[Today at 09:44:45 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Did you guys ever think?  (Read 40814 times)

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
Re: Did you guys ever think?
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2019, 04:46:21 PM »
Year Six and zero votes in the poll is not a good look.  I don't know how that's a positive trajectory following last year.  I guess we haven't had two starters quit yet, at least.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2019, 04:51:46 PM »
Year Six and zero votes in the poll is not a good look.  I don't know how that's a positive trajectory following last year.  I guess we haven't had two starters quit yet, at least.
It's those zany Hausers!!  They sure foiled Wojo's master plan.  Just as we were about to make a Final Four too!  Pay no attention to the Murray State result, nor the entire month of February.  Just blips on the radar on Wojo's trajectory to stardom!

/s

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2019, 04:59:07 PM »
I can’t believe people are arguing about votes in the AP poll on December 3rd.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2019, 05:03:58 PM »
It's those zany Hausers!!  They sure foiled Wojo's master plan.  Just as we were about to make a Final Four too!  Pay no attention to the Murray State result, nor the entire month of February.  Just blips on the radar on Wojo's trajectory to stardom!

The end of year 5 sucked. No doubt. But it was still our best year under Wojo. That's the trajectory.

Year 2 was better than year 1. Year 3 was better than Year 2. Year 4 was a slight step back from Year 3. But year 5 was better than year 3 and 4.

The trajectory is up. We have 5 data points. The arrow is pointing up. Let's see where we are at the end of this year. I just don't understand the point of debating this now. If we miss the tournament this year, even after losing 2 starters, I think most of us would say it's time for a change. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't understand debating on a game-to-game basis.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2019, 05:10:47 PM »
Translation:  Someone shares a different opinion than me.
I'm not even following this argument, but you are the absolute worst.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2019, 05:21:43 PM »
Ah.  Okay, got it.  So all those incredible weapons that the guy who quit on his team and intentionally threw a season left Wojo must've transferred up and really done amazing things when they left the program, right?

Wait, nope.  One transferred to a high major (Burton) and had a nice 5th year senior season (when he would've already graduated Marquette), one transferred to a high major and was just a guy (Wilson), and 3 transferred down to mid/low majors (Taylor, Cohen, Dawson).

Juan had 2 years prior to Buzz quitting in which he did nothing.  Toddler decided he didn't want to show up to workouts with the team.

AKA Wojo inherited one nice piece, and that piece happened to be an in city kid whose mom passed away during that period.  Wow.  What a full cupboard.  I take it all back, any competent coach would've steamrolled through the Big East with what he was left with.
There was plenty enough talent as Mr Elonsmusk has pointed out. The problem is our coach had no experience as a college head coach and didn’t know how to properly put together a cohesive strategy for winning in his first year.

Deonte is in the NBA now and was Coming off a freshman season where he made The All Big East freshman team. Wojo was inexperienced and ran him off , contrary to the PR around this case.

Duane played an important role on our team beating Villanova and making the NCAA tournament. He was the starting point guard for Texas A and M when they  made it into the top ten prior to his injury there.

Luke was also a key factor in our NCAA team and had a solid career and is now doing very well in the highest Euro League

JJJ had a solid career and was a key factor in our NCAA run

Juan Anderson was recently invited to the Warriors training camp and his been on their G league team the last two years

Sandy Cohen playing in the top European League

John Dawson has made the Charlotte Hornets G League team 3 years in a row

ST jr playing in Europe doing well this season

Even Derrick has played in Europe 4 years in a row

Todd Mayo made G league before he imploded for good

Matt Carlino who was Mayos replacement made All Big East and was in G League and played in Europe
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2019, 05:31:14 PM »
I can’t believe people are arguing about votes in the AP poll on December 3rd.

Exactly.  It's embarrassing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2019, 05:36:18 PM »
There was plenty enough talent as Mr Elonsmusk has pointed out. The problem is our coach had no experience as a college head coach and didn’t know how to properly put together a cohesive strategy for winning in his first year.

Deonte is in the NBA now and was Coming off a freshman season where he made The All Big East freshman team. Wojo was inexperienced and ran him off , contrary to the PR around this case.

Duane played an important role on our team beating Villanova and making the NCAA tournament. He was the starting point guard for Texas A and M when they  made it into the top ten prior to his injury there.

Luke was also a key factor in our NCAA team and had a solid career and is now doing very well in the highest Euro League

Juan Anderson was recently invited to the Warriors training camp and his been on their G league team the last two years

Matt Carlino who was Mayos replacement made All Big East and was in G League and played in Europe

I'm glad these players were good enough to go where teams would have them 5 years after they graduated college.  Good for them.

That doesn't change the fact that there was a total of one high major quality contributor.  And that one did so in his fifth season, which he wouldn't have gotten had he not transferred away following the death of his mother.  I'll even be generous and give you JaJuan, who again was just a guy.

If people want to whine and cry about Wojo have at it.  But at least do so for legitimate reasons.  Not being able to roll through the Big East with Derrick Wilson, Duane Wilson, Juan Anderson, JaJuan Johnson, Sandy Cohen, Luke Fischer, Steve Taylor, and Deonte Burton isn't really one of them.  Nor is not receiving votes on December 4, or being behind Butler and Xavier in KenPom on December 4.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2019, 05:37:38 PM »
The end of year 5 sucked. No doubt. But it was still our best year under Wojo. That's the trajectory.

Year 2 was better than year 1. Year 3 was better than Year 2. Year 4 was a slight step back from Year 3. But year 5 was better than year 3 and 4.

The trajectory is up. We have 5 data points. The arrow is pointing up. Let's see where we are at the end of this year. I just don't understand the point of debating this now. If we miss the tournament this year, even after losing 2 starters, I think most of us would say it's time for a change. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't understand debating on a game-to-game basis.

