Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Terrap-le  (Read 34164 times)

Warrior2008

• Starter
Re: Terrap-le
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2019, 02:55:26 PM »
This reminds me a bit of watching FSU in the tourney last year.  We don’t have the athletes to out-athlete the top 15 or so teams.  To win we would need to impose our will or game plan on them.

Good of course was BB, Jayce and Sacar all coming alive. 

UMD’s game plan was smart and well executed.  This is a similarity in our two losses.  I still can’t figure out what we are trying to be on O.

Maryland’s defense was very similar to what Purdue and Wisconsin did, hard double on all Markus ball screens and switch all Markus off ball screens. I get the feeling we’ll see that a lot and it’s gonna be up to us to adapt.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2019, 02:55:31 PM »
With never having a match-up before, we couldn't be certain they were evil.  Now we know better...

I saw it on Twitter this morning.  Apparently doesn’t count

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2019, 03:00:41 PM »
End of the day, our team is a bubble team at best if Markus isn't in God mode.  IF* Markus plays in God mode, AND we see contributions similar to what we saw from Sacar, Brendan and Jayce today - we could be a Sweet 16 team.

Feeling better about things after a beat down ultimately speaks to the relatively low expectations most in our fanbase have for this team.

Maryland vaulted from 17 to 9 in Pomeroy rankings after today's win, and MU fell from 23 to 31.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2019, 03:04:46 PM »
MU has lost big to top 10 foes before.  They will again.   Most understand what we saw today.   A really good team playing high energy defense and completely selling out to stop Markus.   A good teaching moment.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2019, 03:09:33 PM »
The travels. Ed had another travel that was missed.
The turnovers on our inbound plays. Unreal.
The turnover the first time we see any press.
Not boxing out on a FT.
These things alone put you in a hole.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2019, 03:23:32 PM »

Feeling better about things after a beat down ultimately speaks to the relatively low expectations most in our fanbase have for this team.

This. nothing else. I enjoy all the different excuses though.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2019, 04:19:52 PM »

This is pretty much it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2019, 04:22:41 PM »

I mean, I will get criticized for this, but this is truly baffling to me. Are all fan bases like this?? It seems like the MU fan base always seem to try to "minimize" losses by pointing out some positives. I really don't understand that. maybe they are the type of person that tries to find positives in everything...maybe they are the one's that say "it's just basketball, it's not life" and don't want to be down about MU losing a game. Or maybe that's just their internet persona. Who knows. Everyone's different, I understand that. And as much as you can say "Bailey looked good, Sacar looked good etc, sure, those things are true, but at the end of the day...it was still a loss, no matter how you slice it. Nothing good ever comes from a loss. As much as Coaches and players might say "we have things we can correct etc" after a loss, which is all true, they still lost the game. Maybe corrections help you going forward to some extent, but that does nothing to help with previous losses you had. Point being, if you didn't do the things you did that made you lose those previous games at that time, you probably wouldn't have lost them. Winning is better than losing...always.

It's sports(and yes, it's not as important as life), and the only thing that matters in sports is winning or losing. Some may not like that or feel that way, but it really is true.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2019, 04:31:47 PM »
I mean, I will get criticized for this, but this is truly baffling to me. Are all fan bases like this?? It seems like the MU fan base always seem to try to "minimize" losses by pointing out some positives. I really don't understand that. maybe they are the type of person that tries to find positives in everything...maybe they are the one's that say "it's just basketball, it's not life" and don't want to be down about MU losing a game. Or maybe that's just their internet persona. Who knows. Everyone's different, I understand that. And as much as you can say "Bailey looked good, Sacar looked good etc, sure, those things are true, but at the end of the day...it was still a loss, no matter how you slice it. Nothing good ever comes from a loss. As much as Coaches and players might say "we have things we can correct etc" after a loss, which is all true, they still lost the game. Maybe corrections help you going forward to some extent, but that does nothing to help with previous losses you had. Point being, if you didn't do the things you did that made you lose those previous games at that time, you probably wouldn't have lost them. Winning is better than losing...always.

It's sports(and yes, it's not as important as life), and the only thing that matters in sports is winning or losing. Some may not like that or feel that way, but it really is true.IMHO

Fixed the end there for you Guru because it is your opinion.  If winning or losing was all that mattered, 250 programs would cease to exist because most of them can’t win.

Learning how to compete, learning how to get better, learning how to be a good teammate, those are all things that we learn in sports that help us professionally and personally in life. 

Go ahead, you have every right to lose your mind when we lose the the 5th ranked team in the country and call out players and coaches that are busting their ass, but I will chose to see that some guys are in fact learning how to compete at this level, getting better and being a good teammate.

