[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 01:53:15 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Terrap-le  (Read 34155 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Terrap-le
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
I mean, I will get criticized for this, but this is truly baffling to me. Are all fan bases like this?? It seems like the MU fan base always seem to try to "minimize" losses by pointing out some positives. I really don't understand that. maybe they are the type of person that tries to find positives in everything...maybe they are the one's that say "it's just basketball, it's not life" and don't want to be down about MU losing a game. Or maybe that's just their internet persona. Who knows. Everyone's different, I understand that. And as much as you can say "Bailey looked good, Sacar looked good etc, sure, those things are true, but at the end of the day...it was still a loss, no matter how you slice it. Nothing good ever comes from a loss. As much as Coaches and players might say "we have things we can correct etc" after a loss, which is all true, they still lost the game. Maybe corrections help you going forward to some extent, but that does nothing to help with previous losses you had. Point being, if you didn't do the things you did that made you lose those previous games at that time, you probably wouldn't have lost them. Winning is better than losing...always.

It's sports(and yes, it's not as important as life), and the only thing that matters in sports is winning or losing. Some may not like that or feel that way, but it really is true.

Uhm, no.  One of the things Kevin O'Neill and other coaches have told me over the years and I agree with them....you learn a lot more from losing than winning.  When you win, you get fat and happy, you think you are invincible, especially at this age of these guys.  When you lose, you get humble and you start to listen again...you become teachable.

If a loss means several guys gain confidence and helps them....then yes, it CAN be a good thing.   Go back and read up on UNLV destroying Duke in the NCAA tournament by 30+...the next year Duke knocked them out.  Read what K and others said about what they learned from the first game.

So it isn't a matter of other fan bases, it's a matter of common sense. I don't care if it is sports, business, etc.  Mistakes and poor performances can happen, do you learn from them and adjust or do you keep on losing and making the same mistakes? THAT is the question.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »
This is good but this is an MU fan pet peeve of mines. Many would rather have Markus be pedestrian and have the others show up in a loss than vice versa.

I know he wasn’t pedestrian, he was brutal. However, this reminds me of the game sacar played the point at Gtown and MU won last yr and everyone got so happy- I get it, but don’t fool yourselves with the big picture.

My wife who loves MARQUETTE basketball but isn’t nuanced in the sport falls for this- brendan and sacar and Jayce were huge today- we need that confidence. However, it’s an outlier.

This team needs Markus plus kobe plus sacar to score 50 a night to do damage. Double digits from brendan or a combo of others would be great but don’t fall into that everyone else carries the team trap pls

I don't particularly care who the others are that step up, but I find the more guys that have the confidence to be those individuals is a good thing.  I'm also looking at it for the future as I believe Bailey will be a big reason for our success in his junior and senior seasons.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2019, 06:36:48 PM »

I know he wasn’t pedestrian, he was brutal. However, this reminds me of the game sacar played the point at Gtown and MU won last yr and everyone got so happy- I get it, but don’t fool yourselves with the big picture.

Sam Hauser played the point vs. Georgetown last year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2019, 06:39:08 PM »

Despite being pressed the whole game.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2019, 06:39:23 PM »

Sam played a lot of PG that game but Sacar did as well. Sacar initiated the offense in the halfcourt a lot.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2019, 06:42:28 PM »
Was on a plane and watched a recording of this one late.

For the first 8 minutes of the game, I really liked what I saw. I remember thinking that this looks like two high level teams going back and forth trading blows. Really enjoyable start to the game.

Then came the last 12 minutes of that half. Woof. I'll be honest, I thought this section was more Maryland playing well than us playing poorly (not that we played well). During this stretch, Maryland was a top 5 team playing near their ceiling. Even if Howard is going off, we don't have the talent to keep up with that. Those two deep Cowan threes. are you kidding me? There's no good defense for those. Thought that this is what it feels like when Markus hits those shots on our opponents.

