'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Purdue win looking good :-) Purdue 69 #5 UVA 40  (Read 11840 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Purdue win looking good :-) Purdue 69 #5 UVA 40
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 09:05:35 AM »
Do the Badgers still use a different ball than what most of the NCAA basketball teams use?  I know they always had, but thought I had read somewhere that they were changing the ball they use.

Also, I've noticed different balls being used all over the place.  Marquette's is always a Nike ball.  They were using a Spalding ball at the tournament they played in.  Wouldn't it be best to have a universal ball used for all NCAA D1 basketball games?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 09:09:18 AM »
Looks like the MU game was a massive aberration, and/or they can't shoot away from the Kohl Hole.

Or both.

Against us, Wisconsin shot 47.8% from 3. Against everybody else this season ... 27.3%

Against us, The Great Brevin Pritzl shot 75% from 3. Against everybody else this season ... 25.9%

And that disparity ain't only because of the quality of the shots. I've seen Wisconsin miss several dozen wide-open 3s this season.

We were on the road, our star didn't play well, and we had the misfortune of being on the wrong end of a way-better-than-average shooting night by our opponent.

It happens. Just ask Duke, Kentucky, UNC, etc.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 09:13:08 AM »
Do the Badgers still use a different ball than what most of the NCAA basketball teams use?  I know they always had, but thought I had read somewhere that they were changing the ball they use.

Also, I've noticed different balls being used all over the place.  Marquette's is always a Nike ball.  They were using a Spalding ball at the tournament they played in.  Wouldn't it be best to have a universal ball used for all NCAA D1 basketball games?
One  would think there would be  tight standards for ball size and makeup regardless of the manufacturer.  Read that article you reference and there is surprisingly a lot of latitude in the current standards.  From that article, the Badgers did use an off brand under Bo but have apparently since switched to one of the major brands.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 09:26:49 AM »
Or both.

Against us, Wisconsin shot 47.8% from 3. Against everybody else this season ... 27.3%

Against us, The Great Brevin Pritzl shot 75% from 3. Against everybody else this season ... 25.9%

And that disparity ain't only because of the quality of the shots. I've seen Wisconsin miss several dozen wide-open 3s this season.

We were on the road, our star didn't play well, and we had the misfortune of being on the wrong end of a way-better-than-average shooting night by our opponent.

It happens. Just ask Duke, Kentucky, UNC, etc.

MU is their Super Bowl whether they admit it or not.

Davison has heard that the flop rule was because of him: https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/men/badgers-brad-davison-under-microscope-with-new-rule-aimed-at/article_3b1602a5-523c-5c1e-a50d-24eb10323303.html

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 09:43:07 AM »
Totally agree, if the Badgers have a 10-year run like DePaul's from 2008-2018 I'd be very happy. I hope they don't even get a CBI invite this year.

Let them have a 07 year too cause you know they'd be convinced they should've been invited and it'd drive them crazy
Maigh Eo for Sam

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2019, 09:49:01 AM »
Amazing. 80% of scoop claims our won vs Purdue was luck.

WOJO sucks.

Purdue beats Vurgania.

WOJO STILL
SICKS.

This site is wrong.  Always.

You mean sports fan had strong opinions? And had the audacity to voice them on a message board created for sports fans? What in the actual heck, amiright?

There were some posts about Purdue being overrated and not as good as many had expected them to be after that win. And based on the second half they played (largely influence by our defense), that wasn't a crazy take a few games into the season. I'm happy to see that they might actually be a pretty solid team. That's a great resume builder for us.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »
Let them have a 07 year too cause you know they'd be convinced they should've been invited and it'd drive them crazy

Okay fine once every 10-11 years they can be good enough to feel like they should get a tourney bid but get snubbed. Good addition to my UW fantasy scenario.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 11:15:17 AM »
This is the ball article - pretty interesting

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28072023/the-hidden-disadvantage-facing-college-basketball-road-teams

"It was good when we played Wisconsin [with the Sterling ball]," Michigan State coach Tom Izzo quipped. "We just went out in the backyard, got a rock and tried to shoot with it."

