[Today at 03:00:28 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Pakuni
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 282105 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #975 on: May 28, 2020, 08:33:40 AM »
Maybe.  But I agree with him.

Agreed. Just getting out ahead of it for those who think the millionaires are selfish while the billionaires continue to become more wealthy and can’t take a hit without the millionaires also taking a hit.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #976 on: May 28, 2020, 08:43:25 AM »
In today's world, I have no sympathy for billionaires fighting with millionaires.

Yep, this.  I'm always pro player in these negotiations/situations, but both sides are looking completely awful in this situation. 

Especially when it's guys like Scherzer complaining the loudest.  Oh, so you're only going to make $8 million this year for 82 games instead of $30 million (or whatever his actual numbers are)
 Meanwhile, there are millions out of work who usually don't even make $40k a year just desperate to get back to work so they can get a steady paycheck coming in. 

I feel bad for the guys who are on the fringe, the AAAA type players, hoping this is the year they stick or get their shot in the bigs because rosters are going to be expanded.  I'm sure they feel awful for Scherzer..   ::)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #977 on: May 28, 2020, 08:46:00 AM »
Agreed. Just getting out ahead of it for those who think the millionaires are selfish while the billionaires continue to become more wealthy and can’t take a hit without the millionaires also taking a hit.

You keep beating this drum, while literally no one has taken this stance.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #978 on: May 28, 2020, 09:15:42 AM »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #979 on: May 28, 2020, 09:49:36 AM »
The way guys like Scherzer speak out sets the tone for the lower paid players under him. Similarly, the way that the most powerful and public labor organizations like the MLBPA exert their power sets the tone for how other unions and labor organizations are viewed in this country.  This constant boiling down of everything to absolute wealth is depressingly reductive, and no one does anyone making less than them a favor by rolling over becaause they "don't need the money."

You want emergency pay for essential workers? Geez, if only they had some sort of collective whereby they could pool their marginal influence on their employers to exert greater wage pressure than they can exert individually. But there is a suppressive effect to us all looking at successful examples of that and then saying "well they are successful and their constitutents make money, so screw em when their employers try to renegotiate contracts that are less than three months old."  If grocery store workers had a union and went on strike for emergency pay, I like to think we wouldn't all be saying "I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for grocery store workers who are still getting paid while other industries are laid off entirely."  These things need to be judged by the power dynamics and contractual realities, not by an arbitrary determination of when the absolute dollars are sufficient to just be mad at everybody. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #980 on: May 28, 2020, 10:03:37 AM »
The way guys like Scherzer speak out sets the tone for the lower paid players under him. Similarly, the way that the most powerful and public labor organizations like the MLBPA exert their power sets the tone for how other unions and labor organizations are viewed in this country.  This constant boiling down of everything to absolute wealth is depressingly reductive, and no one does anyone making less than them a favor by rolling over becaause they "don't need the money."

You want emergency pay for essential workers? Geez, if only they had some sort of collective whereby they could pool their marginal influence on their employers to exert greater wage pressure than they can exert individually. But there is a suppressive effect to us all looking at successful examples of that and then saying "well they are successful and their constitutents make money, so screw em when their employers try to renegotiate contracts that are less than three months old."  If grocery store workers had a union and went on strike for emergency pay, I like to think we wouldn't all be saying "I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for grocery store workers who are still getting paid while other industries are laid off entirely."  These things need to be judged by the power dynamics and contractual realities, not by an arbitrary determination of when the absolute dollars are sufficient to just be mad at everybody.

I totally get what you're saying. I was a union guy for much of my career, too. But I do think there's a bit of a leap from the MLBPA to a grocery union, and I think most discerning people can make the distinction.

I also don't feel any "worse" or "better" for the players than I do for the owners; both always want more, as just about everybody does.

I do think those voicing their opinions should choose their words carefully, because most Americans have a lot more to worry about than some millionaire ballplayer feeling slighted or some billionaire owner feeling a tad less billionaire-y.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #981 on: May 28, 2020, 01:55:36 PM »
Labor is labor. From a societal perspective, am I concerned with the MLB owners trying to share the costs and internalize profits? Not really. Max Scherzer and Blake Snell have multi generational wealth and will be just fine. Not so much for minor leagues and players under pre arb contracts.

I think the MLBPA and other players unions are bellwethers for the movement writ large, though, and I'd be concerned about macro shifts and new norms in labor movements.

Agree with 82 that the players have a messaging challenge, as most of us are not inclined to be sympathetic to the plight of millionaires.

Scott Boras' memo is a refreshing perspective of this challenge:

https://apnews.com/103a8516de52f487b57173992a558816

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #982 on: May 28, 2020, 02:06:30 PM »
The players have a messaging challenge I guess, but you can't really counter an argument of "they make enough money already," or "there are thousands of people who would do what they do for free."

You really can't respond to those types of comments in any meaningful way - so you basically have to ignore them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #983 on: May 28, 2020, 02:23:41 PM »
And the billionaire owners trying to cut salaries further for more profit?

What profits? Won’t MLB will operate (if it operates) at a loss this year whether Scherzer is paid 15 million or 8 million? From a financial standpoint isn’t the best outcome for the owners no baseball?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #984 on: May 28, 2020, 04:58:28 PM »
In the NFL and the NBA, the league promotes its stars that is one way in which they grow their game.

