[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A win is a win is a win is a win  (Read 44166 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: A win is a win is a win is a win
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2019, 05:13:23 PM »
4) One of the things that I think would serve Wojo well would be to find a former D1 head coach and have him come in either as an assistant or as a well paid consultant. Someone has to assume responsibility for in-game adjustments and has to somehow introduce Wojo to alternative offensive theories.

I said this in a conversation I had with my dad yesterday.  Wojo needs to find himself a Hank Raymonds, a Jerry Wainwright, a wily old Xs-and-Os guy that can strategize and gameplan.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2019, 05:28:48 PM »
I said this in a conversation I had with my dad yesterday.  Wojo needs to find himself a Hank Raymonds, a Jerry Wainwright, a wily old Xs-and-Os guy that can strategize and gameplan.

But what position would Jerry Wainwright play in the lunch time games at the Al?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2019, 05:33:41 PM »

Like a Rob Judson?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2019, 05:43:53 PM »
It seems like the best thing about Wojo's tenure is always the next few years. I'd just like to finally experience one of them.

Getting big recruiting wins is great and is a good sign for the respect Wojo has nationally, but it's tough to not see the things materialize the way we keep thinking/hoping they will during the season. And sure, we've been fine the last few years. We've made some tourney appearances and notched a few marquee wins. We have certainly not been a bad program by any stretch. But I think most of us had a little higher expectations than what we've gotten in the last few years.

And crapshoot or not, March matters. If we would have made the second weekend last year, a lot of the frustrations of the late season collapse would have been erased. Instead, we got a final exclamation point on the year, cementing the ugly ending with a good old fashioned butt whooping. Until Wojo gets a win in the tournament, that will continue to be a big missing line on his resume.

We were a pouty insurrection away from experiencing it last year. Amazing how people can’t see that. It cost MU a BigEast championship.

The insurrectionists also made for a horrible matchup vs Murray State. No foot speed to defend Ja and his team.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2019, 05:44:46 PM »
In his time at UCLA, from 1996 to 2003, he compiled a record of 145–78.
From 1989 to 2002 as an assistant and head coach, Lavin participated in 13 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.
During Lavin's tenure as a head coach, he was one of only two coaches in the country to lead a team to five NCAA Regional Semifinals (Sweet 16's) in six seasons - the other coach being Duke's Mike Krzyzewski.
Lavin's record at UCLA in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament was 10-1. His winning percentage (90.9%) in the first two rounds is second only to Dean Smith in NCAA Tournament history.
Lavin is the only college coach to have defeated the No. 1 team in the country in four consecutive collegiate seasons: Stanford in 2000 and 2001, Kansas in 2002 and Arizona in 2003.
Lavin guided UCLA to six consecutive seasons of 20 or more wins, as well as six consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.[5]
As head coach at UCLA, Lavin and his staff recruited and signed the No. 1 rated recruiting class in the country in 1998 and 2001.[citation needed] Lavin signed seven McDonald's High School All-Americans.
Thirteen of Lavin's former UCLA players became roster members of NBA teams: Trevor Ariza, Matt Barnes, Baron Davis, Dan Gadzuric, Ryan Hollins, Jason Kapono, Earl Watson, Jerome Moiso, Charles O'Bannon, Jelani McCoy, Toby Bailey, Dijon Thompson, and J.R. Henderson.

You're including assistant coaching?  Come on.

The man had great talent, would consistently finish 3rd through 6th in a so-so Pac 10 with horrific losses in the regular season, but got to the Sweet 16 a bunch so he was a great coach?  Drove UCLA fans here crazy.

20 to 30 point losses to Ball State, Cal, Oregon, Zona, Arizona State multiple times, a couple of 40 point losses to Duke and UNC....team was loaded with 5 star kids, #1 recruiting classes, future NBA players and in all that time ONE PAC 10 championship.  ONE.  That's how brutal he was as a coach.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2019, 05:46:10 PM »
We were a pouty insurrection away from experiencing it last year. Amazing how people can’t see that. It cost MU a BigEast championship.

The insurrectionists also made for a horrible matchup vs Murray State. No foot speed to defend Ja and his team.

Ja is abusing pros nightly right now. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2019, 05:55:18 PM »
I think this part of the disconnect between the "Fire Wojo" crowd and the "Keep Wojo" crowd. One looks at the whole five years, the other looks the last three.

Personal opinion: Once it was confirmed that 3/4 of the members of the 2014 class were decommitting, I anticipated that it would take three years for us to get a tournament worthy team. Maybe a great coach could have done it in two, but I don't think the ghost of Al McGuire with Coach K and Jay Wright as assistants could have gotten to the tournament in year one. I had no expectations the first two years.

Since those two years, we have gone NCAA 10, NIT 2, NCAA 5. Not great but certainly not bad. If we add another NCAA single digit seed this season, that's a solid four year cycle. Add a great recruiting class and I'm optimistic.

Well, I never said Fire Wojo.  Anyone who criticizes the coach gets thrown into that camp though, because it's easier to defend Wojo against that argument.