I hope your bleeding ulcer doesn’t keep you up at night.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2019, 04:39:56 PM »

It's sports(and yes, it's not as important as life), and the only thing that matters in sports is winning or losing. Some may not like that or feel that way, but it really is true.

So because we lost today you don't think Bailey's performance mattered if it helps him gain confidence and turn the corner going forward?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2019, 04:46:56 PM »
Nothing good ever comes from a loss is the biggest pile of cowflop ever.   
My career is a firefighter.  We learn far more from the fires that whup us than the ones that go perfectly.
I have coached 37 different youth teams.  The ones that have skill and potential but who get humbled are far easier to coach than the ones who don't lose a game early.

The question and challenge is what you learn from a loss.   If no one learns anything, then yeah, a loss is a waste.  If you are always working to get better, then a loss is a better teacher than a blowout win.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2019, 04:50:28 PM »
Nothing good ever comes from a loss.

And here I was thinking this is the most positive I've ever seen Guru after a loss.

There were some good things today as others have said..

Because you also posted this...

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2019, 04:58:50 PM »
Big Johnson with 11 rebounds.  BB with 27 points and 6 rebounds.  Sacar with 21 points.

Maryland really good.  Overall a good result for the tournament on the whole.  A lot of work to do, plenty of good things came out of it.

This is good but this is an MU fan pet peeve of mines. Many would rather have Markus be pedestrian and have the others show up in a loss than vice versa.

I know he wasn’t pedestrian, he was brutal. However, this reminds me of the game sacar played the point at Gtown and MU won last yr and everyone got so happy- I get it, but don’t fool yourselves with the big picture.

My wife who loves MARQUETTE basketball but isn’t nuanced in the sport falls for this- brendan and sacar and Jayce were huge today- we need that confidence. However, it’s an outlier.

This team needs Markus plus kobe plus sacar to score 50 a night to do damage. Double digits from brendan or a combo of others would be great but don’t fall into that everyone else carries the team trap pls

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2019, 05:02:21 PM »

You’re right, Virginia learned nothing from losing early to Florida State in the ACC tournament last year. Duke on the other hand learned everything from winning the ACC tournament last year.

You might not like losing, but personally I felt a lot better about how they lost today versus how they beat Robert Morris a week ago.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 05:05:05 PM by Warrior2008 »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2019, 05:04:10 PM »
Nothing good ever comes from a loss is the biggest pile of cowflop ever.   
My career is a firefighter.  We learn far more from the fires that whup us than the ones that go perfectly.
I have coached 37 different youth teams.  The ones that have skill and potential but who get humbled are far easier to coach than the ones who don't lose a game early.

The question and challenge is what you learn from a loss.   If no one learns anything, then yeah, a loss is a waste.  If you are always working to get better, then a loss is a better teacher than a blowout win.
exactly. W's and L's means wins and learns.

I am way too old to get upset over a loss 7 games into the season.

For the teams sake, it would seem that a loss with Markus taking 12 shots us better than a loss where markus takes 25

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2019, 05:12:21 PM »

Really the difference is that the intelligent, rational, posters understand that winning is a process and each game is a learning experience and good teams will adjust. The irrational posters that are not able to put together any type of rational thought into sports besides pure anger and emotion, end up looking incredibly silly most of the time. The bottom line is we had a really solid tournament and are a better team than we were a few days ago. As others have said, the players and coaches will learn just as much from today’s loss as they will from the last two wins. I am looking even more forward to next weeks games based on this tournament.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2019, 05:15:15 PM »

It isn’t all black and white in life. I mean it is, but the human mind rationalized it otherwise and that’s ok.

At the end of the day MU got they ass waxed today. Down by 20 at half, down all game, overmanned, out coached, and out played. The human mind sees a career performance from Bailey, an awesome performance from Sacar and Jayce and says to itself “ok when Markus is normal and this happens we are for real.”

What’s for real is that today we had a crap Markus, crap Kobe and amazing role players and still lost by 20 to a good team. Both things can be true, having the hope when seeing the role players step up and MU just not being good enough if all cylinders aren’t rolling.

One thing is certain- at this point we can’t have one or the other. This team needs Markus being himself or at least a mini version of himself to win games v elite teams. That said, most couldn’t envision the help present for MU to become legit- the help is there, it’s just brewing itself currently.

My take? This team is legit defensively once the heart of the season rolls around. The Theo/Jayce/Ed inside monster (although not useful offensively)  to go along with the great perimeter defense will keep MU in a lot of games- average offense will win a lot and good offense will win most.

