collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 210877 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #350 on: March 30, 2020, 12:08:07 PM »
Two Popes is great.

English game is decent. Worth a watch.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #351 on: March 30, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »
To ger away from Covid, I was watching the replay of Duke Butler, and lo and behold the cut into the last couple minutes with the President...grrrr. Oh, and I still dislike Jon Scheyer.

I was rewatching "Guru of Go" yesterday. Hank had just died and the NCAA Tournament was starting when they broke in to air the propaganda hour.  Grrr!

My first time at LMU I walked out to the spot where Hank collapsed and just looked up at the "Hank's House" banner remembering that whole time (my HS number was 44, partially chosen for Hank). I had to explain the whole thing to our players.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #352 on: March 30, 2020, 01:24:58 PM »
The Athletic came out with a top 100 list of sports movies.

Many, many good ones. Some glaring omissions. Not a fan of the order.

Some I would add include "89 Blocks" "All The Right Moves" "Victory" a handful or more other ones. Many might not have seen the documentary "89 Blocks" which is the number of streets in East St. Louis and the story of their highly successful football program during tough off the field circumstances.

https://theathletic.com/1703442/2020/03/30/the-athletics-top-100-sports-movies?source=shared-article

MU82

• All American
« Reply #353 on: March 30, 2020, 01:56:27 PM »
The Athletic came out with a top 100 list of sports movies.

Many, many good ones. Some glaring omissions. Not a fan of the order.

Some I would add include "89 Blocks" "All The Right Moves" "Victory" a handful or more other ones. Many might not have seen the documentary "89 Blocks" which is the number of streets in East St. Louis and the story of their highly successful football program during tough off the field circumstances.

https://theathletic.com/1703442/2020/03/30/the-athletics-top-100-sports-movies?source=shared-article

I saw this. It was a conversation starter, a relaxing way to waste an hour.

To me, the most glaring omission was The Naked Gun, which IMHO had more hilarious baseball scenes than any movie ever.

FWIW (not much), I did a similar list (though only top 10) for publication way back in 2001. I had Hoop Dreams at No. 1, Raging Bull at 2 and Rocky at 5. (The Athletic had them at 3, 2 and 1, respectively.)

The only film since 2001 that I know for sure would have cracked my top 10 was The Wrestler. Mickey Rourke not winning the Oscar that year was a crime -- hell, even the guy who won it (Sean Penn, for Milk) said Rourke should have.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:55:19 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #354 on: March 30, 2020, 03:38:38 PM »
I saw this. It was a conversation starter, a relaxing way to waste an hour.

To me, the most glaring omission was The Naked Gun, which IMHO had more hilarious baseball scenes than any movie ever.

FWIW (not much), I did a similar list (though only top 10) for publication way back in 2001. I had Hoop Dreams at No. 1, Raging Bull at 2 and Rocky at 5. (The Athletic had them at 3, 2 and 5, respectively.)

The only film since 2001 that I know for sure would have cracked my top 10 was The Wrestler. Mickey Rourke not winning the Oscar that year was a crime -- hell, even the guy who won it (Sean Penn, for Milk) said Rourke should have.

Many good ones with their list. 89 Blocks gets a high rec from me, especially if you enjoyed "Hoop Dreams".....I recommend the book by Kevin Horrigan entitled "The Right Kind of Heroes" to go along with it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #355 on: March 30, 2020, 06:56:20 PM »
Many good ones with their list. 89 Blocks gets a high rec from me, especially if you enjoyed "Hoop Dreams".....I recommend the book by Kevin Horrigan entitled "The Right Kind of Heroes" to go along with it.

Thanks, shoot. I had never heard of 89 Blocks. I'll have to try to check it out (and the book too).

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #356 on: March 30, 2020, 07:16:18 PM »
Thanks, shoot. I had never heard of 89 Blocks. I'll have to try to check it out (and the book too).

Yep. The book covers both the 1990 and 1991 seasons. The central figure is Bob Shannon, (the school, program and city) their legendary coach a few decades that had an 85% winning percentage.

"89 Blocks" the movie covers the 2016 season under coach Darren Sunkett.

No spoilers from me about how they go but it's worth the time. 👍

Come for the great football, stay for the life stories and the answer to the question: What side?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:17:23 PM by shoothoops »

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #357 on: March 31, 2020, 08:10:16 PM »
Ozark Season 3 is excellent as is the entire series.
great season

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #358 on: April 01, 2020, 09:12:19 PM »
Finishing up Season 4 Better Call Saul on Netflix. The Huel storyline with the website is absolutely hilarious.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #359 on: April 01, 2020, 10:10:35 PM »
Finishing up Season 4 Better Call Saul on Netflix. The Huel storyline with the website is absolutely hilarious.

Huell is a rock star. He had a great bit on the most recent episode.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #360 on: April 01, 2020, 10:28:32 PM »
With this latest season, Ozark has risen into one of my top shows of all time. So so so good. Season's ending was perfect
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #361 on: April 01, 2020, 11:38:35 PM »
With this latest season, Ozark has risen into one of my top shows of all time. So so so good. Season's ending was perfect

Don't talk about the season's ending, please!!!!!!!!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #362 on: April 02, 2020, 12:04:30 AM »
Don't talk about the season's ending, please!!!!!!!!!

Won't say any more about it other than the last episode was perfect IMHO.
TAMU

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #363 on: April 02, 2020, 05:57:04 AM »
Won't say any more about it other than the last episode was perfect IMHO.

I agree.  I paused the final episode just before it finished, noticing there were only about 4 minutes left and asked my wife how can they wrap up the season in 4 minutes.

Boy, did they wrap it up.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #364 on: April 02, 2020, 07:10:52 AM »
My son recently got us started watching, How I Met Your Mother.  That's a pretty long-running show that I had never seen.  We're enjoying it. I have my doubts that we'll make it though 200+ episodes, but for now it's a nice diversion.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #365 on: April 02, 2020, 07:59:51 AM »
My son recently got us started watching, How I Met Your Mother.  That's a pretty long-running show that I had never seen.  We're enjoying it. I have my doubts that we'll make it though 200+ episodes, but for now it's a nice diversion.

Fantastic for about 4 maybe 5 seasons but that shows last two and a half seasons were some of the worst tv worse than post Michael Scott office bad and the ending was absolutely horrific.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #366 on: April 02, 2020, 08:51:51 AM »
There'a new dynamic at home trying to watch shows & movies as a family.
With daughter 1 home from college, and daughter 2 disagreeing on what to watch and we end up like watching nothing because there are 4 different opinions.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #367 on: April 02, 2020, 08:58:32 AM »
Fantastic for about 4 maybe 5 seasons but that shows last two and a half seasons were some of the worst tv worse than post Michael Scott office bad and the ending was absolutely horrific.

My son did mention that the finale was awful.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #368 on: April 02, 2020, 12:07:53 PM »
I've been watching and enjoying some nature and space documentaries lately. Anybody else getting their science class on?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #369 on: April 02, 2020, 12:13:11 PM »
I've been watching and enjoying some nature and space documentaries lately. Anybody else getting their science class on?

Same rewatching both planet earth series
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #370 on: April 02, 2020, 12:30:16 PM »

I'm through eight episodes. Better than season 2, not as good as season 1.
What's prevented it from being exceptional is how painfully contrived the Ben plotline has been. Hope that's wrapped up in the last two better than it's been laid out in the first eight.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #371 on: April 02, 2020, 01:52:06 PM »
What's prevented it from being exceptional is how painfully contrived the Ben plotline has been. Hope that's wrapped up in the last two better than it's been laid out in the first eight.

Agreed on all counts. Though I will add that Season 1 was among the best seasons of television I personally have seen. Season 2 was high quality but not the masterpiece that season 1 was. Season 3 is almost to season 1's level IMHO. I have seen many shows that have great opening seasons only to quickly fizzle in subsequent seasons. Ozark's consistency for the first three seasons has been impressive. Excited for more.
TAMU

🏀

• All American
« Reply #372 on: April 02, 2020, 02:03:29 PM »

Finished last night. These are my exact thoughts.

Also, much like I thought Skyler White was pushed too much in Breaking Bad. Wendy Byrde is in that category.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #373 on: April 02, 2020, 09:46:22 PM »
Dirty money season 2 is interesting to say the least.

There are some super scummy people in this world. And our society apparently has some super screwed up priorities.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #374 on: April 03, 2020, 07:55:48 AM »
And last night brought an extreme change of pace from HIMYM. I watched the first three installments of Little Fires Everywhere on Hulu.  I knew nothing of this book before starting. It's set here locally, which is kind of fun...particularly to pick out things that they are getting wrong, naturally.  Given the opening scene, I have a pretty good idea where it's going, but I'm not sure how it's going to get there.  Regarding the "mood" -- I'd say that they've got "foreboding" pretty well nailed.