I appreciated the fight in the second half. It would have been really easy to fold and get blown out by 30+. Cut the lead all the way to 12. Koby or Markus make a few of their shots and all of the sudden we would have had a ballgame. Liked the use of zone here, really slowed them down. But Turgeon adjusted and started parking a wing in that short corner and it led to bucket after bucket. Wojo failed to adjust to the adjustment and the game got put away.

Awesome night for Bailey. Hope it is a harbinger of things to come. Great physicality by Jayce. Markus will be fine, need Koby to find his shot again. Have been disappointed by Theo lately. Think the quick fouls are messing with his approach. Need him to be a lot more confident on those offensive moves.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2019, 06:48:48 PM »
So because we lost today you don't think Bailey's performance mattered if it helps him gain confidence and turn the corner going forward?

Okay sure, but ONLY if it contributes to wins down the road...what good would it do for him to score like this in losses the rest of the way. If he can find some consistency, that would help immensely.

My whole point was, sure for a team/coaches/players losses can help you learn from your mistakes(but you'd still rather win, and learn from your mistakes, right)?? But as a fan...?? How does a loss help in any way??

Just keep in mind, every time they lose, the more losses they accumulate the more difficult it becomes to make the tournament or get a good seed. EVERY loss matters. So in that context there is no such thing as a "good" loss. I'd rather have an ugly win, then a "pretty" loss(by some people's definition this is a thing, I disagree) any time.

Every time you lose a game, it takes away a chance for a win and a good win at that, right?? So are you disagreeing that it would have been better for MU to win today, then it was to lose?? You can't possibly be saying that, right??

Were they going to go undefeated?? Of course not, no one is/will. But...I would bet you a MASSIVE amount of money if you have a team that goes say 28-2(and let's say both of those losses were to terrible teams, let's just say Evansville and Stephen F Austin) and you have another team that is 24-6 but all 6 losses were to teams in the top 10 by all metrics, who is getting the higher seed?? The one with the "better" losses" or the one with fewer losses?? This should be an easy one.

Winning is always better than losing. Anyone that thinks or says differently really shouldn't play or follow sports to be honest.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2019, 06:54:50 PM »
I don't particularly care who the others are that step up, but I find the more guys that have the confidence to be those individuals is a good thing.  I'm also looking at it for the future as I believe Bailey will be a big reason for our success in his junior and senior seasons.

Point taken cheeks, but if you always look to the future you lose track of the present. It’s nice to see sacar and bailey performing but you know what? One will be gone next year because he’s a fifth year senior and the other is 21/22 because of a mission. It’s always nice to have the others step up, but don’t lose track of the obvious.

This team needs Markus, and as an aside Kobe and sacar to make a mark. When Markus leaves, no matter who steps up, this team will be worse.

Will Karim, plus Dawson, plus Oso, plus the Baltimore kid, plus Kobe with Greg and the others be nice? Oh yea very nice. Will they be as good as MARKUS and whatever; Nah they won’t the year after sure, but don’t look into next year when you’ve got one of the best in the game with you this year

muguru

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2019, 06:56:15 PM »
Uhm, no.  One of the things Kevin O'Neill and other coaches have told me over the years and I agree with them....you learn a lot more from losing than winning.  When you win, you get fat and happy, you think you are invincible, especially at this age of these guys.  When you lose, you get humble and you start to listen again...you become teachable.

If a loss means several guys gain confidence and helps them....then yes, it CAN be a good thing. Go back and read up on UNLV destroying Duke in the NCAA tournament by 30+...the next year Duke knocked them out.  Read what K and others said about what they learned from the first game.

Okay and what if they learns things, but it still doesn't translate to winning games. Then what does losing do?? Any athlete or player every where would say they would rather win then lose, even if they could learn more from losing. If you win a lot, what do you really need to learn from your losses?? You have a couple each year...that happens regardless.

Ask Brendan Bailey if he would rather have scored 27 today(like he did) in a losing effort, or if he'd have rather scored 5 and they won?? You gain more confidence from winning then any individual achievement you may have a long the way.

So it isn't a matter of other fan bases, it's a matter of common sense. I don't care if it is sports, business, etc.  Mistakes and poor performances can happen, do you learn from them and adjust or do you keep on losing and making the same mistakes? THAT is the question.

And how much do you want to bet, Coack K to this day would still say all things being equal, he'd have rather won that game vs UNLV both years, rather than losing the first time and winning the next. He'd have rather had 2 wins as opposed to one win and one loss.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2019, 06:57:45 PM »

Winning is always better than losing. Anyone that thinks or says differently really shouldn't play or follow sports to be honest.

Thank you so much for clearing this up for all of us.  Had I known this years ago, my life would have turned out differently.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2019, 07:01:44 PM »
Despite being pressed the whole game.

Pressured (as any point guard vs a man to man is) not pressed. Never said pressed. Keep telling the lie, though. It looks good on you.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2019, 07:02:39 PM »
Point taken cheeks, but if you always look to the future you lose track of the present. It’s nice to see sacar and bailey performing but you know what? One will be gone next year because he’s a fifth year senior and the other is 21/22 because of a mission. It’s always nice to have the others step up, but don’t lose track of the obvious.

This team needs Markus, and as an aside Kobe and sacar to make a mark. When Markus leaves, no matter who steps up, this team will be worse.

Will Karim, plus Dawson, plus Oso, plus the Baltimore kid, plus Kobe with Greg and the others be nice? Oh yea very nice. Will they be as good as MARKUS and whatever; Nah they won’t the year after sure, but don’t look into next year when you’ve got one of the best in the game with you this year

This exactly Doc...this is spot on. next year is next year, 6 games from now is 6 games from now. All that should matter to anyone right now is the present..how do they do THIS year. How do they do next game, or two games from now. If Markus looks back on his career 2 years from now as the all time leading scorer but never wins a tournament game or only wins one, I can promise you as nice as it might be for him to accomplish what he did individually, he would look at it like "okay but I never won a tournament game while i was there, and that bothers me more than any pride I might have over an individual accomplishment".

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2019, 07:04:46 PM »
Was on a plane and watched a recording of this one late.

For the first 8 minutes of the game, I really liked what I saw. I remember thinking that this looks like two high level teams going back and forth trading blows. Really enjoyable start to the game.

Then came the last 12 minutes of that half. Woof. I'll be honest, I thought this section was more Maryland playing well than us playing poorly (not that we played well). During this stretch, Maryland was a top 5 team playing near their ceiling. Even if Howard is going off, we don't have the talent to keep up with that. Those two deep Cowan threes. are you kidding me? There's no good defense for those. Thought that this is what it feels like when Markus hits those shots on our opponents.

I appreciated the fight in the second half. It would have been really easy to fold and get blown out by 30+. Cut the lead all the way to 12. Koby or Markus make a few of their shots and all of the sudden we would have had a ballgame. Liked the use of zone here, really slowed them down. But Turgeon adjusted and started parking a wing in that short corner and it led to bucket after bucket. Wojo failed to adjust to the adjustment and the game got put away.

Awesome night for Bailey. Hope it is a harbinger of things to come. Great physicality by Jayce. Markus will be fine, need Koby to find his shot again. Have been disappointed by Theo lately. Think the quick fouls are messing with his approach. Need him to be a lot more confident on those offensive moves.

Outstanding recap, TAMU ... even if, apparently, you are only supposed to harp on the bad things and not even acknowledge any encouraging signs.

One thing that stood out to me was how differently Maryland defended Markus compared to how USC did.

I'm sure some of it (much of it?) was due to personnel -- i.e., the defensive ability, length, quickness of the defenders and the depth of each team. But could it mostly have been as simple as Mark Turgeon > Andy Enfield? (Davidson, another well-coached team, seemed to try to do many of the same things Maryland did, but Davidson isn't as deep and athletic, and they couldn't sustain it all game.)