That said, MU will need 50 plus nightly from Markus plus sacar plus Kobe to beat elite teams. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2019, 05:17:04 PM »
Ed n theo 21 minutes and 3 rebounds combined
Jayce 19 minutes n 11 rebounds.
I know ed n theo are offensively bankrupt, the biggest issue is they dont rebound either. 
Start jayce give him as many minutes as he can handle.
Wojo was slow to try the zone cant wait til ur down 26 to try something different.  Then maryland adjysted to the man in the short corner, wojo should have switched from 3-2 to 2-3 at that point, never did.
Marcus needs tge ball in his hands hes not a great pg but mcewen is worse
Bailey looked great, anything good out of Sacar is welcome but to expect consistancy from sacar is foolhardy.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2019, 05:36:08 PM »
This is good but this is an MU fan pet peeve of mines. Many would rather have Markus be pedestrian and have the others show up in a loss than vice versa.

I know he wasn’t pedestrian, he was brutal. However, this reminds me of the game sacar played the point at Gtown and MU won last yr and everyone got so happy- I get it, but don’t fool yourselves with the big picture.

My wife who loves MARQUETTE basketball but isn’t nuanced in the sport falls for this- brendan and sacar and Jayce were huge today- we need that confidence. However, it’s an outlier.

This team needs Markus plus kobe plus sacar to score 50 a night to do damage. Double digits from brendan or a combo of others would be great but don’t fall into that everyone else carries the team trap pls

Porky couldn't agree more.  Is it too much to ask to for 4/5 starters to avg double digits?  Maybe it is not sure.  Is that common?  Everyone always says we need someone else to step up when Markus is off.  Well today, 3 players did and it still wasn't enough.  Seems to Porky we need a big that can score consistently more than anything else.   Without a Davante Gardner type, we're not going very far.  Great as it was to see Brendan break out of his shell today, Porky still favors Greg starting over Brendan.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 05:38:30 PM by PorkysButthole »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2019, 05:37:41 PM »
Greg over Brendan = 4 guards = disaster.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2019, 05:59:54 PM »
Obviously, I would have preferred 12-0, but I went into non-con thinking 10-2 would be excellent and 9-3 would be OK (as long as the losses were "good" losses). We are very likely to do the latter, and I like our chances to be 10-2 heading into BEast play.

Big picture, beating Davidson was so, so huge, because it gave us a chance to get two wins that likely will be considered "good" a few months from now and a loss that won't hurt us much if at all.

Beat K-State on Sat - won't be easy to win on road, but this doesn't look like one of the great K-State teams - and don't stub the toe against N Dakota St (which lost by 13 at K-State), and it will have been an outstanding NC season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2019, 06:12:25 PM »
Obviously, I would have preferred 12-0, but I went into non-con thinking 10-2 would be excellent and 9-3 would be OK (as long as the losses were "good" losses). We are very likely to do the latter, and I like our chances to be 10-2 heading into BEast play.

Big picture, beating Davidson was so, so huge, because it gave us a chance to get two wins that likely will be considered "good" a few months from now and a loss that won't hurt us much if at all.

Beat K-State on Sat - won't be easy to win on road, but this doesn't look like one of the great K-State teams - and don't stub the toe against N Dakota St (which lost by 13 at K-State), and it will have been an outstanding NC season.

Agree completely. Getting 2 wins this week was huge. Hopefully at least one of them turns out to be "quality" on Selection Sunday.

K-State is a key game. It's winnable for sure as just last week I saw Brian Wardle's Bradley team manhandle them. Although, it's a true road game so it won't be easy. Markus went off on them last year, so it'll be interesting if Weber is able to make any adjustments.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2019, 06:15:27 PM »
Fixed the end there for you Guru because it is your opinion.  If winning or losing was all that mattered, 250 programs would cease to exist because most of them can’t win.

Learning how to compete, learning how to get better, learning how to be a good teammate, those are all things that we learn in sports that help us professionally and personally in life. 

Go ahead, you have every right to lose your mind when we lose the the 5th ranked team in the country and call out players and coaches that are busting their ass, but I will chose to see that some guys are in fact learning how to compete at this level, getting better and being a good teammate.

I hope your bleeding ulcer doesn’t keep you up at night.

Do I sound to you like I'm overly upset?? I don't like that they lost, but I'm far more upset they lost to UW than I am Maryland.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2019, 06:27:41 PM »
Everyone knows ners and TAMU are the same people....good call.

This made me chuckle
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2019, 06:29:06 PM »
End of the day, our team is a bubble team at best if Markus isn't in God mode.  IF* Markus plays in God mode, AND we see contributions similar to what we saw from Sacar, Brendan and Jayce today - we could be a Sweet 16 team.

Maryland vaulted from 17 to 9 in Pomeroy rankings after today's win, and MU fell from 23 to 31.

You are on quite a roll under your new name
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback