[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 210958 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #325 on: March 26, 2020, 10:31:20 PM »
I figure since we were supposed to be on our spring break cruise today, tonight's cultural education for my kids was .. Titanic.

True story: One of the days I was on my Caribbean cruise, the captain comes on and makes his announcements just as the theme from Titanic was playing over the loudspeakers by the pool.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #326 on: March 27, 2020, 08:29:37 PM »
Finished Tiger King, a silver lining in our quarantine. But boy do we need sports back.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #327 on: March 28, 2020, 06:52:41 AM »
I've gone back to watching Jeopardy every night.  Have t watched like this in 20 years.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #328 on: March 28, 2020, 09:36:02 AM »
Ozark Season 3 is excellent as is the entire series.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #329 on: March 28, 2020, 10:18:03 AM »

I started last night hoping to knock out a couple during nap time.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #330 on: March 28, 2020, 11:21:41 AM »
The actress who plays Jason Bateman’s wife (Laura Linney) is married to Marc Schauer who lived on my floor freshman year at McCormick.

He left after sophomore year but we reconnected through social media. Even freshman year he showed signs of being a legendary swordsman.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #331 on: March 28, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »
The actress who plays Jason Bateman’s wife (Laura Linney) is married to Marc Schauer who lived on my floor freshman year at McCormick.

He left after sophomore year but we reconnected through social media. Even freshman year he showed signs of being a legendary swordsman.

Nice degrees-of-separation mention there!

Enjoyed episode 1 last night.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #332 on: March 28, 2020, 02:59:54 PM »

Interesting. I am mostly familiar with Linney's work from "Breach" "Absolute Power" and "Primal Fear" all good films in addition to Ozark.

It's interesting for me because in a past life, we had a house on the Lake (People just say "Lake" as in are you going to the Lake this weekend when referring to Lake of The Ozarks). So I am familiar with much of the inside lingo such as "Party Cove" which is a real place on the Lake that can get pretty raucous, and where clothing is sometimes optional. ...or when they mention names of buildings, places, or even drop unique references from Stl or KC or wherever. .

Once I heard the name of the show, location, plot, Jason Bateman, etc...it was a pretty easy no brainer for mer to give it a try.

Much of the show is filmed in Georgia for tax breaks where they try to replicate some of the coves, bluffs, and serpentine shapes.

I know the journalist Bill Geist recently wrote a book about his childhood spending his summers there at the working at the Lake. But I haven't read it yet.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 03:06:57 PM by shoothoops »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #333 on: March 28, 2020, 06:33:32 PM »
Interesting. I am mostly familiar with Linney's work from "Breach" "Absolute Power" and "Primal Fear" all good films in addition to Ozark.

It's interesting for me because in a past life, we had a house on the Lake (People just say "Lake" as in are you going to the Lake this weekend when referring to Lake of The Ozarks). So I am familiar with much of the inside lingo such as "Party Cove" which is a real place on the Lake that can get pretty raucous, and where clothing is sometimes optional. ...or when they mention names of buildings, places, or even drop unique references from Stl or KC or wherever. .

Once I heard the name of the show, location, plot, Jason Bateman, etc...it was a pretty easy no brainer for mer to give it a try.

Much of the show is filmed in Georgia for tax breaks where they try to replicate some of the coves, bluffs, and serpentine shapes.

I know the journalist Bill Geist recently wrote a book about his childhood spending his summers there at the working at the Lake. But I haven't read it yet.

Pretty sure party cove is gone, after they banned the big houseboats.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #334 on: March 28, 2020, 08:14:24 PM »
Pretty sure party cove is gone, after they banned the big houseboats.

It technically never closed but it isn't the same. Peak times were the 80's, 90's, and even 00's. Many things changed. Similar to college campuses that are less catered to dozens of bars, the environment there is catered to a different crowd. Some incidents, a few drownings, boating accidents, increased Missouri Water Patrol presence etc...changed some things and shifted towards waterfront bars and restaurants. It's no longer thousands of boats, but more like a few hundred or more.  It's no longer the Wild West and much more diverse with age, interests, industry etc...

