collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 280216 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2019, 12:23:12 PM »
I'm happy to see some positive Sox talk on here, I know Sox fans are the minority here and in Chicago, so I for one enjoy talking about some good Sox news for once
There hasn't been this much positive Sox talk since they "won" the 2015 off-season by signing Melky Cabrera.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2019, 11:10:30 PM »
There hasn't been this much positive Sox talk since they "won" the 2015 off-season by signing Melky Cabrera.

Very snarky. Must be a Cub fan.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2019, 10:02:17 AM »
Brewers trading Trent Grisham to Padres, return unknown right now.

So much for moving Braun to 1B so this increases the likelihood of Travis Shaw playing more, which I'm not crazy about.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2019, 10:17:50 AM »
Brewers trading Trent Grisham to Padres, return unknown right now.

So much for moving Braun to 1B so this increases the likelihood of Travis Shaw playing more, which I'm not crazy about.

Luis Urias. So if he’s ready to contribute at the MLB level maybe Shaw won’t play. And who knows if Moose is back.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:24:28 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2019, 10:21:12 AM »
Full trade:

Shortstop Luis Urías and LHP Eric Lauer to Milwaukee, OF Trent Grisham and RHP Zach Davies to San Diego.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »
Luis Uriah’s. So if he’s ready to contribute at the MLB level maybe Shaw won’t play. And who knows if Moose is back.

Credit for Stearns knowing he can't roll out the exactly same lineup next year, and rolling the dice on a high ceiling prospect with lots of control. And a decent back of the rotation prospect in the lefty Lauer. Fair value given up, imo. Davies should do well in SD.

Betting that Arcia is non tendered. No idea about Shaw, but if I had to guess they're going to gamble on him one more year. Would still bet on Moose eventually being back and Shaw spending time at 1B.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
Credit for Stearns knowing he can't roll out the exactly same lineup next year, and rolling the dice on a high ceiling prospect with lots of control. And a decent back of the rotation prospect in the lefty Lauer. Fair value given up, imo. Davies should do well in SD.

I generally like the deal. Urias batted very well in AAA, but that was the PCL so everything there is taken with a grain of salt. The pitcher swap is my favorite part. Stearns capitalized really nicely on flipping Davies when his value is at its highest and got an extra three years of team control over what I think will prove to be a comparable pitcher.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2019, 11:15:36 AM »

Betting that Arcia is non tendered. No idea about Shaw, but if I had to guess they're going to gamble on him one more year. Would still bet on Moose eventually being back and Shaw spending time at 1B.

Agree.  I bet that's the plan.  Don't count out a Thames return.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »
Jesús Aguilar DFA’d today.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2019, 12:19:45 PM »
I bet they tender Arcia and give him one more shot to fight it out with Urias for the starting SS job.  If Arcia prevails Urias can play 3rd and Shaw can hit the road if he doesn't bounce back.  I still think Arcia has trade value even if they give up on him. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »
I bet they tender Arcia and give him one more shot to fight it out with Urias for the starting SS job.  If Arcia prevails Urias can play 3rd and Shaw can hit the road if he doesn't bounce back.  I still think Arcia has trade value even if they give up on him.

The Padres tried Urias at shortstop last year when Tatis got hurt. It went very poorly. You don't want him at short.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2019, 12:48:34 PM »
The Padres tried Urias at shortstop last year when Tatis got hurt. It went very poorly. You don't want him at short.

We'll see. I expect Urias to be the starter at SS on opening day. Obviously, he won't be the defender that Arcia was, but his offense will be light years ahead. I think his pop will surprise people, maybe a 15-18 HR for a guy who was .400 OBP in the minors.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2019, 01:37:48 PM »
How about Urias at 3rd Base?  I know he never played there last year at SD because they had an expensive Machado inked in there.  If Moose prices himself out of the Brewers' range and Shaw dowsn't bounce back, we may have just picked up our 3rd Baseman for years to come.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2019, 01:40:19 PM »
We'll see. I expect Urias to be the starter at SS on opening day. Obviously, he won't be the defender that Arcia was, but his offense will be light years ahead. I think his pop will surprise people, maybe a 15-18 HR for a guy who was .400 OBP in the minors.