We can punt year one, but year two had the best recruit in 30 years and yet they couldn't muster a NIT bid.  Year three could've been a nice start, but then we regressed to the NIT in year four.  Last year's team was really good...until the locker room imploded.  Not a great look for someone who took until Year 5 to break into the Top 25.  Meanwhile the previous two coaches achieved much greater success with their own players at the same juncture.  Now we have a preseason first team all American senior and look like an 8-9 seed.  It's hard to get as excited about our incoming recruits when the all time leading scorer hasn't made a postseason dent.

But like I said, I don't think he should get fired.  He's gonna do enough to keep his job for a few more years at least.  But while you may be optimistic, I think we'll be having this same conversation in year seven. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2019, 07:02:42 PM »
Small Orange

I would take bets that this team is on outside looking in come March. Way too many holes and Howard cannot carry a team on his back without a couple more options.

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »

I'm still not seeing that. An insurrection, one player who quit trying his hardest, two guys who were a horrible matchup, and yet we kept playing them all the way through? A coach should keep control over his team even if it means benching a couple starters. It's not like playing them helped anyway since we lost all our games after their insurrection and they left the team anyway.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2019, 07:21:39 PM »
Goose-

Agreed that this is not a NCAA team, and I don't think it will be much of a debate come Selection Sunday.  If MU is a 8-9 seed, that would be Wojo's greatest achievement.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2019, 07:23:35 PM »

I guess that excuses getting beat by 19 points (in a game that wasn't even that close) to a team that lost by 28 points in the next round.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2019, 07:25:18 PM »
Warrior of Law

If Wojo gets this team to NCAA it will be a helluva of a coaching job. I would tip my cap to him.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2019, 07:30:46 PM »
If wojo needs to find another coach to help on adjustments then we dont need wojo as coach.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2019, 07:42:16 PM »
You're including assistant coaching?  Come on.

The man had great talent, would consistently finish 3rd through 6th in a so-so Pac 10 with horrific losses in the regular season, but got to the Sweet 16 a bunch so he was a great coach?  Drove UCLA fans here crazy.

20 to 30 point losses to Ball State, Cal, Oregon, Zona, Arizona State multiple times, a couple of 40 point losses to Duke and UNC....team was loaded with 5 star kids, #1 recruiting classes, future NBA players and in all that time ONE PAC 10 championship.  ONE.  That's how brutal he was as a coach.

His head coaching resume is there if you bothered to read it. More NCAA wins than  Wojo for the same number of years.

Every coach drives fans crazy. Hardly a revelation. Grow up.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2019, 07:53:24 PM »
Why does this even matter? So MU lost to Murray State because Morant was a good player, or because it was a crap shoot? I guess having good players  and good coaching does matter.  Florida State didnt seem to have a problem with him.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2019, 07:53:56 PM »
I'm still not seeing that. An insurrection, one player who quit trying his hardest, two guys who were a horrible matchup, and yet we kept playing them all the way through? A coach should keep control over his team even if it means benching a couple starters. It's not like playing them helped anyway since we lost all our games after their insurrection and they left the team anyway.

Wojo was in a very tough spot. When his successful career is over, he will write a book about what he learned from coaching...and last season would figure prominently. I’d bet there would be an entire chapter on managing fragile egos and helicopter parents.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2019, 08:01:38 PM »
  " I’d bet there would be an entire chapter on managing fragile egos and helicopter parents."

that's the whole book right there...with a forward by tim maymon, dedicated to david and steph ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2019, 08:03:59 PM »
Agree with the strategy.

Luckily for Marquette, we have one of the great players in basketball history in Kobe.

And an all-time MU great Brendan Bailey

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2019, 08:04:22 PM »
Wojo was in a very tough spot. When his successful career is over, he will write a book about what he learned from coaching...and last season would figure prominently. I’d bet there would be an entire chapter on managing fragile egos and helicopter parents.
A book or a PowerPoint presentation?
I kid I kid. I get that theres nothing he can do now but learn from it. But that's part of why he hasn't earned a full benefit of the doubt from me yet

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2019, 08:08:42 PM »
And an all-time MU great Brendan Bailey
JFC, lay off the current players.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2019, 08:12:09 PM »

Sounds like a real page turner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2019, 08:30:43 PM »

Didn’t Sam, Joey, and Mr. Hauser already write it down for him?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2019, 08:49:37 PM »
(x) Non-conference stinker to inferior opponent (UW-Madison)  Really?????

Look Porky understands the frustration and that game definitely sucked but not being a Wisconsinite or even a Midwesterner, Porky's take on the rivalry is more measured because the notion that UW Madison is an "inferior opponent" seems flat out unfair.  Less athletic?  Sure!  Inferior?  Come On!  This whole thread is basically about how we're not as good everyone thinks, at least so far, and say what you will about Wojo, but his record against UW Madison is solid.  Would anyone really want to trade a W at the Kohl for a home loss to Bobby Mo?   Porky wouldn't!  That's for damn sure!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:05:31 PM by PorkysButthole »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »
Goose-

Agreed that this is not a NCAA team, and I don't think it will be much of a debate come Selection Sunday.  If MU is a 8-9 seed, that would be Wojo's greatest achievement.

Happy to put $ on us not being a tourney team. Holla
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2019, 08:50:43 PM »
Small Orange

I would take bets that this team is on outside looking in come March. Way too many holes and Howard cannot carry a team on his back without a couple more options.

$200, I'm in.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback