lake house with a cigar and bourbon.
But I like to throw handfuls...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #658 on: July 23, 2020, 08:57:57 PM »
Started watching "Episodes" on Netflix.

Not bad. Does a decent job  skewering Hollywood and American culture.  Matt LeBlanc is a better actor than I thought (granted, he is playing himself, sort of).

Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #659 on: July 25, 2020, 05:48:29 PM »
Well, after 121 episodes, we finished Lost today.   3 days, 18 hours of entertainment, spread over ~6 months.

In my children's short life, this is their finest accomplishment.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #660 on: July 25, 2020, 06:15:15 PM »
Well, after 121 episodes, we finished Lost today.   3 days, 18 hours of entertainment, spread over ~6 months.

Currently on a rewatch myself. Forgot how good that first season was.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #661 on: July 25, 2020, 09:13:54 PM »
Gave up Showtime a couple of years ago. They had a promotion giving us a week for free. Checked out some old favorites most recent season. Homeland (final season) was very good), Billions was weird and not good, Ray Donovan (not sure if more seasons are coming) was terrific.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #662 on: July 26, 2020, 01:57:07 AM »

Watched it for the first time a few years ago. Gotta say, people hyped it up to me for years...and it failed spectacularly to live up to the resulting expectations.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #663 on: July 26, 2020, 09:41:50 AM »
Watched it for the first time a few years ago. Gotta say, people hyped it up to me for years...and it failed spectacularly to live up to the resulting expectations.

Two things ..

First .. in 2004-10 there's not 10 million shows streaming.  Lost was very high quality back then.

Second .. and I noticed this as we watched one episode per day for ~5 months .. when you "tune in tomorrow" it's way different than having to wait a week -- or 5 months -- to continue the story after a cliffhanger, of which there are dozens.

When the show was live, it was also a communal event as you'd discuss the episode for a few days after.   When you binge watch, that's not the case.

Nevertheless .. I enjoyed it, and my kids were very much into it.   It's still a pretty good 121 episode story.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #664 on: July 26, 2020, 12:04:02 PM »
Two things ..

First .. in 2004-10 there's not 10 million shows streaming.  Lost was very high quality back then.

Second .. and I noticed this as we watched one episode per day for ~5 months .. when you "tune in tomorrow" it's way different than having to wait a week -- or 5 months -- to continue the story after a cliffhanger, of which there are dozens.

When the show was live, it was also a communal event as you'd discuss the episode for a few days after.   When you binge watch, that's not the case.

Nevertheless .. I enjoyed it, and my kids were very much into it.   It's still a pretty good 121 episode story.

Yup, two things Lost had going for it. They weren't afraid to kill off main characters, that was kind of a shock at the time.

Also, the end of season one when they finally blow open the was talked about endlessly. I didn't even start watching until season 3 because I was too young when it first aired, but I remember "What's in The Hatch?" being talked on a near daily basis.

Lost was just a cultural phenomenon just like Survivor was when it first came out.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:06:55 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #665 on: July 26, 2020, 12:11:41 PM »
Two things ..

This, one of the things that I think makes Stranger Things not quite as good as it could be is that I dont get to debate with people episode to episode. Puzzle box shows really dont work as well if they tell you what's up within a couple of hours real time.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #666 on: July 26, 2020, 10:07:46 PM »
New Last Chance U dropping Tuesday. This time taking place in in Oakland, CA.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #667 on: August 06, 2020, 06:03:30 PM »
Ok .. need some help.

When COVID closed the schools .. my boys (12 and 14) would have lunch, and .. I got them hooked on Lost.   Watched an episode per day, and ~5 months later, we were done.

Next up, was Band of Brothers.   Great, so great.  But that was only 12 episodes and we finished today.

So .. what next?    Band of Brothers checked a lot of boxes, entertaining, sometimes inspirational, and frankly educational.     It's hard to imagine another series like that, but maybe Scoop can come up with something.

Either that, or ok, another series of some sort.   Can't be violent or mom will veto.

Help.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #668 on: August 06, 2020, 08:21:13 PM »
Ok .. need some help.

When COVID closed the schools .. my boys (12 and 14) would have lunch, and .. I got them hooked on Lost.   Watched an episode per day, and ~5 months later, we were done.

Next up, was Band of Brothers.   Great, so great.  But that was only 12 episodes and we finished today.

So .. what next?    Band of Brothers checked a lot of boxes, entertaining, sometimes inspirational, and frankly educational.     It's hard to imagine another series like that, but maybe Scoop can come up with something.

Either that, or ok, another series of some sort.   Can't be violent or mom will veto.

Help.

Not quite as adult, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and Angel) are fun watches. Spooky, funny, quirky, and none of the violence is serious enough that it would be too much for that age range.

If they like sci-fi, Battlestar Galactica is very good. Lots of interesting plot threads along with memorable characters and quotes.

I'd also give a nod to Sports Night. Only two seasons, but fantastic dialogue, character interactions, and a lot of heart. Also a nice memory that once upon a time, sports were a thing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #669 on: August 06, 2020, 08:26:46 PM »
Speaking of Sorkin, 12 and 14 may be a little young but you could always give West Wing a go. It would certainly take up some time at 7 seasons.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #670 on: August 06, 2020, 08:39:37 PM »
Sports Night is my all time favorite sitcom.  My wife has discovered West Wing during COVID.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #671 on: August 06, 2020, 08:41:40 PM »
I haven’t tried this, but apparently you can get all seasons of this old house with subscription these days.  That should last you for at least one pandemic. 

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #672 on: August 06, 2020, 08:44:22 PM »
Happy! On Netflix. Weird, but essentially a cop show.
Umbrella Academy. Weirder X-men. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #673 on: August 06, 2020, 09:06:44 PM »
I. LOVE. Sports Night.  It's a travesty that it was over after 2 seasons.

Happy! On Netflix. Weird, but essentially a cop show.
Umbrella Academy. Weirder X-men. 

I don't think Umbrella Academy would pass the limited violence requirement. But it's a fun watch
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #674 on: August 06, 2020, 09:53:25 PM »
I. LOVE. Sports Night.  It's a travesty that it was over after 2 seasons.

Firefly is the only more egregious premature cancellation in my opinion.

Firefly is another that is worth checking out, though only one season. It's got the space opera flair of Star Wars, except Malcolm Reynolds is much cooler than Han Solo.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.