[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A win is a win is a win is a win  (Read 44152 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: A win is a win is a win is a win
« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2019, 10:18:04 AM »
The season is young and could still turn out very nicely. That said, not a ton to be excited about at this point.

If we miss the NCAA Wojo should be gone. Full stop. Losing recruits or not, at some point you have to cut losses. 90% were expecting that from Wojo in the threshold poll.

But what I fully expect is another mediocre, slightly-below expectations season. A C+/B- season that keeps Wojo his job and gives enough fodder to the "upward trend" crowd ("2 NCAAs in a row! Progress!). The bubble will be weak, like always. Markus will go off enough to get us a few signature wins. We make the tourney in the 7-10 range and lose our first game. That will be enough for most.

Best recruiting class coming in a long time and you are saying this...lol.  Set the program back for another 5 years.

How is Arkansas football doing?  Tennessee football?  Etc etc.  They all made similar decisions and are struggling mightily. 

Wojo will be here next year regardless of what happens this year. Some of you really have to embrace this reality...unless he leaves on his own.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #201 on: November 26, 2019, 10:25:21 AM »
Yeah, this is the camp I'm in. The UW and RM games aren't one-offs, they are just two more data points in a 5 year evaluation. I really want us to win, and I would love if Wojo is the guy to do that, but having a RM game with an all-American, a junior transfer, a redshirt-senior 3, a 22 year old sophmore 4 and a defensive beast junior center is a real head-scratcher. For years we've been hearing how "youth" and "inexperience" were the culprit - well, that certainly isn't the case now.

I think you and others on the board are taking the RM game too much on its face. Markus played 26 minutes and was completely deferential--for a reason. People here keep saying that Wojo needs to coach more and that was a big coaching moment: making others actually play outside of Markus. Was it the result we wanted? No. But it was a win and hopefully something that helps people grow as a result.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #202 on: November 26, 2019, 10:29:53 AM »
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2019, 10:33:20 AM »
I think you and others on the board are taking the RM game too much on its face. Markus played 26 minutes and was completely deferential--for a reason. People here keep saying that Wojo needs to coach more and that was a big coaching moment: making others actually play outside of Markus. Was it the result we wanted? No. But it was a win and hopefully something that helps people grow as a result.

Outstanding perspective.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #204 on: November 26, 2019, 10:35:25 AM »
You do realize the difference between making light of the poster who claimed this versus ripping on the young man, right?  We all hope BB steps into the void left by the Hausers' departures but that doesn't mean the proclamation (a very "Magic-Dawson-esquese" one no less), won't and can't be critiqued.

Ha thank you, exactly what I was going for

tower912

• All American
« Reply #205 on: November 26, 2019, 10:37:30 AM »
Thank you, JB, for that entertaining trip down memory lane.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #206 on: November 26, 2019, 10:52:49 AM »
Omg 82 you are like a broken record, yet somehow even more boring.

Maybe I should go into game threads and rip this Marquette player for sucking, that Marquette player for being a dog, and the other Marquette player for being the worst. That's somehow much less boring.

Then, when we win, I can pretend I never said any of it. How exciting that would be!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #207 on: November 26, 2019, 10:56:17 AM »
Maybe I should go into game threads and rip this Marquette player for sucking, that Marquette player for being a dog, and the other Marquette player for being the worst. That's somehow much less boring.

Then, when we win, I can pretend I never said any of it. How exciting that would be!

It's only exciting if you have your posts littered with multiple spelling and grammatical errors in the process.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #208 on: November 26, 2019, 11:25:35 AM »
I dislike most of you

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #209 on: November 26, 2019, 11:28:48 AM »

It's only exciting if you have your posts littered with multiple spelling and grammatical errors in the process.

Mayb dem went 2 StN a1nal
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #210 on: November 26, 2019, 12:32:00 PM »
Best recruiting class coming in a long time and you are saying this...lol.  Set the program back for another 5 years.

How is Arkansas football doing?  Tennessee football?  Etc etc.  They all made similar decisions and are struggling mightily. 

Wojo will be here next year regardless of what happens this year. Some of you really have to embrace this reality...unless he leaves on his own.

And you need to embrace the reality that Wojo will continue to be criticized until he has some post season success.  As he should be.  Don’t like it?  Root for another team.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #211 on: November 26, 2019, 12:36:20 PM »
I dislike most of you

I agree with this analysis.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #212 on: November 26, 2019, 12:49:50 PM »
Brother Dad, many of us have been following Warrior basketball for decades. Perhaps you have too.

We know there has been injuries. Trust me, your point has some merit. But we also this is a senior-led team and the core of the team has been together for some time. The problems they are having should not be happening.

The reason we're so down is that we're seeing the same problems that have concerned us for several years: the hero ball, the lack of meaningful contribution from too much of our line-up, the lack of defensive steals, the turnovers etc.  The Wisconsin game disgusted us. The Robert Morris game scared us.

We are angry with our coach for allowing Hausershima to happen. He should have managed his locker room more effectively. We question the quality of this coach's offense and his ability to use his center. We see a lack of in-game adjustments. We actually want our coach to succeed and while there is division between the fire Wojo crowd and the let him develop crowd, we're all afraid if it does not work out, we're all condemned to yet another rebuild. Nobody wants that, especially with what we have coming in next year.
I agree with this analysis
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #213 on: November 26, 2019, 01:05:19 PM »
We way over-analyze our team, but if we were to do the same for just about any other Beast team we could find a similar amount of flaws.  It's November.  Chill.