Year 4 was a “slight” step back?  We missed the freaking Tournament with three of the best three point shooters in the country on our team.  The Tournament is the standard at Marquette.  In Wojo’s first year with all his own players, we missed the Tournament.  Year 4 was a failure, not a slight step back.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2019, 05:41:55 PM »

How many times will you lie about Deonte being run off?  Just because you tell a lie enough, it doesn’t make it true despite what George Costanza says.  You can’t offer proof, just like being on Quentin Grimes official visit.  It’s an insult to the program and Deonte
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2019, 06:01:56 PM »

If missing the tournament would lead to most of the the fanbase saying it's time for a change, then that doesn't say much for the job he's done so far.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2019, 07:19:01 PM »

Youre dead wrong. Tribalism is part of the human condition.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2019, 10:06:29 PM »
I'm glad these players were good enough to go where teams would have them 5 years after they graduated college.  Good for them.

That doesn't change the fact that there was a total of one high major quality contributor.  And that one did so in his fifth season, which he wouldn't have gotten had he not transferred away following the death of his mother.  I'll even be generous and give you JaJuan, who again was just a guy.

If people want to whine and cry about Wojo have at it.  But at least do so for legitimate reasons.  Not being able to roll through the Big East with Derrick Wilson, Duane Wilson, Juan Anderson, JaJuan Johnson, Sandy Cohen, Luke Fischer, Steve Taylor, and Deonte Burton isn't really one of them.  Nor is not receiving votes on December 4, or being behind Butler and Xavier in KenPom on December 4.

I notice they all forgot to mention buzz didn't succeed with roughly the same roster...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2019, 10:42:24 PM »
I notice they all forgot to mention buzz didn't succeed with roughly the same roster...

Yeah and when that gets pointed out it’s because Buzz quit on the team to stick it to the administration.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2019, 11:08:18 PM »
Yeah and when that gets pointed out it’s because Buzz quit on the team to stick it to the administration.

So Buzz fans have excuses. Projos have excuses. Whaddayaknow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2019, 11:10:07 PM »
If missing the tournament would lead to most of the the fanbase saying it's time for a change, then that doesn't say much for the job he's done so far.

Mostly agree.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2019, 11:12:37 PM »
Year 4 was a “slight” step back?  We missed the freaking Tournament with three of the best three point shooters in the country on our team.  The Tournament is the standard at Marquette.  In Wojo’s first year with all his own players, we missed the Tournament.  Year 4 was a failure, not a slight step back.

Slight step back in results. 53 in Kenpom compared to 32 in Year 3. It can be both a failure due to your expectations and also only a slight step back. It was disappointing to miss the tournament.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2019, 11:23:45 PM »
Come on now, Buzz quit in the last year because he was fed up with Marquette (not condoning this). 

However, that incredible coach actually DID win with us - big time.  We were a lot more relevant then than we are now - especially on the NCAA stage which is objectively the most important part of any college basketball season.

Why support a quitter?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2019, 11:45:18 PM »
So Buzz fans have excuses conspiracy theories.

FIFY

Where do I fit in this? I am both a fan of Buzz and support the current coach. I'm thinking of calling myself a Marquette fan.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2019, 11:47:41 PM »
So Buzz fans have excuses. Projos have excuses. Whaddayaknow
Buzz's teams have accolades (S16, E8, Big East), Wojo's teams do not.  Whaddayaknow.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2019, 08:57:00 AM »

Frustrated incels have to do something to feel better about themselves

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2019, 09:01:40 AM »
Where do I fit in this? I am both a fan of Buzz and support the current coach. I'm thinking of calling myself a Marquette fan.

No! You must state your allegiance only to one coach (other than Al, of course; we all bend the knee to him) or revoke your Scoop membership! And no refunds, pal!!!

Marquette fan? Marquette fan? How dopey.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2019, 09:06:40 AM »
No! You must state your allegiance only to one coach (other than Al, of course; we all bend the knee to him) or revoke your Scoop membership! And no refunds, pal!!!

Marquette fan? Marquette fan? How dopey.

I get how it's hard for some people to like Wojo. They only have room for one king (baron?) figure in their lives.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2019, 09:56:45 AM »
FIFY

Suggesting Buzz fans have conspiracy theories because he had one outlier of a year, in his last at MU when it was widely known he was at odds with Admin?  Okay.  Let's review the conspiracy theories put forth by the handful of vocal Wojo supporters who happen to be among this sites most "prolific" and voluminous posters:

- It took Jay Wright and Coach K awhile to get their programs going/first NCAA wins - at Army and Hofstra - so why should we expect Wojo to do any better at a program like Marquette coming off NCAA appearances in 8 of the 9 years prior to Wojo taking the helm? 

- Wojo was handcuffed having to play Buzz's players - "He didn't have his own guys."  (Yet to date still his best season at MU.)

- The "empty cupboard" of 7 inherited Top 100 players, all of whom are playing professionally in either the NBA, G-League, or in Europe.

- Nearly 20 years at Coach K's side wasn't enough to fully get what it takes to go from assistant coach to head coach.  (Yet in Year 5 as head coach at MU his team implodes.)

- Wojo wasn't an assistant at MU, therefore his job taking over the Marquette job was so much harder than had he been an MU assistant.  Weak at best.

- The Hausers were selfish kittens for transferring out.  (No failure of leadership here.)

- It takes 5 years to judge a coach, yet after a year 5 implosion?  (Nothing to see here.)

End of the day, he's been the worst coach at MU since Bob Dukiet through five years.  Maybe your patience will be rewarded with some occasional NCAA wins, yet he won't come close to achieving what Buzz did at MU, even if he's here another 5 years.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2019, 09:59:34 AM »
FIFY

Wuzzy