collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214264 times)

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #550 on: May 26, 2020, 11:38:26 AM »
I wouldn't want to get anywhere near that water even without a pandemic.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #551 on: June 02, 2020, 08:37:13 AM »
Finished the first season of "Never Have I Ever" on Netflix. First thoughts at the beginning were the few cultural similarities to "Bend it like Beckham"...enjoyed it.

Finished final season of "Homeland" a few weeks back. I was pleases overall with the Final Season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #552 on: June 02, 2020, 09:06:34 AM »
Finished the first season of "Never Have I Ever" on Netflix. First thoughts at the beginning were the few cultural similarities to "Bend it like Beckham"...enjoyed it.

I started watching it but got bored midway through the first episode. It seemed very ordinary and cliche. But a couple friends told me to give it another chance and I'm glad I did. It wasn't a great show, but it wasn't bad. It was an easy, fast watch (10 short episodes), I learned a few things about another culture, and the lead actress did a very nice job (as did a few others).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #553 on: June 02, 2020, 10:12:13 AM »
I started watching it but got bored midway through the first episode. It seemed very ordinary and cliche. But a couple friends told me to give it another chance and I'm glad I did. It wasn't a great show, but it wasn't bad. It was an easy, fast watch (10 short episodes), I learned a few things about another culture, and the lead actress did a very nice job (as did a few others).

Yep. I had to give it a couple of tries at the beginning as well. But once i was past that, it was a nice show that covers some challenging topics in a lighthearted positive way, which is tricky to do. It's very loosely based on Mindy Kaling's life and experiences. (i am perhaps one of the few less familiar with her work as I did not watch "The Office" or the "Mindy Kaling Project") She wanted to modernize it for today and brought in some younger writers to help with that.

She apparently ran into John McEnroe in an elevator once and very randomly asked him to do the narrating. Her parents were big fans of his apparently. It certainly made me think of a few friends and their life experiences. It has some room to grow next season.

*Funny little side bar, in high school, I had a close friend named Marry Ann. One of her good friends was often referenced but I hadn't met yet for whatever reason at the time. "Dave" or so I heard. Dave this and that. I had a little chuckle when I met "Dave"...Dave was "Dev" as in Devyani, not too far off from the main character's name and nickname.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:44:02 AM by shoothoops »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #554 on: June 02, 2020, 01:33:55 PM »
Anyone watching "Space Force"? 

I saw the first episode and thought it was surprisingly devoid of laughs given its stellar cast (Jane Lynch as a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff? Sign me up!).

Does it get any better?
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #555 on: June 02, 2020, 02:59:02 PM »

I saw the first episode and thought it was surprisingly devoid of laughs given its stellar cast (Jane Lynch as a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff? Sign me up!).

Does it get any better?

Saved at the top of My List but have not had a chance to view an episode yet.

From what I read on the show, it cautioned viewers that Steve Carrel's character is NOT Michael Scott in the Space Force FWIW.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #556 on: June 02, 2020, 03:57:37 PM »
I am tearing through The Last Kingdom. Very good.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #557 on: June 02, 2020, 04:16:50 PM »

My wife and I enjoyed that show a lot.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #558 on: June 02, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »

Watching that now too.  Enjoying it and stays pretty close to the books

MU82

• All American
« Reply #559 on: June 02, 2020, 04:20:55 PM »

Does it get any better?

My wife and I have watched the first two episodes. It has some chuckles and a laugh or two, especially for those who like jokes at the expense of one certain American, but in general we've had the same feeling you do.

We laugh much more while watching just about any Schitt's Creek.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #560 on: June 02, 2020, 05:10:00 PM »
Didn’t see it mentioned yet but Morning Show on apple+ is pretty good. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #561 on: June 02, 2020, 10:08:57 PM »

One of my favorite netflix originals. Very well done.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #562 on: June 02, 2020, 10:13:30 PM »
After several recommendations I finally watched Veep. I really enjoyed the first three seasons. Somewhere in season four I started to get less excited about it. By the end, I was ready for it to be over so I could watch another show. I think the problem for me was that at the beginning I was cheering for Meyer to be successful....by the middle I was rooting to see her fail. Guess it adds to the realism, that's what happens with most politicians!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #563 on: June 02, 2020, 10:25:49 PM »
I'm watching my weight, B.P., and bank account.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #564 on: June 03, 2020, 11:04:05 AM »
One of my favorite netflix originals. Very well done.

