Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The ball matters and other stuff  (Read 6406 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
The ball matters and other stuff
« on: November 21, 2019, 09:30:55 AM »
Interesting article on how the home team picks the ball mfg and it can make a difference

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28072023/the-hidden-disadvantage-facing-college-basketball-road-teams
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
Re: The ball matters and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 09:48:37 AM »
Interesting article on how the home team picks the ball mfg and it can make a difference

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28072023/the-hidden-disadvantage-facing-college-basketball-road-teams

Wasn't there a bit of a hub-bub about UW-madison choosing to play with a ball that almost no one uses?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 09:51:07 AM »
Wasn't there a bit of a hub-bub about UW-madison choosing to play with a ball that almost no one uses?

Mentioned in the second paragraph...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 09:55:59 AM »

It’s mentioned in the article but the ball in question was “Sterling”.  A great Bo Ryan grift
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 09:57:56 AM »
Anyone know if we practice with the other teams brand before we play them?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 10:47:33 AM »

Did it have laces?
Have some patience, FFS.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 10:54:25 AM »
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »
So does a 29.5 inch ball have a better chance of going through the basket than a 30 inch? Is the diameter of the basketball rim the same or does that have a range as well?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 11:02:56 AM »

Kohl Center rims are also softer than Vanilla Soft Serve. Fiserv rims are trampolines in comparison.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 11:04:53 AM »
So does a 29.5 inch ball have a better chance of going through the basket than a 30 inch? Is the diameter of the basketball rim the same or does that have a range as well?

And does anyone go full Brady and try to under/over inflate basketballs for an advantage?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 11:09:26 AM »

Mentioned in the second paragraph...

My bad.

Didn't read.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 11:45:43 AM »
Anyone know if we practice with the other teams brand before we play them?

I know they use to, but cannot speak to how Wojo does it.  It would surprise me if they did not.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 12:51:31 PM »
Kohl Center rims are also softer than Vanilla Soft Serve. Fiserv rims are trampolines in comparison.

that's a decision up to the team. However, rims must be calibrated within a certain scale for softness/hardness (I know, not technical jargon but I don't know how else to describe it) before the season. That then must be recorded and sent to the conference. Just another part of home-court advantage.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »
that's a decision up to the team. However, rims must be calibrated within a certain scale for softness/hardness (I know, not technical jargon but I don't know how else to describe it) before the season. That then must be recorded and sent to the conference. Just another part of home-court advantage.

I kinda feel sorry for whoever has to do that.
I don't think I would want the rim job.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 01:03:06 PM »

Of course if that's all you did it would leave a bad taste in your mouth. But there are probably lots of other kinds of jobs that person is doing.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 03:03:55 PM »

But with the money made you could buy your sweetheart some pearls
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 03:45:11 PM »
I always wondered if a team could make one rim different than the other.
Knowing you have the better basket you could speed up the game and knowing when you have the tougher basket you could slow down the game.
Either way it could be a mind game on the opposing team.

feedback