FWIW, MLBTR said "Indications are that the club will utilize Urias at shortstop."  I have no idea what those indications are, just wanted to note it.

I had assumed that going offense-for-defense at short was more palatable with Hiura taking over 2B, but then I looked at Moose and Hiura's defensive numbers at 2nd - it seems crazy to me but Moose actually graded out ahead of Hiura in their limited samples. Then again, #defensenomatta, so maybe two below average defenders up the middle is just a price Stearns is willing to pay. Moose and Shaw would provide + defense at the corners, so maybe that's a consideration too if they're both next year.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2019, 09:21:40 PM »
FWIW, MLBTR said "Indications are that the club will utilize Urias at shortstop."  I have no idea what those indications are, just wanted to note it.

I had assumed that going offense-for-defense at short was more palatable with Hiura taking over 2B, but then I looked at Moose and Hiura's defensive numbers at 2nd - it seems crazy to me but Moose actually graded out ahead of Hiura in their limited samples. Then again, #defensenomatta, so maybe two below average defenders up the middle is just a price Stearns is willing to pay. Moose and Shaw would provide + defense at the corners, so maybe that's a consideration too if they're both next year.

Direct quote from Stearns  :)

Saw the Brewers are non-tendering Junior Guerra. That one is rough give he wasnt projected to make much for a key middle reliever...

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »
Rosenthal says Brewers would listen to offers for Hader. I wonder what the asking price would be... gotta be sky high for team control through 2021 on a dominant lefty reliever.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2019, 02:44:42 PM »
Moustakas to the Reds. (Cincinnati, not Russia).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2019, 02:50:11 PM »

Brewers infield is in a world of trouble.  Don't really have a catcher, don't have a first baseman, Travis Shaw has to play every day, and you're relying on a rookie to play shortstop and also be one of your better hitters?  Yikes.

Oh and the pitching staff is a mess.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2019, 02:51:19 PM »
Brewers infield is in a world of trouble.  Don't really have a catcher, don't have a first baseman, Travis Shaw has to play every day, and you're relying on a rookie to play shortstop and also be one of your better hitters?  Yikes.

Rumors are the Mets are interested in Hader in return for infielders.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »

4 years is too many for Moose, IMHO. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2019, 03:05:03 PM »
Rumors are the Mets are interested in Hader in return for infielders.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

So you fill the infield with trade assets from the Mets (or other team) and then you spend money on one or two starters, two or three bullpen arms, and a catcher?

There are a lot of holes to fill for the Brewers, and they should have some money to spend given they didn't resign Moose or Grandal, let Thames walk (though hopefully they're on the phone with him like yesterday), and traded Chase.

And I don't even think the Brewers should've given the money and years to Moose or Grandal that the Reds/Sox did.  But it leaves some big holes in the lineup.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 03:08:33 PM by wadesworld »

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2019, 03:20:12 PM »
4 years is too many for Moose, IMHO.
Especially at $16mm per year

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2019, 03:41:44 PM »
White Sox sign McCann for 1 year/$5.4 million.
Nice deal for the Sox, but it'll be interesting to see if this means they want to try Zack Collins at 1B/DH.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »
White Sox sign McCann for 1 year/$5.4 million.
Nice deal for the Sox, but it'll be interesting to see if this means they want to try Zack Collins at 1B/DH.

I think he plays quite a bit against RHP - some C, some 1B, more DH. Or possibly he's included in a trade.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2019, 04:02:33 PM »
It will be interesting to see what happens.

So you fill the infield with trade assets from the Mets (or other team) and then you spend money on one or two starters, two or three bullpen arms, and a catcher?

There are a lot of holes to fill for the Brewers, and they should have some money to spend given they didn't resign Moose or Grandal, let Thames walk (though hopefully they're on the phone with him like yesterday), and traded Chase.

And I don't even think the Brewers should've given the money and years to Moose or Grandal that the Reds/Sox did.  But it leaves some big holes in the lineup.

I'm on board with this. I'm glad Stearns didn't hit the panic button and hand out any bad deals, but in Grandal and Moose, Brewers lost two of their best three bats not named Yelich from an offense that already only finished 15th in runs scored last year.  Right now both corners are a black box, and there isn't much there for notable FAs.  Any moves are very unlikley to come close to replacing the lost production at C, so the pressure is really on to find some offense.