Might as well just not log on until February, huh? Or maybe compliments only until 2020? Even better, we could just not watch games until conference play, since all the stuff going on right now isn't really all that important.

Sure, most conclusions drawn now are premature. But comments about what's actually happening are valid. Voicing concern about our offense is a perfectly fair response to the first 4 games. Wondering why we haven't seen improvement from some key guys is a pretty normal thing for fans. Why avoid talking about it?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #214 on: November 26, 2019, 01:12:25 PM »
Might as well just not log on until February, huh? Or maybe compliments only until 2020? Even better, we could just not watch games until conference play, since all the stuff going on right now isn't really all that important.

Sure, most conclusions drawn now are premature. But comments about what's actually happening are valid. Voicing concern about our offense is a perfectly fair response to the first 4 games. Wondering why we haven't seen improvement from some key guys is a pretty normal thing for fans. Why avoid talking about it?

If you're just going to talk about the first four games, sure, go for it.  I was just doing the exact same thing in a different thread.  I'm seeing a lot of comments on the first 5 years of the Wojo regime though.  If you're going to talk about games 8+ months and up, ago, maybe a postgame thread about the 4th game of the 2019-2020 season isn't the best place to do it?

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #215 on: November 26, 2019, 03:56:13 PM »
And you need to embrace the reality that Wojo will continue to be criticized until he has some post season success.  As he should be.  Don’t like it?  Root for another team.

You realize that Wojo can't change this until the next postseason which is in March.  Maybe you should focus on what he can control right now and not just criticize him.  He has had a great recruiting class.  He beat Purdue.  He is going to be the coach until at least next year. Don't like it?  Root for another team.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #216 on: November 26, 2019, 03:56:47 PM »

I think that's exactly the face that myself and others are concerned about Wojo asked the team to play the Kenpom 300 ranked team sans Markus. And the only reason they eeked out a win was thanks to some home cookin' by the refs. Markus can only take us so far and right now there is major concern about the supporting cast.

Hopefully it was just a blip. But we'll see. Nothing else to do but BS about it on a message board until Thursday gives us something else to talk about.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #217 on: November 26, 2019, 04:05:25 PM »
You realize that Wojo can't change this until the next postseason which is in March.  Maybe you should focus on what he can control right now and not just criticize him.  He has had a great recruiting class.  He beat Purdue.  He is going to be the coach until at least next year. Don't like it?  Root for another team.

This is a great point. If the gripe is "he has no March success" any such criticisms are useless for the next 4 months.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #218 on: November 26, 2019, 04:16:57 PM »

He's going to get criticized heavily after losses either way.  The people still in the 'wait and see' camp has dwindled after the collapse last season.  I'd imagine the 'put up or shut up' crowd will be out in force if the losses pile up.  Hopefully we won't have to worry about that.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #219 on: November 26, 2019, 04:25:02 PM »
I think that's exactly the face that myself and others are concerned about Wojo asked the team to play the Kenpom 300 ranked team sans Markus. And the only reason they eeked out a win was thanks to some home cookin' by the refs. Markus can only take us so far and right now there is major concern about the supporting cast.

Hopefully it was just a blip. But we'll see. Nothing else to do but BS about it on a message board until Thursday gives us something else to talk about.

My business partner's son is a Pac-10 Conf Wrestling champion and All-American.  He has a very good chance to be NCAA Champion.  He came into our office one day and I asked him, "how do you get up for a match when you know you are going to absolutely smoke your opponent" . His response was very interesting in that he said he basically goes into the match with one hand tied behind his back.  He will only do 1-2 moves that he knows he needs to work on and he knows if he doesn't execute on those 1-2 moves then he might lose.  So all week long in practice he focuses on those things.  Even though he knows at any point he could open up the playbook and destroy his opponent, he doesn't because for him it is about getting better for when he plays the guy he will actually struggle against.

I think that is a very similar story to the RM game.  Wojo sent his players out there with one arm tied behind their back so that they could practice and be ready for the future.  That is coaching and guess what MU didn't lose.  No one will care about the RM game in March but it forced the team to figure out how to score, how to play without Markus, and how Markus needs to incorporate passing into his game.  It wasn't going to be pretty but in the end it didn't matter.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »
Honest question: What do you think of the "play" we frequently run where Markus stands in the corner doing nothing while the other 4 guys try to get a shot? What is its purpose?How does this help him show he's a complete player? Is Wojo trying to prove to the rest of the team how lost they would be without Markus?
Right before he blew up in the second half, Edwards was standing against the sideline on the weak side, 40 feet from the ball. ]Crean did the same thing, so it is clearly great coaching.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:08:23 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2019, 07:01:29 PM »

Then all of you that feel this way, come back in March so we can enjoy the team now....he cannot have post season success until the post season, so the constant whining by some of you isn’t needed until then. Thanks
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #222 on: November 26, 2019, 07:03:45 PM »
During his entire Marquette coaching career, Wojo has never beaten Notre Dame.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #223 on: November 26, 2019, 07:07:46 PM »
Hence the term "hoopaloopin'. Even he can't believe more than 50% of the crud he pulls out of his rectal cavity.

Did you know Idaho is called the birthplace of television?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #224 on: November 26, 2019, 07:14:17 PM »
Yup. Critics of Wojo are often framed as being in the "FIRE WOJO!" crowd or that they're rooting against him or that they never liked him because he went to Duke.  Fact is we're in Year Six and the results have been underwhelming and that's on Wojo.  That's where the dissatisfaction stems from, and it's warranted.  We all want him to do better, but the question is, can he?

Critics who say fire Wojo or the equivalent are framed for being in the fire Wojo crowd.