Once upon a time, Enfield was the flavor of the month -- the next great young coach, the kind of up-and-comer many Scoopers seem to want MU to pursue if Wojo becomes our ex-coach. And I don't blame them; it's likely either that or another high-major assistant. I just hope when the time comes that we get somebody more proven -- and better -- than Enfield.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2019, 07:07:32 PM »
And how much do you want to bet, Coack K to this day would still say all things being equal, he'd have rather won that game vs UNLV both years, rather than losing the first time and winning the next. He'd have rather had 2 wins as opposed to one win and one loss.

Sure, but if they hadn't learned from the loss, they very well could have lost both....that's the difference.  They took a loss and learned from it.  For all we know, they beat UNLV the first time and UNLV is the learner and beats Duke the second time...we don't know, will never know.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2019, 07:08:47 PM »

I think our team, staff, people here are capable of both....the present and the future.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2019, 07:14:06 PM »
Thank you so much for clearing this up for all of us.  Had I known this years ago, my life would have turned out differently.

Not a problem! I mean, would we all rather lose money in our 401K's because "well at least some good came from it, I will learn from that mistake", or would we rather not lose that money to begin with?? I don't know about you, but even if my portfolio rebounds and I go on a long run of not "losing" money, I will like that, but I will still be upset mad that I lost some to begin with. Sure the amount of money I have now is great, but think about how much more I would have had I not lost that a month or two ago.

I mean, you say that sarcastically in a mocking way. But look at a lot of the posts after every loss here..It's a lot of "well they did this or that better etc". Then the ones that post about how it was bad, this was bad, that was bad etc, they get blasted because "well at least this was good". A loss is a loss is a loss is a loss.

No way if I'm any of the players or the Coaching staff am I getting on that plane "feeling good" that we just lost by 21 in a Championship because well, "good, now the players will start to listen more etc" or, "well hey, yeah we lost but Brandan looked good, maybe this will help him going forward". I promise you they didn't think those things.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2019, 07:14:30 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401187013

Check out Theo and Ed's combined stats.
Check out Markus and Koby's combined shooting.

The answers aren't always in the statistics, but sometimes they are.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2019, 07:18:46 PM »
The players and coaches are not happy.   But they are looking for lessons from the loss to learn and build on.    If they aren't they aren't very good players or coaches. 

I love MU basketball.   Have for 35 years.   But I gave up losing my crap when my team loses about the time I got facial hair and my voice changed.    Sports are entertainment.    Life and death is life and death.   
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:21:42 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »
Not a problem! I mean, would we all rather lose money in our 401K's because "well at least some good came from it, I will learn from that mistake", or would we rather not lose that money to begin with?? I don't know about you, but even if my portfolio rebounds and I go on a long run of not "losing" money, I will like that, but I will still be upset mad that I lost some to begin with. Sure the amount of money I have now is great, but think about how much more I would have had I not lost that a month or two ago.

I mean, you say that sarcastically in a mocking way. But look at a lot of the posts after every loss here..It's a lot of "well they did this or that better etc". Then the ones that post about how it was bad, this was bad, that was bad etc, they get blasted because "well at least this was good". A loss is a loss is a loss is a loss.

No way if I'm any of the players or the Coaching staff am I getting on that plane "feeling good" that we just lost by 21 in a Championship because well, "good, now the players will start to listen more etc" or, "well hey, yeah we lost but Brandan looked good, maybe this will help him going forward". I promise you they didn't think those things.

Are you comparing investments to basketball wins / losses?  Why would such a comparison hold water at all?

I'm sure they are not "feeling good" about losing, but I'll bet they feel good about the effort and how some guys stepped up....because that one step back can mean several steps forward for the season. 

