[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214922 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #600 on: July 03, 2020, 08:02:06 PM »
Every cent I have spent on Disney + these last few months now completely justified.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #601 on: July 03, 2020, 08:06:45 PM »
Every cent I have spent on Disney + these last few months now completely justified.

I mean it was justified with the Imagineering Story. But this was the icing on top.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #602 on: July 03, 2020, 08:08:16 PM »
Actually, the Mandalorian pretty much justified the expense.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #603 on: July 03, 2020, 10:05:02 PM »
Anyone watch Hamilton yet?

I subscribed to Disney+ just for that.

If you have Rakuten, a year is just $55 after rebate.

Just watched it. Very good.

I’m not a Broadway/theater guy so I have no clue, is it common for the playwright to be a lead actor?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #604 on: July 04, 2020, 12:37:58 AM »
Just watched it. Very good.

I’m not a Broadway/theater guy so I have no clue, is it common for the playwright to be a lead actor?

No, it is not common. 

You should find a video of the first time Lin Manuel performed a song from Hamilton.  You know what, I got you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNFf7nMIGnE

He did this, in front of the POTUS... and was sorta laughed at... but he won them over
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 12:41:52 AM by Hards_Alumni »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #605 on: July 04, 2020, 01:06:03 AM »
No, it is not common. 

You should find a video of the first time Lin Manuel performed a song from Hamilton.  You know what, I got you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNFf7nMIGnE

He did this, in front of the POTUS... and was sorta laughed at... but he won them over

That is awesome. The crowd seemed to treat it as if they thought he was joking about writing a hip hop album about Alexander Hamilton and that he wrote just that song for just that night. Little did they know it’d become the 4th highest grossing Broadway musical in the 2010s even though it first opened in 2015 and the top 3 were all around for the entire decade.

I don’t know much about the spoken word or poetry but this guy was just on AGT this week. I really wish he could’ve had the crowd there. Seeing the crowd’s reaction would’ve been great.

https://youtu.be/tdjIFkM-ohQ
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #606 on: July 04, 2020, 06:48:10 AM »
Deep undercover series on Netflix. 3 seasons or so with over 10 episodes,per, but each episode only goes 20-25 minutes. So if you catch yourself power watching it’s easy to turn our the lights after a few, as opposed trying to watch a show like ozark and find yourself up until 3 am wanting to see what happens next. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #607 on: July 04, 2020, 07:37:49 AM »

I know the term is overused, but Lin-Manuel Miranda is a genius. He wrote his first big musical, In The Heights, when he was a sophomore in college.  It won 4 Tonys, including Best Musical.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #608 on: July 04, 2020, 09:26:08 AM »
Yup, Lin-Maunuel Miranda is a genius. He’s going to go down as one of the best artists of this generation, and Hamilton will probably be one of the all time great works of art when it’s all said and done.

Now with that being said, as Hards kind of mentioned, Lin, while an incredible writer, is not a natural performer. My one controversial opinion about Hamilton is that Miguel Cervantes (Guy who played Hamilton in the Chicago production) is a much better Hamilton then Lin.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #609 on: July 04, 2020, 10:24:05 AM »
I am amusing myself watching some of the old live-action Disney movies my parents took us to watch at the drive-in when I was a kid.

Current selection:  "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" (1969) starring a teenage Kurt Russell as a college student that gets electrocuted by a computer and becomes a genius.  Some of the dialogue has not aged well.

Dean:  "I'm sorry, Professor, a computer is a luxury this college can't afford!"

Professor "Did you realize that State offers an entire course in computer technology?"
Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #610 on: July 04, 2020, 10:49:35 PM »
Don't have much to add. Watched Hamilton tonight. Incredible.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #611 on: July 04, 2020, 11:34:02 PM »
I was going to have the kids watch Independence Day (again) and they said they wanted to see ID2 instead.

I'd forgotten how unbelievably awful that movie is.   Wow, bad bad.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #612 on: July 05, 2020, 10:30:15 AM »
Anyone watch Hamilton yet?

I did, two main thoughts:

Was that a live show? They had the crowd noise, but how on earth did they get those close-ups? Just really good cameras set back? Incredibly well done for a Broadway-to-small screen conversion.

Second, and this might be unpopular, but Lin-Manuel Miranda is not the best Hamilton. He was fine, but the Chicago performer, Miguel Cervantes, projects better and to me had a bit more command of the role. I also enjoyed the King George III from the Chicago performance (Alexander Gemignani) better. He just has a bit more snark to his portrayal that really made me love and hate KGIII a bit more.

Regardless, I'll watch it again. Really glad to have it on D+.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #613 on: July 05, 2020, 11:07:46 AM »
https://www.broadway.com/buzz/199494/bit-of-a-day-lin-manuel-miranda-on-making-the-hamilton-movie-in-three-days-his-next-disney-gig/

They filmed a Sunday matinee.    Monday is usually their day off.     As soon as the Sunday show was over, they started doing close ups and dolly shots.     This continued through Monday.    Then they filmed the Tuesday night show.     So, two shows and about 15 hours of close ups and dolly work.     
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 12:22:35 PM by tower912 »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #614 on: July 05, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
I was going to have the kids watch Independence Day (again) and they said they wanted to see ID2 instead.

I'd forgotten how unbelievably awful that movie is.   Wow, bad bad.

"it's the 4th of July, let's make some fireworks"

Possibly the worst line I'd ever heard in a movie

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #615 on: July 05, 2020, 02:01:21 PM »
Second, and this might be unpopular, but Lin-Manuel Miranda is not the best Hamilton. He was fine, but the Chicago performer, Miguel Cervantes, projects better and to me had a bit more command of the role. I also enjoyed the King George III from the Chicago performance (Alexander Gemignani) better. He just has a bit more snark to his portrayal that really made me love and hate KGIII a bit more.

Regardless, I'll watch it again. Really glad to have it on D+.

Look like 4 posts above you buddy  ;)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #616 on: July 05, 2020, 03:40:42 PM »
I get this tweet and the replies.

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1279639780276367360

I didn't hate Hamilton.  I liked the experience.  Both my wife and I remarked that we understood maybe a third of the words.  Not that the sound was bad, it was just a firehose of language your brain needs to process.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #617 on: July 05, 2020, 04:35:52 PM »

I didn't hate Hamilton.  I liked the experience.  Both my wife and I remarked that we understood maybe a third of the words.  Not that the sound was bad, it was just a firehose of language your brain needs to process.
Yeah it took me a while to really understand many of the words too. A friend told me he watched with subtitles which I thought in hindsight was a pretty good idea and one I may try if I watch it again.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #618 on: July 05, 2020, 04:53:13 PM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #619 on: July 05, 2020, 05:46:36 PM »

Watched for the first time today. (hadn't seen live either)

I watched with captions. Helped a lot.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #620 on: July 05, 2020, 08:12:59 PM »
Seeing Leslie Odom Jr. sing “Wait for it” was awesome.

I enjoyed the movie and loved seei the musical in person. Interesting to see the facial expressions versus being further away in the theater.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #621 on: July 06, 2020, 08:55:39 AM »
Sunderland 'til I Die.  Season 2.  Just six episodes, and if you know how their season ended last year...

Watched the first few episodes of Season 1. I'd been putting it off. Didn't think I'd be all that interested, I was wrong. Very well done.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #622 on: July 06, 2020, 08:58:49 AM »

Yep. It was exhausting trying to keep up with it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #623 on: July 06, 2020, 09:01:45 AM »
Watched the first few episodes of Season 1. I'd been putting it off. Didn't think I'd be all that interested, I was wrong. Very well done.

Season 2 is also interesting.  Especially when you read what has occurred since.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #624 on: July 06, 2020, 09:57:38 AM »
Watched “The Great” on Hulu. Dramedy about Catherine the Great’s first years in Russia. Brilliantly done. We didn’t know what to expect and chose it for the historical aspect, but it was hilarious and fantastically paced and framed. Very British humor in a lot of the delivery, but the modern sort, not the dry fashion of the 70s and 80s that people have trouble getting around.  Very impressive cast as well

feedback