collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214868 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #375 on: April 03, 2020, 08:01:52 AM »
Sunderland 'til I Die.  Season 2.  Just six episodes, and if you know how their season ended last year...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #376 on: April 03, 2020, 09:16:53 AM »
Sunderland 'til I Die.  Season 2.  Just six episodes, and if you know how their season ended last year...

The Amazon-made Tottenham documentary for this past season is going to be absolutely drama-filled.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #377 on: April 04, 2020, 07:53:42 AM »
Agreed on all counts. Though I will add that Season 1 was among the best seasons of television I personally have seen. Season 2 was high quality but not the masterpiece that season 1 was. Season 3 is almost to season 1's level IMHO. I have seen many shows that have great opening seasons only to quickly fizzle in subsequent seasons. Ozark's consistency for the first three seasons has been impressive. Excited for more.

Finished up last night. Wrapped up the season very well while leaving plenty of cliffhangers for season 4.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #378 on: April 04, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »
Same rewatching both planet earth series

Absolutely gorgeous cinematography. You prefer Attenborough or Weaver?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #379 on: April 04, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »

That’s next after Hunters. I loved the first season and man, what a miserable fan base and a city that makes Detroit look like like San Diego
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:15:30 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #380 on: April 04, 2020, 07:09:23 PM »
Tonight watching one of my all time favorites. “Lone Star”. Movie from the mid 90s. One of Matthew McConaughey’s first.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #381 on: April 04, 2020, 11:21:55 PM »
OK, I finished Ozark. Mild spoilers ahead ...

I will say that I was not stunned by the ending, in part because of the little bit I had read here. It's not TAMU's fault, but him saying, "Season's ending was perfect" made me think about midway through the episode that what eventually happened was what was gonna happen. It was still a great ending to a fine season. A logical ending, too.

I thought this season started a little slowly but really picked up steam when Marty was tortured in episode 4. That wasn't always easy to watch, but I loved Marty's eventual reaction.

All in all, I thought the season was very good. As some have said, just a tick behind 1 but better than 2 -- and 2 was pretty darn good.

I agree with those who weren't thrilled with Ben's character. Most of the season, he bothered me. But as I said to my wife while watching episode 9, "He's kind of grown on me these last couple of episodes." I thought the actor who played him, Tom Pelphrey, was pretty blah the first 6-7 episodes, almost sounded like he was reading his lines at times. But late in the season, I thought he was quite believable as a bipolar guy whose world suddenly was crumbling around him.

As usual, Julia Garner's star shined brightly, but I also loved Janet McTeer as Helen; really came off as wonderfully sinister, though we also got to see her vulnerable side in the way she protected her daughter. (She also was very good in Damages on FX several years back.) I also thought both the Charlotte and Jonah characters came into their own very nicely; I was especially impressed with the actress who played Charlotte.

And how 'bout that March-November romance? Amazing. Wyatt meets Ben for the first time and, totally deadpan, asks Ruth: "Isn't he a little old for you?" That's great stuff.

Bummed that we're done watching Season 3 -- wanted more! Already looking forward to Season 4.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

nyg

• All American
« Reply #382 on: April 05, 2020, 06:39:15 AM »
OK, I finished Ozark. Mild spoilers ahead ...

I will say that I was not stunned by the ending, in part because of the little bit I had read here. It's not TAMU's fault, but him saying, "Season's ending was perfect" made me think about midway through the episode that what eventually happened was what was gonna happen. It was still a great ending to a fine season. A logical ending, too.

I thought this season started a little slowly but really picked up steam when Marty was tortured in episode 4. That wasn't always easy to watch, but I loved Marty's eventual reaction.

All in all, I thought the season was very good. As some have said, just a tick behind 1 but better than 2 -- and 2 was pretty darn good.

I agree with those who weren't thrilled with Ben's character. Most of the season, he bothered me. But as I said to my wife while watching episode 9, "He's kind of grown on me these last couple of episodes." I thought the actor who played him, Tom Pelphrey, was pretty blah the first 6-7 episodes, almost sounded like he was reading his lines at times. But late in the season, I thought he was quite believable as a bipolar guy whose world suddenly was crumbling around him.

As usual, Julia Garner's star shined brightly, but I also loved Janet McTeer as Helen; really came off as wonderfully sinister, though we also got to see her vulnerable side in the way she protected her daughter. (She also was very good in Damages on FX several years back.) I also thought both the Charlotte and Jonah characters came into their own very nicely; I was especially impressed with the actress who played Charlotte.

And how 'bout that March-November romance? Amazing. Wyatt meets Ben for the first time and, totally deadpan, asks Ruth: "Isn't he a little old for you?" That's great stuff.

Bummed that we're done watching Season 3 -- wanted more! Already looking forward to Season 4.

Good review.  The writing and acting are just superior to almost any show on TV.  Every character is so believable and the supporting cast actors, such as Darlene, Wyatt, Frank, Jim, etc. are so commendable.  Bateman won an Emmy last year for directing, but never won for his acting.  Maybe this year, but Linney will probably be a favorite because she was awesome.

I agree with the character Ben, he was sort of annoying to begin, but at the end, his vulnerabilities were shown and man that actor got a lot of talking lines throughout the show for a supporting role.  Probably another Emmy nomination. 

The tantalizing aspect of Ozark and its writing is that it goes two episodes, Marty has a problem and you say, "Good grief, how is he going to get out of this". Another two episodes and the same.  Just fantastic. Looks like two more confirmed seasons.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #384 on: April 05, 2020, 09:32:04 AM »
Netflix- all American isn’t bad

Power watching the league 8 seasons with approx 13 or so episodes per on Hulu commercial free so 22 min/episode

Ozark. Trying to go slow but damn that’s a good one

Old Tom n jerry reruns are always great for an escape

Netflix- how to fix a drug scandal-that created a legal nightmare is the understatement of the decade. Never knew that occurred but would love to hear the lawyers on the board’s thoughts on this one. And where they are at with it now, lawsuits beget lawsuits, releasing “nonviolent offenders” etc
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #386 on: April 05, 2020, 11:18:49 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous cinematography. You prefer Attenborough or Weaver?

Attenborough for sure.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #387 on: April 05, 2020, 01:03:45 PM »
Good review.  The writing and acting are just superior to almost any show on TV.  Every character is so believable and the supporting cast actors, such as Darlene, Wyatt, Frank, Jim, etc. are so commendable.  Bateman won an Emmy last year for directing, but never won for his acting.  Maybe this year, but Linney will probably be a favorite because she was awesome.

I agree with the character Ben, he was sort of annoying to begin, but at the end, his vulnerabilities were shown and man that actor got a lot of talking lines throughout the show for a supporting role.  Probably another Emmy nomination. 

The tantalizing aspect of Ozark and its writing is that it goes two episodes, Marty has a problem and you say, "Good grief, how is he going to get out of this". Another two episodes and the same.  Just fantastic. Looks like two more confirmed seasons.

Yeah ... my mini review hardly even mentioned the acting of the two leads! I guess I was thinking their performances speak for themselves. Totally agree with what you said about both. Linney was especially good this season, I thought, and she's one of those actors who is always good.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #388 on: April 05, 2020, 04:49:17 PM »
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #389 on: April 05, 2020, 10:14:31 PM »
Yeah ... my mini review hardly even mentioned the acting of the two leads! I guess I was thinking their performances speak for themselves. Totally agree with what you said about both. Linney was especially good this season, I thought, and she's one of those actors who is always good.

If Ozark keeps this quality for a couple more years, it will rank up there with The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, etc.

Season 1 was great, Season 2 was pretty good, but I thought Season 3 ranked up there with any season of the great shows.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #390 on: April 06, 2020, 12:25:42 AM »
Saul continues to be great.

Starting Ozark after this season of Saul ends. Narcos after that.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #391 on: April 06, 2020, 08:41:53 AM »
I started watching Election with my daughters on Saturday night.  I had forgotten how many scenes there were in that movie that were...ummm...awkward to watch with your children.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #392 on: April 06, 2020, 10:07:17 AM »
I started watching Election with my daughters on Saturday night.  I had forgotten how many scenes there were in that movie that were...ummm...awkward to watch with your children.

Just recorded that, love that movie. Just watched Sixteen Candles with my sons (16/13). Needless to say that movie didn’t age well. They nearly had whiplash when hearing someone called the other F word.

I’m a history and a food guy, just watched a couple episodes of Eating History on History Channel. Pretty neat show, only 30 mins. Also, about to start Dark Side of the Ring season two on VICE, I liked season one and am not a big wrestling fan.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #393 on: April 06, 2020, 10:15:50 AM »

Starting Ozark after this season of Saul ends. Narcos after that.

Narcos is fantastic.  Season 1-2 are obviously great around Escobar, Season 3 manages to continue the story without missing a beat.  But for my money, Narcos: Mexico that came out after season 3 is even better.  A much more interesting story to current events and the acting chops are superlative with Diego Luna, Scoot McNairy, and Michael Pena

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #394 on: April 06, 2020, 10:28:09 AM »
This season of Brockmire is a little too on the nose right now. Tough timing for them to begin it in the middle of a pandemic.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #395 on: April 06, 2020, 11:06:10 AM »
Narcos is fantastic.  Season 1-2 are obviously great around Escobar, Season 3 manages to continue the story without missing a beat.  But for my money, Narcos: Mexico that came out after season 3 is even better.  A much more interesting story to current events and the acting chops are superlative with Diego Luna, Scoot McNairy, and Michael Pena

Try ZeroZeroZero on Prime. Show has 3 different angles on the drug trade going on at the same time. Cartel in Mexico, Mafia in Italy, and drug middlemen in New Orleans. Show has a similar feel of Narcos Mexico.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #396 on: April 06, 2020, 11:08:39 AM »
Burned through "Unabomber - In His Own Words" on Netflix last night.  Only four episodes.  Interesting stuff. 
Ludum habemus.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #397 on: April 06, 2020, 11:14:22 AM »

I have no idea why -- must have been we were distracted by other shows? -- but my wife and I stopped watching Saul after Season 4, Episode 3.

A few weeks ago, I said: "Let's start watching it again," but she didn't really want to. So I've been catching up myself. Watched Season 4 from the beginning on Netflix and have been watching this season on AMC. Watched Season 5 Episode 6 last night, so I'm only 1 behind.

It's a great series, and I've really enjoyed the gradual introduction and/or role expansion of Breaking Bad characters. Jimmy/Saul's lawyer antics sometimes are cartoonishly unbelievable, but that's part of the fun.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #398 on: April 06, 2020, 11:16:25 AM »
Try ZeroZeroZero on Prime. Show has 3 different angles on the drug trade going on at the same time. Cartel in Mexico, Mafia in Italy, and drug middlemen in New Orleans. Show has a similar feel of Narcos Mexico.

Appreciate the reco, will def check it out

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #399 on: April 06, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »
This. Narcos Mexico is much better in my opinion. Teresa Ruiz, enough said.