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2019, 07:21:28 PM »
This was a game that could have been won but at the end of the day its not a big deal. I wonder what separates teams like Michigan from Marquette. both unranked but still return a good amount of players and Michigan starts with a brand new head coach, yet they are out there knocking off top 10 teams.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2019, 07:25:19 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401187013

Check out Theo and Ed's combined stats.
Check out Markus and Koby's combined shooting.

The answers aren't always in the statistics, but sometimes they are.

4 points from the bench.
0 for Theo. 0 for Ed. That has to get better.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2019, 07:30:16 PM »
I mean, would we all rather lose money in our 401K's because "well at least some good came from it, I will learn from that mistake", or would we rather not lose that money to begin with?? I don't know about you, but even if my portfolio rebounds and I go on a long run of not "losing" money, I will like that, but I will still be upset mad that I lost some to begin with. Sure the amount of money I have now is great, but think about how much more I would have had I not lost that a month or two ago.

A couple things here, guru ...

I don't like losing money, but I will say that I have learned a ton from my investing mistakes. Long-term, they made me a better investor. The smart person learns something from everything that happens to him or her, whether good or bad.

Of course I'd rather win every game than lose any. I remember my third year as a middle-school coach -- we had a really, really good team, started 11-0. Then we lost a close game. The next day, our AD comes up to me and says, "Maybe it's a good thing you lost. It will take some pressure off of the team and you can use it as a teaching moment." And I just said, "Yeah, maybe." But I didn't believe it. I felt that we could have learned plenty if we had won, too. I wanted to go undefeated. But we DID learn from it because that's what intelligent, determined, competitive people do ... and we went on to win the first championship in school history.

I really don't think anybody here is saying, "Yay, we lost to Maryland." Or even, "It's OK that we lost." But many of us are saying that it's not the end of the world that we lost and that, despite the loss, there were some encouraging signs as we go forward, things that might help us be a better team down the road. If you watched that game and didn't come out encouraged about Bailey and Johnson, I don't know what to say.

You don't like it when others tell you how you should act or how you should feel; you have voiced that strongly many times. But it's OK for you to tell others how they should act and feel?

I'd have rather beaten Maryland.  I definitely would have rather beaten Wisconsin. I'd rather go into the national title game undefeated, because there's pressure either way. But when my alma mater's basketball team loses, I do try to look objectively at what happened, and yes I usually am able to find some encouraging signs. If you think that somehow makes me a "lesser" fan than you, I can live with that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2019, 07:38:34 PM »
Agree completely. Getting 2 wins this week was huge. Hopefully at least one of them turns out to be "quality" on Selection Sunday.

K-State is a key game. It's winnable for sure as just last week I saw Brian Wardle's Bradley team manhandle them. Although, it's a true road game so it won't be easy. Markus went off on them last year, so it'll be interesting if Weber is able to make any adjustments.

Is Air Punch an ode to Wojo's frustrated sideline antic?  If so, well done.

Afraid wins against K-State, Davidson, and USC, will sound better in name, than in actual reality.  None of these teams appear to be Top 50 caliber at this stage.  Davidson took it on the chin to losing to #65 Temple by 13 today.  K-State getting clipped by 13 by #131 Bradley on neutral floor?  Not good.

connie

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2019, 07:41:41 PM »
This was a game that could have been won but at the end of the day its not a big deal. I wonder what separates teams like Michigan from Marquette. both unranked but still return a good amount of players and Michigan starts with a brand new head coach, yet they are out there knocking off top 10 teams.
I am guessing the difference is coaching and talent.  But we learned something, so we have that going for us.  ;)
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2019, 07:46:13 PM »

Great question.  What say you after 5-years to judge, and now 6 consecutive years of absolute beat downs by Big 10 teams?

Does our coach have all of "his guys?"  Check
The silly and false empty cupboard excuse fully retired?  Check
An experienced and "old" roster?  Check
1st Team All American?  Check

So, it would seem in sports or business, the answer to your question would be:  Management isn't getting it done.