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #335 on: March 28, 2020, 08:41:00 PM »
It technically never closed but it isn't the same. Peak times were the 80's, 90's, and even 00's. Many things changed. Similar to college campuses that are less catered to dozens of bars, the environment there is catered to a different crowd. Some incidents, a few drownings, boating accidents, increased Missouri Water Patrol presence etc...changed some things and shifted towards waterfront bars and restaurants. It's no longer thousands of boats, but more like a few hundred or more.  It's no longer the Wild West and much more diverse with age, interests, industry etc...

There’s a massive CLE conference every year in Lake of the Ozarks. Nothing like thousands of attorneys coming in to kill off all of the fun.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2020, 09:13:02 PM »

Great show!  Saw episodes 1 & 2 last night  episodes 3, 4, ...hard to put away, but it can get a little heavy. Nice opening- cartel dude puts a knife thru a dudes hand spins him around and slits his throat, goes to back room where 2 dudes are counting shoe boxes of money, ties bombs around their necks-kaboom money flying out everywhere, leaves a bomb on a dolly to explode within the crowd of people grabbing money falling out of the sky...whoa boy here we go...
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2020, 09:24:52 PM »

Curious, if ya don’t mind me asking what year?  And how he met her?   I went to high school with Isabella Hoffman who Was on dear john, criminal minds among other stuff had a kid with Daniel Baldwin. Her mom has been a patient of mine for many years.  She still has this thick German accent(mom)  Isabella was a knockout in high school and still looks pretty good today
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #338 on: March 28, 2020, 11:29:25 PM »
Curious, if ya don’t mind me asking what year?  And how he met her?   I went to high school with Isabella Hoffman who Was on dear john, criminal minds among other stuff had a kid with Daniel Baldwin. Her mom has been a patient of mine for many years.  She still has this thick German accent(mom)  Isabella was a knockout in high school and still looks pretty good today

We were freshman in 86-87.

After he left Marquette he ended up getting a job selling real estate in Telluride. He was also active in the Telluride Film Festival. She was out there promoting on of her movies and somehow they were introduced.

I found out about him and Laura Linney by watching an award show. There was red carpet show and after she was interviewed I jumped up and yelled “There is Marc Schauer!” Called a few of my Marquette boys. No had seen the show. Well, later on during the show she wins and award. I think it was for the HBO John Adams series. In her speech she thanks “my husband Marc Schauer.”

Once it was confirmed I started seeing them together everywhere. He was a super nice guy. Hilarious. Very bright. From one of the Chicago suburbs IIRC.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #339 on: March 29, 2020, 06:18:41 AM »
There’s a massive CLE conference every year in Lake of the Ozarks. Nothing like thousands of attorneys coming in to kill off all of the fun.

You guys big into REO?

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #340 on: March 29, 2020, 10:47:13 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #341 on: March 29, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »
We started, The Plot Against America, on Monday.  I feel like this show is going to be a slow burn.  I like it so far, but it may not take off with a lot of people due to the pacing.  For the record, I loved Boardwalk Empire, but it also suffered from pacing for a lot of people.

We've watched first two episodes and we've liked it a lot so far.

FWIW, I loved Boardwalk Empire, too, but my wife was only meh on it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #342 on: March 29, 2020, 04:57:34 PM »
I'm bored, so I'm watching ESPN!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #343 on: March 29, 2020, 06:26:00 PM »
"The Two Popes"

It was good.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2020, 08:18:42 PM »
"The Two Popes"

It was good.

It’s on my list. Hadn’t had any feedback yet, so this is good to hear.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2020, 08:27:20 PM »
It’s on my list. Hadn’t had any feedback yet, so this is good to hear.

Yeah it goes in a direction I didn’t expect. But it made the story richer.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2020, 09:56:51 PM »

Linney is a very good actress. Her best film (IMO) was Mystic River.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #347 on: March 30, 2020, 07:23:34 AM »
I'm bored, so I'm watching ESPN!
To ger away from Covid, I was watching the replay of Duke Butler, and lo and behold the cut into the last couple minutes with the President...grrrr. Oh, and I still dislike Jon Scheyer.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #348 on: March 30, 2020, 11:00:18 AM »
Ozark Season 3 is sooooooooooo goooooooooooood

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #349 on: March 30, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »
Tiger King, obviously, completely lives up to the buzz and billing.  What a story.  Incredibly well done with the twists and turns.

The English Game on Netflix is fantastic for anyone who enjoys soccer or British period pieces.  Only gripe is its a mini series so just 6 episodes.