And pretty good with historical accuracy. HOWEVA, any attempts to do a fun little Wiki dive to read more about characters or events in the show will explode your brain  ;D  So many similar names and tabs to open. I had about 20 tabs open during season 3 and just gave up

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #565 on: June 03, 2020, 11:09:25 AM »
After several recommendations I finally watched Veep. I really enjoyed the first three seasons. Somewhere in season four I started to get less excited about it. By the end, I was ready for it to be over so I could watch another show.

I've tried with Veep, and for whatever reason I just couldn't get into it. I think JLD is great, just didn't do it for me.

Just started season three of The Wire. So far it's been as good as advertised.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #566 on: June 03, 2020, 11:17:31 AM »
I've tried with Veep, and for whatever reason I just couldn't get into it. I think JLD is great, just didn't do it for me.

Just started season three of The Wire. So far it's been as good as advertised.

The Wire is so good, and IMHO season 4 is one of the great seasons of television ever. I won't give you any spoilers, other than to say you will really like season 3 and you will love season 4.

Loved Veep, though I agree with TAMU that it wasn't as good in the latter couple of seasons. We'd still laugh quite a bit, but we didn't have to actually pause it and go back because our laughing made us miss the next line, as happened often the first few seasons.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #567 on: June 03, 2020, 11:20:02 AM »
And pretty good with historical accuracy. HOWEVA, any attempts to do a fun little Wiki dive to read more about characters or events in the show will explode your brain  ;D  So many similar names and tabs to open. I had about 20 tabs open during season 3 and just gave up

Æ dont know whæt you're tælking æbout.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #568 on: June 03, 2020, 01:38:49 PM »
On Season 7 of Homeland. I had watched the 1st two seasons years ago when I had Showtime. Just re-started watching it on HULU a few weeks ago.

The show is outstanding. Some seasons are better than others, but there have been no weak seasons like what happens on most shows. The show is very apropos to the times we are living in.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #569 on: June 03, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »
On Season 7 of Homeland. I had watched the 1st two seasons years ago when I had Showtime. Just re-started watching it on HULU a few weeks ago.

The show is outstanding. Some seasons are better than others, but there have been no weak seasons like what happens on most shows. The show is very apropos to the times we are living in.

Agree to disagree on this. It’s gotten back on its feet, but post-Brody they had no idea what to do and made it a human interest story about Carrie being unstable and her bipolar struggles and it was not great TV. But they brought it back around.  Claire Danes is obviously very good, but Mandy Patinkin is the catalyst for that shows success IMO

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #570 on: June 03, 2020, 04:24:00 PM »
Agree to disagree on this. It’s gotten back on its feet, but post-Brody they had no idea what to do and made it a human interest story about Carrie being unstable and her bipolar struggles and it was not great TV. But they brought it back around.  Claire Danes is obviously very good, but Mandy Patinkin is the catalyst for that shows success IMO

I agree to disagree.  8-)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:07:52 PM by Jockey »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #571 on: June 03, 2020, 09:59:22 PM »
I was glad Homeland had a very strong finish. This season was very good, and the last several episodes especially so.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #572 on: June 04, 2020, 08:05:09 AM »

We laugh much more while watching just about any Schitt's Creek.

When's the final Season 6 available?  The wife and recently finished and there are a lot of burst out loud laugh moments in that show. 
"I was at this party with Jared Leto......"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #573 on: June 04, 2020, 08:14:26 AM »
When's the final Season 6 available?  The wife and recently finished and there are a lot of burst out loud laugh moments in that show. 
"I was at this party with Jared Leto......"

All I've heard is maybe by fall. We still need the time to catch up; we're midway through season 4 now.

My daughter loves this show and she recommended it to us. We watched the first couple of episodes and, for whatever reason, it didn't resonate. But then at least a half-dozen of my friends said we had to give it another shot and I'm glad we did. We chuckle through every episode and, as you say, we have at least 1-2 big laughs every time.

My personal favorite parts are the interactions between David and Stevie. just about every one of them cracks me up. But there's so much funny stuff otherwise. And before we started watching, I had wondered what had become of Chris Elliott. I was a big Dave Letterman fan decades ago, and his appearances were always hilarious.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #574 on: June 04, 2020, 09:15:21 AM »

My personal favorite parts are the interactions between David and Stevie. just about every one of them cracks me up. But there's so much funny stuff otherwise. And before we started watching, I had wondered what had become of Chris Elliott. I was a big Dave Letterman fan decades ago, and his appearances were always hilarious.

Everytime he's on screen I have to annoy my wife by saying "I remember watching him on David Letterman as his sidekick."

feedback