Looks like they use a Wilson now - which is the Tourney ball but I don't think as popular as the Nike or Adidas

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/men/whole-new-ball-game-badgers-using-a-different-basketball-this/article_14772d2c-8c20-5dc4-95b4-17794627a3f1.html
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2019, 11:19:51 AM »
Looks like they use a Wilson now - which is the Tourney ball but I don't think as popular as the Nike or Adidas

This is interesting. Unless contractually required otherwise, I think all teams would want to get used to the tournament ball.

Consistency is generally good in sports.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »
Has anyone played with an Under Armour ball? What's so bad about it?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2019, 12:37:09 PM »
This is interesting. Unless contractually required otherwise, I think all teams would want to get used to the tournament ball.

Consistency is generally good in sports.

It's pretty nuts especially since the both the size and weight can vary (the latter by 10%) - that seems like it could make a very noticeable difference.

I wonder if any of the advanced metrics that home-away ball brand differentials into account.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2019, 02:28:40 PM »
It's pretty nuts especially since the both the size and weight can vary (the latter by 10%) - that seems like it could make a very noticeable difference.

I wonder if any of the advanced metrics that home-away ball brand differentials into account.
Holy crap I’d never heard about this ball nonsense. That’s the most UW basketball thing ever.
No Finish Line

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2019, 03:42:43 PM »
Holy crap I’d never heard about this ball nonsense. That’s the most UW basketball thing ever.
Same.  I didn't even realize that there was no official ball, or that UW of Madison choose to go off brand.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2019, 09:09:29 PM »

Last month

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59362.msg1174026#msg1174026

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2019, 09:16:38 PM »
IU heads to the Kohl Center Saturday and the have dominated the Hoosiers there.  We will see how bad they are if they can’t continue to handle them at home.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2019, 11:32:23 PM »

To their credit Syracuse university did a study of Nike balls vs others.  This article covers it - and was before WI switched to Wilson balls.
http://dailyorange.com/2016/11/wisconsins-use-sterling-basketballs-reflects-inconsistency-throughout-ncaa/

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2019, 09:28:18 PM »
And they shot 5-22 from 3P I believe.  Looks like the MU game was a massive aberration, and/or they can't shoot away from the Kohl Hole.

Serious question.  How long has a team gone into the season where they have won every home game they have played, and lost every game away from home that they've played?  Surely some SWAC team only played buy away games that they lost through the entire non-conference.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401166112

I fully expect them to beat UWM and Rider at home, and lose @Tenn and @OSU.  January 8th road game against Illinois is winable, although in theory so was tonight. 

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2019, 09:37:02 PM »
Cant believe MU lost that game vs UW. Every loss UW gets sucks because it shows MU was a much better team that ended up facing an abnormally hot shooting team that day.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2019, 09:39:45 PM »
Rutgers hehe.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2019, 10:35:26 PM »
The RAC Attack lives on
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2019, 10:42:04 AM »
As stated before.  This badger team flat out stinks.  I remember some smart guy saying they would get plenty of scalps this year.  And anybody who previously stated Nate Reuvers was really good is blind. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2019, 10:53:33 AM »
I like Reuvers. But he is not Happ and he has no help
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2019, 10:53:41 AM »
As stated before.  This badger team flat out stinks.  I remember some smart guy saying they would get plenty of scalps this year.  And anybody who previously stated Nate Reuvers was really good is blind.

A reminder that Potter is eligible for the next game. Reuvers’ role will change. Your premise holds, though, but Bucky should be better.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »
A reminder that Potter is eligible for the next game. Reuvers’ role will change. Your premise holds, though, but Bucky should be better.

Poor Potter, there has to be so much pressure on him. So many fans think they would have been unbeaten IF the damn NCAA gave him a waiver. If he doesn't perform like Superman there will be much disappointment in Buckyville.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2019, 01:54:45 PM »
Poor Potter, there has to be so much pressure on him. So many fans think they would have been unbeaten IF the damn NCAA gave him a waiver. If he doesn't perform like Superman there will be much disappointment in Buckyville.

the next Harry Froling?