MLB, on the other hand, has traditionally attacked its stars as greedy. It is now looking to blame star players for the lockout.

Rob Manfred has been terrible for the game, following the tradition of Bud Selig in helping the owners make mega-profits while refusing to promote the game.

Good for the owners and good for the game are two completely different things.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #985 on: May 28, 2020, 06:17:39 PM »
What profits? Won’t MLB will operate (if it operates) at a loss this year whether Scherzer is paid 15 million or 8 million? From a financial standpoint isn’t the best outcome for the owners no baseball?

For the short term, for 2020, yes.  But the owners stand to lose more in the long run if they cling to this short-sighted view.  They're probably going to have to just suck it up and take their 2020 losses for the long-term good of the sport, and recognize the fact that they make their money on the appreciation of the franchise values over time.  They could potentially suffer huge losses if the game's popularity is damaged over this fight that will make this year's losses look like popcorn sales.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #986 on: May 28, 2020, 08:36:13 PM »
Scherzer tone deaf.

Yeah, but he’s not wrong.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #987 on: May 28, 2020, 09:43:34 PM »
Yeah, but he’s not wrong.

Agreed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #988 on: May 28, 2020, 09:47:24 PM »
Agreed.

MLBPA has a small battle here and a massive war ahead of them.

I don’t see how they come out on top.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #989 on: May 28, 2020, 11:21:26 PM »
MLBPA has a small battle here and a massive war ahead of them.

I don’t see how they come out on top.

I think you are spot on.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #990 on: June 01, 2020, 11:33:44 AM »
Funny stuff. Judge dismisses libel case brought by Leeny Dykstra against a book by Ron Darling, saying:

“Based on the papers submitted on this motion, prior to the publication of the book, Dykstra was infamous for being, among other things, racist, misogynist, and anti-gay, as well as a sexual predator, a drug-abuser, a thief, and an embezzler. Further, Dykstra had a reputation—largely due to his autobiography—of being willing to do anything to benefit himself and his team, including using steroids and blackmailing umpires . . . Considering this information, which was presumably known to the average reader of the book, this Court finds that, as a matter of law, the reference in the book has not exposed Dykstra to any further “public contempt, ridicule, aversion or disgrace,” or “evil opinion of him in the minds of right-thinking persons,” or “deprivation of friendly intercourse in society.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #991 on: June 01, 2020, 11:47:33 AM »
Funny stuff. Judge dismisses libel case brought by Leeny Dykstra against a book by Ron Darling, saying:

“Based on the papers submitted on this motion, prior to the publication of the book, Dykstra was infamous for being, among other things, racist, misogynist, and anti-gay, as well as a sexual predator, a drug-abuser, a thief, and an embezzler. Further, Dykstra had a reputation—largely due to his autobiography—of being willing to do anything to benefit himself and his team, including using steroids and blackmailing umpires . . . Considering this information, which was presumably known to the average reader of the book, this Court finds that, as a matter of law, the reference in the book has not exposed Dykstra to any further “public contempt, ridicule, aversion or disgrace,” or “evil opinion of him in the minds of right-thinking persons,” or “deprivation of friendly intercourse in society.”

That's great stuff.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #992 on: June 02, 2020, 07:36:02 PM »

Legalese dunking is the best kind of dunking.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #993 on: June 10, 2020, 12:29:57 PM »
So ... MLB Draft talk?

Seems like all the mocks before today has the White Soc with either Patrick Bailey or Tyler Soderstrom. Then today, seemingly everyone switched their pick to Garret Crotchet. Either somebody knows something or somebody wants everyone to think they know something.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #994 on: June 10, 2020, 07:33:36 PM »
So ... MLB Draft talk?

Seems like all the mocks before today has the White Soc with either Patrick Bailey or Tyler Soderstrom. Then today, seemingly everyone switched their pick to Garret Crotchet. Either somebody knows something or somebody wants everyone to think they know something.

Love the Crotchet pick. Also fills a need as the Sox system could use a potential stud left hander. Hopefully he is Chris Sale, worst case Hader/Andrew Miller comp.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #995 on: June 10, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »
Love the Crotchet pick. Also fills a need as the Sox system could use a potential stud left hander. Hopefully he is Chris Sale, worst case Hader/Andrew Miller comp.

Like the stuff a lot, a little worried about durability.

Bummed that the Cubs took Ed Howard.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #996 on: June 10, 2020, 07:54:19 PM »

Being a historically dominant reliever for a couple years as a “worst case” would be pretty nice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #997 on: June 10, 2020, 07:55:32 PM »
Detroit farm system is loaded with plus arms.    Glad to see them take a bat in Torkleson.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #998 on: June 10, 2020, 08:48:43 PM »
Being a historically dominant reliever for a couple years as a “worst case” would be pretty nice.

Sorry, I should have stated “worst case ceiling comp”. Meaning they project him as a starter, but he could wind up as a late inning reliever.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #999 on: June 10, 2020, 11:25:01 PM »

There has been some speculation that the Sox will under slot Crochet and take Jared Kelley overslot tomorrow.  Which would be great.